• Published 12th Oct 2016
  • 2,138 Views, 42 Comments

Behind a Shifting Mask - Oddling



Silver Skies was known for many things, mainly being one of the best diplomats for Princess Celestia. Little did anypony know, that there was a little bit more behind the mask he wears...

  • ...
5
 42
 2,138

3 - Return to the Hive

The late morning sun felt nice, especially with the light breeze. It was one of the few times that Silver Skies found himself enjoying a walk outside of the castle; even if he was currently walking beside the steep drop of Ghastly Gorge. He idly skirted the edge, seemingly not the slightest bit concerned about possibly losing his balance. Of course, should he slip, all it would take was but a thought and he could simply teleport back up. As the grey stallion progressed down the path, Silver allowed his thoughts to drift to his upcoming encounter.

Hmm… I wonder if these past few days have been enough for Queen Chrysalis to think about her true reasons for peace, he thought smoothly. I’m sure she was aware of the delicate nature of our previous meeting, yet she felt it necessary to be evasive. If she does not provide a more valid reason this time, it may put too much strain on my efforts to assist her in obtaining peace – especially if Iron Barricade has a sizable following. That bullheaded buffoon would easily become a problem should he stir the pot.

Silver let out a quiet sigh as he progressed down the slope. Just ahead was the clearing on one of the small ledges where the entrance to an old Quarray Eel tunnel rested. Quite the ideal location to establish her hive, he thought appraisingly. Indeed it was the ideal spot for Chrysalis’ hive. No sane pony would get near the den of one of the massive creatures, and it was hidden from view behind a thin veil of saplings. It was truly a clever tactic in remaining close to the town of Ponyville, yet far enough away to avoid detection.

She is close enough to one of the most love filled towns in Equestria, which still keeps her within striking distance of the capital, and nopony has been even the slightest bit suspicious of Changeling activity. The Queen is quite the intelligent tactician… which makes her attitude toward me all the more intriguing. Just what goes through her head… what’s that?

Silver Skies came to a halt just within the clearing. His eyes fell upon the form of a familiar looking Changeling Queen. As soon as he made eye contact with her, Chrysalis offered a small grin and started to slowly approach. Silver watched her for a few moments, before a grin of his own crossed over his features. He waited patiently until she got within ten ponylengths from him before his horn lit up and a blue aura surrounded Chrysalis.

Her face instantly turned angry and she hissed at him. “What is the meaning of this!?” she demanded angrily.

Silver Skies eyed her for a long moment, smirking at the hostile display. “I don’t think your queen would approve of your attempt at impersonating her,” he eventually replied, his tone low and expression shifting to an unreadable neutrality.

The imposter allowed her angry expression to melt into a malicious grin. “Quite the clever little pony, aren’t you. How could you tell?” she asked.

Silver quietly stared for a few moments. His roaming eyes were slightly unsettling to the disguised Changeling, but she refused to let it show. Eventually, after he was satisfied, Silver simply shrugged. “There were a few things to give you away, but there’s little point in revealing my methods of detecting you as a fake. The fact of the matter is that you are now stuck in my custody. I hope you have a good reason for your actions,” he replied coolly.

The Changeling simply rolled her eyes and fixed Silver with an unimpressed stare. “Oh dear, what ever will I do…” she said dryly. Her body then became engulfed in magic green flames and the slim form of the female Changeling rushed forward to strike at Silver Skies.

Silver’s eyes widened due to his surprise. Well now, she managed to slip free from my telekinesis… it seems that the magics involved with Changeling transformation have a counter effect on outside spells. Remarkable… I wonder if she can show me a few more tricks…

He lit his horn once more, catching her in a similar manner. The female Changeling had managed to get within three ponylengths before his magic grasped her again, though this time he made sure to lift her up above his head. The female simply eyed him as if he were mentally challenged and used her magic to transform. She slipped through Silver’s magic and charged him as a light blue Pegasus mare with a light pink mane and a snow cloud for a cutie mark.

Silver Skies watched her close in, a sly grin playing on his lips, as she reached back to punch him. Just as he predicted, she used her magic once more, to ensure he did not stop her again, but her error was quickly realized when a transparent wall flung itself around him. The barrier that Silver erected absorbed the Changeling’s punch and she cursed under her breath as her wings buzzed to pull her away from him.

“Impressive…” Silver remarked. “You’re quick to adapt in combat, and your transformative magic has a canceling effect on telekinesis. You’ve peaked my curiosity. How will you continue to combat me now that I’ve created this barrier?”

The Changeling simply smirked and allowed her annoyed expression to slip into a cool stare. “The answer to that is quite simple. As with any unicorn barrier, the deciding factor comes down to how much it can absorb before it fails. The question now is… how long do you think you can last, Mr. Diplomat?” she replied smugly.

The area suddenly came alive in the flashes of many green fire spells as numerous Changelings transformed, the small trees and medium sized rocks changing before Silver’s very eyes. The grey unicorn simply shifted his gaze around casually, eyeing his opponents with a small smile. He shrugged his shoulders and tilted his head slightly at the lead Changeling. “Not as impressive as your previous display, and it was too predictable. I do have but one question to ask you, though. What brought on this little attack of yours?” Silver asked coolly.

The female Changeling let out a low growl, her fangs bared and fins vibrating testily. She narrowed her pale blue eyes and lowered her stance slightly, readying herself for combat before she answered. “The hive has no use for you, or the peace which you try to bring. Ponies are nothing more than a food source for our kind… and it’s disgraceful to think that our queen would even consider your kind worthy of anything more than a means for us to feed. We will not allow you to sully our legacy with hollow promises!” she hissed menacingly.

Silver Skies nodded after a moment and fixed the Changeling with a bored stare. “I see… that truly is a shame that you see things that way. Unfortunately… it is impossible for everypony to be happy with change. However, I can assure you that your views of peace will not reflect the reality of my efforts. One more question, if you don’t mind.”

The Changeling launched forth, slamming her front hooves against Silver’s shield. “What?” she asked coldly.

“Does Queen Chrysalis share your sentiments on this matter?” he asked her calmly, eyeing the tiny fracture she had made in the side of his barrier.

The Changeling only stared at him with burning anger within her pupil-less eyes. Silver nodded his head in understanding before bringing his hoof up to his chest. “Very well… that is a small relief to me. I shall be sure to pass on your views to her,” he said in a subdued tone just before he lit up his horn.

The female Changeling’s eyes shot wide and she instantly renewed her attack, slamming her hooves into the side of Silver’s barrier – with another two Changelings joining her. The magical shield only held for a few short seconds under the assault, but it was more than enough time for Silver’s second spell to form and activate. His body vanished a mere moment before his barrier shattered, and the last thing the female Changeling saw of his visage was the sad smile on his face before he teleported.

In the next moment, deep within the confines of the hive, a flash of royal blue signaled the arrival of the Equestrian Diplomat. The forms of many Changelings leaping toward him greeted his eyes, fangs bared and hissing angrily. Silver quickly set up another barrier and put his hooves up in the air as he sat on his rump. “One moment please,” he said to the quickly approaching guards.

The royal Changeling defenders quickly skid to a halt, still growling and hissing, but allowed the unicorn the chance to explain himself. Silver nodded appreciatively to them and took a breath of air before he addressed them. “I do apologize for this sudden arrival,” he said calmly. “However, I am in dire need of meeting with your Queen as soon as possible. A matter of urgency was just brought to my attention outside of your hive, one that requires I meet with her in a timely fashion. Especially since the event outside involved one of your hive members disguising herself as Queen Chrysalis.”

Immediately after hearing his reasons, one of the female guards leapt forth to stand right in front of Silver Skies. “Is that true? Did you see one of us in the form of the queen?” she hissed angrily.

Silver nodded. “Yes. She approached me with the intent of catching me off guard, possibly to harm me in a sneak attack, but she was not alone in her actions.”

The Changeling guard quickly ducked her head to the side, clicking sounds rapidly escaping her throat. Her display of anger was cut short however, as the double doors to Chrysalis’ chamber swung open with a deep bang. “What was that!? Did I hear your words correctly?” Queen Chrysalis demanded, her acid green eyes glowing with barely restrained fury.

Silver Skies turned his attention to Chrysalis and he offered her a respectful bow. “Yes, your highness. A female Changeling attempted to strike me down while wearing your appearance.”

Chrysalis stared at Silver for a moment before she turned her head toward one of the guards. “Find that imposter – now!” she bellowed and turned her gaze back to Silver. “You, Silver Skies, come inside. I wish to hear everything you have to say about that Changeling imposter!”

Silver nodded and let his barrier drop. “Of course, Queen Chrysalis,” he replied.

Chrysalis’ eyes flared brightly once more, but she held her composure roughly the same. To say that the Changeling Queen was upset would be akin to saying an inferno was warm. She passed a meaningful glare over each of her subjects before she turned around and walked into her chambers. Silver allowed her a moment before he followed her in.

Just like before, the doors swung shut with that low thud as soon as he cleared the threshold. The difference this time was that Queen Chrysalis also applied three layers of soundproofing spells to the room once the doors closed. Chrysalis slowly made her way up the last few steps to her throne and turned her head back with an unsettling crunch. Her horn lit up with a sickly green and the rest of the room became bathed in bright green and blue light from the many torches and a few large aquamarine gems.

“Now then…” Chrysalis said in a low menacing tone, “tell me what happened to you.”

Silver Skies bowed his head. “Of course, your highness,” he said and began his telling of the events outside of the hive. He had to pause a few times as he revealed the tale, due to Chrysalis hissing or growling in anger. She was especially upset when she heard the reason behind the hostile move on the diplomat. Only silence remained in the room once Silver had finished his explanation.

So it would appear that she truly knew nothing about the other Changeling’s movements until now, Silver thought as he eyed the queen. Her heart is easy to read when she’s angered. I wonder if I can use this to coax her into giving me an honest answer now…

“Queen Chrysalis… I know this event has upset you, but I would like to take this opportunity to ask you again. What is your reason for wanting peace with Equestria?”

Chrysalis’ eyes flashed again as she nearly let out a snarl. She cooled her anger swiftly and stared down her muzzle at Silver Skies. Complete silence filled the room for a time as she chose her words. “Before I answer that, I have a question of my own,” she said. “How much do you know about what I’ve done to overthrow your precious kingdom?”

Silver Skies tilted his head slightly, maintaining his neutral expression. “I know that you nearly took over Canterlot some time back. You had taken the form of the young Princess Cadence, enchanted her husband-to-be, and succeeded in laying siege to the capital. However, the Elements of Harmony and the real Princess Cadence thwarted your attempt. That is the extent of the official knowledge I know about your history with Equestria. I have only heard rumors about other Changeling related topics,” he replied.

Chrysalis sighed heavily and turned her head to the side, pretending to examine the side of one of the obsidian pillars within the room. “Typical… they just let everything slide or be forgotten,” she grumbled before turning back to Silver Skies. “Let me enlighten you then. After my failed attempt to invade and conquer Canterlot I took what was left of my hive and rebuilt in a place far to the south. My minions and I took over a small civilization of cat creatures, feeding off of their love, and rebuilt my army. I then proceeded to kidnap ponies close to one Twilight Sparkle…”

Chrysalis paused, sighing again as she recalled what happened next. “My plan failed in the end. I had wanted to corner the young mare and use the power of a comet to steal her magic. I lost and she placed me in one of the most insufferable prisons I’ve ever seen. Fortunately, her magic wore off after a few months. I was free again to get my revenge.”

The Changeling queen chuckled ruefully for a moment, her expression turning sour shortly after. “I rebuilt once more, establishing my forces back in our home Hive. I thought I could finally beat them at their own game – rid them of their magic and subject them to a very long imprisonment… but it was not meant to be,” she finished and eyed Silver. “Are you sure you never heard more than just the attack?” she asked him.

Silver Skies shook his head. “This is the first time I’ve heard of such a thing. I take it your third attempt did not fare so well?”

“No… it did not,” Chrysalis replied, her tone hinting toward the restlessness she still felt toward that last encounter. “Everything went according to plan. I captured all four princesses, the young prince Shining Armor, all of the bearers of the Elements of Harmony… but a rag-tag group of misfits foiled my plan. Twilight Sparkle’s own student, Starlight Glimmer, found a way to turn everything I had done against me. That was the day I realized I had truly lost…” she sighed heavily and let her head drop to rest on the arm of her throne.

“You wished to know why, Silver Skies… why I desired peace with your precious country, correct?”

Silver Skies nodded. “Yes, and even though I am glad you told me of your encounters with the young Princess of Friendship, I feel I must tell you this – before you give me your answer,” he took a breath and fixed Chrysalis with a stern look. “Back in Canterlot, there resides a group of ponies who are not willing to give Changelings a chance. The reason why I need to know your motives is simple. With ponies who severely distrust your kind, it will be virtually impossible to sway their hearts with simple jests and thinly veiled lies. Honesty is your only option… or peace will never be possible.”

Silver’s low tone echoed throughout the chamber, giving his words a sense of finality. For the first time, Chrysalis understood the strange pony diplomat. It made sense, after all, that her actions had impacted the ponies of Equestria in many ways – most of them laced with fear and uncertainty. What she had not truly accounted for was feelings or resentment. The opponents she had faced off against had always found some way to show the Changeling Queen a degree of pity or sympathy, so she started to assume all ponies would be forgiving. Silver’s words were a sobering reminder of the truth.

Queen Chrysalis took in a deep breath and slowly let it out as she absorbed the meaning behind Silver’s statement. Then she flashed him a firm glare of resolve and stood from her throne. “Very well, Silver Skies, I will tell you why I desire peace… I just hope you see the truth of my words for what they are truly worth,” she said and bowed her head. “My children are going to die out. The Changeling race will soon become extinct… and you ponies are the only hope I have left to stop it.”

Silver Skies took in her words and mulled them over critically. He trusted Chrysalis, for the moment, and believed she had spoken the truth, but he had many new questions that needed answers. He walked up to stand in front of her, his expression firm yet soft and he offered his hoof to the queen. “That is a grave statement… and I believe you and I need to discuss this in more depth. Will you entrust such knowledge to me… Queen Chrysalis?”

Chrysalis eyed Silver cautiously. His emotions were strong, almost frighteningly so, but he was adamant about wanting to know more. Something in that red eye burned passionately, so much so that it almost seemed to captivate the Changeling Queen for a long moment. Then, much to her curiosity, the passionate gaze melted away into a neutral bland expression. She noted that in the same moment, Silver Skies lowered his offered hoof. He cleared his throat and apologized for being so forward, but that was all moot for Chrysalis. This stallion intrigued her in a whole new way.

Silver Skies asked her a question and Chrysalis shook her head to realign her thoughts. “My apologies… what did you just say?” she asked him.

Silver smirked slightly. “I said I hope I did not offend you. It was forward of me to approach you so, but it just felt right to do at the time. Hearing that your race is in danger does not sit right with me, and I was compelled to act in a way to show my desire to help.”

Chrysalis shook her head as she returned his smirk. “No offense was taken. I was just surprised… nopony has ever shown me that kind of expression before… and the emotions you gave off were… interesting. But yes, I would like to inform you more about my Hive's… future. It might take a while to explain everything.”

Silver smiled softly. “I have all the time in the world. I’ll let you set the pace. I just wish to know everything so that I can do my job in the best possible way and help your Hive survive. I’m certain that Princess Celestia would want your race to continue living… nopony deserves to die out.”

Chrysalis nodded her head gently, slowly. Yet again, she felt she was in for a long discussion… but for some reason she was looking forward to it this time.

Author's Note:

Chapter 3! Hope you all enjoyed the setup. This chapter was... well, boring for me in the long run. I tried to spruce it up and keep thing interesting while setting the scene up for what's to come next. Look forward to my little history behind the origin of the Changelings! (which I should add was inspired by multiple other stories and youtube theories that I've seen over the years) :pinkiehappy:


Chapter 4 will be out next week. :twilightsmile: