• Published 10th Oct 2016
  • 511 Views, 5 Comments

The Red Sun Rises: Voyages - The Atlantean



As Crimson Dawn fights the Crystal Empire at Manehattan, Princess Celestia must journey to unknown lands in search of a way to bring her sister back from the dead.

  • ...
 5
 511

Reports

“Sir, Pacific Command is back up.”

Robinson acknowledged the news. He was in CDC again, with Celestia at his right and Amber on his left. And after the loss of their small fleet’s two destroyers, Chafee and Arleigh Burke, the forced sinking of the submarine Nebraska, and the frigate Halyburton’s destruction before reaching the Atlantean port Nautinia, this was very good news indeed. But there would be no cheering tonight. The crews were busy repairing the ships.

Reagan was in drydock, having sailed into where the Russians had reserved for a carrier. They had obviously thought they could capture Reagan, and the Russian arrogance meant repairs would be easier. As was Pennsylvania, in a smaller dock meant for modern cruisers. Hull integrity had to be restored before either ship hit the open ocean. The rest of the fleet had pulled into the small wharf, their blackened superstructures listing slightly. It would take a Herculean effort to get enough repairs done in the time left before something else went wrong.

Robinson ordered the officer to report their success in taking Stormwater Cove and asked for more fighters. After all, he only had a damaged three left.

“Admiral, it is good to see you again. Your request may have to be put on hold, as we're working to eliminate the Russian and Chinese threats. However, you are the only ones in that world. And all American ships should be able to come home.” The admiral in Pacific Command sighed. “I'm sending reinforcements.”

“Thank you, sir. But I also have a few requests for the rest of the fleet.”

“What kind of requests?”

“Nothing much, sir. I feel that the crews of all ships should receive some medal. Every one of them served above and beyond most other ships in the Navy. In fact, I'm recommending some for the Medal of Honor. They deserve it.”

The admiral in Pacific Command was surprised. “Surely they can't have performed that admirably. They were most likely just following orders.”

Robinson wouldn't have any that ‘orders’ bullshit. “I have the entire surviving fleet as witnesses. This is serious, sir.”

“I'll have to speak with the President.”

“Then do it. My ship ain't going anywhere in the next week. And if you could replenish our SM-3s and other ordinance, that would be wonderful.”

“That can be easily done. We'll send three Atlantic fast attacks and four Atlantic surface combatants when the next portal to your location opens.”

“Thank you, sir. I will wait for their arrival.”

Robinson cut the transmission. His shoulders slooped down with relief. Celestia smiled wearily, and cast a communications spell. Moments later, the tired form of her commander, Crimson Dawn, materialized. Soon after, Princess Cadence and the Element bearers materialized, all except Princess Twilight.

They all were relieved to see Celestia alive and well. Having not heard from her in at least a week, that was to be expected. They gave the heartbreaking report.

“Princess Celestia, we have been unable to find Princess Twilight after the Everfree Castle was obliterated. We can only assume that she has either died or been teleported to another location, quite possibly the human world or the Crystal Empire. I'm sorry.” Crimson bowed his head.

Celestia’s shoulders sagged. This wasn’t what she’d been hoping for. Twilight was her prize pupil, her protege, now the Princess of Friendship. She couldn’t just be gone. “Did you actually find evidence of your predictions?”

“Yes.” Cadence solemnly used a levitation spell to lift a single object into view of the Princess of the Sun. It was Twilight’s crown, the one she used after putting the Element of Magic into the Tree. Beside it, already on the table, was a burned lock of Twilight’s mane, found after two weeks of fruitless searching.

Its shiny gold frame was burned. A fracture down the middle nearly severed the thing in half, and the once-beautiful gems at the points of the crown were either shattered or broken off completely. Even with a powerful magic shielding it from destruction, almost nothing was left. It showed the power of the blast that hit the Everfree Castle.

And to think that Twilight telepathically connected herself with it, thought Celestia. What was left kept Twilight alive, if barely. Unless, of course, the blast severed the connection, which was as equally likely. Until now, Celestia had underestimated her opponent’s capabilities.

She stood straight, signaling that she was about to issue an order. “Keep searching for Princess Twilight. We cannot lose her, not now. And launch an offensive campaign. Crimson Dawn, you have my authorization to take any city conquered by the Crystal Empire and to devastate their supply routes. I know this isn’t like me to order something of this destructive scale, but Sombra has left me no choice. Do what you must.”

Crimson saluted. “Yes, ma’am. I hope to see you once this is all over, cousin.”

Celestia nodded. “As do I.”

The spell ended. Amber, who’d been watching the whole thing, showed her emotions despite attempts to hide it. The (controversially) most central character in all of MLP was quite possibly dead. If that wasn’t enough, Equestria was on the verge of being conquered by Sombra, Princess Luna had been assassinated, and shit generally hit the fan of history. And there seemed to be nothing she could do about it.

To hell there was.

Equestria was not going to be conquered. Sombra was not going to win. That much was certain if they could get to the Dominion, where they could get help in reviving Luna and Twilight if necessary.

Robinson thought the same as his CAG and former Air Boss. Determination spread to the rest of the crew in CDC, and eventually the rest of the fleet. As soon as Reagan and Pennsylvania were restored to manageable sailing ability, the fleet would head north. They had two goals in mind: getting home, no matter the cost, and bringing balance to both worlds.

Author's Note:

Short (but maybe not sweet). When I write the other side of this section of timeline, Everything on the Equestrian side of the world will be explained, even Twilight's absence. So don't worry about it.