• Published 10th Oct 2016
  • 511 Views, 5 Comments

The Red Sun Rises: Voyages - The Atlantean



As Crimson Dawn fights the Crystal Empire at Manehattan, Princess Celestia must journey to unknown lands in search of a way to bring her sister back from the dead.

  • ...
 5
 511

Plans And Pennsylvania

The next morning, after Celestia switched the sun and moon, they were able to identify the Russian pilot and his plane, one from WWII. He had been flying above the Russian coast on a patrol when a sudden crosswind knocked his aircraft to the side, and he spiraled into a hole in the sky to end up over the Celestial Sea. Once he regained control, he saw the carrier group and attempted to land for supplies and a way home, barely making out the American flag. He had assumed it was a secret weapon for the war against Nazi Germany, but realized his mistake when he noticed two extra stars on the flag. He honestly thought the ship was American, and was relieved to learn that it was, but paled when they told him the date they entered the Sea.

Meanwhile, Celestia slept in her quarters, specially modified for her use. She had gotten used to the constant noises and rolling of the carrier, and it actually quite pleasant. Admiral Robinson did his best to make sure she was comfortable since she was royalty, after all.

Her peaceful slumber was interrupted by a call. “Princess, Robinson needs you in the briefing room.”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes,” she replied. “Just taking a nap.”

Celestia got out of the bunk and stood straight. She then teleported to the briefing room to meet Robinson. He and the other senior officers were seated around the tables, leaving one space open for her.

“Admiral.” The princess looked at the other faces. “What seems to be the problem?”

“The problem,” Amber replied, “is only known by Robinson. I’m just as clueless as you are.”

The admiral stood up when Celestia arrived. “Ladies, gentlemen, and princess, I have some interesting news. Our Russian friend is from the Second World War, and the newest addition to our fleet is confirmed to be USS Scorpion, lost at sea in May 1968. I haven’t the slightest idea why this is all happening, and I don’t doubt that you all don’t, either. But Celestia has given the possible explanation that her sister’s death combined with Reagan’s arrival into the world of a kid’s cartoon has ripped a hole in the very fabric of space-time, causing major events. Scorpion’s sinking may be attributed to coming here, and I’d rather not die far from home.

“However, Celestia has also given us some hope. Her suggestion is for us to get her to a country to the east, where they may be able to mend the break and get us home.”

The officers suddenly broke into chatter as they tried to comprehend the situation. It seemed as if they were in the position of Star Trek’s crew aboard Voyager in the show of the same name.

“Princess, would you like to explain further?” Robinson called over the noise. That got everyone’s attention.

“I’ll try.” She walked over to where Robinson stood, at the front of the room. “If we can get to the Dominion of Apollo, we can acquire advancements to send you home and revive my sister. According to my army’s current head, Crimson Dawn, they are the most advanced nation in the magical as well as the technological.”

Celestia continued to do her best to explain her plan in detail. As she finished, she told Robinson that steering closer to due east would prevent most encounters, as the shipping routes followed the coast.

Amber looked at her watch; they had been in there for two hours. Suddenly, a call from the bridge came. “Robinson, bridge. Scorpion has established several contacts off the starboard bow, thirty-five knots out.”

“How many contacts?”

“Wait, Omaha and Nebraska have picked up four contacts each, all corresponding to Scorpion’s.”

“HOW MANY CONTACTS DID SCORPION PICK UP?!”

“Four, sir.”

Robinson sighed. “Thank you.” He sounded exasperated.

“I’ll be there. Everyone, get to battle stations and sound General Quarters. Celestia, could you check it out while I get there?”

“Actually, I can teleport the both of us at once. Would you like that?”

His eyebrows raised. “Sure.”

She powered up her horn and the two appeared on the bridge. Robinson shivered, shaking his arms. “Woo! That felt really weird.”

The Officer of the Deck addressed the admiral. “Sir, we have all three fast attacks identifying contacts. Radio communication should come in any moment.”

Robinson nodded. His crew knew him well, well enough to take a guess at his plan and execute it a step ahead. The communications station blinked, and the sailor turned around. “Sir, we’ve identified contacts. It’s USS Chafee, USS Klakring, USS Halyburton, and - USS Pennsylvania?”

“Two frigates, one destroyer, and, - wait, what? Did you say Pennsylvania?”

The officer was just as confused as his senior officer. “Yes, sir. USS Pennsylvania, designation BB-38. Decommissioned in late August 1946, struck from the register in early 1948.”

Robinson scratched his head. Yet another puzzle had struck him full in the face. How had a battleship that served in both World Wars come to Equestria? More importantly to him, why wasn’t it sunk?

“Sir, Klakring is sending a message along radio.”

“USS Ronald Reagan, this is USS Klakring, designation FFG-42. Our few ships are heavily damaged with steering partially repaired. Pennsylvania requests to join our fleet. Should we accept or send them on their way?”

Robinson replied with acceptance to the battleship’s request. He would have to meet her commanding officer soon, or when he had time. For now, he had to be content with - wait, was Pennsylvania powered by wind? The admiral could clearly see tall wooden masts sticking out of the battleship on Scorpion’s video feed. Massive white sheets of cloth blew to the north, sending her to the supercarrier. Alongside sailed the smaller frigates and destroyer, clearly using their engines for movement.

After a few hours, the small fleet joined Reagan and her escort on their journey eastward. Pennsylvania sent a message in Morse code about the sea ahead, and activated her engines to keep up with the fleet. With little fuel, she could only go so far with the turbines, so Robinson had the other ships donate some fuel to fill the battleship’s tanks. He would’ve had some from the carrier go, but Reagan’s deck was too damn wide. Plus, he wasn’t sure if the carrier’s fuel matched, considering it was nuclear powered rather than conventionally. Fucking stupid nuclear power. At least the carrier doesn’t need to be refueled.

The combined fleet sailed on into the night as Celestia switched the sun and moon once more.

Author's Note:

The fleet that joined them was the one that met the battleship, 100 nautical miles east of Reagan. They sailed northeast once steering was repaired, then met up with the carrier. As for the one to the west, they'll be in Crimson's side of this part of the timeline.
I know, language. But it's a shitload less than normal Navy speak, so deal with it. My parents were in the Navy, so I should know.
And yes, most of the more peaceful chapters will end with Celestia swapping the sun and moon. It'll get repetitive, but it has that feeling of tranquility, somehow...
Feedback appreciated!