• Published 23rd Sep 2016
  • 1,337 Views, 43 Comments

The Wardens of Order - ScottTrek



Even the Gods themselves have higher powers that they must answer to. And after a thousand years the wardens have returned to Equestria. Power is a dangerous thing. and what they have given they can just as easily take away.

  • ...
4
 43
 1,337

White Lies and Dark Orders

Twilight looked carefully up at her would be judge. If his minor outburst hadn’t been enough he had immediately glanced to the side, distracted by something only he could see. He had mumbled something in his real voice too fast and low for Twilight to catch but she was fairly sure she had heard him curse at something.

After a few moment his silhouette seemed to shrug and turn back to Twilight. “My apologies Princess. That was quite unprofessional.”

“Problem?”

“My commander had some minor adjustments to my orders.” Twilight noted annoyance in Umbra’s voice. “Interdimensional communication is never easy… neither is my commander.”

“Should…I be worried?”

“No more than you were before.”

Twilight sighed and Umbra chuckled. She couldn’t tell whether he was purposely trying to aggravate them or not. From what she had seen Umbra’s personality seemed to flip on a dime between sympathetic, threatening, annoying and grandiose. Sometimes every few seconds. He was weirdly like Discord in that way… or Pinkie Pie for that matter. Sometimes she had the odd sensation that her pink friend was reading from a cosmic script that only she had access too. It made her wonder about the ‘orders’ Umbra was under.

“Can we continue?” Twilight asked.

“Of course. Where were we?”

“You had just made your thoughts on destiny abundantly clear.”

“Oh yes.”

Twilight watched as the memory screen once again was pulled into existence. It flickered on and ran through a brief number of random scenes from Twilights life. As the slideshow progressed the scenes seemed to focus in on some certain encounters with a certain white Alicorn.

“Is this the part where you start bashing my mentor?”

“Excuse me?”

“Don’t act innocent. Someone might think you have it in for her.”

“Huh… well I wouldn’t say that.”

“Your conversations with Luna and Cadence seemed to steer that way very quickly. You even told Luna straight to her face you wanted to focus on more ‘individual failing’ then went straight back on your word a few minutes later.”

“It’s not my fault the Sunbearers presence is so…well…omnipresent.”

“I’m sure.” Twilight huffed. “And this correlates to what we were previously discussing?”

“Well here’s the thing about the large amount of coincidences that feed ‘magical space destiny’, is it really destiny or is by design?”

“Are you saying my magical space destiny is all part of Celestia’s design?” Twilight said raising a sceptical eyebrow.

“Yes.”

Twilight’s brow went higher.

“Well no, obviously not entirely.” Umbra admitted, chuckling to himself again, like he knew something she didn’t. Which Twilight supposed he very much did as it happened.

“Are all the Wardens this insufferable?” Twilight wondered as Umbra continued.

“It more comes down to a case of following orders.”

“Following orders is a bad thing?” Twilight said, with obviously mock shock. At this point Twilight was willing to play along with this weird game for the sake of expediency. “I hardly though you’d advocate anarchy against the authorities! And there I was thinking loyalty was one of the elements of harmony?”

“See this one gets it.” Umbra said, seemingly to no one on particular before continuing. “Of course loyalty to your leader is admirable. But the amount of control Celestia has over you is frankly worrying.”

“Examples?” Twilight said looking expectantly back up at the memory screen. Umbra did not disappoint.

So off the top of my head how about recently when that Chaos wannbe Tirek tried to steal all the magic of your land.”

“What about it?”

“You actually went along with that insane plan to put all four instances of Alicorn power into your body? It’s a testament to your willpower you didn’t go supernova on the spot. Would have been a sweet irony if your attempt to save Equestria had ended up vaporising the planet. The chain reaction probably would have killed off the nearest dozen stars given the magic contained in your world”

“We had to do something. What would have you done?”

“Well,” Umbra said ponderously, as the memory screen displayed complex quantum mechanics. “Given that you wielding four Alicorns was roughly equal to Tirek wielding all of Equestria’s magic plus Discords, I would have ponied the heck up and rode out to kick his ass while he was still weak.”

“And risk him getting our power earlier? I think I like Celestias plan better.”

“I’m sure the handful of survivors would have thanked you for Celestia’s cowardice after Tirek had finished reducing your land to a blasted heath.”

Twilight flinched but stayed strong. Umbra was picking at details from an omniscient perspective, even he should understand in the heat of the moment no-pony could make the absolute pragmatic or logical decision.

“Well you’re not wrong about that I suppose.” Umbra said, apparently reading Twilights mind. A fact that caused Twilight to let out a slight whinny of discomfort. “Even I can’t judge someone that harshly, especially when the fate of your home is at stake. Like I said to before, not a hypocrite.”

“Right…erm... so what point are you aiming for here then?”

“It’s all the orders that Celestia had been planning for years that worry me. And especially the way she implements them. To take it back the beginning, she was the one who ordered you to go to Ponyville, yes?”

“Yes, to go make friends, which if you hadn’t was what saved the day, and a lot of days since.”

“In the big picture yes. But at the time you didn’t know there was a grand plan in place did you?” Umbra grinned. “In fact Celestia told you to forget all about it.”

“Is that the point?” Twilight replied, “Who’s to say things would have turned out okay if she hadn’t…um… well if she had told me right away I probably would have ruined everything trying to make friends.” Twilight didn’t know how but she got the impression Umbra had raised an eyebrow. “If you hadn’t noticed my social skill have always been quite...er… patchy. It’s nothing I’m ashamed of.”

“Of course not.” Umbra agreed, “But yes this is kind of what I’m going for here. By your own admission she straight up lied to your face in order to manipulate you into doing the job. It didn’t even matter that you had figured out what was coming on your own. All your natural talent and years of studies that she wanted from you disregarded for…what reason exactly? She didn’t even trust her self-made saviour to be in on the plan?”

Twilight took a step back. Umbra wasn’t playing around anymore as the same predatory look she has glimpsed him direct at Cadence and Luna crept into lines of his eyes.

“It’s not even the most egregious example.” Umbra continued, "How about when the Crystal Empire reappeared? And Celestia told you that you any only you could help your brother and sister-in-law? Which is the exact opposite of what needed to happen.”

“Same as before. I’m afraid, she told me what she had to.” Twilight countered, “I’m sure she didn’t like having to do it.”

“I’m sure.” Umbra’s eyes narrowed slightly, he knew exactly Twilight was about to say next, and it irked him.

“Besides as you’ve already posited; if I do have some great pre-ordained destiny then Celestia needed to get me ready for it. She said afterwards that it was me ignoring her order and putting The Crystal Empire before my own safety was part of her test to see if I was ready to become a Princess.”

“Well firstly I don’t think sending a lone mortal to go fight something like Sombra. Your previous experince with Nightmare Moon and Discord is one thing, they are dangerous but they weren’t activity trying to kill anyone.”

“Well…”

“And secondly,” Umbra cut across Twilight, “I’m glad you mentioned that little event first. The magnificent asscention that all those adventures were leading up to. Quite an honour to be asked to take on that epic responsibility.” Umbra’s voice turned to ice. “Oh, wait…”

Twilight shivered under Damocles’ sword. It was only when she saw the ice crystals forming on her mane tips that she realised the temperature in the room was actually physically dropping.

“Cut that out!”

Umbra grunted and the room quickly returned to normal.

“No not … well yes that as well…but just stop trying to turn us against her.” Twilight huffed, sudden pride swelling in her chest. “See all these arguments that you’re trying to worm into my head hinge entirely on one principle, which shows just how effective your ‘research on us’ really is.”

“Ok then… what AM I missing then.”

“You seem to be under the assumption that there is any tangible chance you could convince me, or Luna, or Cadnece that Celestia has ever for a second acted in a way that wasn’t for the good of the ponies of Equestria and the ones she cares for.” Twilight was basically shouting at this point. Wings pumping she flew up above Umbra. “And if that involves her acting in a way you find ‘questionable’ then I’m very sorry but I accept what she has to do, the hard choices she must make every day to keep us all safe.”

“You’re really ok with all that?” Umbra asked calmly, all his own previous anger melted away.

“Yes I am.”

“Your loyalty is impressive though it does beg the question: what wouldn’t Twilight Sparkle do if Celestia asked her? Where’s the limit?” Twilight fluttered back down to the floor. Her mood slightly diffusing as her mind began pondering the question. It would have easy to keep shouting at Umbra but that was seemingly what he wanted. “Not sure? There are a few possibilities I’d like to run past you. All of on the providence that there is some adequately serious reason behind it.”

“Ok then. Go on.”

Well to start you off easy; let’s say Celestia asked you to steal something. Something important obviously, maybe important cultural artefact or symbol of another race like the Yaks or Griffons that had some magical power she wanted.”

“Well that’s easy, I stealing, while bad, could be justified.”

“Ok let’s kick it up notch. Would you follow her orders if it you both knew it would lead to your death…”

“Yes.”

He said nothing but Umbra did grunt approvingly. “Alright what about the flipside. Would you kill for her? Someone like Tirek, or Sombra, or Queen Chrysalis?”

Twilight paused to think for a moment. “Well… I ……. If …..urgh…. beings like Sombra and Tirek represent a threat to entire civilisations. And if I had to choose between them and a thousand … or even one innocent person … I could live with that.”

“Alright, but what about Chrysalis in that example?”

“She… uhh…”

“A little too relatable isn’t she? Fighting to ‘save’ her people.”

Twilight looked at her hooves as uncomfortable prickles spread though her gut. “I really wouldn’t want to…”

“That’s not what I asked.” Umbra pressed as Twilight made a long groaning sigh-like sound as she buried her face in one of her wings. “And please be honest. I can tell.” Umbra finished, waiting expectedly.

Twilight eyes looked grudgingly up over her wing. “I…I could…if she made me…”

“Is that Chrysalis making you or Celestia making you?”

“Are you done yet?” Twilight groaned, “I think your point is well made.”

“Not quite.” Umbra replied, his eyes moving in closer to Twilight through the shadows. “We haven’t asked the big question yet: If Celestia ordered you, would you kill someone you knew? Someone you cared out?” Twilight froze. “I mean like really, really cared about? Anyone like that ring a bell?”

“I…uhh…I don’t know…. what you’re…”

“I’m a near omnipotent reality bender with access to a team of Oracles who can scan your worlds entire timeline. I know exactly what you were doing this morning. Or more precisely whom.” Twilight felt her cheeks flush a deep maroon as she got the distinct impression that Umbra was wiggling his eyebrows at her. “Really, the rainbow haired one? Not that I’m disapproving or anything it’s just my money was the fiery haired one.”

“Well I…..wait…..what? Money?”

“Oh yeah, while the Oracles were reviewing the ‘episodes’ of you and your friends lives they set up a betting pool on whom might get together with whom. I thought you had good chemistry with Shimmer but what the hell do I know right?”

“A betting pool?” Twilight flabbergasted, train of thought on the previously grim subject matter having come to a screeching halt.

"Yes. There's a betting pool. They actually got the idea after they found out thee was already one within your world. Several if you count those outside your immediate friendship circle. Frankly I assumed you knew. Your dear mentor is running at least two of them."

“I….I am going to pretend I didn’t hear that.” Twilight said shaking her head at the conversations dive into the absurd. “Though now I think about it… judging from my last few letters from Sunset she might have something developing between her and Sci-Twi. Does that count?”

“Wardens try not to involve themselves in anything that could be construed as alternate timelines. If we go down that rabbit hole and start encountering alternate versions of ourselves it’ll only end in disaster.”

“I can imagine.” Twilight replied, “Sci-Twi did nearly destroy both worlds and that was just scientific curiosity pushed a step too far.”

“Quite.” Umbra sighed wistfully staring into space for a moment before clearing his throat and turning back to Twilight. “Well as interesting as that all is I’m not letting you avoid the question.”

“Horseapples.”

“Nice try.” Umbra sniggered. “But the question still stands: Could you kill her?”

“…”

“Could you kill one of other four?”

“…”

“If Celestia told you too?”

“I…don’t know.”

“Don’t stall, I need…”

“No I mean I really don’t know. That’s my final answer.”

“Huh…interesting.”

“How could I ever make such a decision until it was sitting on my doorstep? How could I… could anyone plan for something like that…it’s…”

“A good answer. Probably the best. Let us both hope such a day never comes. Now we are done here, be pleased Sparkle your toment is over for now.” Umbra said pulling back and nodding contentedly but pausing as he did so as something flickered in his eyes. “Though with that last part, I suppose it did already happen once.”

“Huh?”

“Killing your friend, I mean….” Umbra suddenly paused, and his glinting toothy grin came though the shadows. “Oh…Oh ho ho. You don’t remember?”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight said slightly appalled. “I’ve never…!”

“Once I’m finished ‘picking on Celestia’ as you ponies seem to think I am we’ll get back to some issues more centric to each of you. For real this time.” Umbra’s grin flashed again. “Let’s see if your memory is jogged between now and then.”

“If you insist.”

Umbra indistinct form melted back into the shadows. Twilight let out a long breathe she hadn’t known she had been holding, which was quickly sucked back in as Umbra eyes popped back into existence.

“Sorry one last thing.” He said, “You…you’re not afraid of me like the other two are. Why?”

“Even Nightmare Moon did more than try and talk me to death.” Twilight replied, “Today? This is just Tuesday.”

“HA!”