• Published 30th Sep 2016
  • 880 Views, 28 Comments

Split Conscience - TheMajorTechie



A man awakes to find a pony. In his mind.

  • ...
2
 28
 880

Magic

Twilight quietly groaned as the broom made one final swoosh across the floor. "There." The mare began proudly, her image growing more opaque again by the second. "Clean."

Craig stood silent at the checkout stand, watching as the broom lifted from the floor one final time before drifting off into the closet once more. "So. Levitation." He smacked his lips, glaring towards the storefront. No customers as usual. He mused. Craig turned to Twilight, a slight grin appearing on his face. Or maybe...

Twilight's ears perked. "Maybe what?" She began, cantering back to the man, "Something about the lack of customers?"

"Oh." Was all Craig could muster as he was stared down by the alicorn, "I forgot you could read my mind." He paused for a moment, taking another glance at the storefront, and the sidewalk beyond the doors. "Anyways, I wanted to ask you something, Twilight."

"Yeah?"

Craig gestured at the broom closet. "I mean, you've already shown that you're pretty good at levitation. What else can you do?"

Twilight shrugged, sitting on the cold linoleum flooring. "Honestly, I've got more spells memorized than I can possibly count. Wait... let's see... carry the five, and-"

"Is it possible for you to maybe make some sort of light show?"

A momentary silence fell over the mare as her train of thought was cut off. "I- uh... I mean, yeah, I've got a couple spells for that." She stood up, looking towards the storefront windows. "Any specific requests?"

Craig shook his head. "Just keep it from getting too bright. I don't want to cause any accidents out there from asking you to try."

Twilight nodded as she lit her horn, immediately growing more transparent again.

"Twilight-"

"I already told you." Twilight grumbled, her back still turned to the man, "I know what I'm doing. I know my limits." A high-pitched squeal reminiscent of TV static ripped through the air as the smell of ozone began to drift from the mare's glowing horn. Seconds later, a bright beam of light blasted from Twilight, fading immediately into a softly-twinkling image of her own face, hovering just about a foot above the floor.

She turned her head to face Craig. "How's that?" She peeped happily, clapping her hooves, "It certainly took a lot out of me, but I did it!"

Craig nodded, eyes fixated upon the floating image of light. "I... I think you should stay away from magic for now though, Twilight. I don't want you to get hurt."

Twilight frowned as the last of the image faded into nothingness. "Fine." The mare pouted, "You don't have to baby me, y'know." Her eyes focused on Craig's own as she herself began to fade. "Anyways, I'm taking down my projection for now."

The last of the mare's form fizzled out into flecks of stray photons, her conscience once again retreating into Craig's mind.

Author's Note:

For a story as old as this, I still have no idea what I'm doing.