• Published 5th Oct 2016
  • 917 Views, 23 Comments

Stories From Beyond the Grave - Gravekeeper



A collection of ficlets, snippets, and unexpanded/unexplored ideas; all of them carefully packaged in a standard shipping container.

  • ...
7
 23
 917

5 - Career Paths

Author's Note:

Timeline:
Weaves in and out of the canon starting from Boast Busters all the way up to the fifth season.

Background:
An idea inspired by another story snippet written by Plow Claw, in which Trixie makes the most of an uncertain future after starting a life with Princess Twilight.

Status:
I think it stands well on its own as it is, but it definitely has potential to be explored, especially centering on the letter exchange throughout the years. I dunno if I'll be the one to do so; this feels like it could grow to be a sort of Ballad Written in Season 6-type of thing, given infinite time on my part.


Warnings:
Talks of off-screen sexy times and foul language ahead!

Career Paths

Twilight opened her eyes, her vision blurry as she came back to life from what she could only describe as a sex coma. They had danced around each other for nearly two years, the taunting letters and friendly replies they'd traded becoming for each of them—unknown to the other—a desperate excuse to stay in each other's lives after that first meeting.

Trixie had traveled across the sea to start her touring anew in a continent unfamiliar with her disastrous Ponyville show, but she could never quite forget the image of that larger-than-life mare that tried so desperately to make herself indistinguishable from the crowd.

Twilight had been so excited when she got that first letter from Trixie; she'd lived a sheltered life in Canterlot, surrounded by gladhooving sycophants that could never muster any sort of opinion or difference of thought around Princess Celestia or her protege. Then Trixie came along: boastful, egotistical, telling everypony exactly how inferior she believed them to be...

Oh, Twilight could never let it show just how much she enjoyed that terrible attitude. And she didn't; she kept up the act. Her replies were always stern or pleasant appeals to get Trixie to come around to the magic of Friendship. For some reason, Trixie kept sending her letters. For some reason, Twilight kept responding to them.

At some point, Trixie had returned to the continent, and the letters had stopped abruptly. For more than a month, Twilight despaired; she had been anticipating Trixie's return for so long, and then... Nothing? Of course, she now knew that back home, nopony had forgotten about Trixie's Ponyville show; the news had spun out of control with rumors and hearsay about what had happened that night, and there had never been any attempt at damage control. Trixie's notoriety had been galvanized and had festered all that time.

Trixie spent many weeks getting booed, vandalized, and run out of many towns, and it had all culminated in the Alicorn Amulet incident. That night, away from prying eyes, inside Twilight's library... Trixie had broken down; cried out all her rage, all her frustration, all the anger she had placed on Ponyville and Twilight for the misfortune that followed her across the kingdom. It had been cathartic for both of them. Twilight had approached Trixie tentatively, but Trixie had kept her at leg's length. "Not yet," she had whispered, and they had left it at that.

A month later, Twilight had gotten a new letter from Trixie; in it, she had gleefully taunted Twilight, claiming that despite the librarian's best efforts, Trixie had started to see some success on the road. Twilight smiled, wiping a tear as she wrote down a chiding, good-natured reply on the dangers of boasting. The letters resumed with the same regularity they had before, though it was pretty clear to both of them that their exchanges had become mere pretext. Twilight, on a whim and perhaps inspired by Trixie's inimitable boldness, had invited the showmare to 'come take a personal tour of her new castle.' As soon as Spike had sent the missive via dragonbreath, Twilight had had a massive freakout about what she had written, and the way it was written.

Twilight had mentally prepared herself for many more months of silence and resigned herself to her own idiocy when, less than a week later, The Great and Powerful Trixie came to her door.

Twilight sighed at the memories, finally feeling somewhat able to get up from her coma. It was still dark out and she was alone in her bed, but the cool breeze that she felt on her skin gave her an inkling of where her very friendly 'nemesis' could be. Trotting up to the balcony, she found Trixie staring out towards the eastern skies, where the black veil of the night had started to give way to the lighter blues that preceded dawn.

"Trixie has always liked the twilight;" she began, sensing the young alicorn nearby. "Not many ponies are up at this time of day; the twilight hour's beauty is a bit of a secret that only early risers get to appreciate."

Twilight Sparkle blushed as she trotted up to the railing, sidling up to Trixie and draping a wing over her back. "Flatterer," she said, giving Trixie's neck a nuzzle.

Trixie smirked. "At this hour, the color of the sky matches Trixie's coat," she explained, using their position to give Twilight's ear a nibble.

Twilight barked out a quick laugh as she ducked away from Trixie's ministrations. Her laughter died down when she noticed that Trixie had not chased her, but instead, chose to remain where she stood, her smile fading as she returned her gaze to the horizon.

Immediately, Twilight's insecurities made their presence known, coming back with a vengeance after being driven away overnight from within Trixie's embrace. "You don't... Do you regret— should I have not, er..."

Trixie turned to look at Twilight with wide eyes.

"I knew I shouldn't have pushed what we had with that letter... It was my first time and you've probably been with like a thousand—"

"—Trixie is going to stop you right there before you finish that regretful thought," Trixie interrupted, holding up her hoof. "The only thing Trixie regrets is not doing this sooner." Trixie half-smirked as Twilight raised her gaze back at her. "In fact, Trixie would like to keep doing this in the very near future, and..." she blushed, "Well into the far future."

Twilight's heart wanted to beat out of its cage, and was quite adamantly attempting to override her baser brain functions into taking Trixie right there on the balcony. Unfortunately for her heart, Twilight's brain was perhaps the sharpest weapon in Equestria. The tone with which Trixie said had said that was carried an edge of foreboding to it. "...But?"

Trixie sighed. "Do you know what dating a Princess will do to my career?"

Twilight blinked. She knew a lot of things but, this? She could honestly say she had never even thought about that.

"Trixie will finally become a household name known all over the world... For being a Princess consort." she said, watching Twilight's bemused face turn to one of shock and understanding as the other horseshoe dropped.

"...Oh, shit."

Trixie's eyebrows shot up skyward, almost giving her whiplash. She stared at the Princess, who looked positively appalled at her own mouth as she stuffed her entire hoof into it. Trixie continued to stare in silence as Twilight's mortification made her turn redder and redder by the second. Trixie couldn't help it, she heaved out a thunderous laugh as Twilight tried to hide her face under her bangs. After a minute or so of laughter, Trixie finally calmed down enough to speak once more. "Trixie needed that," she said, smiling as she wiped a tear from her face.

Twilight frowned, still red from her neck to the tip of her ears. "But what about—"

Trixie closed the distance between them, meeting Twilight's lips. "You are going to make Trixie's professional life damn near impossible," she said, giving Twilight another peck, "You're lucky you're almost as hot as me."

Twilight's eyes teared up as she initiated a third kiss. "Trixie..." she whispered.

Forehead to forehead, Trixie smiled at the alicorn. "We have got to do something about that foul mouth of yours, however," she said, laughing at Twilight's scrunchy-nosed pout. "I think I'll rather enjoy having some dirt on you, Princess Twilight Sparkle," she added, "Naughty words befitting a very naughty Princess, and Trixie's the only one that knows..." she finished, breathing those last words close to Twilight's ear.

"Uhhhh," Spike interjected, raising his arm from where he sat at the far corner of the balcony, "I kinda... heard too," he said, bringing his claw down and pointing his index fingers into each other. "I've been sitting out here since last night, after you guys started ignoring me and started getting all hoofsy with each other."

Twilight turned to stone right where she stood. Trixie raised an eyebrow. "Well, you're family. Trixie is sure you've heard worse things come out of Twilight's mouth before."

Spike's face lit up. "Oh, definitely!" he replied, a brilliant smile stretching from ear to ear.

Trixie turned to face the Princess. "So Trixie and the dragon know; it's not that bad."

"Uhhhh," a familiar, raspy voice said from above.

Twilight's eye twitched as both her and Trixie looked skyward, where a small cloud floated overhead.

"Sorry, couldn't help overhearing, I was just doing— er, some chillaxing on my cloud all night and it sorta drifted over to the castle on its own. My bad."

Trixie blinked. "Alright, so, Trixie, the dragon, and the pegasus—"

"Rainbow Dash, is that Fluttershy up there with you?!" Twilight freaked, noticing a very long, pink tail dangling from the other side of the cloud.

A squeak. "Oh my! Um, no...?"

Rainbow Dash's eyes flicked nervously from side to side. "Uh, yeah, uh, what she said. Nope."