• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 1,497 Views, 277 Comments

Life Between Death - cierragp



Sequel to Love and Loyalty. War is difficult. Love is a luxury. Choices mean either life or death.

  • ...
6
 277
 1,497

Chapter 6 ½ – The Other Half

“Rainbow is not your sister. She is, in fact, you mother. Your birth mother.”

“What?” Scootaloo’s eyes dilated, as she comprehended the information. “Are you kidding?”

“She is, Scootaloo. I’m not kidding.” Lightning spoke softly.

“But…how?”

“When she was only a teen, she made an awful mistake.” Lightning shook her head. “She eloped with a stallion that was a liar, a cheater, and more or less a marerizer. As I said, she was young, somewhat stupid, and simple-minded.”

“What?”

“And then her family found her. Said she was a disgrace and disowned her. Even banned her from seeing anyone in their family. She nearly killed herself. Twice in fact.”

“But why would she tell you all of this?”

“Not all of it actually. I got some of it from Soarin.”

“But how would he know?”

“They’re friends, and he knows her well. Those two have been around here longer than I have.” Lightning paused. “Can you let me finish?”

“Yeah.” Scootaloo smiled sheepishly.

“As I said, that stallion was awful. He became abusive, violent, and pretty much a criminal. He was addicted to gambling. Rainbow ran away soon, and then she found out she was pregnant. She was single, poor, and alone, so she turned to charity. Then after giving birth to you, she couldn’t afford anything, which is why you grew up in an orphanage.” Lightning took a deep breath. “To tell you the truth, she was way too poor at the time to do anything about either of your lives.”

“Wait. She went through all of that?”

“Yes. She sent a lot of money to the orphanage, to have them care for you. Remember how you had joined the army? Rainbow wanted a chance at redemption, because she realized she couldn’t see you without you finding out. She posed as your sister because she wanted you to have someone. She didn’t want her past to become a burden for you as well. I know having you join the army may have not been the brightest choice, but she wanted you to be okay, and with her. I know she may had been absentminded or seemly uncaring at times, ”

Scootaloo could only stare in shock. The sister, the only family she had, wasn’t what she had thought it was.

“So, I’m not an orphan anymore?”

“Technically, you’re right, but please, don’t tell Rainbow about it. She’s already having a hard time. Please. Do it for both of us.” Lightning pleaded one more time, and left.

"And yes, I think there's something up with her and Soarin, but don't expect it to go anywhere soon. She's rather cautious and avoids anything to do with her past."

Scootaloo tried to comprehend what she had just heard.

Her mother…what she thought was her sister?

She had family?

Growing up in an orphanage, she didn’t know any family. The only family she had was Lightning and Rainbow.

Suddenly she had family now.

It was a strange feeling, to realize that you had something you thought you had lost.

But could she keep the truth away from Rainbow?

If Rainbow knew, it wouldn’t end well for either of them.

It would become a distraction.

But that did explain why Rainbow cared for Scootaloo so much.

She only wanted her daughter to stay by her side, without her knowledge.

It was just too much for either of them.

Perhaps, it was meant to be all along. But explanations would be hard. Maybe things were better, staying the way they are.