• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 1,498 Views, 277 Comments

Life Between Death - cierragp



Sequel to Love and Loyalty. War is difficult. Love is a luxury. Choices mean either life or death.

  • ...
6
 277
 1,498

Chapter 15 - Is there a Future?

Nine damned months.

Rainbow counted them one by one in her head.

The fierce gales had subsided, yet the voice of the Lunar Princess had played over and over in her head. There was no way she could have stopped the hallucinations.

She hated it. Hated being so important. So important to leading ponies to where their deaths lay.

Thunderlane was almost dead. So was Lightning Dust. As for Scootaloo, she was gone again.

She knew their luck would not be as good as last time. Good luck never lasted for her.

Maybe Soarin was still alive and better though. Maybe. The word loomed in her head, bouncing and dulling the voice of the Lunar Princess. Maybe. The word filled with utter possibility and utter lies. It was a lie that anyone she knew could still be well. It was a lie that the war was worth fighting.

Rumors of the Lunar Princess had spread silently. About that her banishment was staged, or she was romantically involved with her sister the Celestial Princess, or the ruler of the Crystal Empire, King Sombra. Another rumor had surfaced that she had returned.

Between the few and their variations, Rainbow was silent about the truth. She didn’t want to be marked a traitor, for she had not known who was their real enemy.

Who was behind all of this?

She wanted to talk to Soarin so badly, but Spitfire’s warning came back.

He is only using you to get what he wants.

It didn’t make any sense. She was only a sergeant, while Soarin was a commander. She had nothing to offer him. She was nothing.

Since he had nothing to want from her, she shrugged Spitfire’s warning off.
~~~
“Soarin?” Rainbow asked softly.

“Yeah?” Soarin replied lazily, stamping a multitude of documents that had piled up on his desk.

“What are all these rumors about?” She asked, staring into his eyes, searching for an answer.

“I have no idea.” Soarin deadpanned. “Stupid rumors that ponies focus on with no use whatsoever. It’s boring.” He scoffed.

“I guess I agree.” Rainbow felt she couldn’t agree more, because although the rumors were believable, it was no use. It would not make anything better for anyone.

“Sure you do,” Soarin muttered. “Look, I just heard something.”

“What? Don’t tell me it’s a rumor.” Rainbow joked.

“No. It’s about your sister.” Soarin said.

The blood in her veins iced over. She was certain it wasn’t going to be good. “What?” She almost whispered, daring not to say it too loud.

“The mare you’ve been calling sister,” he began, “is not your sister at all.”

Rainbow could not fell anything as the tears pooled in her eyes and flowed out uncontrollably. Soarin was visibly affected by her sobs, his face showing the concern that most ponies that went to war lacked. Without thinking, he wrapped his hooves around Rainbow, allowing her to sob into his shoulder instead.

He wanted to let her know that she wasn’t alone. He had always been alone, and it wasn’t a good feeling. He knew that her only friends were gone, and later that her sister was an imposter. Her sister was still in the clutches of a demon.

As Rainbow felt her tears lessen and stop, letting only the sniffles remain, she was still aware that Soarin’s hooves were wrapped around her, an unusually affectionate gesture.

The second time she felt the blood in her veins turn to ice.

Soarin could have wanted affection and nothing else.

It was the one thing that he didn’t have.

It was the one thing she had to offer.

The realization hit her as quickly as it had gone away.

She had a choice to make. But was Soarin as awful as Spitfire had stated? It didn’t seem so in the months they had been friends, or buddies, or pals.

It didn’t seem so to her.

Maybe she could just enjoy a hug once in a while. It wasn’t a sin.

It certainly made her feel better, even if his cares was fake, she would pretend that it was real. She could use a little comfort. And if Soarin ever needed her, she would be there for him. Always.

Mentally, she made her promise.

Little did she know how difficult it would be to keep.
~~~
The numbness cascaded into her body as the spinning lights subsided.

“Quiet, my dear.” Came a mare’s voice, soft, deep, yet rough.

Had she heard that voice before?

She couldn’t recall what it was that reminded her of this pony’s voice, but she was certain she had heard it before. Just a hint of an accent, stronger, and slightly sleeker. She must’ve not remembered it as deeply as she thought.

Maybe she would be safer now.

Maybe she won’t.

There was no such thing as certainty now.
~~~
Rainbow felt the gentleness that Soarin had so often carried with him.

“Are you feeling better?” He asked, concerned.

“I think so.” Rainbow murmured.

“It’s alright to cry. It usually makes people feel better letting out emotions than bottling them up.” Soarin whispered.

“Maybe. Or not.” Rainbow said, as the same feeling of helplessness overtook her.

“Just try to feel happier. Remember a happy time or something.” Soarin said. “Every time I feel lost or something I remember the time where I used to hide in the laundry during games of hide n’ seek with my sister. I would usually sleep there, and sometimes my mother found me curled up in a ball in a pile of underclothes!” He laughed. “But my sister…” He had trailed off.

“What happened to her?” Rainbow asked, already knowing the answer.

“She died during the siege of Cloudsdale.” Rainbow could see the pain in Soarin’s eyes. The bright green they were glittered even more as they held tears in them. “But it’s no use. She’s only a memory now. And I’ll do anything to avenge her. ” The same determination on his face resided as when he tackled a particularly difficult project, or a difficult mission. He was only five years her senior, which meant that he was twenty-six now, but he certainly seemed more mature than anyone could imagine.

Maybe that was the reason that she was in love with him.

She didn’t try to deny it anymore. She felt as if it had meant to be all along. She couldn’t deny what was meant to be anymore, now that even she knew about her feelings.

But why at such a time? Couldn’t there be a better time?

When the better time comes, but if it ever did, who would she be anymore?

Author's Note:

Whoa! Two updates in one single day! I'm proud of myself! *sarcasm*