• Published 12th Oct 2016
  • 2,138 Views, 42 Comments

Behind a Shifting Mask - Oddling



Silver Skies was known for many things, mainly being one of the best diplomats for Princess Celestia. Little did anypony know, that there was a little bit more behind the mask he wears...

  • ...
5
 42
 2,138

13 - Different Matters

“Hmm…” Whisper Winds hummed as she read the last of the scroll’s contents. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the comfy chair as she passed the document over to Silver Skies, whose blue aura surrounded the parchment. The Changeling Princess was quiet for a few moments as she thought about everything she had just been made aware of. After her pause, Whisper’s lips curled up in a gentle smile and she peeked an eye open at the grey stallion across the room. “With how you manage to put together such things, I’m surprised we’re even wasting our time discussing these topics. Everything you’ve shown me has been splendid. I see no reason for my Queen to reject any of these proposals.”

Silver grinned for a moment as he shook his head and straightened out a stack of papers, adding the latest scroll to it. “I appreciate your kind words, but just because somepony has good ideas doesn’t mean that the second party shouldn’t have a say in the matter. It’s polite and a necessary evil for me to show you all of these documents,” he replied before his grin slipped away. “Are you sure that it’s alright that the magic researchers are being so stubborn? I’m sure I could get them to reconsider…”

Whisper shook her head softly. “Please don’t concern yourself with it too much. Our peace has only just begun, Silver. There is still time.” Her smile warmed and she gazed kindly at Silver Skies. “Besides, I have little doubt that you’ve already started looking for a solution on your own.”

A wry chuckle slipped through Silver’s grin before he feigned innocence. “My dear princess, I have no idea where you would have gotten such an outrageous idea,” he said before playfully poking his tongue out at her.

Whisper giggled behind her hoof. “It’s such a mystery. I do so wonder why I’d be under the impression that you’re a mastermind.”

Silver returned Whisper’s smile and he closed his eyes. “I will admit that I have looked into a few theories. I have yet to start on some minor experimentation, but once I get a little time to devote to them I’ll have a better idea about a few things. Of course, I’d require help from a Changeling for the best results.”

Whisper looked thoughtful for a moment as she tapped her chin with her hoof. “So… in your opinion, would you need a male? Female? Would I be a viable test subject?” she asked.

Silver smiled slightly, admiring Whisper’s intuitiveness. “A female would provide the best results. Ideally, I believe I would have the best luck with a Changeling that has… given birth? Laid eggs? Now that I think about it, I’m still unsure as to the details behind Changeling reproduction.”

Silence filled the room for a time as Whisper eyed Silver curiously. Eventually a sly grin crossed over the princess’ features and she lidded her eyes. “Are you sure you want to know how we Changelings reproduce?” she asked with a deliberately sensual pose.

Silver Skies stared blankly for a second before the implications registered in his mind. Oh, that was clever, Whisper, he thought as he fought back a grin. He knew that she was trying to get a rise out of him and decided to play along. He cleared his throat gently and provided the Changeling with an innocent smile. “Absolutely, Whisper, I’d love nothing more than to be educated on any aspect you deem fit to teach me,” he said and tilted his head in faux curiosity.

Whisper grinned and her wings buzzed excitedly for a brief moment. So he wants to play along, does he… she thought quickly. I wonder… oh I hope he doesn’t mind.

The Changeling Princess slowly stood from her spot on the chair, taking extra care to accentuate her movements. Once she was up on all four legs, Whisper made a bit of a show stretching to display her slender body and expose her neck. Much to her surprise, she quickly started feeling that same love-like emotion from Silver. Maybe he likes what he sees? Would that mean he finds me… attractive? Oh my, maybe I shouldn’t test this. What if it backfires? I don’t want to upset him. Mother would be so very cross with me if that happened, Whisper thought as she focused on Silver.

The moment Whisper’s eyes met with Silver’s, a slightly stronger wave of emotion wafted off of the stallion and a faint blush tinted his cheeks. Seeing such a reaction and becoming influenced by the feelings he was giving off, Whisper found her body moving on its own. She slowly approached Silver Skies, never breaking eye contact with him.

Silver’s heart raced as he watched Whisper. He found himself captivated by her… as if looking away would have been the greatest mistake he could possibly commit. Every little detail of her movements was like a work of art and it was all for him. The Changeling Princess slowly circled around Silver’s desk and he swallowed nervously. She was stunningly beautiful as she eyed him with those tantalizing slitted green eyes. It was incredible, the feelings he was feeling at that moment, especially considering that he had only just met her earlier that day. Wait a minute…

It suddenly dawned on Silver; he had just met a Changeling Princess for the first time that afternoon, the very same afternoon following his episode with Chrysalis’ pheromones. Silver subconsciously facehooved like an idiot and he sighed as he coaxed his emotions to reset again. Whisper’s advances instantly halted and she gazed at Silver questioningly. The grey stallion forced a smile and he gently cleared his throat. “It… would seem that we may have to be more careful about being together in enclosed spaces, Whisper. I think your pheromones are as potent as your mother’s,” he explained as calmly as he could.

Whisper thought on his words for a moment before comprehension struck her. They had spent the past six hours in a room that was roughly five pony lengths by seven. Being in close proximity to Silver with her natural bodily secretions permeating the air… there was little doubt that it had been sufficient enough to influence him. Her eyes slowly widened and the chitin of her cheeks darkened considerably as she realized just what she had nearly done without thinking about the potential consequences. In a rapid flash of green fire, Whisper changed into her pony form and hid behind her mane, her cheeks showing off a fierce blush. “Oh dear, I-I hope you can forgive me for my actions. I had no idea that you were being affected. I-”

Silver cut her off with a gentle pat of her hoof. “Don’t fret too badly over it. I think we were both caught off guard by the… circumstances. Besides… now that we know about this we can make sure to take the proper measures from now on. I don’t hold anything against you, Whisper. Please don’t think you are at fault,” he said kindly to her. In all honesty, he had to admit that he had not really minded. Even thinking more clearly, Silver was aware that he did find Whisper to be… well, oddly attractive. The thought was enough to give him pause, but the more he thought about it the more it made itself known to him. He seemed to like the way Whisper looked… heck, he even liked Chrysalis’ appearance. Maybe it was the allure? Could he have an attraction to them because of their more exotic features? It made sense in a way, since he had found a distinct lack in attraction to normal mares for most of his life. In addition, he was certainly not inclined to go for stallions – a fact that was solidified by how much just the thought of thinking about another male filled him with the desire to gag and scrub his mind with steel wool.

“Silver? Are you sure that you are not upset with me? Your emotions are drifting into an unusual direction…” Whisper said quietly.

Silver Skies chuckled gently. “Sorry… I was a little lost in my thoughts for a moment there. I assure you that it was not regarding you in any ill manner. My mind simply decided it was time to wander down a rabbit trail, so to speak. Come, I’m feeling quite famished and I think we both could use a change in scenery,” he said and smiled for Whisper.

Whisper nodded in agreement. She really felt it was a good idea to get out and… get some fresh air. It was kind of a peculiar thing, seeing why ponies were prone to needing breaks from social interaction at awkward times. As Whisper followed silently behind Silver Skies she started to see that things outside of the Hive were not like she had expected. Her gaze drifted up to look at the back of Silver’s head. Am I really suited for this? she wondered. What if I’m the wrong ling for this monumental task?

Author's Note:

Here's another chapter guys. It's another short one, but I had a little fun writing it out. I'm kinda experimenting and getting back in the groove for this story. Sorry if I missed any errors... I didn't have much time for proofreading.



As always, I hope you enjoyed the read. :twilightsmile: