• Published 19th Oct 2016
  • 514 Views, 13 Comments

Scrawled on the Back of a Sea Chart - MrAskAPirate



A bit o' this and a bit o' that; pieces of stories that never were or didn't belong.

  • ...
3
 13
 514

Siren Short #2: Sireny-Wireny

Author's Note:

Tags for this chapter: Adagio Dazzle, Aria Blaze, Sonata Dusk, Crossover (kinda?), Comedy

... aaaaaand they're back! Siren Short #2 is a lot like the first; it takes place in the same continuity as Friend I Couldn't Be, but you don't need to have read that story or its sequel in order to enjoy it.


~London, circa 1602 AD~


"I'm telling you, it's this way."

"No, you've got it completely backwards; that leads back across the Thames."

"Ugh, only if you follow it all the way! We just need to go a couple of streets, then turn right, and we're there!"

Adagio rolled her eyes, a fact lost on her sisters since she was, as always, walking in the lead as the trio threaded through the bustling early-evening streets of Southwark.

"Turning right would take us back to London Bridge, Aria." She stepped around a carriage, being careful not to snag her billowing, orange-ruffled gown on it as it passed by. "We just need to find Maiden Lane, and we'll be set."

"We could see the stupid theatre from the bridge," Aria grumbled, pulling at the unflattering neckline of her emerald dress. "If we went back at least we could get a better idea of where we're going."

"I know where we're going," Adagio shot back, turning to look at her sister, "and before you call it 'stupid' again, remember that I was the one who received a personal invitation from the playwright; you're lucky I let the two of you tag..." She trailed off, eyes searching the busy street. "Where the hell is Sonata?"

Aria joined Adagio in surveying the area before offering a shrug. "Must've gotten lost... I mean, more lost then we already were."

"Come on, we've got to find her."

"Ugh, do we have to?" Aria frowned. "I was just starting to enjoy the peace and quiet."

Adagio ignored her, and despite her protests Aria still fell into step behind her older sister as they retraced their path. After about a hundred paces, they spotted the distinctive lavender folds of their youngest sister's gown. She was standing in front of a side street and peering down it intently as the others approached.

"Sonata!" Adagio scolded, snapping the girl in question from whatever dazed reverie she had been lost in this time. "What the hell are you doing?"

Sonata's eyes widened a little.

"It's that box again."

Adagio shook her head. "What are you talking about?"

Sonata pointed down the side street. "That big blue box we keep seeing everywhere."

Exchanging uncertain glances, Adagio and Aria moved to join Sonata. Sure enough, about thirty paces along the street stood a large, blue, rectangular box with paneled sides and a strange little lantern on top. Adagio regarded it for a moment before shaking her head.

"So? It's a box; what about it?"

This time it was Sonata's turn to roll her eyes. "Ugh, you guys! Don't you remember?" she whined. "We saw it in Prance that one time, and before that when we were in that Consonantopolis place?"

Aria scrunched up her face in confusion. "Where?"

"She means Constantinople," Adagio translated. "Sonata, what have a I told you about wandering off? Do you remember what happened the last time?"

Sonata pouted and fidgeted in place. "The Ottoman guys weren't that bad..."

Adagio blanched. "They tried to sell you into slavery, idiot! You probably would've ended up in some rich sultan's harem!"

"Well, yeah, but think of all the pretty clothes I would've gotten to wear!" Sonata grinned.

The eldest Siren stared at her blankly, while Aria scoffed and crossed her arms.

"Sonata... you're the worst."

"You are!" came the nearly automatic reply.

"We don't have time for this!" Adagio shouted as she turned. "Come on, we need to find the theatre before sunset. I'm not about to miss half of the first act on account of you two imbeciles!"

"B-but-!" Sonata stammered, pointing back down the alley to the blue box.

"No buts!" Adagio called out. Aria gave her a disapproving glare before she too walked away.

Sonata frowned, taking one last glance at the box that seemed to follow them everywhere before hanging her head and trudging after her sisters.

"One of these days..."