• Published 5th Oct 2016
  • 919 Views, 23 Comments

Stories From Beyond the Grave - Gravekeeper



A collection of ficlets, snippets, and unexpanded/unexplored ideas; all of them carefully packaged in a standard shipping container.

  • ...
7
 23
 919

3 - Color Coded... and Drunk

Author's Note:

Timeline:
Fits pretty much anywhere before the end of Season 3.

Background:
Plow Claw and I were talking about the lows us shippers might sink to in order to ship efficiently and prodigiously, and I suggested color-coded shipping as an excellently flimsy excuse for pairing up ponies. Suddenly, we had Rarilestia, RariScratch, TwiSparkler, Minuexie, and, of course, BerryTwi.

Status:
Standalone and done; no future plans as of now, but I did have fun writing it!

Color Coded... and Drunk

"Ugh... Am... Am I blind? Again? Spike, are you there? I... I'm not sure but I think I forgot to wear the goggles. Again."

"Is that the dragon thing you keep around?"

"GAH—!" Twilight shouted, before immediately regretting it. "Sweet Celestia my head!"

"Yeah, you were really pounding them down hard last night. Don't worry, I just put a sleeping mask on ya so you could sleep in a little longer... I kinda figured you would need it after the evening we had."

Twilight lifted an uncoordinated hoof to her face, feeling for the mask. She let the hoof drop on a very comfy bed she was fairly certain wasn't hers. "Um... Okay... I'm not sure how to ask this politely so... We?"

Berry Punch giggled. "We, as in Twilight Sparkle, the Tree Hermit, and Berry Punch, the... Free Turnip?"

"Pfffft! Ow!" Twilight sputtered and held her head with her hooves. "Please don't make me laugh..."

"Sorry, I panicked;" Berry said, gently running a comforting hoof through Twilight's mane. "Thought I'd impress you with my cunning linguistics, but then I remembered I'd already returned the thesaurus I borrowed from the library."

Twilight used her magic to lift one side of the mask, eyeing Berry with one half-open eye. "You did no such thing. Nopony's borrowed a thesaurus yet in all the time I've been living in Ponyville."

"Geez, hungover and still your brain's got more horsepower than most sober ponies!" Berry laughed, nudging Twilight lightly.

Twilight blushed at the contact, and her smile faltered a bit. Berry was quick to notice, and quickly removed her hoof from Twilight's mane. "Um..." Twilight began, pulling the mask all the way off. "So, yes, I did, er... wake up in your bed, I'm assuming?"

Berry Punch nodded, keeping her expression neutral. "You assume correctly, yes."

"I... See..." Twilight blushed deeper. "Well, there's certainly no polite way of asking, um..."

"We didn't have sex," Berry said, tinging a bit and averting her gaze to an apparently very interesting wall.

Twilight let out a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding. "Okay, that's good! Er, that is to say, not that I think you're unattractive or anything but I really don't remember anything from last night past a certain point and I would've felt really bad because I didn't even know who I was talking to a minute ago and—"

Berry bopped Twilight's nose, which scrunched adorably as a reflex. "You're cute when you ramble. And don't worry, I know for sure you don't think I'm unattractive."

"Um." Twilight's eyes darted from side to side quickly, her eyebrows raised skyward. "Okay?"

"You are the flirtiest drunk I've ever met," Berry smirked, leaning back down on the bed, resting on her side while facing Twilight.

"Oh no..." Twilight covered her eyes with her foreleg, blushing redder still.

"Oh yes! I will admit: when I saw you strutting your way up to me last night, wine bottle floating behind you, I thought you were about to ruin both our nights."

"By Luna's moonlit butt, please, stop..."

Berry giggled, pulling Twilight's hoof away from her eyes. "I get hit on all the time by drunks; I guess I kinda have a reputation?" she said, her lopsided smile and downcast eyes betraying her otherwise cheery tone for the briefest moments. "Anyways, you've got Game, Sparky!"

Twilight smiled despite her embarrassment. "'Game'?"

"I don't think anypony's ever spoken to me like that, drunk or sober... Just... a very organized list of things you find beautiful on me?" Berry's smile turned hopeful, but it quickly gave way to a smirk. "If I hadn't actually seen you down three bottles of wine while we chatted, I wouldn't have even known you were drunk off your haunches."

Twilight groaned. "I want you to know that the only reason I haven't teleported myself to the moon right this very second is because trying to do so with this massive headache would probably result in me scattering my individual atoms across the interplanar sphere."

Berry guffawed, then drew closer to Twilight, tentatively resting her hoof on the unicorn's head again. "Hey, there's waaaay worse things to be than an eloquent drunk. And you have a beautiful singing voice, too!"

Twilight blinked. She turned to face Berry, who was still smirking. "Sweet Celestia, no... Please tell me I didn't—"

"—Sing me a song that evolved into a town-wide musical about my flanks? Totally didn't."