• Published 23rd Sep 2016
  • 1,337 Views, 43 Comments

The Wardens of Order - ScottTrek



Even the Gods themselves have higher powers that they must answer to. And after a thousand years the wardens have returned to Equestria. Power is a dangerous thing. and what they have given they can just as easily take away.

  • ...
4
 43
 1,337

Twilight Sparkles Magical Space Destiny

“So what do you think if proceedings so far?” Umbra asked looking down from above.

“Well, as my ‘notes’ tell me,” Twilight replied coolly, “I firstly must concur with my fellow princesses; you seem unnecessarily brutal in your assessment of us. Secondly, I am well aware that the weakness in your shadow barrier that allowed me to observe your conversations with the others was intentional. As I’m sure you know I’m very good at being tested, even if I do say so myself.”

At some point in…however long they’d been here Twilight’s fear and stress had stopped weighing on her. Oh sure they were still there, but somehow it had all fused into some amalgam background noise leaving her in some meta-zen state.

Besides Umbra didn’t scare her the way Tirek or Chrysalis had. Partly because that strange sense of almost-Deja-vu hadn’t gone away yet. It was like there was a massive missing piece of the puzzle and she was staring at the empty space it left.

“Hmm… was my ruse really so obvious?” Umbra asked as the tiny discrepancy in the barrier Twilight had used phased out. “I’ll have to try harder for the next one. And as for my ‘character’, well what can I say? "I'm not kind. I'm not nice. But I am honest. If you weren't so blind to their flaws you'd see I'm just telling it how it is."

“You’re just telling it how it is? Huh.”

“Something funny?”

“Well,” Twilight replied putting on her best lecture voice, “It is just that in my experience ponies…uh… people who ‘are just telling it how it is’ are using it as an excuse to air every cruel and mean little thought that pops into their head. If you really told it how it was you would spend an equal amount of time saying positive and kind things about those around you.”

“Well said Sparkle. I am many things but I would prefer not to be a hypocrite. In which case I must say that you and your friends have done some truly remarkable work over the past few years.”

“I’m glad you think so.”

“Yes, several near apocalypses averted but at the same time you make the time to get out there and solve…umm, what is it you call them?”

“Friendship problems?”

“Yes those.” Umbra smiled. “It’s good to see you’ve remained remarkably humble particularly considering your magical space destiny.”

“Well just because I’m a princess doesn’t make me better than anypony else….wait…my what?”” Twilight said as Umbra words clicked into place. “Magical space destiny?”

“Heheh.” Umbra laughed as Twilights cheeks flushed deeply. “I mean it is true isn’t it?”

“NO!”

“Oh come on,” Umbra cooed slyly. “Don’t tell me you’ve never thought about how staggeringly unlikely you are.”

“In a cosmic sense everything is unlikely...but…” Twilight replied carefully. Certain thoughts were making their way to the surface of her mind. “I suppose I can see what you mean.”

“Go on.”

“Well…” Twilight bit her lip, what she was about to say almost felt like a betrayal. It wasn’t, but she was loath to say anything that agreed with Umbra after the way he had treated Luna and Cadence. “I had pondered the coincidence that Nightmare Moon was sealed to the moon for 1000 years, and that 1000 years later I figured out not only that she was coming but work out the way to defeat her and get Luna back, all perfectly timed to the day of her return.”

“Do you not thank somepony else could have done that?”

“Well of course some pony could have tracked down the evidence…but would they have met 5 other ponies who almost perfectly embody the elements of harmony and THEN befriend them enough to follow a possible mad-pony on a dangerous mission into the Everfree to basically fight a god?”

Umbra went to say something but Twilight cut him off, sinking to the floor hooves gradually moving up her face. “Not to mention the fact me and my friends were already unknowingly connected years before though out simultaneous and interconnected gaining of our cutie marks.”

“Well…”

“And our cutie marks were the same shape as the Elements.” Twilight groaned.

“Heh… and your cutie marks are very prominently plastered across the Tree of Harmony. And that’s been there since the First Great Chaos War, and that was millions of years ago.”

“The Tree was created in the Chaos War?” Twilight asked, curiosity briefly cutting through the existential dread.

Umbra let out another of his rattling breaths. "Yes, and no. It's rather a long story. One I don't have the time to get into now." Twilight's shoulders visibly sank. "I wouldn't worry young Sparkle, I have the feeling before we finish here you'll know far more about the Chaos War than even I do."

“Ok…” Twilight sighed, “So…I have a ... ugh …. Magical Space Destiny?”

“I guess it really depends on how much stock you put in the idea of destiny.”

Twilight looked up. She had caught the bitter note in Umbra’s voice, and how his eyes had flicked away from her as he has said the word.

“You don’t like the concept much?” She asked softly, something inside tugging at her to ask.

“Destiny is a frigid bitch,” Umbra spat, “Who doesn’t care how many innocent bystanders are trampled in her wake.”


“Um…bra……”

“hmm?”

“Umbra…….”

“Who is this? How did you get this frequency?”

“Give them to me Umbra…..they must suffer…. ….they are a betrayal …..Of her ….”

*thwap*

“Sorry about that Umbra, Danio snuck in ahead of me.”

“Ahh of course…what do you want Faceless? I said I wasn’t to be disturbed, holding simultaneous conversations are tricky in this dimension.”

“How far are you through your task?”

“Look, Judgment takes time and this especially requires ALL of my concentration. I won’t rush this. So would you kindly…”

“The King under the Mountain is on his way there.”

“….Are you joking?”

"When have you known me to joke?"