• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 1,497 Views, 277 Comments

Life Between Death - cierragp



Sequel to Love and Loyalty. War is difficult. Love is a luxury. Choices mean either life or death.

  • ...
6
 277
 1,497

Chapter 23 - Too good to be true?

Scootaloo’s unhappiness was understandable.

She was finally back, and yet her sister had no way to care for her, seeing as the injuries she sustained during yet another one of those stupid battles.

She might as well as have lost the only one who truly cared about her. And her mother – it was still difficult for her to believe, perhaps even more so now.

There was no one left after all, and she was one of the lucky ones who managed to escape the spells. But was she truly lucky? She lacked friends, family, even more so love.

The so called Lunar Princess was such a sham, being a coward and wanting others to fight for her, instead of fighting for herself. It was rather justifiable, seeing as Celestia used her army to force rivals into compliance.

Luna was so strange though. Sometimes she went mad and acted like a child, sometimes she was afraid and curled up into a ball and refused to talk, and other times she wrote poetry furiously – sonnets, limericks, anything that came to her mind was immediately down.

Scootaloo wondered how messed up she really was. It seemed that her love for the monster was stronger than she thought. Poems entitled “Dark King” “Dark Knight” or other equally clichéd titles were strewn about the room as Scootaloo had to pick them up and make sure that no one would see them in the tent. Throwing them away proved disastrous, as Luna flew into a frenzy and demanded them back and Scootaloo was quick to admit her disposal of said items, and thus she had to keep them, like it or not. It was lucky that she had her own tent, and they wanted to keep it so, seeing that she was supposed to be “traumatized” and thus would not do with company.

Even worse, Luna spoke of a “glorious revolution” and was killing Scootaloo simply out of her madness. The madness of such an act – it was comparable to suicide, and a painful agonizing death was quite likely.

Scootaloo wondered where all the sanity went. And she thought – now such a laughable thought – that the Lunar Princess was going to help.

It looked as if they needed to help the Lunar Princess as well. Instead of what she intended to happen – to somehow find a way to stop the madness of the war – she ended up playing therapist when she had no clue what she was doing.

All was complicated though. There was no solution really, only more problems that they had to deal with. She considered all the possibilities. Another war? How in Equestrian would the ponies fight Celestia? Ending this one? It didn’t really solve anything, and Luna would never sacrifice her lover for peace. Scootaloo knew it was unfair for anyone to expect it to happen – had she been in the same situation, she sure as hell would die defending the ponies she loved.

Luna was once again, busy drawing up plans. Today she was particularly a bit more excited though.

“Scootaloo!” She smiled. It was very difficult to imagine that she was over a thousand years old. “I do know what to do!” She squealed.

“What?” Scootaloo was not in the mood for one of her outbursts. Infiltrating Celestia’s castle in Canterlot was not on her bucket list, and she would rather swallow maggots than risk getting caught. If there was anything Luna taught her, it was to avoid Celestia like the plague. Antique torture methods, the iron maiden…Scootaloo did not know what was real or what was false, but the fact that suspects often never left the castle after being caught did prove something.

Luna probably did not tell the truth – she had her priorities, but her version may have simply been a manifestation of such. Scootaloo was taking no risks.

“The Resistance!” She squealed again, and Scootaloo prayed that no one would hear.

“What resisitance?” Scootaloo asked.

“You think that Celestia has it all under her control, do you?” Luna said. “She doesn’t. I know of resistance teams. They will willingly follow me if I play it right. We just need to convince them to help.”

“How do you now?” Scootaloo asked.

“I have my methods.” The smile that appeared chilled Scootaloo down to the bone.

~~~

Rainbow winced as the nurse took the needle out before stabbing it back in.

She was not getting any better. Her entire body was stiff and sore and she couldn’t even walk. It was humiliating that she had to be taken anywhere and was bedridden for the past couple of days. She would rather fight and watch the blood spill than lie there and think only of the deaths that she would not have been able to prevent. Lightning was not dead but she had not even talked to her in the past month – she was as good as dead if the only way she was alive was through words that spread from Scootaloo to her. She was busy.

Soarin trotted in after a length of time. There was really nothing to stare at, as the roof was completely grey and lacked in any visible pattern.

“Rainbow Dash, there’s someone who would like to see you.” Soarin said, and she noticed a slight amount of resentment. She tried thinking what exactly she had said or done, but came up with nothing. Besides, Soarin rarely got angry and especially not at her. He preferred to talk things rather than glare at someone.

“I think you already know me, so there will be no need for formal introductions now, as that didn’t happen previously on the first meeting.” A tall mare stepped in. An alicorn, and had the cutie mark of a moon.

Princess Luna. The legendary Mare on the Moon, princess of Equestria, or Nightmare moon, depending on who one was asking.

Rainbow definitely knew. She had seen her before.

“Celestia fights this war like she knows who is wrong and right. She will end up killing most of you.” Luna said coldly. “I see you do not want that to happen. You ponies, and love. It does remind me of Sombra and I even if I do not see a future for either of us.” Her features drooped slightly, and she fought tears. “Now, I understand what will certainly happen should be caught, but I would need your help. Your combat experiences are more valuable than anything else. When I am crowned Queen, you do not need to be in my court if you wish, and I will give you a life that you would like.”

“What do you mean?” Rainbow asked.

“I can give both of you what you truly desire.” Luna said. “You’re heart’s desire.”

Rainbow didn’t quite know what she’d wish for. Being a Wonderbolt? Her wings? Health? Scootaloo? Soarin? Friendship?

“And if there is more than one thing you’d wish for, I will give it all to you when we have succeeded. I can give you one item now.” Luna smiled. “As long as you support me. I have my supporters, but I still need more soldiers with combat experience, otherwise for sure we will fail and be tortured and imprisoned.”

“Who else are you recruiting?” Soarin asked.

“You, Rainbow, Scootaloo, Lightning…” Luna recited a long list. “I know who I need, and I will grant protection to all that needs it.”

“And what do I get out of this?”Rainbow shook her head. “Do you realize what might happen?”

Luna simply smiled sadly, “I have the power to protect you and I will use it. Three rules – never follow any pony blindly, never trust any pony, and always stay in places you know. I can protect you well if you do these three things.”

“So what are you trying to do?” Rainbow asked.

“I want you to fight for me and not Celestia. I can save all of you and restore you back to how you were before the war. I know more healing spells and regeneration spells than you would think.”

“And how will that happen?” Soarin asked.

“I can stop the war temporarily, and we will escape then. I will give Rainbow back her wing and you…” Luna trailed off, unsure. She had no idea what she could offer Soarin.

“I want you to protect everyone you recruit. No one will die or be harmed for this.” Soarin said, staring Luna dead in the eye.

Luna was visibly uncomfortable with the stare, but she continued on even as Soarin skeptically raised an eyebrow. “Yes, I can promise you that.” She finally said after an uncomfortable silence.

“Then is it a deal?” Rainbow asked.

“Yes.” Luna answered. “Let me fix you up.”

The trail of indigo followed the shape of the feathers. The sensation was fairly strange, a mixture of pain and itching, intensified by the quick speed the magic possessed. It was something Luna prided herself in – she was effective in casting spells. In no time the aches and pains disappeared and the scar around her eye was soon gone. Her mane was much glossier and neater. She looked behind her, and to her amazement she saw not the cold, slate grey substitute for her wing, but cyan feathers – long and thin and something she had not seen in ages.

She had her wings back.

Her body no longer ached or hurt. She felt as light as air and dizzily she tested them out.

It was real. It was no longer a dream.

Author's Note:

I'm not back, but I'm trying to write. School is hard.....value those years when you only have an hour of homework to do....