• Published 30th Sep 2016
  • 885 Views, 28 Comments

Split Conscience - TheMajorTechie



A man awakes to find a pony. In his mind.

  • ...
2
 28
 885

To Question Logic

"What's your name?" The figure asked, pointing an appendage at Craig.

"I... uh, I'm--"

"CRAIG!" The manager called through the locked door, "GET YOUR BEHIND UP HERE. NOW."

"Sorry... uh, Twilight, Craig replied as he strode past the lighted figure, "I've gotta get back on the job. Apparently the other guy bailed out early today."

"Twilight" nodded, and faded out of sight as Craig entered the storefront.


Craig gawked at what seemed to be an impossibly large heap of canned tuna. The woman behind the stacks was quite the opposite, though, her skinny frame hidden by several thick layers of coats.

"What do you need all this for?" He asked, raising a brow at the fifty or so cans in front of him.

The woman shrugged. "My cats eat a lot." Was her only answer.

The wind outside began to pick up as the sky darkened with heavy stormclouds. Suddenly, a bright flash blazed through the room, followed by eerie silence. The lights flickered for a few seconds, and then went dead.

Great. Craig thought as he stared at the dark cans in front of him, Now I've gotta total these up by hand...

Hmm... fifty-seven cans at two-fifty each, and according to your earlier work, tax rates in this place are about four-point-three percent...

Craig went silent as he listened to this "Twilight" calculate the total for him. In his mind.

The total's about a hundred forty-eight point sis-three in whatever currency you use.

Craig paused for a few more moments before looking up to face the woman behind the cans.

"That'll be a hundred forty-eight bucks and sixty-three cents, please."

The woman stared at Craig as if he had suddenly become king of the world.

"Did you--"

"No," Craig replied, "This girl in my head did all the calculating for me."

The woman continued staring, though in a much more peculiar manner, before swiping all the cans into a small wagon that Craig had failed to notice.

That... could've come out a bit better, y'think?

Chris shrugged as he stumbled towards the fusebox. "Honestly, what I'm wondering is how you managed to do all that in your head."

Don't question logic, Craig. Twilight replied as Craig arrived at the drab grey square in the wall.

"ARE YOU TALKING TO YOURSELF AGAIN, CRAIG?" The manager yelled from his office. He sounded angry, as he always seemed to be.

...As I said, Twilight continued, Don't try to question logic. You'll probably hurt yourself in the process.