• Published 18th Sep 2016
  • 1,201 Views, 45 Comments

A Ghost in need - Bronycommander



March 1946. Germany is close to victory. A young recruit at Castle Wolfenstein finds something he would never expect

  • ...
2
 45
 1,201

Chapter 2 Ruby’s past

Chapter 2: Ruby’s past

“I used to live in a town called Sunny Town. It was isolated and we had rarely visitors. All the ponies in the town were superstitious, except me and my mother Mitta. Our language is called English, but the magic allows us to understand other languages, for me it’s still like English while for you its sounds like German.

A Stallion named Grey hoof was in charge of the town. I had a great life, until… I earned my Cutie Mark. It represents the special talent of a pony. And It turns out I’m good in finding things.

Nopony in our Town had ever seen a Cutie Mark. The only knowledge we had was a plague called Cutie Pox. It forces Ponies to do things what the marks showed.

But I wasn’t affected by it. Still everypony was afraid and said I had the mark and the curse.” Ruby started so sob but Helmut started to rub her back to comfort her like a good father would.

“The town was infested by the Cutie pox generations ago. But the fear that it would return was still here.”

Like the Plague in the Middle Ages. Helmut and Bernd had already sympathy for her.

“I still remember the day as it was yesterday. Grey Hoof was planning a party. He always liked it to plan parties. Before the party started, I heard how a Stallion named Roneo lost his gift he wanted to give to his marefriend Starlet.
After I found it, I felt my Cutie Mark appear. After this the ponies panicked. Grey Hoof wanted me to leave but I wasn’t ready to go out in an unknown world.”

“Understandable. It’s hard to step into an unknown world.”

“I know, Bernd. My mother pleaded Grey Hoof to find another solution. His solution was to end the ‘curse’ by killing the one who caused it.”

Bernd and Helmut couldn’t believe what they heard. “In panic I hid in my house. My mother tried to defend me, but the other pony’s made her watch. They all…” Ruby broke out in tears.

“Shh, it’s alright you don’t need to tell us.” Helmet hugged her.

“Thanks, I needed that. After I died, I found myself in the forest. It was strange to be dead but still be able to feel like I was still alive. After I returned, the Town was not the same Town I used to know. Everything was dark and the Pony’s including my mother… …They were dead...except...they weren’t. They were skinless, fleshless, skeletal and charred, but they were still walking, still...searching. For the mark. Something...something terrible happened to them for what they’d done...And no matter what, they just kept on hunting.”
At that point, Helmut and Bernd could fell their jaws drop.

“So I decided to not return to my former home. But one Day a filly came into the forest and followed me. I accidentally leaded her into the Town. After she was chased by the deceased residents of Sunny town who also were Zombies for some reason, I helped her to find a way out. After that I landed here. I can only pray that she is safe.”

“Sounds like you have been through a lot. But don’t worry, you are safe with us.”

“Oh, thank you!” Ruby returned the hug. “But if you’re Soldiers, does that mean you are at War?”

“Well, yes.” Bernd explained how the war began and how Germany was close to victory. Ruby lowered her ears.

“This is terrible.”

“But true. I’m sure that this war will be over soon.”

“I don’t feel so well.” Ruby was dizzy. Helmet gave her his canteen.

“Here, drink this. You should rest after your action.”

“Thanks.” While Ruby drank some water, a marksman walked in.

“Hey, what’s up Helmut? Who’s this?” Hans was also a friend of Helmut and Bernd.

“What I will tell you will not leave this room, is this clear?”

“Yes, Sir.” Bernd told Hans how they found Ruby. Hans also had sympathy for her.

“You poor girl. Don’t worry, we will protect you.”

“Your helmet looks so strange.”

“I know. I am a Marksman. I fight enemies over a long distance. For this task we are armed with the Bombenschuss bolt action rifle. The scope can be swing over for close combat. The rifle has a 5 round magazine. My helmet has a built in zoom function, just in case when no scope is available."

“Interesting. And what kind of weapon are you using, Helmut?”

“I use the Assault rifle 46-T. It has a 30 round magazine and can be fired fully automatic or in 3 Round bursts. Standard equipment for every Soldier. And this,” he pointed to Bernd’s Handgun, “Is the standard Sidearm for officers, the Handgun 1946. But I also have one.” He pointed to his holster. “You know, where I live in Wulfburg, my mother makes very good pretzels. I am sure you would love it.”

Before Ruby could answer she heard a growl. Greta barked at her but Helmet stood protective in front of her. “Greta. Heel.” Rudi Jäger walked in. “What’s the matter, Greta?” He spotted Ruby. “Another intruder?”

“No, no. This is my daughter…Anna. Since I had no time to look for someone to watch over her, I took her to work,” Helmut explained.

“If you say so. Hold it.” Ruby was afraid of Greta. “Wulfburg? So you’re a Wulfburger?”

“Yes. Eh, a… 'pretzel‘.” Ruby was nervous. Rudi laughed. The soldiers laughed too and so did Ruby for no reason.

“Funny guy. ‘Pretzel’. A good joke.” Jäger waved at her to get closer. “Like those stupid Americans say! ‘Hot dog!’ They’ll see when we take over. You can be proud of your father for his service for the Fatherland.” He patted her right foreleg. “A cute Costume I must say. I hope you enjoy your stay. But now, I need to look after the prisoners. Carry on.” He left, Greta close behind. He didn’t notice Ruby’s glowing eyes.

“Anna?”

“Reckon I had to say something Hans.”

“Who was this man?” Ruby was still a little bit shaken.

“That was Rudi Jäger, Helga’s second in command. I hear he feeds his dogs with prisoners from the castle’s dungeon. But we won’t let end you like this, I promise.” Bernd patted her back.

“Oh, I forgot, I will be needed in the cellar. See you later.” Hans left.

Ruby tried to stand up. “Better Ruby?”

"Much better.”

“What about I show you my home when my shift is over?”

“Good idea.” None of them knew that they were watched by an escaped prisoner.

Author's Note:

That's the second chapter. I think you know who that prisoner is. I see you in the next chapter.

Also the pretzel scene was inspired by the scene in the game