• Published 5th Oct 2016
  • 911 Views, 23 Comments

Stories From Beyond the Grave - Gravekeeper



A collection of ficlets, snippets, and unexpanded/unexplored ideas; all of them carefully packaged in a standard shipping container.

  • ...
7
 23
 911

2 - TMPS Prompt 103: Suit Up.

Author's Note:

Timeline:
September 10th, 2012

Background:
You guys remember Thirty Minute Pony Stories? To the unfamiliar, TMPS was a blog that issued daily story prompts to anyone up to the task, with the challenge being that you had to write your submission in under 30 minutes. A lot of the fun with these prompts were the different ways the writers would interpret the simple instructions provided. I had a number of other attempts at other prompts, but I think this one was the only one I submitted on time, while the website active.

Status:
Standalone and done!

P-Force

Rainbow Dash literally burst through my library's door, gently carrying Fluttershy in her forelegs and not-so-gently carrying Applejack and Rarity by their tails in her mouth; Pinkie Pie appeared to be quite happy being dragged along by biting on Dash's tail. With a whip of her body, she violently scattered the girls around the lobby, except for Fluttershy, whom she gingerly put down on her four legs, then lightly patted on her head.

Rainbow turned to me, blatantly ignoring my look of disapproval; I'd bill her for the door later, as always. “Okay Twi, I brought everypony here, just like you wanted!” she barked, ignoring the pained complaints of Rarity, Applejack, and Spike, whose only crime was being in the direct path of the former two.

I nodded. “Alright girls, we've got an emergency on our hooves,” I began, using my magic to gather everypony around me.

“Yeah!” Rainbow Dash interjected, “Snips, Snails, and What's-His-Face woke up the Ursa Major!” she added; I was about object to Rainbow Dash’s name-calling, but then I realized I actually couldn't remember that annoying kid's name either... Pipper? Squeaky something?

The girls all cast concerned glances in my direction, prompting me to elaborate. “Rainbow Dash spotted the boys running away from the Everfree Forest; when confronted, they told her they’d gone in for a dare...” I said, rolling my eyes; this had to be—by far—the most common excuse used by both foals and grown ponies alike to justify entering the forest.

“Anyways, here's the plan: you four are going to warn and help evacuate everypony while Fluttershy and I...” and that’s where I trailed off, distracted by an echo. It only took me a second to realize that Rainbow Dash and I had been saying the exact same thing at the exact same time. We both turned to look at each other. Dash's expression soured.

“Who died and made you leader? I found the kids, so this is my operation!”

Well, that came out of left field. “I'm no pony's leader; we're a team, Rainbow Dash. I just—”

“Man, you always come up with the plans! You're not in charge of us!” She pointed an accusatory hoof at me; I gathered that she was in no mood to be reasonable today.

Sensing her issue was focused particularly on me, I decided to diffuse and deflect. “For the last time, Rainbow, we're a team, and we're all equal! In fact, if anypony's the leader here, it'd be Applejack!” And I meant it, too; I know I can have… moments of reduced reasoning capacity when I get stressed out. Applejack, on the other hoof, is a rock.

“Whoa there, Sally!” AJ quickly spoke up, alarmed. “Don't drag me into this! I'm just a simple farmer!” ...Alright, so Applejack disagreed.

I gave her a skeptical look and was about to logically refute her obviously wrong opinion when Spike piped up, jumping between us all. “Uh, guys, how about a little less leadership and a lot more butt-kicking?” he asked, pointing out the window, where the massive beast was making short work of Town Hall. I could already see a few ponies floating in its starscape; I guess the Ursa Major doesn’t chew her food.

“Right!” we all said at the same time, galloping out the door.


“Right,” I began, with a roll of my eyes, “I’ve put all our names in this fabulous hat,” I continued as I saw Rarity beam, clearly ignoring my sarcasm. “The next name I draw out gets to be our leader,” I emphasized with just a bit of venom and a glare towards a certain sky-blue pegasus, “for the next global catastrophe.” Rainbow just grinned smugly at me, crossing her forelegs as she leaned against one of my bookshelves.


“Alright girls! Suit up!” I called, punching the red button on my watch. I grinned smugly at Rainbow Dash as the magic watches enveloped our bodies in blinding energy. The beak-shaped helmet that appeared around my head made me look absolutely ridiculous; I'm still not sure why I ended up as The Raven— some sort of inside joke, if Pinkie's uncontrollable giggling was any indication.

I couldn't care less, though; Rainbow Dash's, or rather, The Falcon's sour face as her scalloped cape materialized made it all worthwhile. I bet she hadn’t even considered that somepony besides herself could win the leader lottery, even after she dumped forty papers with her name on them in the in the hat!

I looked back towards our fearless leader, The Kakapo, with a smile; Pinkie Pie had easily convinced Rarity to come onboard with her plan by granting her the job of designing our outfits. Then she got Fluttershy to come around by telling her it would all be bird-themed. AJ and I, well... we just loved to see Rainbow Dash stew in her misery as her costume’s scarf wrapped around her eyes because of the wind.

I kinda liked the name, too. “Science Ninja Team Getcha-Mares are gonna getcha, Discord Jr.!” screamed The Kakapo, for some reason causing an explosion behind herself.

I rolled my eyes as I tried to not let it show how much fun this was going to be.