• Published 21st Sep 2016
  • 2,119 Views, 90 Comments

No Place Like Nowhere - CoffeeBean



Princess Cadance and her daughter Flurry Heart wake up... somewhere.

  • ...
7
 90
 2,119

Nº 2: NITZCHE

"I'm surprised it's just drizzling. Those clouds were almost black; where's all the rain?" Inquired Flurry over the gusting thrashes of the leaves above as she peered through the clearing's break in the canopy, her face being lightly peppered by rain drops.

"Dunno, but I'm glad it's not here yet!"

Cadance stepped from beside her daughter, beginning off towards their stream, a beam from her horn showing the way through the black, storming woods. Flurry, her horn too casting light, trotted back to her mother's side, the two turning to walk downstream upon finding their landmark body of water. Awoken by the cold of the night and the many thunderclaps after a short slumber it was elected that they continue moving instead of attempting to sleep more; the more time spent on the move was less time spent within the forest. Normally simple movement had been enough to keep the pair's body temperatures up, but harsh winds and the extraordinarily frigid air brought by the storm combined to be horribly uncomfortable without fire or clothing. Flurry's head turned skywards as the patter of rain on the topmost layer of the canopy suddenly increased in volume, the sound almost overwhelmingly loud.

"That answers your question, Sweetie! There's the rain!" Cadance shouted.

"I wonder how much will actually make it down here to us! The canopy is as thick as the trunks are tall!"

"Oh, don't worry, Honey; I'm sure plenty will make it down here!"

From the base of the canopy, almost as if the leaves were their own form of cloud, gently poured the sheet of rain. With such terrible winds and horrid temperatures, one would be used to the next step being a stinging, whipping rain, but such was the exact opposite; the chilling water fell with a gentle patter, though in great quantity. The sensation was similar to standing under a shower nozzle; if not for being frozen to their cores, the pair would have agreed the feeling was quite soothing.

"I-I k-kind of like the way this sucks..." Flurry commented, her jaw chattering.

"You're t-too much like your f-father."

The beam cast from Flurry's horn bobbed through the forest as she flicked her head, her completely soaked mane throwing a visible spray as it moved from her face. Suddenly, Cadance's hoof came to her chest to pause her movements, her eyes and light focused at the topmost portion of a tree's trunk.

"When you f-flicked your hair... your horn highlighted something; I j-just saw a pair of eyes, right there." Her mother spoke over the rumble of the rain, Flurry's light searching the area around where Cadance's was focused.

"I d-didn't see anything... you're s-sure it was a pair of eyes?" Flurry responded cautiously.

"I'm sure. T-They were bright yellow... and big."

From behind the trunk of where their attention focused a little flutter of movement was seen, the hard flap of bat-like wings overpowering the crashing rain. Flurry darted from her mother's side, strafing to the right as she cast her light past the trunk's concealment, her eyes just barely catching an airborne figure bank out of sight behind a further tree; its shape seemed almost pony-like.

"I just saw it! It f-flew that way; past the trees!" Called Flurry as Cadance trotted over, casting her horn in the same direction.

"D-Did you see what it was?"

"No... but I'm not the only one t-that heard bat-wings when it flew, am I?"

"I heard that, t-too. Maybe it was one of t-those bats I saw earlier..."

"It wasn't; I caught a t-tiny glimpse of it as it p-passed behind one of the trees up there, it was large, about t-the size of a pony, I'd guess."

Cadance paced a little forward, looking through the trees as raindrops glittered and danced through her bright light, "We're certainly not alone..."

"Y-Yeah, we figured that out when w-we almost got eaten by tree monsters..." Flurry commented jokingly as she resumed marching forward, the now saturated, grassy ground giving a splash as her hooves impacted.

"T-Thank Celestia we haven't seen another one of t-those in a while!"

Cadance watched as Flurry tapped her hoof twice on a nearby tree trunk, looking over her shoulder at her mother, "Don't jinx it."

"You're right, I s-shouldn't have said that." Smiled Cadance as the two continued on.

The forest strobed pure white for a split second as a bolt of lightning cracked overhead, the thunderous boom ringing the pair's ears.

"This storm is getting a little out of hoof!" Shouted Flurry, her forward progression being somewhat slowed by the strong headwinds.

"You don't say?"

A second crack broke the air; though it held less rumble than the standard thunderclaps, and it seemed to have come from behind them off in the distance instead of from above.

"That was odd!" Cadance shouted as the two paused, looking over their shoulders in the direction the sound had come from.

"Sounded more like an explosion than lightning!"

The duo stood for a moment, their ears waiting for any follow-up noises to occur. The rain's beat and the leave's thrashing made things difficult to pick up, but Flurry was positive her ears had just heard the distinctive crack and pop of high-power spells being cast.

"That sounded a lot like magic." The young Alicorn said more to herself than to her mother as she turned back from which the duo had come.

"Where are you going!? We don't kn-"

Cadance's call fell short as the distinctive screeching scream of one of the tree creatures sounded, the call being followed by several rapid, angered shrieks. Flurry's hooves brought the pace to a steady gallop, Cadance shouting as she darted to try and reform with her hasteful daughter.

"Flurry!! Why are you going over there!?" She called, following the weaving path Flurry took through the maze of trunks.

"It's Dad! He's in trouble!!" Returned Flurry.

"You don't know that!! Flurry...!"

"Who else would be in this forest casting powerful magic?!"

More screeching calls rang from what sounded to be multiple creatures, the sounds instantly being followed by 3 rapid bursts of magic. Cadance pushed her legs to their limit as she failed to keep a pace with Flurry, her gallop now a full sprint towards the battle occurring in the forest beyond. Up ahead Cadance watched as Flurry's hooves dug into the soaked ground, her head turning skywards as her wings unfurled. As the mother finally approached she could see that their previously discovered clearing had been reached, Flurry turning to see Cadance approach.

"You are not going to fly in this kind of weather! There's no way it's even possible!!"

"It's possible for Dad!"

Cadance could only look on as Flurry's wings beat hard to launch her straight up, the Alicorn going in the vertical as fast as her body would allow. The rain went from a soft patter to a stinging pelt as the canopy was bypassed, her eyes squinting as her horn shined brighter to try and see through the sheets of pouring rain, the sheer amount falling bringing visibility to almost zero. Flurry pushed her way against the winds, her wings flapping fast and hard to keep her heading towards the cacophony of magic and screeches bursting through the canopy. An incredibly loud, crackling boom erupted through the trees, a flash of magenta light bursting through the canopy, Flurry looking on in shock as a significant chunk of the canopy a short distance ahead began shifting to the side. The intense cracking of branches sounded as one of the forest's trees fell, an opening appearing before Flurry as the tree came to the ground with a crash. With haste she pushed through the air, a creature's nearby shrill only giving cause for her to fly faster. Through the trees near where the opening had occurred bolted three pure pink beams of magic, their power cracking the air as they passed clean through the canopy, a pained cry coming from one of the creatures after assumedly being struck by the spell. Finally above the opening, Flurry's wings tucked to her side as she went into a pure dive, only opening her wings at the last moment to bring her to the forest floor.

"Dad!!"

No answer was heard through the rain and wind, Flurry casting her horn's light as she frantically searched what portion of the forest she could see. She began off through the trees in a random direction, her light searching high and low for anything.

"Dad!"

Finally, another voice rang out to her left, Flurry quickly changing her path to where she heard the male voice call from.

"Dad!? Where are you?!"

"Flurry!?!" Returned the voice, seeming to be a lot closer than before.

Flurry's steps froze as a white figure ran from behind one of the many trunks, the light of her horn highlighting the Stallion's blue mane as he looked to her with pure shock.

"D-Dad! You're here! I found you!!" Flurry cried as she broke into a gallop, her father doing the same as they met with a strong hug.

"Flurry, honey! I'm so happy you're okay! Where's your mother!? Or Twily... is she here?" Shining asked frantically, breaking the embrace, his hooves still placed at Flurry's shoulders.

"Twilight's not here, but Mom is!" Returned Flurry, her joyous tears being lost in the rain.

The two shared a look for a moment, Shining squeezing his daughter back into his chest, her breaths shuttering as she cried.

"Come on, Sweetheart; we need to get back to Mom. I scared off those three panther things, but I'm sure more are going to be here soon." Shining spoke as he and Flurry let go of each other.

"Wait... panther things!? You've seen them?" Exclaimed Flurry.

"Yeah, a lot more than I would have liked to. They're like huge Panthers; pure black, huge paws, really long puffy tails and the worst pair of fangs you could imagine."

Flurry looked around, the light from her horn being recast as she tried to figure out what direction she had come from.

"I think Mom is that way... but I'm not really sure! Stay here, I'm gonna fly above the canopy and try to see the other clearing!" Shouted Flurry as her wings spread fully, the flap of her feathers filling the air as she rose from the forest floor.

Her wing's joints gave a faint ache of fatigue as she finally surfaced from the thick canopy layer, her eyes darting around as she searched for the gap. A bolt of lightning split the nearby sky with a wonderfully bright flash, the split second of contrast perfectly highlighting a formation of three airborne pony-like figures; whoever they were, they were heading right for her. Flurry's eyes widened, her breath catching in her chest upon seeing the figures; through the rain, she could hear a series of three high-pitched squeaks, the sounds being very close to a bat's call. Just as she made the move to dive for the canopy, her eyes caught a glimpse of the formation as they finally came close enough to be somewhat seen through the sheets of rain. A shout came from one of the figures in the formation as she dived out of sight, wings deploying only seconds before she hit the forest floor with a splash.

"Run! We've got company!" Flurry shouted, bolting in the direction she hoped had been where she originated from.

"What do you mean!? Who's coming?!"

"No clue! I saw three of them through the rain, and they're coming right for us!"

As the pair sprinted through the dense trees, a male voice called out, Flurry unable to tell if the pursuing creatures were simply speaking another language or if his speech was simply unintelligible through the cacophony created by the storm.

"You're sure this is the way Mom is!?" Shining shouted, following close behind Flurry as her horn lit the way through the maze of trees.

"I think so! All I've got to do is find our stream, then we're good!"

Another shout sounded through the trees, the call's seemingly close distance causing Flurry to quickly peek over her shoulder, aiming the light from her horn through the trees. Her attention snapped back forward to avoid colliding with anything, her horn's glow showing that the stream, which now ran at twice its normal depth, lay directly ahead, their angle of approach being almost parallel with the body of water.

"Dad, hide in the stream!!" Flurry shouted, banking as she rapidly turned towards the stream.

Shining complied, flipping himself around as he splashed into the two-foot deep water, the forest beyond going completely dark as Flurry's cast glow was silenced, the duo holding their heads low to make their profiles as small as possible, ice-cold water washing against their already frigid figures. The moment their movements fell silent the flap of large bat-like wings moved past the two, the creature emitting the same squeaking chirp Flurry had heard previously. Their ears listened intently as the flap seemed to halt; the figure clearly hovering in the air a short distance from the two. A strobe of blinding white lightning highlighted the pony-like figure for a mere second, Flurry having just enough time to see that the dark gray creature's wings were indeed like a bat's, its deep orange eyes seeming to look right at them. Her breath caught in her chest, the seconds slowly ticking by as the creature's wings continued to hold a steady hover.

"Jestem mily!" Shouted the bat-like pony, the impact of its hooves on the ground being heard as the flap of its wings ceased.

"Do you think that thing is friendly?" Flurry spoke, her head craning towards her Father so her voice could be kept low.

"If it wanted to hurt us, it would have."

With much hesitation, Flurry's horn came to life, a wide cone of light being cast as the previously unseen creature came to light, the gray bat-pony's slit pupil eyes peering directly at the duo. Something Flurry had not noticed previously was the creature's completely soaked clothing and the weapon slung to his side; he wore a midnight blue coat with four large pockets down his chest, and at his haunches sat a black saddlebag, the dual-pouched item having a special strapping system to keep it firmly fixed during any sort of maneuver. His oddly shaped weapon seemed to be a combination of a spear and a staff; at the weapon's front was a fairly long blade, but the length of the weapon was a combination of wood and steel, the steel portion being inlay with the wood.

"Do you speak Equestrian?!" Shining called, his figure straightening from his previous slouch.

"Nitzcheska?" Returned the bat-pony, two large fangs hanging from his top row of teeth catching Flurry's eye.

"Hello...! I'm... uh, I'm Flurry Heart!" Flurry spoke, tapping her chest with a hoof.

The bat-pony's head cocked, the previous slightly shocked expression he held turning to one of curiosity, "F...Flurry Heart?" He inquired.

Her hoof tapped at her chest once more, "Flurry Heart!" The same hoof moved over to her father, who's figure was highlighted by her horn, "Shining Armor!"

Upon having the young Alicorn's light moved back to his own figure, the bat-pony nodded, tapping his own chest with his mud-caked hoof, "Mennika."

Flurry and Shining shared a quick look as they stood from their watery hiding place, stepping up onto the stream's edge. The bat-pony's head suddenly rotated to look behind him, his large, fluff-tipped ears focusing on a short, very high-pitched screech, one Flurry and Shining assumed to be from the other two that had accompanied Mennika, as he had called himself. The creature's maw fell open, his head angling skywards as he made a similar sound, the piercingly loud screech causing Flurry and Shining to wince.

"Oh my goodness, I completely forgot I was supposed to be finding Mom! Stay here with these weird bat-pony guys, I'll be right back! She's nearby!"

"Uh-ah... Flurry, wait!" Shining shouted in return as his daughter darted from his side, the forest before her lighting up as she followed the body of water downstream.

Only a little more running brought Flurry to the clearing, her eyes scanning the area as she tried to spot her mother, who would most likely be hiding somewhere.

"Mom! Where are you!?"

"Right here, Sweetie! Did you find Shining!? Please tell me you found him!" Cadance's voice returned as she quickly stood from behind one of the stumps in the area, trotting towards Flurry.

"I did! I found Dad... and some other ponies! They're upstream, come on!"

"Oh, thank Celestia! Wait... what!? You found other ponies!?" Exclaimed Cadance as she ran at Flurry's side.

"They aren't exactly ponies... you'll see when we get there!"

Cadance held her silence, her mind wandering as she tried to imagine exactly what Flurry meant. Up ahead through the dense forest and sheets of rain Cadance's eyes caught a glimpse of a white figure, his features highlighted by the radial glow being produced by his horn. Cadance's heart rose in her chest, a bright grin coming to her expression as she and Flurry rounded the last few trees, Shining turning to see Cadance galloping right at him.

"Cadance!!"

"Shining! You're okay!!"

The two collided with a loving hug, Cadance instantly taking her husband's lips in a long kiss. With a smooch, the two separated, simply gazing at each other for a moment.

"I can't believe you're here! I... I was sure I'd never see you again!!" Cried Cadance as she buried her face into Shining's neck, the Stallion embracing her tightly.

"I can say the same, Honey. You have no idea how happy I am to see the two of you!"

Flurry, who had been standing off to the side, looked up from her parents to the now three bat-ponies, the identically dressed and armed trio of comrades simply looking on at the reunion. Flurry's hoof aimed in her parent's direction, her magic being used to create a pink, translucent heart, the action causing the trio to nod. Finally, the pair's embrace was broken, Cadance turning to see the three creatures looking on at her and Shining.

"So... you ended up finding... these?" Asked Cadance, she and Shining bringing themselves to their hooves.

"Technically they found us." Commented Shining.

The sounds of heavy rain took over the conversation as words went quiet, the two trios sharing a perplexed look as each party tried figuring out what the next step would be.

"This isn't how I thought the night would turn out." Cadance Commented.

"They don't speak Equestrian... so how do we tell them that we need shelter?" Flurry added.

Cadance's hoof tapped her chin, her sight falling to the ground as she thought.

"Iris," Mennika spoke, his hoof tapping the creature to his left, his drenched, aqua blue mane falling to the side of his face, "Speck," The same hoof motioned towards his rightmost comrade, the much shorter, white-maned bat-pony giving a little smile to the trio, "Nitzche", his hoof tapped to his own chest and to the creatures at his sides.

"Pony," Cadance returned, simply moving a hoof side to side.

The trio of bat-ponies gave the Alicorn a surprised expression as they took a step closer, their large eyes investigating her and Flurry's figure.

"Poniska..." Iris stated, turning to his comrades as he informed them of something in their native tongue.

Cadance looked on curiously as the middle bat-pony traced a half circle in the grass with a hoof, stamping the symbol upon creating it as he exclaimed "Lunaz Gritza!".

A faint, pure white aurora of magic encompassed the button at one of his coat pockets as a wonderfully ornate, steel blue compass was brought forth and floated to Cadance, who had taken note that, despite his lack of horn, could manipulate magic. Mennika stepped forward, tapping his hoof to the S of the compass, which pointed behind them.

"Nazomova." He spoke, his own magic ceasing as Cadance took the compass for herself, the glass face of the ornate object spotted by drops of rain.

"House? We need shelter." Returned Cadance, her magic being used to create a simple, flat image of a house.

"Jes, Jes, 'house'! Wiele domóv!" Mennika explained, his hooves stretching outwards, Cadance somewhat understanding his motions meant 'lots of houses'.

"You think he's pointing us towards a town?" Shining asked, looking at the compass.

"Town?" Inquired Cadance to the creature before her, a spell creating a small group of many houses.

"'Town', miasto." Nodded Mennika.

"I think that's a yes."

Once more, the bat-pony's hoof came up and tapped at the S, speaking a few words in his language as he pointed behind the trio, signifying to follow the compass. Cadance gave a nod in response, looking to her chest as the genial creature traced a crescent in her soaking fur with his hoof, doing the same as he had done in with the grass and gently pressed his muddy hoof to the center of the symbol, leaving a dirty spot on her chest.

"Lunaz Gritza, Poniska."

The confused trio watched as Mennika stepped back with his two comrades, their large membranous wings spreading as they took flight, the creature by the name of Iris hovering before them for a moment as he aimed his hoof in the same direction Mennika had, "Nazomova!", He called, turning and exiting the view of the trio as he followed his group back through the winding maze of trees.

"Looks like we found our 'friendly group'," Flurry spoke after a moment.





The constant heavy pour of rain had slowed to a drizzle, every other drop making it through the leaves above. Huddled around a now roaring fire sat the trio of cold, misplaced Equestrians, their collective gaze resting upon the dancing flames and embers as they rose into the forest.

"Lunaz Gritza..." Flurry commented quietly, her words causing her parents, who she sat between, to divert their attention to the young Alicorn.

"Trying to figure out what they were telling us?" Cadance inquired.

"Yeah... Lunaz Gritza. He said it after giving you that compass, and he said it after the other bat-guy spoke... is it some kind of blessing?"

"That was my guess, especially since he made that little symbol both times." Injected Shining.

Upon mention of her gifted compass, Cadance brought the tool from under her furled wing with a spell, gazing at its needle as it eventually pointed in between the N and the W.

"The one named Mennika, I'm pretty sure he told us to follow the compass south... but he kept saying 'Nazomova'. Is that what south means in their language, or is it something else?"

"Maybe it's the name of their town?" Flurry suggested with a shrug.

"Better question is, do we follow their directions and go where they want us to?" Shining asked, his eyes still gazing into the warming fire.

"We don't have much of a choice. We need shelter, from the rain and from the tree panthers."

Shining gave a somewhat joking scoff at Cadance's mention of the creatures, "With all three of us in one place, we could easily hold off 10 of the things! I alone scared off three of 'em." He gloated, cocky about his success.

"Yeah, but we can't fend off freezing rain and hypothermia. That, and I need to get a piece of paper and a pen so we can contact Twilight or Celestia and figure out why in the world we're in this horrible forest."

"I hope Twily's okay... if you're right, and you did bring us into this forest to run from something, then whatever's going on at home can't be good." Returned Shining.

"Twilight can hold her own... I'm sure she's looking for us right now."

The crackle of the fire took over as the dominant sound as each Pony fell silent, Flurry's aurora coming to life as her spells brought another log to the fire, a small pile of spares being left over from the excessive amount of fallen branches the trio had magically cut down to a reasonable size. Flurry let out a long yawn as her back curved in a stretch, the still damp wings furled at her back giving a little flutter.

"Tired?" Shining asked with a little smile, feeling quite worn out himself.

"Oh yeah..." Flurry's front legs slid along the grass in front of her as she continued stretching, "Running around trying to rally the two of you was pretty exhausting."

"This entire night has been exhausting. I'm ready to get some sleep, as well. We've been awake for far too long," Cadance commented as she looked at the no longer drizzling canopy above, "At least it's not raining anymore."

Cadance turned as her daughter stood from her position between herself and Shining, "You two can do whatever for the rest of the night, but I'm going to sleep."

"Cadance, if you're tired too then go find a place to lie down. I'll stay up and keep the fire going." Explained Shining.

"You're not going to bed, dear?"

"Somepony's gotta stay up and keep watch."

Cadance smiled to her partner, scooting across the short gap Flurry had left as she nuzzled herself against Shining. After a short kiss, the Alicorn moved from her sitting position to lay down at Shining's side, her back resting against him. A short grunt of pain was let out as her injured left wing unfurled slowly to drape across her curled up legs.

"How's that wing doing? Earlier you said it was still hurting pretty badly." Shining asked, his hoof gently petting the feathered limb.

"Better than when I first woke up," Cadance's mouth opened wide as she let out a loud yawn, "I'm sure within the next few days I'll be able to fly again."

With her eyes closed, the warmth of the fire and the comfort of Shining's presence calmed her normally wandering mind, a little smile working its way onto her expression.

"I love you, dear." She spoke quietly.

"Love you, too, Cadance."





Cadance and Shining looked on in anticipation as Flurry made her descent from the opening in the trees above, her hooves gently pressing into the still damp grass as she touched down. Celestia's midday sun poured in through the opening, something the group had been relishing in for the past few minutes since the clearing's discovery, which was identical in its method of creation to the previous clearing discovered hours ago.

"Well, did you see anything?" Inquired Shining intently.

"Nothing, not a single house or building. The only thing in that direction is a huge, very impassable mountain range. Whatever place that compass is supposed to take us, it's either on the other side of that mountain or it's concealed under the canopy."

Cadance, who's eyes rested upon the ornate compass within her magic, hummed in thought, "What's the plan if we can't find this supposed town? Those three bat-ponies seemed fairly eager for us to follow their directions." She elaborated, electing to use their colloquial term 'bat-pony' in place of the group's self-given name.

"Bat-pony... that's still such a jarring thing to say." Shining added.

Flurry Heart, who had brought a leaf from the canopy above with a spell while the other members of her party were occupied, gave a short laugh, "I had some pretty crazy theories on what we'd find in this forest, but never did I think hybrid bat-ponies would be it." She commented, taking a large gnaw from the moist leaf core upon shearing it free from its large pedal.

Cadance began off in the direction the compass aimed, Shining following at her side while Flurry, still hungrily consuming her leafen meal, headed the pack; as she had already been up front, "I had no clue there were ponies outside of Equestria. Is it possible that they're some kind of lost fourth tribe?"

"It's very possible. They look exactly like Princess Luna's Guard... minus the fangs."

Cadance gasped in remembrance, "You're right! I completely forgot about the Night Guards! I wonder if Princess Luna has some sort of connection with them..."

"When we get there, we'll have to ask them." Flurry called over her shoulder, the young Alicorn's words slurring as she chewed.

"They may have already told us. 'Lunaz Gritza'. Can you think of a word that sounds similar to 'Lunaz'?" Cadance inquired.

"Is it 'Celestia'?" Returned Flurry, smiling over her shoulder.

Cadance groaned.