• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 1,497 Views, 277 Comments

Life Between Death - cierragp



Sequel to Love and Loyalty. War is difficult. Love is a luxury. Choices mean either life or death.

  • ...
6
 277
 1,497

Chapter 9 - Alternates (Pt. 2)

“Commander Spitfire?” Rainbow asked.

“Yes?”

“I think I just found a good way to improve the performance of our army.”

“How?”

“So it’s like this,” Rainbow said, pausing. “The Crystal Army uses the method of making sure every one of their subjects only do what they command.”

“And?”

“We’re doing the same here.”

“So?”

“We need a new tactic. I was thinking that we should train them in combat, but in reacting to danger as well. Most of the soldiers are very bright, and I’m sure it’ll be nothing at all.”

“But when should they train?”

“Sombra doesn’t fight in springtime, because if he can summon a crystal then it’ll be his biggest miracle, so I think we can wait until springtime to train.”

“Why, you’re brilliant!” Spitfire exclaimed after hearing Rainbow’s new approach. “I think it’ll help very much.”

“Thanks.” Rainbow managed a smile.

“Now…” Spitfire dug around her papers. “We’ll definitely need…”
~~~
What was she supposed to do again? Look for a Rainbow Dash?

Silently, she slipped out from the hospital ward; activating the black crystal Sombra had offered her. It would enable her to become invisible, and slip out quietly as not to arouse suspicion.

They did mention that Rainbow would be in ward 23, taking care of Lightning Dust.

Fooling them both was easy, but she found the disguise difficult to maintain, particularly as she couldn’t use magic, and had gained a pair of wings that wouldn’t work.

Brushing the mane out of her eyes, she cursed the disguise. It would’ve been much more comfortable if she was going to stay in her own form, with her short mane and tail, instead of the crazy and messy mane of the pony she was ordered to impersonate.

Perhaps the war would be over soon. Perhaps she didn’t have to go around in disguises, and carry crystals to make her invisible. As much as she hated the Equestrians, she didn’t feel like making war. It was just too bloody for her taste. Not for Sombra though.

Sombra loved torturing ponies and making them scream in pain.

Maybe being bitten by a poisonous snake would be less painful.
~~~
Lightning Dust still wasn’t awake though.

Rainbow buried her head in the blanket, willing herself to just forget the entire ordeal and pretend that everything was alright.

Her best friend was hooked up on a bunch of machines – oxygen tanks, heart monitors, and complex machinery that she couldn’t place a name to.

Scootaloo was still back in her ward, sleeping off the sedation. Earlier then she had a panic attack and the only available method was one that Rainbow did not approve of. It was certainly relieving to stop the screams, but…

She didn’t know what do. Everything had started out simple, but it wasn’t going to end that way. It was plenty obvious that it would be so.

“Rainbow.” Someone had placed a hoof on her shoulder.

“Soarin?” She asked, turning around.

“Spitfire wants to see you.” Soarin said softly.

“It’s already near midnight! Why though?” Rainbow pondered.

“She said something about a plan to attack?”
~~~

“1st Commander Spitfire.” The letter read. “We are very sorry to inform that your suggestion for the Equestrian Army has been rejected. Please do think the resources over before suggesting an improvement.”

“But…how?” Rainbow didn’t get it.

“I think what they are saying is that it’s going to be too expensive. ” Spitfire shrugged. “But both of us can train the recruits and soldiers.”

“I don’t understand.” Rainbow said. “How can that be expensive? We’re not even paid much. Well, at least not as much as you did when you were a Wonderbolt.”

Spitfire made a face between a look of disgust and grimace.

“I told you to stop mentioning it.” She said, a stern look spreading across her features.

“Fine whatever zilch nada bullshit.” Rainbow muttered.

“You can be glad I didn’t hear that.” Spitfire said, chuckling.
~~~
“Are you okay?” Soarin asked as the two – Rainbow and himself – trotted to their cove.

“I’m fine.” She grumbled.

“Is Spitfire being too hard on you?” Soarin continued his ‘investigation’. “I know she may seem a bit hard to deal with and indifferent most of the time but she means well.”

“It’s not her. It’s the concept of this entire war. It’s silly, stupid even. It’s a foal’s game.” Rainbow muttered defiantly. “A foal’s game. Celestia is a foal. Sombra is a foal. We are all their toys. They’re fighting over toys. The land are their toys as well.”

“Rainbow Dash!” Soarin exclaimed after hearing her small rant. “Are you being serious?”

Rainbow saw it as her cue to mess with her goofy commander.

“Of course I am, darling…” She smiled, a lopsided, crooked grin that showed teeth.

“Gah…” Soarin groaned. “You’re just as bad as Spitfire. Seriously stop it.”

“Never…” Rainbow raised her head high, a satirical imitation of the posture of Canterlot residents, particularly the high-ranking nobles.

“Cut it out, would you? Sweetheart…” Soarin decided to mess around anyways.

Soon, the two of them were speaking in some sort of Canterlot accent, raising their heads up higher than any normal pony, snorting and laughing as they took turns imitating the snooty noble ponies.

“You know, this is actually fun.” Rainbow said, a smile on her face.

“We should really do this more.” Soarin said quietly. “It’s hard to even have some fun during war.”

“What do you mean?” Rainbow asked. “Do you mean it or are you just trying to get screwed?” She joked.

Soarin pouted. “That’s not funny.”
~~~
Papers, papers, papers…everything in Spitfire’s office was a flurry of paperwork. Paperwork hanging from the walls, paperwork stacked neatly on her desk, and her drawers were full of paperwork as well.

With so many that were enlisting, in an attempt to end the war, she had expected it to happen. But psychologically telling yourself something didn’t always work. Her current state was a testament to that.

Being the captain of the Wonderbolts was much easier. Paperwork wasn’t such a big deal. She remembered having sheets and unsigned papers from commercial programs and companies from years ago, and no one really cared. Here, it was very, very different from what she was used to.

She sighed almost silently. Hiding her emotions during war had gotten useful, and had become her signature skill right then. Gone were the previous flames and smoke and grandeur; instead, there was only a heart of stone left.
~~~
“What do you think life would be after the war, Rainbow?” Soarin asked softly.

“It wouldn’t be the same.” Rainbow replied bluntly, a smug grin on her face. “But maybe the stupid fan mares would come back.”

“Gah…” Soarin grimaced at the thought. “I think I’d hope that doesn’t happen.”

“And the Wonderbolt shows would be back. I think I’ll go and watch to bug you. You seriously don’t focus. I wonder how Spitfire even deals with you sometimes.”

“Shut up.”

“And you’re kinda stupid and over the top goofy. Not Pinkie Pie. You’re close. No offense though.”

“None taken.”

Author's Note:

A long awaited update for me! It was hard...