• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 1,497 Views, 277 Comments

Life Between Death - cierragp



Sequel to Love and Loyalty. War is difficult. Love is a luxury. Choices mean either life or death.

  • ...
6
 277
 1,497

Chapter 1 - Meetings in Midnight

Rainbow stepped out in the cool autumn breeze. Normally she would take a fly and relax, but her heavily bandaged body prevented her from even the most basic of movements. It was already six, no eight months into the war, and nopony had gotten anywhere. The dead bodies proved so.

She could only limp along the rubble as she struggled to reach their meeting place. She was well, or at least better than many who had ended up in the infirmary. The only serious injuries were on her good wing and her legs. It was certainly lucky - for her - she didn’t require major surgery or else she would’ve been stuck under painkillers for an entire day. It would kill her on the inside to see others die, yet she was helpless while watching so.

The tiny, if somewhat enclosed cove was perfect for ponies who didn’t want to be discovered, and it served Rainbow and Soarin well when they wanted to meet each other alone without anypony else interfering.

As it came into view, Rainbow finally stopped, short of breath, blood seeping through her bandages as she strained to reach her destination.

“Hey there, hotstuff.” A very familiar, playful and gentle voice rang.

“Soarin.” Although her smiles were hard to come by, every time Rainbow heard his voice she wanted to smile, to show him that she was alright, even if her attempts were futile. The injuries had always said too much.

“Are you okay?” His expression instantly changed to one of concern as he took in her injuries, running his hoof along the bandages and coming back with blood.

“I’m perfectly…fine.” Rainbow grumbled.

“You’re not.” Soarin’s normal easygoing demeanor had disappeared, and his face was set in a stern frown. “What have you gotten yourself into?”

“A war?” Rainbow muttered.

“You have to listen to me!” Soarin tipped her chin up to look her in the eye. “You are not fit for battle tomorrow. You’re already having trouble walking.”

“I’m FREAKIN’ FINE!” Rainbow yelled the last part, yet Soarin just shook his head silently.

Sighing, Soarin sat down. He did notice, however, the moon shining bright in the night, and the reflection in her magenta eyes were clear. The moonlight had also illuminated her rainbow mane, and despite her ragged appearance, Soarin thought she was beautiful. More than any other pony he had ever met.

Deep down, Rainbow knew that the battle with injury was one she could never win, but she also knew that they could win the war. But for now, she was going to enjoy the night. So many had been spent dealing with the wounded, comforting others, and paperwork, that she had forgotten what rest meant. She had no idea on how she could’ve survived this long with the pressure shoved in her face. Throwing in love, and the whole thing was already unbearable.

Soarin, on the other hand, felt better, but not much. Every day he lived the fear of losing the only pony he loved. Every day he lived with the fear that he would leave her alone to face the world. No one wanted to lose a pony they loved so much, even if it would cost their own lives.

“I think we should go now.” Dash said coldly.

“Okay?” Soarin didn’t understand what it was all about.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

“Squirt?” Rainbow asked.

“Dash!” Scootaloo popped out from her bunk, smiling. She idolized Rainbow because she was strong-willed, determined and brave. Rainbow always put on her strong face, because she didn’t want someone who looked up to her to find who she really was inside. “Guess what?” She asked, the excitement evident in her eyes and voice.

“What?” Rainbow struggled to listen. Her eyelids were growing heavier by the minute, and she didn’t want to miss what Scootaloo had said. The little orange filly had always looked up to Rainbow Dash, and Rainbow didn’t want to disappoint her.

“I have a date with Rumble!” Scootaloo squealed excitedly.

Rainbow’s pupils shrank to pinpricks. She could only realize the meaning of Scootaloo’s words. They meant a certain, and a perhaps painful death.

“What’s wrong?” Scootaloo asked, sensing the change in Rainbow’s demeanor.

“It’s just…” Rainbow couldn’t bear to let her face the harsh reality. Love couldn’t exist during war.

“Okay? I guess?” Scootaloo asked. “How about let’s just get some sleep?”

“Sure!” Rainbow grinned, before falling onto the bed snoring. She didn’t want to think of love anymore. It was just too complicated, too much of a luxury, and too fragile…
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

“Jeez, are you trying to get laid or what?” Fleetfoot asked, punching Soarin in the ribs. “Is that why you get here so late?”

“Nah. I was just out for a flight.” Soarin didn’t want to tell Fleetfoot anything, considering that if anything got to Fleetfoot, it would spread like wildfire. The entire army of thousands could know in just under a day.

“I just thought so. You are veerrry suspicious.” Fleetfoot dragged out the phrase “very”. “Jeez, you’re such a idiot.”

“Oh just shut up would you.” Soarin glared.

“That means I’m c-oo-rr-ee-ct!” Fleetfoot sung as she trotted away, presumably to “tell-on” Soarin, mostly to Spitfire. When Spitfire got mad, no one wanted to be stuck in her wrath.

Soarin sighed. Occasionally Fleetfoot could be really nice, but the most she did 24/7 was to tease Soarin about various things…having no siblings, no family, a ugly scar, getting Spitfire on his trail, and not being able to handle any sort of situation, especially romantic ones.

“Jeez, why are you such a nutcase?” Spitfire raised her eyebrows.

“I’m not.” Soarin put on an unamused look. “Fleet’s lying. Why do you guys always team up against me?”

“No I’m not! And we didn’t!” Fleetfoot pouted.

“Shut up, will you?” Spitfire deadpanned.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
“Is anyone awake?”

“Jeez, way to get us up.” Lightning replied sarcastically and rubbed her eyes. “Dash, it’s the middle of the night.”

“Truth or dare?” It had been a long time since anyone had played a game of sorts, and Rainbow came up with the idea of getting some fun out of things. If they were going to die, she hoped that at least she would still get to enjoy life, maybe not to the fullest but close.

“Dare.” Lightning’s smug grin was visible in the dark.

“I dare you to…” Rainbow licked her parched lips as she thought of ridiculous dares that she could say. “ask out somepony.”

“No problem.” Lightning smiled. “Rainbow Dash, will you not be my marefriend?”

“Seriously?” Rainbow mentally did a facehoof. “Is that all you can think of?”

“Fine…” Lightning pouted. “I’ll ask Thunderlane first thing tomorrow morning…if he’s alive, that is.”

Author's Note:

The very first chapter of Life Between Death is out. Enjoy!