• Published 23rd Sep 2016
  • 1,338 Views, 43 Comments

The Wardens of Order - ScottTrek



Even the Gods themselves have higher powers that they must answer to. And after a thousand years the wardens have returned to Equestria. Power is a dangerous thing. and what they have given they can just as easily take away.

  • ...
4
 43
 1,338

Celestial Grace

Umbra regarded the phalanx of equines before him; two of Day and Night, two of Love and Hope, and Three Eternal Watchers. Seven sisters of blood and magic. “By the Lights of Midnight,” he thought to himself breathing in the moment, “If Celestial Grace and those Stars ever diffuse the animosity between them that’s one hell of a magic circle.”


“Because that worked so well on Midnight didn’t it?” A tiny voice inside him whispered. “And these ones already don’t like you.”


As much as he tried to ignore his bastard inner voice it was worrying, and almost funny. He was used to being hated and feared, but to feel such venom from beings that would otherwise be… ah well… it was like he said to the Princess;


“It’s tough being a god isn’t it.” Umbra said addressing the ponies below, “But tough as it is the fates you have been assigned. And so your actions… all you actions… must be judged as such. The first arm of this meeting must now reach its answer.”


“That question to that answer being I.” Celestia said, “You have talked at great length on this subject so far. As I said before,” She looked back at the other for a moment. "You really don’t like me.”


“I don't like the way you do things. But,” Umbra relented, “It has kept you safe and alive this long. I know a great many races… too many… who can no longer say that. But that's the thing isn't it? They all could say that: until they couldn't.”

“So you believe my method of ruling my people will not last?”

“To your credit I don’t think you thought that yourself. You did create a series of replacements.” Umbra shrugged. “Being a chess master is all well and good until someone kicks over the board.”

“Twilight and Cadence are not replacements!” Celestia snapped. “I…I simply helped them realise their potential.” Yes! Twilight was special, she was powerful.” Celestia’s voice suddenly swelled with pride, “But she wasn't invulnerable. I couldn't stop her having to fight those battles, but I could make sure she had the best possible chance. Ascension gave her that. I won't apologise for granting the worthiest of all of us the greatest honour and safety I could offer her."

"But that's that catch, isn't it? It was never yours to offer in the first place."


"Ascension is the domain of Alicorns."

"Perhaps. Have you asked your sister on her opinion on young Twilight's ascension recently?"

"We discussed it. She agreed it was the best option."

Umbra's smoky hand appeared to rub his chin in thought. "Interesting. That does surprise me. Still, I suppose a rebellion so soon after the last one would be in ill taste."

"That is not funny."

"No, it isn't. But it is important. You have no equal Celestia. Perhaps you did once, but now all your subjects look to you before they think of any of the others." Seeing Celestia about to argue back he held up a withered hand silencing her. "I understand. A thousand years ruling alone must have been hard, almost impossible even. It is only natural you would be revered for such service. I had the same problem on Talos. But the fact remains. None of the others can stand against you. Luna is too raw and guilt ridden, Cadance too untested, and Twilight too blindly trusting and adoring. That alone is dangerous. Combined with your...manipulative tendencies it is unacceptable."

Umbra gestured and a single flower materialised in his hand. It was the same Moon Orchid he had presented earlier. Carefully examining it he continued. “And you know what I think the real problem I have with what you did Ascending Cadence and Twilight? One thousand years later and you still don’t understand. Your own power… you still have no idea. So it’s time to change that. I’m going to tell you the truth. The story of the first Alicorn.”

Almost by reflex Twilight looked from Umbra to Celestia. The expectation showing on her face even before she realised what she was thinking… what she had assumed. Because Celestia, her un-breakable mentor, stood staring with heartbreak in her eyes. Twilight looked round. Celestia was looking to Luna, who stood bowed. The Stars clustered round her as silent as tombstones.

“Ohh this is interesting.” Umbra purred, “I assumed you simply knew nothing…but you suspected something all this time but never asked.”

“Don’t.” Luna whispered.

“I’m sorry Luna.” Umbra murmured before floating the flower he was holding down to the ponies. “Twilight! What do you know about this flower?”

“Uhhh…well…” Twilight stuttered, “It’s a Moon Orchid. They only bloom during a full moon. And...uh… they’re sometimes used at funerals.”

“Yes, they are often symbolised with tragedy. And given present company one might assume this association came from Luna…”

“Please don’t.” A single teardrop fell down Luna face.

“But the truth is hinted at if you know their other name, their first name…”

Umbra floated the flower towards Luna. She looked up from her tears and with a deep breathe uttered a name that she had not had reason to speak aloud in many year. “Selene’s teardrops.”
Everyone stood staring at the crying Alicorn as the room went dark, then light, then soft as it took them back through time and space. To visions of the same crying pony. Bereft of a regal horn, but not wings, a tiny Luna sobbed in her sleep as the nightmares once more closed in.

Author's Note:

i don't know when the next chapter will be ready given uni exams but since my friend Kissfromarose2's "Solar Steward" universe has a lot of shared mythology with mine (we developed them in tandem) the next xhapter is somehat previrews in her Fic Ascension

also look at her shit i love her and her writting