• Published 10th Oct 2016
  • 512 Views, 5 Comments

The Red Sun Rises: Voyages - The Atlantean



As Crimson Dawn fights the Crystal Empire at Manehattan, Princess Celestia must journey to unknown lands in search of a way to bring her sister back from the dead.

  • ...
 5
 512

Getting Underway

“You know, cousin, the fastest way to the Dominion is by ship.”

Celestia looked up from the map of Atlantis and the surrounding regions and at the queen. She had initially thought that a land route would be quickest. “And why is that?”

“Because, Celestia, the waters off Atlantis are surprisingly warm during the winter months. Warm enough for a wooden cargo ship, at least. On the other hoof, the land freezes over. Ice covers this entire border from Hearth’s Warming all the way to Hearts and Hooves. And I don’t mean a layer of ice like the kind seen in Canterlot. I mean glaciers. They form on the Northern Run as the river cools in autumn, and slowly thaw. All in all, you won’t be able to come home in time to skip past the glaciers, since they stack up in about a week. You’ll be stuck in Dominion territory until the Northern Run thaws again.” Atlanta explained. She indicated the locations as she mentioned them.

The map itself was a marvel of topographical achievement. Each mountain in the Whispering Highlands, between Atlantis and Griffonstone, was carefully marked with an elevation accuracy of three meters. The Pass wound through the Highlands, twisting and turning in an unbelieveable pattern. On the Atlantean coast, several ports were spaced three hundred knots apart exactly as if sailing. There was Crimson’s hometown, Summercrest, and a small fishing area at the continental corner. It was the second east of Nautinia, the Atlantean capitol and Reagan’s present location. The naval harbor Saltlake Bay sat just east of Nautinia, being the homeport and shipyards of half the Atlantean Navy. Many military bases dotted the interior, such as Emberforge Base, built into the remains of an ancient, extinct volcano, and Starsong Encampment, the Atlantean army’s northernmost base of operations.

On Atlantis’s northern border sat the Northern Run. It was a kilometer long and half as deep, and extended on east in dozens of tributaries and one calmed to become Griffonstone’s Guto River. All in all, the Run could not be easily crossed in winter, which helped lead to the victory over the Dominion, on the north side.

Celestia understood Atlanta’s point. But she had to ask Robinson his opinion on the matter.

“It wouldn’t be that difficult,” he replied. “We could make the trip in a week or two.”

“You’d better,” warned the queen. “We haven’t mapped more than fifteen knots out to sea because of the Corsairs of Korea, and some myths claim a monster to be out there. I don’t know if your crews have faced something like it before, but I advise caution.”

“All myths back on Earth turned out to be sailors mistaking creatures, like the manatee for mermaids. We’ll be fine.”

Celestia eyed the admiral worriedly. “In Equestria, unusual things can happen.”

“Atlanta probably hasn’t seen the damned thing.”

“I can hear you, Admiral, and I can assure you will encounter one. I did myself while on a relaxation cruise two years ago. Daydream turned to nightmare as this-” she shuddered- “creature attacked. It had the tentacles of an octopus, eyes of an eagle, the hearing of a bat. The thing could smell the fear inside me as it ate my guard one by one. I shot it with magic, but it simply bounced off. Only once it consumed me in a single bite was I able to attack with actual results. I escaped back to my ship, which was reduced to splinters by its horrible appetite for pony flesh. It saw me and captured me, knocked me unconscious, and the next thing I know, I’m in its lair, where the skeletons of countless pony princesses were scattered about the floor. I barely escaped back to land with my life.”

Celestia’s concern grew. This thing actually existed. And it desired the meat of ponies. Her journey to revive Luna just got that much more dangerous.

“So, Atlanta, I take it you’re staying here to rule Atlantis?” she asked.

“Yes. That and the beast. Do you need anything else before you depart?”

“No. We should be on our way.”

“Good luck then. May Harmony guide you to your destination safely.”

“And the same for you, my cousin.”

The Queen of Atlantis cast a spell to switch to her alicorn form, then teleported off the carrier. Her kingdom needed her.

Robinson and Celestia walked to the Bridge. More repairs were being made, as the makeshift computers broke continuously. Sparks flew into view from the window when a welder reconnected the cut bulkhead to the Island superstructure. It was a tedious job, having to fix the metal weld every few days. But it had to be done, or Robinson would be staring at a nonexistent wall.

On the Flight Deck, the survivors of USS Halyburton’s destruction packed their tents to move into an area of the Hangar Deck opened for them. It would keep the sailors from interfering with takeoff procedures, and give them better shelter from the elements at the same time. It was also noisier in the Hangar, but the crew didn’t seem to mind. The safer they were, the better they felt about the possibility of returning home.

Aircraft stood aft of the sailors, waiting for them to clear the path to the catapults. Their engines were running, their pilots were ready, and Amber gave them a Green Deck. Jet turbines whined at a high pitch as the fuel lines were disconnected and personnel kept away from the front of the aircraft.

Celestia walked onto Vulture’s Row, a balcony-like projection off the port side of the Bridge. She looked out to the bow and let the cool sea breeze flow through her hair. Reagan was about to sail east, and she knew her job was to navigate, which meant not getting out much.

Robinson watched as the princess’s hair waved and flapped around in the wind. She closed her eyes and tilted her head up, taking in the beauty and coolness of the fresh air. She was even smiling.

She’s beautiful.

He stepped out onto Vulture’s Row next to her. She looked slightly up at him, as he was an inch or two taller, and he could see it in her eyes: she was tempted to do something.

“Celestia, how many times has someone told you that you’re the reason they get up in the morning?”

“Very many times, actually. After all, I do raise and lower the sun.”

“Not that. I mean as in their personal reason.”

“Not at all. Why?”

“Because it is for me.” Robinson leaned down to her level and pressed his lips to hers. To his surprise, she returned the kiss. Her eyes fluttered and her arms wrapped around him. He did the same, and they stood for a few minutes, caring only about the moment.

He finally pulled away from her. She followed his lips for a second, then pulled back herself. Both of them blushed slightly.

Robinson’s small blush reddened when he turned to see the entire bridge crew watching. They were grinning ridiculously, with some close to bursting into laughter at their commander’s predicament.

“Someone found a lover,” one officer commented.

The admiral quickly regained his composure. “I have the Conn. Helm, ahead full, bearing zero-nine-zero. Inform the fleet of our course. Communications, inform the Pentagon that we are underway, and ask them how many surface combatants are left in the Pacific Fleet. Their radio silence is giving me the shivers.”

The Bridge became a flurry of activity. The Helmsman set the carrier on its new heading and speed, the tactical officers sat in front of their makeshift combat computers, and the communications officer radioed the Pentagon.

After a few minutes, Robinson had an answer to his question. The entire Pacific Fleet was sunk, with only submarines staying in deep water remaining. Reagan and her Task Force had the only surface warships left, along with the eight ships assisting the Equestrian army against the Changelings. With the other ships several weeks out, Robinson was on his own.