• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 982 Views, 132 Comments

The End has Begun - Bronycommander



The third world war is raging across Earth. A Grenadier of the European Federation Enforcer Corps lands in Equestria. Can he convince the ponies, that he is friendly and not the enemy?

  • ...
9
 132
 982

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I woke up at 9AM in the morning. I was an early riser, but I always tried to sleep longer when I could.
I closed my eyes again. After some while, I heard a, “Good morning.”

As I opened my eyes, I saw that the medic from yesterday was at the door. I believed it was the same medic.

Letting out a yawn and stretching myself I asked, “What do you want?”

“Bringing you your breakfast.” He opened the door and floated a tray of food to me, then secured the cell.

Then he leaved. My breakfast was unusual for a prisoner. A bowl of oatmeal, an apple, two slices of toast, and a glass of orange juice. Even a muffin.

Blizzard saw my confusion. “My daughter and her friends made it for you.”

It was delicious. But the apple was… the best I ever had eaten.

After cleaning my mouth I asked, “Where did your daughter and her friends learn to cook so good?”

“The parents of her friends and my wife helped them. The apple is from Sweet Apple Acres.” Just as I suspected. Man, they really know how to make apples.

“They all want also to visit you. But first, you should get a shower and a shave.”

I hold out my arms. “Go on, cuff me.”

He waved a hoof. “I won’t. Just follow me.”

It was strange. So grateful that he didn’t cuff me? A little bit dangerous, but I didn’t think of fleeing anyway. I really reeked.


I can’t remember the last time I had a hot shower. But it was great and refreshing. While I’d been showering, my clothes were cleaned. I never made a wet shave before as I used a electric razor to shave dry. But first try for everything. I cut myself a few times. But I was clean-shaven afterwards. I liked it that way.

“Should I shave you too?” I asked Blizzard in a joking tone.

“No thanks, I have shaved myself already.”

While I followed him, I wondered if this was normal treatment for prisoners or if it was just a method to get me to talk. No, keep focused soldier. The first option is the only option. They’re neutral after all. Storm brought me to a room that looked like a room for visitors.

Chairs and tables. Storm said I should wait here, while he got the visitors. To be honest, it looked like a cafeteria rather than a normal visitor room in a prison.

I sat down on a chair and waited. For some reason, I drifted off to sleep.

It was like seconds sleep. “Daddy!” I heard Scootaloo from the other side as I woke up. I corrected myself and the door opened.

The CMC walked in; followed by Storm, a mare with an orange mane and tail and a torquiest coat, light blue eyes, and a heart with a blue ribbon tied around it as Cutie Mark I didn’t know, probably his wife, Apple Jack, Granny Smith, Big Mac, Rarity, Her and Sweetie Belle's parents, Rainbow Dash who looked at me suspicious, Derpy Hooves, Dr. Hooves also known as Time Turner, and Amethyst Star also known as Sparkler. I wondered if Time Turner was a time lord or not. I have to ask him later. Only now, I realized that the filly’s had no Cutie Marks.
Strange. They got them in Season 5 if I remember correctly. Was this a different universe? I had no time to think as Rainbow Dash looked at me.

“So this is the guy, huh?” Then she hoovered over to my face. “Are you a spy?” Then Applejack grabbed her by the tail, just like in the show.

“Calm down, Rainbow. This human saved the life of mah sister.” She took her hat off.

“Sorry about that. Name’s Applejack. And these are Granny Smith and Big Mac. We are very grateful for saving our youngest family member.”

“Oh please, that was nothing! I only did my duty.”

“Still, we wanted to thank you. Princess Celestia allowed us to make you breakfast.” Dinky smiled at me.

“And it was delicious.”

"Glad to hear it. Those are my mother Derpy, my father Time Turner and my sister Sparkler. They helped me to make the muffins for you.”

They blushed. “Oh, stop it muffin.” Derpy was embarrassed.

“I must say your uniform is very fetching. Anyway, I am Sweetie Belle’s sister Rarity and this are our parents Magnum and Betty Bouffant.”

“And this is my mother Misty Breeze and my awesome sister Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo exclaimed. Rainbow was scratching her back.

“Sorry. Sometimes, I don’t think about it before doing it.”

“None taken. Still, it’s a pleasure to meet you all.” Now I get it why Otto likes the CMC and Dinky so much. He loves his scooter like Scootaloo does, likes to sing like Sweetie Belle, loves also Muffins like Dinky and likes to help my wife in the garden like Apple Bloom helps on the farm. They all reminded me of him.

“Oh, before I forgot, my name is Peter Hartmann but you can call me Peter.”

“If you don’t mind Peter, we all would know more about the European Federation.” Dinky was curious.

I took my visor off. “Well, The European Federation, also known as the United States of Europe, or just simply Europe, is the world's most recent superpower being a mere two years old, founded in 2018 to consolidate political and economic power in the face of the world energy crisis and accelerating security and environmental concerns around the globe. Though publicized as an evolution of the European Union, demanding admission criteria restricted membership to the wealthiest nations in Europe. The European Federation has a population and GNP greater than the United States of America, and has a greater level of military technological advancement.

The European Federation Enforcer Corps is Europe's foremost military organization made up of veteran elite counter-terrorist and peacekeeping forces from throughout Europe. Calm and precise, these highly-trained and experienced soldiers are especially skilled in urban warfare; they are also noted as consummate professionals. They excel in electronic warfare as well as advanced directed energy weapons technology, and have the fastest battlefield vehicles. The Enforcer Corps also have access to the world's best ‘less than lethal’ weaponry. The Kommando Riflemen are noted for their former Rainbow 6, GSG-9 and GIGN members as well as members from other special and elite European forces. The Enforcer Corps is the elite military group within the European military carrying out high risk missions and aimed at the forefront of assaults and placed to defend critical locations.

The European Federation also has a land army and air force besides the Enforcer Corps. The European military is a combination of all the militaries of its member states. These various armed forces have been allocated and combined into a single armed service under the command of Troop Command Europa (TCE) along with a European air force under the control of Air Command Europa (ACE). Europe also has a navy. Regular armed forces that are fighting alongside the Enforcers are clothed in the blue-ish camouflage of Europe and are equipped with FAMAS assault rifles, and also operate Leopard 2 tanks, MOWAG Eagles and combat drones.”

“So, you are an Elite Soldier?”

"Yes, Rainbow. And a former member of GSG-9.”

“Awesome! What kind of units do you have?” She was excited. I putted my smartphone out and turned it on. It had a database of all units if the Enforcer Corps. Just some general overviews and tech overviews. Nothing that would help the enemy.

“This is a smartphone, right? We learned about humanity in school.” I confirmed Sweetie Belle's question with a nod before I showed them a picture of a Kommando.

“Kommandos are the riflemen of the Enforcers Corps. Being a Kommando in the Enforcer Corps is considered one of the highest honors a soldier can have in the European Military. The Enforcers Corps excel in urban and counterterrorism tactics and many of its founders and ranking officers are former Rainbow Six members.

The Enforcer Corps Kommandos includes members that come from many elite special operations groups. This variety is considered an advantage by European commanders. Kommando units are encouraged to stick with the tactics and doctrines of their original units rather than conform to one universal rule set. This means one group of Enforcers Corps Kommandos may behave and function in a manner that is radically different from another. European commanders feel that this will help keep their enemies off balance and allow for more specialized deployments. All Enforcer Corps battalions excel in urban and counterterrorist operations.

Members of the Enforcer Corps Kommandos pride themselves on their professionalism and hold themselves up to a very high standard. In a sense, they are the perfect modern-day embodiment of the medieval knight: chivalrous, brave, and steadfast in their beliefs. However, this should not be mistaken for softness as they are a highly disciplined and trained fighting force with extensive experience. Enforcers Crops Kommandos are capable of carrying out their orders with chilling efficiency and are not afraid to make sacrifices for the ‘greater good.’
Various conflicts in the late 20th and early 21st century showed how lacking the 5.56mm NATO round was. When the European Federation broke away from NATO, it was decided that the Enforcers Corps needed to adopt a new rifle cartridge. Ironically, the Europeans decided to go with a 7mm NATO round that is actually a modernized version of a .280 caliber round created in the late 1940s. Immediately after the decision was made to adopt this cartridge, manufacturers in Belgium (E3000 Carbine), France (FMS AG2 Assault Rifle), and Austria (UAR 7 Bullpup Support Weapon) began mass production of 7mm weapons earmarked for Enforcer Corps Kommandos use.

Tactics and strategies vary from one Enforcer Corps Kommando group to another. European commanders see this as an asset because enemies are always kept on their toes and individual groups are able to make a niche for their abilities, as well as make a name for themselves. The Enforcer Corps Kommandos are especially known for their superb skill in urban combat. Few soldiers can match their ability to storm buildings and secure uplinks. Much of this is due to the dissemination of CQC tactics from a large pool of elite urban combat and counterterrorist groups, such as GIGN and GSG9. The fact that the Enforcer Corps are in many ways a descendant of Rainbow six also furthers this strength.”

“And what about you? You said you’re a Grenadier.” I answered Scootaloo's question with a picture of a Grenadier.

“Grenadiers use the most sophisticated technology of any engineer infantry. Their name is a homage to the grenadiers of Imperial European armies, who originally used hand-thrown grenades before escalating to hand mortars, and so on. Grenadiers in the European Enforcer Corps are highly educated, extremely intelligent, and very well equipped. What sets the EFEC apart from the SGB and JSF is their deployment of non-lethal weaponry and use of ballistic shields. The mentality of the Enforcer Corps is to accomplish the mission, if they can avoid any unnecessary killing, so much the better. Because of the high requirements for EFEC Grenadiers, many members are a bit older than the average soldier serving in the European Federation's armed services. I am 35.

Instead of a light machinegun, one soldier in every unit of Enforcer Corps Grenadiers carries a long-range, wide-area, non-lethal Taser weapon which is attached to a ballistic shield. The Grenadiers also have access to a millimeter-wave Active Denial System. This device won't kill its targets, but works well as a suppression device. Plus, if the situation calls for it, any enemy forces disabled by the Taser or ADS can be taken out with lethal force by riflemen equipped with conventional firearms.

The comms system, body armor, and other high-tech components of EFEC Infantry gear is the result of blending French and German next-generation infantry technology. The predecessor to this gear was first issued in 2004 and the systems and weapons used have been continuously updated and improved since then. It is widely accepted that the body armor worn by Grenadiers in the Enforcer Corps is the best-designed body armor in the world as far as comfort and usability are concerned but provides slightly less protection than armor used by the SGB and JSF.

EFEC Engineers are also armed with the German-manufactured MP12 sub machinegun which is chambered in 4.6mm and designed to be effective against body armor. However, the small size of the 4.6mm round limits its ‘knock down’ power. For armored threats, EFEC Grenadiers can deploy the MILANA-2, an advanced anti-armor shoulder-launched missile. As you have seen, it was enough to take the Timber wolves out.”

I showed them a picture of a Panther 1A3.

“The Panther 1A3 is the Main Battle Tank for the European Federation Enforcers Corps. It combines the best features of mounted combat systems from all around Europe.

Once again, the European focus on high technology and speed is evident. The Panther excels in maneuverability and yet is still a very capable weapons platform. By combining its 120mm main gun with a newly-designed automatic loading system the Euros have made the Panther 1A3 one of the fastest-firing tanks in the world. It also uses a more robust version of the same hybrid engine that powers the AMZ-26 Badger.

The Panther is one of the fastest tanks in the world and affords the European Federation considerable advantages against less mobile forces. Panthers will be able to transverse to the areas where they are most needed with reliable speed making the Panther an ideal quick response force for European forces. The Panther can upgrade its main gun to fire high powered microwave shells which can have a devastating effect on opponents, particularly their shields. The THEL is also a deadly close quarter’s defense weapon which will help the Panther shred combat drones and enemy infantry. The 1A3 Panther also has numerous upgrades improving its shielding a very useful trait if they are used for hit and run attacks.

The list of manufacturers for the Panther 1A3 Mounted Combat System reads like a "who's who" of the biggest European auto, tech, and weapons companies. Its main cannon is of German design, its targeting system is French, its power plant is from Austria, its gearbox is from Italy. The European Federation proudly boasts this fact, but keeps quiet about the Panther's chassis which is actually Israeli. In fact, much of the Panther's internal design and layout is 'borrowed' from the Israelis. Much of that technology, e.g. the Merkava tank were originally designed by the Israeli. By using the same hybrid engine technology that powers the AMZ-26 Badger, the Panther 1A3 is able to go much longer between refueling, especially when compared to the M5A2 and T-100 making the logistical problems of supplying Panther units less troublesome or expensive, considering the historical fuel problems of tanks during World War 3 this could be a vital advantage.

However, in order to make the engine powerful enough to move all of the Panther's bulk, some concessions had to be made as far as noise and efficiency are concerned. The Panther is also equipped with a 7.62mm chain gun which can be replaced with a high-power microwave emitter. The high-power microwave transmitter is considered a "cruel" weapon by critics, and a move has been made to have them banned by the Geneva Convention. As a result, the Panther is one of the most feared main battle tanks in the world.”

“Impressive. And what is a Badger?” Time Turner asked.

“Our transports. Compared to Russian and American offerings, the AMZ-26 is an incredibly fuel-efficient vehicle. Its fossil fuel and electric hybrid engine ‘sips’ gasoline rather than guzzles it and is extremely quiet for a military vehicle. What's remarkable is that the Badger can outrun other IFVs while still maintaining its high level of fuel efficiency.

European Federation soldiers often joke that if the AMZ-26 was provided to the British, the unit’s operating it would run out of tea before running out of gasoline. The manufacturers of the Badger's hybrid engine point to it as the very pinnacle of hybrid power plant technology, providing both speed and power while maintaining an astonishing level of fuel efficiency. The Badger is also considerably lighter than other IFVs, which means it can quickly speed towards Uplink points.

The Badger has a Spanish-made 30mm dual-feed chain gun with a firing rate of 700 rounds per minute. It is also a modular design so both its armor and weaponry can be quickly replaced with newer, more advanced upgrades. One popular upgrade is the replacement of the 30mm chain gun with a special multipurpose TOW missile system that is capable of engaging both ground and air targets (albeit at close range only for the latter).

Another unique feature brought about by high tech European engineering is the Badger's High-Powered Microwave emitter. This system has both lethal and non-lethal settings. The non-lethal setting can quickly disperse groups of infantry by inflicting an intense sensation of being burned alive while not actually causing any physical damage. The lethal setting is much more fearsome and some commanders prefer not to use it as the end results are described as ‘horrific’. I never saw the lethal setting and I am glad of it.” The foals shivered a little bit.

“Even the non-lethal setting is cruel.” Dinky didn’t want to imagine.

“I know. The AMZ-50 Marksman is a mobile artillery piece in use by the European Federation's Enforcer Corps.

The AMZ-50 Marksman is a second-generation wheeled howitzer truck. The concept has been used before by Swiss, French, and South African militaries and is now fully embraced by the European Enforcer Corps. The Marksman can be deployed rapidly and fits in perfectly with the EFEC's focus on speed over armor. It also has a fully electric engine thanks to its lightweight, when compared to other self-propelled howitzers, chassis.

Mobile artillery support is no good if all the fighting is done by the time it's put into position. The European Enforcer Corps uses the AMZ-50 Marksman self-propelled 6x6 howitzer because when it comes to speed, it is unmatched. No other artillery unit can be moved into position as quickly as the Marksman. The biggest trade-off for this speed is markedly lighter armor. The Marksman uses a 155mm self-loading howitzer. Its fire control system is developed by a German company and is run by a sophisticated AI program. This system can calculate the location of an enemy unit faster than any other targeting computer in the world.

The AMZ-50 can be upgraded to carry dual Grid Smasher rocket pods which add greatly to its hitting power and versatility. Because wheeled vehicles are lighter than tracked ones, it was no problem for the EFEC to equip the Marksman with an electric engine. Not only that, but a series of generators are linked to the recoil action of the main gun. This means that firing the 155mm howitzer on the AMZ-50 actually helps to charge its batteries. The Marksman is the only artillery piece in the world which has this system in place.”

“You’re, really understand your work.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Breeze. The PAH-6 Cheetah is an attack helicopter in use by the European Federation Enforcer Corps.

The PAH-6 is a technological wonder due to its dual hydrogen-powered turboshaft engines. It is the 2nd generation version of a line of combat helicopters that were first deployed in 2003. Since then this series of attack choppers has demonstrated high lethality and survivability. The Cheetah is lighter, more energy-efficient, and more maneuverable than previous generations by a wide margin.
Europe has been on the forefront of alternative energy sources ever since 2009. As a result, units like the PAH-6 Cheetah are powered by some of the most technologically-advanced ‘green’ engines in the entire world. What's amazing is that these ‘green’ engines are just as effective as their fossil fuel-powered counterparts from a generation ago. However, manufacturing these engines is complex and time-consuming.

One unique feature of the Cheetah is its shrouded tail rotor. Not only does this reduce its acoustic signature, but it also protects the tail rotor from damage. The Cheetah is capable of a number of high agility maneuvers and can even perform a loop while equipped with a full combat load out.

The Cheetah is armed with the HOT-3, an optically tracked, laser guided missile using a tandem warhead. This reflects the EFEC’s peace-keeping roots as EFEC decided to equip the PAH-6 with optically-guided missiles to minimize collateral damage. Also keeping with EFEC doctrine is the Cheetah’s emphasis on speed.”

“Able of performing a loop while equipped with a full combat load out? I wish I could that!” Rainbow exclaimed.

I chuckled. “The LV-20 Charlemagne is a command vehicle in use by the European Federation's Enforcer Corps.
The LV-20 can detect traps and stealth units, increase battlefield awareness, and can deploy UAVs and sentry drones. The most unique feature of the LV-20 is its armament. The Charlemagne is equipped with a Tactical High Energy Laser (THEL) rather than conventional armament and its drones are equipped with advanced directed energy weapon systems. Many consider the LV-20 to be the most advanced wheeled vehicle ever created. The LV-20 is considered the most advanced command vehicle on earth.

The LV-20 Charlemagne allows European Enforcer Corps commanders to acquire and disseminate large amounts of battlefield data quickly and effectively. Its vast array of sensory equipment covers nearly every visible and invisible spectrum from infra-red to ultraviolet and also includes a compliment of advanced audio sensors. This means that very few, if any; modern stealth units are able to go by undetected when an LV-20 is around.

Instead of conventional armaments, the LV-20 is equipped with a Tactical High Energy Laser (THEL). Its power plant is the same electric engine that the AMZ-50 uses. It also has a high-capacity energy generator to power its THEL. Details on this generator are classified. All LV-20s have emergency gas-powered generators attached to the THEL for use when the primary power generator is disabled.

The Charlemagne can deploy EFEC Archer sentry drones which are equipped with the same Active Denial System and Taser systems used by EFEC Grenadiers. Its deployable UAV is an EFEC Eaglefly which has advanced optical systems for threat detection and is equipped with guided air to ground missiles. Proper use of the LV-20 can be a valuable asset when trying to achieve full spectrum dominance over enemy forces.”

“What are an Eaglefly and an Archer drone?” Sparkler asked confused.

I showed them the Archer drone. “The Archer Combat Drone is an autonomous ground unit in use by the European Federation.

The Archer is the most advanced sentry drone in the world. It is equipped with state-of-the-art sensors and a single minigun, though Archers are often upgraded to carry a THEL (Thermal High-Energy Laser) instead. This is not always a good thing. The THEL has greater firepower than the minigun, but only half the range. This makes THEL upgraded Archers much less effective against gunships - they have to be directly underneath them to fire. THEL Archers are often destroyed by their targets (gunships as well as others) while they are closing the distance to fire their lasers. Minigun equipped drones can begin delivering damage much sooner. In practical usage, the THEL is only an advantage against infantry running in the open, where the drones can win the damage race.

The drone is battery powered, and while the actual battery life is a strictly-guarded secret, it has been rumored that they can operate for days on a single charge. Archers will often be deployed as escorts for Charlemagne Command Vehicles or as sentries. It’s reminds me of a mini version of the Badger.

The Eaglefly is a UAV in use by the European Federation's Enforcer Corps. It is typically deployed from an LV-20 Charlemagne.
This armed, VTOL-capable UAV is ideal for both reconnaissance and attack missions. Its small size and light, aerodynamic design makes it the most agile and quiet UAV in use by any armed force in 2020, giving the enforcers corps unparrelled unmanned Intel.
For Air support we have the Eurofighter Hailstorm. Incorporating the best elements of Swedish, French, and German jetfighters first deployed in the early 21st Century, the Hailstorm is one of the most agile fighters ever developed. Hailstorms used to support EFEC missions have been specially modified for improved ground attack capabilities.

For transport, we have the EC 220 Gadfly and the EC 660 Whirlwind.

The EC 220 Gadfly is an infantry transport helicopter in use by the European Federation's Enforcer Corps.
Built by the same company that makes the PAH-6 Cheetah, the whimsically-named Gadfly is a reliable light transport helicopter that can endure harsh weather conditions and is surprisingly nimble for its size. Its unique engine can run either hydrogen or fossil fuels.
The EC-220 Gadfly is a modernized version of the NH-90.The NH-90 was produced by NHIndustries which was a helicopter manufacturing company established by Eurocopter. This transport helicopter was developed by several countries from Europe; such as France, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and Finland (members of the EFEC). The NH-90 was then ordered and delivered to several countries around the world.

After the dismemberment of NATO, the NH-90 became the main transport helicopter of European Federation countries. The choice was obvious and several EF manufacturers made adjustments and improvements to the existing aircraft, to further its performance.

Though it is not as versatile as the V-25 (due to the lack of a modern Tiltrotor), its engine makes it a faster and more reliable platform for transporting troops across the battlefields. The Gadfly has an FCR (fire control radar) that incorporates an RFI (radar frequency interferometer), like several attack helos. This allows for a passive location and identification of radar-emitting threats. Technology that other factions' air transports do not use.

The EC 660 Whirlwind is the European Federation's main heavy lift helicopter.

Whether lifting off from a remote airstrip or dropping off supplies and equipment on the battlefield, the immense EC 660 can be relied upon to generate the artificial windstorm that is its namesake. Despite its vast size, the Whirlwind has considerable range.

Little else is known about the design. It is possible the US government would have attempted to sue the European Federation for potentially stealing technology from them. This due to the high likeness with other famous US helicopter designs such as the CH-47 Chinook and CH-46 Sea Knight.

I am German and part of Battlegroup 20. A highly versatile battlegroup of airmobile units specialized in combat against high value targets. Our Motto is ‘United in Battle.’
Before that, I was in Battlegroup 4. This specialized attack and counterstrike force became operational in 2014. The core of the unit is made up of Spanish, German, and Italian units. Their Motto is ‘Who dares, wins.’ The same Motto is used by the British SAS. The commander of Battlegroup 4 is Colonel Antonio Maldini, a former member of team RAINBOW giving him unparalleled insight into anti-terrorist actions that members of team RAINBOW possess.
He is one of Europe’s foremost commanders.”

”Is this a scar on your right eye?”

“Yes, Lieutenant. I got it from an accident but it does not affect my vision in any way.”

Before anypony could answer, Shining Armor walked in with Princess Celestia.

“Leave us alone, Lieutenant.”

“Yes, sir.” They all leaved.

Celestia sat down on a chair on the other side of the table, Shining Armor did the same. Celestia was cheerful which surprised me.
“How can I help you, your Highness?”

“I just want to ask you how you are.”

“Fine.”

“I see that Lieutenant Storm's daughter seems to like you.”

“Indeed. I even told her about my job in the Enforcer Corps.”

“We heard everything. I must admit very impressive. We also want to know how this war started,” Shining Armor explained.

“It all started 2016. A nuclear attack occurred in Saudi Arabia, killing six million people and crippling the supply of oil from the Middle East, plunging the world into an unprecedented energy crisis. The following year, the United States and the European Union signed the historic SLAMS (Space-Land-Air Missile Shield) Treaty, agreeing to co-develop technologies for a comprehensive, interlocking anti-ballistic missile system. The U.S. and EU test-launched nuclear salvos against each other, which the SLAMS weapons completely destroyed. Emboldened by the success of the tests, the U.S. and the EU pronounced ‘the end of strategic nuclear war,’ and the world celebrated a new age of peace.

With the price of crude oil at USD 800 a barrel, the EU member states were forced to consolidate political, economic, and military power to form a united European superstate, the European Federation (EF), which has a greater population and Gross domestic product GDP than America. The United Kingdom and Ireland decided not to join the new state, however, and instead form their own union known as the ‘New Commonwealth’, which remained neutral like you but allowed European forces to man the missile defense uplink sites on its territory. Nations too weak to join the EF, notably those in the Balkans and Eastern Europe, collapsed completely and were subsequently taken over by Russia, who refer to it as ‘their land.’ The U.S. and the EF regarded each other's power as a threat to their own, and the now fractured former allies embark on a costly space arms race with each other.

Russia, being the world's new number one supplier of natural gas and crude oil, enjoyed a massive economic boom as a result of the worldwide energy crisis. Russia's newfound wealth is spent on modernizing its military, creating its own missile defense system, and utilizing its new-found power to influence world events.

The militarization of space reached its peak in 2020, when the U.S. reveals planned to launch the Freedom Star space station in an effort to regain its position as the premier world superpower. While partly designed for civilian research purposes, the station would also house three companies of U.S. Marines, who can deploy anywhere on Earth within 90 minutes. International reaction was extremely negative, to say the least. The EF and Russia in particular despise the development, seeing it as a way in which the United States could neutralize their portion of anti-ballistic defenses and upset the balance of power. The EF withdrew from the already divided NATO in protest, causing the organization to collapse. Former NATO bases and facilities in Europe, such as Ramstein Air Base, were subsequently taken over by the EF.
I am glad that nuclear warfare has come to an end, otherwise earth and Equestria would be an atomic wasteland by now.”

“Interesting. We know about humans but after 2016, we couldn’t saw what was happening afterwards. Now, how did the war begun?” Celestia asked.

I cleared my throat. “On March 23, 2020, European Federation (EF) uplink sites in the ‘lawless zone,’ where Croatia used to be, were attacked by an as-yet unidentified group of terrorists, who were using T-80 tanks, from a beached cargo ship. They were repulsed by EF Enforcers Corps (EFEC) forces. During the battle, the EF attempted to gain access to the cargo ship that the terrorists use but the ship was destroyed before they could gain access. Details of the attack were kept secret.

On April 4, 2020, when the final module of the Freedom Star was set to launch from Kennedy Space Center amid international outcry, the same group of terrorists attacked the module and attempted to destroy it, using the same methods as the Croatian attack. Once again they were repulsed, this time by the United States Joint Strike Force (JSF) as reports of yet another terrorist attack came in, this time of an assault on the Roseburg petrol plant in the Netherlands. After being defeated by EFEC forces, the terrorists identified themselves as the ‘Forgotten Army’ composed of people from a collection of failed states in the Balkans, Africa and South America. Following a final terrorist attack, this time on a Russian power plant near Minsk, the US found ‘conclusive evidence’ that the European Federation's defense minister, François Pulain, funded the Forgotten Army with modern military equipment. We found out that the Russians were behind it.

However the US took the bait and attempted to kidnap him while he inspected the Copenhagen uplink network. An anonymous call informed us about this and we managed to stop them.

On April 7, 2020, the US crashed Copenhagen's uplinks and send in JSF units to rescue the trapped team. The US successfully repelled the EFEC's first attack, but European forces were able to counter-attack and reboot Copenhagen's uplinks in their favor, forcing JSF forces to surrender and allowed US safe passage back.

But as we thought we had prevented a 3rd World War, the Russians disguised as Forgotten Army soldiers uploaded a virus into the European SLAMS network at Rovaniemi air base in Finland. The virus caused an EF orbital laser satellite to shoot down the new Freedom Star module during lift off, thinking it to be an ICBM. They made it look like we Europeans had it shot down.

This started the war between the Federation and the USA. Russia attempted to attack Poland. This was a mistake as the USA saw this as an attempt to reform the Eastern Bloc and also attacked Russia.
Despite this, the European Federation is about to win the war.” I explained.

Shining Armor was stunned. “So, they blame you for this?”

"Correct.”

“May I ask what the Forgotten Army is? And what your mission was?"

“As I said before, Princess Celestia, The Forgotten Army comprised of people from a collection of ‘failed’ states in the Balkans, Africa and South America. A terrorist group which is very well equipped but lacks training how to put it to good use. One of their commanders tried to attack Europe on his own, and you heard what had he accomplished. My mission was to guard the Uplinks from hostiles, in that case the Forgotten Army.”

“Yes. You know, Equestria is a civilized country. While we never had contact with humanity, we adhere to the ‘Geneva Convention’ as you call it.”

“Thank you. I just hope that my comrades don’t see me as traitor.”

“Don’t worry about that. I can help you out. You have nothing to fear.
I see you are a kind person. You’re no threat to Equestria. If you like, you could be a citizen of our Country until the war is over."

“Very generous from you, but I need to return to my unit.”

“I understand your concern but for now, you should think of something else. Isn’t it nice to get a break from it?”

“Yes.” I realized that it wouldn’t be as bad as I thought.

“Good. Captain, get him his lunch and bring him back into his cell.”

“Yes your Highness.” Lunch? I checked my watch. It was already 2PM. Wow; time went fast if you have something to talk about.

Author's Note:

Time can go fast. Time for Lunch. Looks like Princess Celestia is convinced that he's not a threat.

As a side note, given the political situation we have, we're dangerous near that what happened In Endwar could become reality, don't you think?