• Published 4th Nov 2016
  • 2,284 Views, 157 Comments

Book and Stars - David Silver



Twilight remembers a powerful being she met once before. Away from the rules of Everglow, perhaps a little summon wouldn't cause much harm? At the worst, nothing happens. At the best...

  • ...
6
 157
 2,284

3 - A Reading Rainbow

Discord leered at the larger of the two alicorns before him. "And who is this intriguing slice of chaos?"

Luminace bristled at the calling. "I am no servitor of chaos, Unspoken." She tilted her head a bit, realization coming to her. "Are you mocking me, or is this another echo?"

Twilight cleared her throat softly. "This is Discord. Discord, Princess Luminace, a guest."

Discord rolled a hand as he bowed low. "Oh, of course. Hello, Princess. Now, what was that about unspoken things and mocking?"

Luminace's curiosity grew stronger than her worry and she approached Discord to circle him. "Fascinating. Are you a god?"

Discord seemed surprised by the question, but quickly tried to smooth it over. "Of a sort, yes. I am the high master of chaos!" He brought up his mismatched hands and lightning arced between them with the scent of chocolate and a light spattering of pebbles, sugar, and confetti spraying free. "And you, I presume, are another alicorn princess?"

Luminace raised a brow. "Are there a lot of those in this world?"

Discord began counting on a hand, another finger sprouting as he got to six. "Six, if we include you."

Luminace shook her head. "You should not. If dear Twilight is the barometer of such a thing, I am above that. I may be of unified blood, but my power does not stem from it, rather the opposite. In my power, I claimed unification. Do you understand?"

Discord cocked a brow. "Are you gonna take that, Twilie?"

Twilight bristled instantly. "You will not call me that!" She gestured at Luminace widely. "She's a goddess, a for real goddess."

Discord's eyes traveled up and down Luminace. "I don't see the big deal."

Luminace nodded. "As you please. I have little reason to demonstrate myself for you. You do not feel like one that would take interest."

Discord hiked a brow. "Says who?"

"I have." Luminace turned to Twilight. "As we were speaking of--"

"Well, I don't need to stay here to be insulted!" Discord scowled a moment before he threw open a door that wasn't there a moment before angrily, stepped through, and slammed it shut.

Twilight let out a little sigh. "Sorry, he can be like that."

"He is not the Unspoken," agreed Luminace. "We are old friends. He has... an underappreciated task, and one he bears, forcing a smile and laced with a touch of madness. I do not envy him, but I respect him deeply." She leaned in towards Twilight. "Without the Unspoken, there may be no ponies on Everglow."

Twilight blinked at the mental image. "But... how?"

Luminace held up a hoof. "We could dive deep into Everglow history, but I would rather hear about your world. Tell me, do you study alone? Do you have friends who join you in the pleasure of learning?"

Before Twilight could answer, the sound of a window being opened came from above.

"Hey, Twi!" Rainbow Dash flew in from above with a big grin. "You finish the newest book yet?!" She saw Luminace and came to a halt, hovering in the air. "Oh, uh, sorry... Princess?"

Luminace smiled gently. "It would seem unified blood is a mark of royalty in this world."

"This world?" Rainbow hiked a brow, then pieced together the different proportions of their guest and clopped her fore hooves. "You're from Everglow! Sweet! I didn't think we'd get any visitors from there that weren't angry things."

Twilight gestured up at her friend. "This is Rainbow Dash, a good friend."

Luminace looked happy to see Rainbow. "And she is a partner in your studies, how lovely. Come forward, Miss Dash. Speak to me of the studies you share with Miss Sparkle."

Rainbow did flutter in closer, but looked a bit confused. "Studies? Oh! Yeah, they aren't studies, per se." She wobbled a hoof, then looked around a quick moment. She spied the abandoned Daring Do book and rushed for it. "Here!"

Even as Twilight colored, Luminace approached the book. Her horn glowed gently as she hefted it up and flipped through it as if looking for pictures. "A fascinating tale of adventure. Worthy of a more relaxed reading perhaps. It does not contain academic secrets. I feel there are falsehoods hidden among truths. Deciphering the two would take time."

Twilight tilted her head at the goddess. "Did you just read that?"

"Yes."

Twilight and Rainbow both shook their heads. Rainbow lifted her shoulders. "That's pretty crazy, but since you did read it, how did you like the part where--"

Twilight bopped her friend on the head lightly. "I haven't finished it!"

Luminace seemed amused at the two. "For some, the revealing of knowledge before they have earned it is quite a discomfort. We will have to speak another time on this book. It is a pleasure to meet any pony that would call Twilight a friend, even more so a fellow in study."

Still laced with a bit of red, Twilight shrank a bit. "But we're not... studying, exactly. That book is for fun."

Luminace glanced at the book held in her magic, then back at Twilight. "Do you read avidly?"

The two nodded.

"Do you not consider the actions the protagonists take?"

Rainbow looked to Twilight for help. She sighed. "The protagonist is the star."

"Oh! Yeah, totally."

Luminace smiled. "Then you are learning. It may not be the deepest of truths in every tome, but you are learning. Rainbow, please continue at Twilight's side. You two make an adorable reading pair."

Rainbow leaned in on Twilight. "Is she calling us marefriends or something?"

Twilight let out a loud anxious laugh. "Ha ha! No... She..."

Luminace glanced between them. "My apologies if I implied too heavily. Friendship is a facet of the universe I celebrate deeply. I would be quite happy if you remained friends forever. Romance... that I have less experience with. If it comes, I hope it does so gently and enhances that friendship. If it does not, no harm is done."

Author's Note:

Discord is not the Unspoken.

Rainbow is not Twilight's marefriend, just a friend who is a mare.

Typos are made, the story continues.