• Published 4th Oct 2016
  • 473 Views, 14 Comments

Madhouse - Closer-To-The-Sun



A.K. Yearling awakes to find herself in the house of a pony who saved her life during a blizzard. But not everything is as it seems. Can Yearling survive this encounter with her number one fan?

  • ...
4
 14
 473

Chapter 4: Angel Of Death

The typewriter clicked away in the room. Yearling was typing at a sluggish rate, but she was making progress on the new novel. Every so often, she would pause to moan in pain at her injured legs. The codeine painkillers were working, but it didn’t alleviate all of the pain, and it was driving Yearling insane. And the codeine was also another problem; she was becoming more and more dependant on the painkillers. Sure, they would make her body feel weighed down like a ton of bricks, but she didn’t care; they were the only beacon of light that the author had in the dark nightmare she was trapped in.

Yearling paused her typing. She looked at the typewriter and the papers all over the desk. It was a mess, like her real workspace back home. She found it a bit amusing and would of smiled if she was reminded of her legs throbbing in pain. Turning her attention to the broken legs that daggled below her, she could tell her body was trying to heal itself but it was doing so incorrectly. She needed medical attention. She needed to get out of this house.

“Knock knock!” A perky voice called out.

Yearling quickly turned her attention back to the typewriter, “Yes, what is it?” Her words were cold.

Snow Script entered the room. Her face still had the contented look upon her face. Yearling had grown to hate and fear it. “I’m just here delivering your lunch. Today’s special is minestrone soup with a wheat roll, bon appétit!” Snow placed the tray on a somewhat empty area of the desk.

Yearling looked down at the tray set before her. There was a bowl of soup, a roll with a stick of butter nearby, a spoon for the soup, a knife for to spread the butter, a glass of water, and a small paper cup with pills inside. Just as she had hoped, her painkillers arrived.

“How is your progress going, Ms. Yearling? I do hope my aromatherapy candles are helping you concentrate.”

Turning to a small stack of papers, Yearling spoke, “Here’s what I have so far. It’s a little over halfway done. I still got a bit of ways to go.” Her words were tired and exhausted.

“Ooo! May I take a sneak peek?” Snow asked as she inched over toward the desk little by little.

“No, you can’t do that!” Yearling bit back, her words finding some energy. She placed a hoof over the stack.

Snow seemed to be sad at the reaction. “Aww, but why not?” her words sounded like a little filly who was told they could not go outside to play with her friends.

“Because….” she trailed off, “I’m still working some things out. It’s a work in progress. You can’t rush these sort of things.”

“Oh, and you don’t want me to see it until it’s done, right?” Snow became excitable again.

Yearling bitterly answered, “Yeah, sure.”

Jumping up and down, Snow Script clapped her hooves together, “Oh, wonderful! Just absolutely wonderful! I’m so excited!”

While Snow was cheering, Yearling took the moment to take the painkillers. Washing it down, she felt like it was the real thing this time around. She breathed a sigh of relief.

“And just think, if it wasn’t for me keeping you here for this past week, you wouldn’t be able to get all of this wonderful feedback about your work and you wouldn’t be so driven to write!” Snow Script commented with a smile on her face.

Yearling thought for a moment. Had it really been a week since she arrived? The days were blending together, she couldn’t tell what time it was if it weren’t for the three meals that Snow Script would deliver to her daily. The falling snow outside the window didn’t help Yearling place the time of day either. Light would come in, but the position of Celestia’s sun would still be hidden by the thick clouds.

“A week….” she repeated weakly, thinking of how long she had been trapped within that room.

“That’s right, a whole week! But we will be here as long as it takes for you to write that perfect novel!” Snow answered.

“I’ve been….here a whole week….” Yearling said weakly before turning toward Snow and raising her voice, “You’ve kept me trapped here against my will for a whole week!”

Snow’s smile didn’t fade, “I wouldn’t say ‘trapped’, that’s such an ugly word. I prefer the word ‘detained’. It makes it sounds like you have been here kept here at a suggestion an nothing sinister.” The tone of her voice didn’t match the darkness behind the words.

“You’re a monster!” Yearling shouted out. Through her gritted teeth, she added on, “You are nothing more than a horrific fiend!”

“Now now, that’s not how you speak to someone who has been nursing you back to health,” her voice still sounded sweet and innocent.

Yearling was dumbfounded at her statement, “Are….Are you kidding me? You broke my freaking leg with a sledgehammer!”

“Because I wanted to give you motivation to write,” Snow mused, “and it worked, did it not?”

She looked up right into Snow’s eyes, “You are nothing short of a demon with your savagery. You are an utter monster.”

Snow gave a stern warning with her cheery voice, “Careful, you don’t want to do something naughty, now would you?”

Yearling spat right at Snow’s face. It landed on her right cheek.

Raising a hoof up, Snow wiped the saliva off of her face. Her smile was still there, but it was more sinister than previously. “Now, why did you have to go and do that, Ms. Yearling? We were having such a lovely time.”

Snow Script calmly grabbed the knife from the tray. She inspected the knife calmly as she spoke, “I’m going to do something. Something that will allow us both to remember this lovely experience for the rest of our lives.” Before Yearling could ask what she was talking about, she used her free hoof to grab on to Yearling’s right ear. “Now hold still, I don’t want to hurt you,” she said placing the knife up against the skin of Yearling’s ear.

Yearling’s voice dropped in terror, “What are you doing?”

Calmly, Snow pushed the knife against the ear. Then she started the move the blade back and forth. A searing pain went through Yearling’s body. The blade was cutting through the skin, the tissue, and the cartilage of the ear. Blood started to pour out of from the wound, same with the screams of pain and horror from Yearling.

“It’s okay, I’m almost done,” Snow spoke in a peaceful and soothing manner. The smile was still on her face.

Yearling shouted out in agony, swearing and begging for Snow to stop. However, her pleads failed as her caretaker was humming a happy tune as she continued to drive the knife through her ear. The pain was unbearable for the author.

After what seemed like eternity, Snow had finally cut through the section of ear she had set out to cut off. The section was about two inches in size, consisting of mostly the top part of her ear.

“My word, that is quite a lot of blood,” Snow commented, looking

“You….demon….you aren’t a pony….you’re nothing more….than an angel of death….” The author tried to shout, but all she could muster was a small statement.

“And now I must cauterize.” She ignored the insults against her. Instead, she raised the same knife she just used to cut through the ear up to one of the candles. Quickly, the metal grew hot.

“Why….” Yearling said through her painful moans.

“I wanted a small memento of our time together, and you have one too!” Snow pulled the knife away from the flame. It was glowing red. “Okay, now hold still, this may sting a little.”

She lowered the flat surface of the knife to the open wound. There was a slight sound of the hot metal closing the wound. It was lost over the sound of Yearling’s painful cry. The wound was closed up and the bleeding stopped, however it seemed that Snow left the heated metal against Yearling longer than needed for her own pleasure. Finally, she removed it.

“There, that should stop the bleeding!”

Yearling was gasping for air after the ordeal. She slowly raised a hoof up to ear, lightly touching the newly cauterized ear. Lowering her hoof, she saw it was bloody. She then saw there was her blood on her, the papers, the desk, the knife, and even on Snow Script herself. Yearling was at a loss for words.

“Let me get a towel so you can clean up and get to work. Until then, you should eat. Your soup must be getting cold!” Snow said happily as she left the room with both the bloody knife and the piece of Yearling’s amputated ear.