• Published 2nd Sep 2016
  • 5,596 Views, 242 Comments

Equestrian Psycho - BlakeCorman



What happens when a person with multiple personality disorder gets sent to Equestria and suddenly has the power to morph into his favorite villain from his favorite TV show? I'll tell you one thing, it gets pretty crazy.

  • ...
27
 242
 5,596

Chapter 12- Trial By Fire

Chapter 12-

Trial By Fire

Chris input a few more codes into the configuration system before closing the access panel. He stood up and took a look at his finished project. To the untrained eye, it appeared to be nothing more than an MMA fighting cage, but if someone looked closely, they would see small shifts occur here or there. He looked on at his masterpiece, and let in and out a slow contented sigh. “I am definitely going to get that Sirian the biggestbirthday present,” Chris said with a smile.

After returning from his mission, he’d been told that he’d been gone for two days and had kicked his workload into overdrive, after spending some time with Sweetie and Heavy Ladle, of course. He’d gone to work refurbishing the new section of the castle that had been set aside for Ranger Operations, the new training facility especially. However, he’d hit a wall, literally. After a wall had come crumbling down, he’d called for a little advice.

Cruger had been extremely helpful when Chris had given him a call and had gone far beyond anything he had asked. Cruger had sent over some new equipment including some very fancy microbots that had made remodeling far easier than Chris could have imagined. Then he’d been hit by a lightning bolt. He’d taken the tech from the gravity weights and modified it into a gravity generator and built up an arena around it. Of course he’d been dumb enough to switch the dumb thing on while standing on it and almost been crushed, along with most of the cage. He’d morphed and got out of the field to switch it off. Needless to say, the repair rate of the Architectural Microbots had come in handy.

Now if we could just stop getting flung into the wall by that treadmill,Sam stated.

Chris let out a huff of laughter. “Yeah, that’s getting kind of annoying,” he agreed. The sound of hydraulics drew his attention to the door to the room as Shining Armor walked in.

Shining let out a whistle as he walked up to Chris. “Quite the impressive set up you’ve made here,” the stallion said. “But you know the first trial is going to be starting soon, right?”

Chris started and activated his morpher to check the time. His eyes widened in shock when it read eight thirty. Yellow Static lit up his body and he began to race around. “I’mlateShininggottagobye!” A rush of wind whipped past the unicorn and he turned just in time to see a blur rush out the door.

He gave a little chuckle. “So much for his team keeping up with him.”


A number of recruits sat in a college style classroom, waiting for… something. Then there was a commotion outside the room, the sound of heated voices, and the door finally opened. They all looked to the door to find Starlight Glimmer and Chris walking into the room.

“Sorry, I’m late, folks,” Chris said as he made his way up to a desk and podium. “I was getting a few things ready for your final test,” He explained as he stopped in front of the podium and looked out at the recruits in the room. “As you all know, one of the traits I listed out for a good Ranger is their intellect. A ranger must be able to think on their feet and solve problems that, if not solved, could be very dangerous.” He swept his gaze across the room. “Half of you will not make it past this stage of the trials,” he stated firmly. “As such you must answer all questions to the best of your ability. Archmage Starlight will by overseeing the rest of the test. Good luck to all of you.”

Chris moved out of the way so Starlight could take the podium. “As Captain Scott said, this test is designed to push the limits of your mind,” she began as a stack of papers was enveloped in a light blue aura, levitated off the desk, and distributed to each recruit. “There are one hundred questions and scenarios. You will have four hours to complete the test. After four hours, your test will be taken and scored, regardless of whether or not it is complete. Time starts now. Good luck.”

With that, the recruitment for Ranger Ops. began.


A pink pegasus with a blue mane stared down at her test, chewing on her pencil in concentration. “An assassin is hiding in a tree ten feet from the team’s current location,” the mare muttered in a low voice. “He shoots an arrow at one hundred and fifty feet per second at a thirty-six degree angle down. How much time do you have to react, and how?”

The mare stared down at the question for several moments before slumping her head down onto the desk with a moan. “How is anyone supposed to know this?”

A gravelly ‘shh,’ came from her left and she turned her head to see a Diamond Dog. “Be quiet,” he hissed lowly, “Rover is trying to think.” The Dog turned back to his test as the mare’s eye gave a twitch.


Four hours later, an alarm went off and all the pencils in the room disappeared in a blink of magic. “Alright, everypony,” Starlight called. “Line up and hand in your tests. They will be evaluated and if you pass, you will be called to the interrogation room. Please be ready to be called down. A final announcement will be made to let you all know when no more recruits will be called. Thank you, and try to relax in the meantime.”

There were several groans around the room as the draftees got up and walked to the front of the room to hand in their tests. Many of them stretched their limbs as they gave their test to either Chris or Starlight. As they filed out, Chris started flipping through the tests. “We have a spell for grading these right?” He asked, looking at Starlight with a raised eyebrow. Starlight simply rolled her eyes with an amused smile.


A few hours later, the pink pegasus was walking through the cafeteria with a tray full of food. She spotted a group of her friends and made her way over to them. “Hey, girls,” she said as she set her tray down, receiving a round of greetings in return. She made to sit down when the intercom went off.

“Attention, all Ranger recruits. The tests of the first trial have been evaluated and you will now be called one by one for your second test. Firefly, please report to interrogations. Firefly, please report to interrogations.”

Firefly turned her head to stare up at a speaker, half in her seat and half out. She let out a sigh. “Could the timing be any worse?” She asked rhetorically before looking up at a pegasus mare with a celeste coat and green mane. “Medley, do you mind packing this up for me and taking it back to our fridge?”

“Of course not, Fly,” she assured her roommate.

“Thanks, Medley,” the pink mare said. “See you girls later.” She turned and started making her way towards her next challenge.


Chris let out a sigh as a Unicorn walked out of the interrogation room. “How many more we got, Shining?” He asked as he slumped back in his chair.

Shining gave a chuckle. “Just one more, Chris,” he replied, taking the final applicant sheet from the top. He looked down at it and his smile disappeared. “You’re not going to like this one.”

“Why?” Chris asked, his eyebrows furrowing as he took the page Shining handed him. He looked at the name and frowned as well. It read Garion Stelwyng. “We might as well not even conduct this interview,” Chris said in a low voice as he set the page down between them.

“Have a little faith,” Shining replied. “Nopony chooses their father. Maybe he’ll surprise us.”

He already surprised us once,Sam growled within Chris’ mind. Chris’ frown deepened but before he could respond to his brother the door opened. Garion stepped through the door as Chris and Shining stood up.

“Garion Stelwyng?” Shining asked in practice. “I’m Captain Armor and this is Captain Scott, we will be conducting you’re interview. Captain Scott will explain further.”

The dark griffon turned to Chris as he started speaking. “This interview is to judge your strength of character. Rangers are known for their moral compasses, and it is a quality I would like to see continued in my team. We ask that you answer every question truthfully and completely. Do you understand what we are asking of you?”

“I understand… sir,” Garion spoke the last word with barely concealed malice.

Little punk, Sam growled. Chris kept a straight face as they all sat down, but he’d be lying if he said the griffon wasn’t grating on his patience. He threw a look to Shining who took the cue and started the interview.

“Alright, Garion,” he began, “what exactly led you to want to pursue a position as a Ranger?”

“Rangers are supposed to be the best,” the griffon replied. “And the operation’s going to need someone with some skill.”

“I see,” Shining said, struggling to keep a frown off his face. “So, what do you think of the Rangers’ mission?”

Here Garion gave a huff of laughter. “Taking the fight to Mondo? Garbage. The plan would only work to get the team killed.”

“Then we go back to our first question,” Chris finally spoke up. “Why are you here if you don’t agree with the mission?”

Garion turned his head to put a hard stare on him. “I’m the best,” he stated. “I’m here to make sure the Rangers work for the Resistance, not get us all killed. I can make sure that doesn’t happen."

Chris sat back in his seat and Shining took the reins again. “So, you care about the wellbeing of everypony in the Resistance.”

Garion gave a snort. “Sure, as long as we take back Griffonstone when this is over.”

Shining didn’t say anything, but matched Chris’ posture by sitting back. “Thank you, Garion, for your honesty.” Shining and Chris stood and Garion followed. “Captain Scott and I will think over what you’ve told us and you’ll be notified with the rest of those moving on to the final trial before nightfall. You are dismissed.”

Garion gave a nod before turning and exiting the room. When the door closed, both Captains let out heated breaths. “You see what he’s trying to do, right?” Chris asked, turning to the stallion and leaning one hand against the table.

“It’s a power play,” Shining answered simply. “Ranger Ops. is something Guntram can have absolutely no power over, unless he has somepony on the inside.”

“And who better than his own son?” Chris finished.

“Too bad Garion isn’t much of a politic,” Shining said, picking up a stack of papers and knocking them on the table. “We saw through him and can stop his approach.”

“No.”

Shining turned his head to Chris quickly, a question on his face. “What do you mean ‘no’?”

“Guntram’s smart,” Chris started. “This is a two pronged attack. If we refuse Garion, he can turn this around as some kind of grudge holding. But Guntram has forgotten about the final test.”

“The test of strength,” Shining said. “So, you’re going to let him through?”

“Yes,” Chris said matter of factly. “And he’ll get the same treatment as everyone else.”


Firefly opened the door to her and Medley’s room and walked through the door. Medley looked up from her reading chair in the corner. “Oh, hey Fly,” she greeted happily as she put a bookmark in her book before setting it down on the table beside the chair. “How did your interview go?”

Firefly let out a groan as she made her way to the bed before flopping into it. “It was terrible, Medley,” she muttered. “That test earlier had my head on the fritz, and all the questions they asked were really… different.”

“How so?” Medley asked, sitting forward a little so as not to miss anything.

“They were just so…,” Firefly trailed off, moving her hand in a circular motion as she tried to come up with the right word. “I don’t know, unexpected? Like they were trying to analyze everything about me through everything I said.”

“That is what an interview is for,” Medley pointed out.

“I know,” the pink pegasus replied. “This was just so much more… well, more.”

“You’re just nervous about the results,” her friend assured her. “As soon as the results are announced you’ll be fine.”

As if on cue, the small speaker in the corner of their room sounded out. “Attention all Ranger Operations recruits,” Captain Scott’s voice rang out, “your interviews have been thought over and the forty draftees moving on to tomorrow's final test have been chosen. In alphabetical order they are; Applejack, Straight Arrow, Pearl Aurora, Sweetie Belle, Urza Bloodknuckle, Thunder Bolt, Ice Breeze, River Breeze, Onyx Bristle, Lila Charm, Lucky Clovertail, Ivory Fire, Firefly,” the pink and blue pegasus gulped, “Crimson Flash, Gaia Forresttail, Eleta Ghostwing, Toonbur Gloryhunter, Amber Glow, Apollo Greentalon, Horris Irontail, Loolo Jaggedhorns, Shogun Jewelpaw, Scarlet Light, Silver Mane, Starry Night, Hemera Phantombeak, Wild Road, Thunder Rock, Asteria Roseclaw, Honey Song, Comet Star, Adlar Starclaw, Cobalt Steel, Garion Stelwyng, Roxanne Stonepaw, Dynamo Thundermane, Jaron Thunderroar, Spud Truehoof, Dew Twirl, and Ruby Wings. Congratulations to all of you. Tomorrow’s test will be a series of tournament style fights against your fellow recruits. Five of you will make it into the ring with me. How you conduct yourselves throughout your fights will be taken into account as well, so simply winning a fight is not enough to make it onto the team. That goes for making it to the final round as well. The trial will begin at exactly twelve o’clock. Be there and be ready. Good luck to you all.”

The signal cut out and the two mares slowly turned to one another, each with different expressions. “You did it!” Medley screamed in excitement as she jumped forward and wrapped Firefly in a crushing hug.

Firefly’s face was one of horror. “What have I gotten myself into?”


Chris sat at his desk, looking through each of the profiles for the eightieth time. Seems we’ve got some admirable picks, Sam stated as Chris looked over the profile of a pink mare.

“Yeah, but I’m worried about some of them,” Chris replied out loud, as there was no chance of anyone hearing him through the office door. “This mare for instance. She did great on the test and nailed the interview, but she’s got some pretty rough competition.”

Don’t write her off so soon, Sam told him. She may surprise us.

“Yeah,” Sam replied quietly. He put the pages away and picked up another. He frowned when he saw Garion’s picture. “Of all the fighters to make it to the finals, I hope he’s one of them.”

You want to knock him down a peg, don’t you? Sam asked with a grin in his voice.

“Him and his father,” Chris agreed. He put the papers aside just as there was a knock on his door. “Come in,” he called.

Sunset opened the door and entered the room. “It’s almost time, Chris,” she told him. He looked at the clock on his desk and saw that it read eleven fifty-seven.

“On my way,” he said, standing to his feet and collecting the profiles. Sunset gave a nod and exited the room. Chris finished getting the papers together and slipped them into a portfolio. He tucked the case under his arm and exited the room, grabbing his jacket on the way out.

He closed the door and let go off the brief case, letting it float in a vortex of wind magic as he put his jacket on and input a code to “lock” the door to his office. He grabbed the case out of the air and made his way around the ring. When he came around it, he found Sunset Shimmer, Shining Armor, Starlight Glimmer, Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, and Lyra standing behind a wooden podium. The recruits stood on the other side of the podium, waiting patiently. Chris approached the stand and put the case down on it.

“Good afternoon, everyone,” Chris began just as his morpher turned to twelve. “I’m glad to see that you could all make it. As you all know-” Before he could continue, the door to the training room burst open and Firefly ran in, wearing a gray track jacket with the sleeves rolled up, a dark pink tank top visible underneath, a pair of black athletic shorts and black tennis shoes. The pegasus stopped as every eye in the room turned to her. “Ah, welcome, Miss Firefly,” Chris said. “Right on time for you to join us.” Firefly seemed to shrink down and merged with the crowd.

“Now that we’re all here,” Chris began again. “You all know that this is going to be a tournament style test. You will each fight at least one round, and the winners will move on to the next round. Five of you will make it to the final round and face off against me. Remember, just because you make it to the final round does not mean you make it onto the team. All of your actions will be taken into account, not just your fighting skills. All the in-field operation Captains are here to evaluate you, and Lyra will be our acting referee. With that said, let’s begin.” Chris turned from the draftees and opened the face on his morpher. He tapped the display a few times and a holographic tournament map appeared over the octagon. “First fight, Applejack versus Straight Arrow. Please enter the ring and prepare yourselves.”

Applejack and a green stallion with a blonde mane walked forward and into the cage, Lyra following after them. The combatants each took an opposite corner of the ring and turned to face each other. Lyra stepped into the middle of the ring. “Alright you, two, and everypony else,” Lyra threw a look out to the recruits outside the ring. “I’m only going to say this once, so listen and listen good. I want nice, clean fights. Keep everything above the belt and protect yourselves at all times. Come to the center, shake hands, and go back to your corners.” AJ and Straight Arrow did as they were told and returned to their respective positions. Lyra looked to AJ. “Are you ready?” Applejack nodded. Lyra turned to look at Straight Arrow. “Are you ready?” The stallion nodded his head as well. Lyra nodded back and raised her hand in the air. “Both fighters ready. Fight!” She dropped her hand and jumped backward just as both ponies lunged at one another. The Ranger Tournament had begun.


Midnight Sparkle waited beside a pedestal holding dark crystal, waiting impatiently. Finally, a red shimmer ran across the crystal and black fog began to seep out of it. A dark cloud formed above the jewel, before a pair of green and red eyes peered from the darkness, purple mist flowing from them. “What do you want, witch?” Sombra’s voice boomed.

“I need a focusing gem,” Midnight replied bluntly.

Sombra gave a snort. “And you can’t make one of your own?” He growled out.

“My skill in generating large crystals is not as fine tuned as your own,” Midnight said rolling her eyes. “Only you can create a gem that is both large and precise enough for my needs.”

Sombra was silent for a moment. “This will cost you,” he stated lowly.

“It always does,” Midnight said, impatience in her voice. “Do we have an agreement or not?” She asked, holding her hand up, the palm facing upward.

Sombra was silent again. “Yes,” he hissed out as black fog shifted forward and engulfed the alicorn’s hand. The dark cloud built up slowly, swirling around ominously. It slowly began to fade away leaving behind a perfectly formed toxic green crystal about the size of her fist.

Midnight’s face lit up in a disturbing grin. “Perfect,” she purred before she began to turn away.

“Do not forget our deal, Sparkle,” Sombra called after her. “Because I will not.”

There was a hissing sound and Midnight turned to see the black cloud flow back into the crystal it had been summoned from. Midnight stared for a moment. “No, you will not,” she finally said, her voice barely above a whisper. She turned and threw open a curtain, unveiling the rest of her lab. She walked through the maze of tables containing various glassware and foreign contraptions. She continued walking until she came to a white sheet. She looked it up and down and a wicked grin slid into life across her face. “But by the time you call on it, there’ll be no need for you in the Empire.” She pulled away the sheet with a quick tug of her magic revealing the beginnings of large robot.

Midnight’s grin widened as she held the focusing gem up and moved it towards the machine. A panel in the back of the automaton glowed in Midnight’s teal aura and opened up. She pressed the crystal into the chamber and the circuitry began to glow the same green. “And with your contribution,” she pulled her hand away from the crystal, a misty duplicate splitting from the main gem, “I’m one step closer to making you obsolete.” She turned with the copy in her hand and walked over to another table as the main body of the robot powered up.

On the table sat a box shaped chamber. She lifted the crystal and placed it in the box, and glass panels closed around it. The equipment lit up around the gadget, and white energy began to flow from the case into small tubes and finally into several chambers. The energy dripped into the molds like a liquid and slowly, new crystals began to form within them. As the gems solidified, they took on the same poisonous green glow that cast a wicked light on the room. Midnight’s eyes gleamed with teal light and her features twisted into a twisted and evil smile.


Chris and the other judges looked on as Garion and Jaron Thunderroar battled it out for the final spot. Still want him to make it to that final round? Sam asked as the Griffon slammed a few punches into the Minotaur’s torso.

Chris rubbed his chin in thought as the large bovine slammed into the cage wall. Yeah, Chris finally replied as Lyra ran over to Jaron and began counting down. Yeah, I do.

Lyra stood up and motioned toward Garion. “Winner by knockout, Garion Stelwyng!” Garion raised his chin in response and exited the ring. Lyra cast a rejuvenation spell on the knocked out Minotaur, and his eyes fluttered open. Chris and Shining climbed into the ring to help the massive fighter to his feet. Everyone exited the cage and Jaron took a seat on a nearby bench while Shining and Lyra lined up with the other judges and Chris once again took his place at the podium.

“With the conclusion of this round,” Chris began, facing the fighters who had both won and lost. “We have our five finalists; Applejack, Sweetie Belle, Firefly, Cobalt Steel, and Garion Stelwyng. You will all continue on to the final round. The fight will consist of a single five minute round, and I will be judging your abilities directly. Your results will be handed out as soon as the fight ends. And please,” here he looked towards Cobalt, “no holding back. Without further ado, Applejack, would you please join me in the arena.”

The farmpony, dressed in a black shirt with white sleeves, denim skirt and vest, the skirt held up by a black belt with a small gold buckle and her cutie mark sewed into the lower right, black leggings and boots finishing her look, nodded in response and followed Chris as he made his way to the entrance of the arena. They stepped in and took up opposite corners. Chris turned to face AJ as Lyra started to enter the ring. “Hey, Lyra,” Chris said, catching the unicorn’s attention. “Maybe you should teleport out of the ring when we get started.

“If that’s what you think, Chris,” her face turned a little more serious. “Are you ready?” He gave a nod. She turned to Applejack. “Are you ready?” The blonde pony also gave a nod. “Alright,” Lyra looked forward and raised her hand. “Both fighters ready.” Chris threw a grin towards Applejack, which she returned and raised her fists. “Fight!” Lyra shouted. She blinked out of existence and both fighters rushed forward.

AJ struck out first with a right haymaker as they met in the middle. Chris dodged his head down and to the right, feeling a rush of air go past him. He launched an uppercut with his right fist. Applejack reacted quickly and caught the attack with her left hand. A gleam went through her green eyes as she jumped into the air, using Chris’ fist to lift herself up. She raised her left leg up and around before swinging it down in an axe kick. Chris’ eyes widened in surprise and was barely able to bring up his left hand to catch her heel. He pushed her away, and she twisted through the air and landed perfectly on her feet.

“Jeez, AJ,” Chris commented, as he rushed forward, his left fist reared back “I didn’t know you were pulling punches earlier.”

“Ah didn’t want ta disappoint,” Applejack replied with a smirk, as she prepared for the oncoming strike. Chris made to throw his fist forward before launching his leg forward in a kick. AJ’s eyes widened in surprise at the faint, but managed to bring her right arm up to block the attack. She jabbed with her left and Chris jumped back to avoid the punch. Applejack dashed forward and pressed her advantage, throwing punches in quick succession. Chris did his best to block and dodge the farm pony's onslaught but finally ran out of room as his back hit the opposite side of the cage.

Chris’ eyes widened as Applejack’s fist sailed towards his face. Chris buzzed out of existence and the earth pony’s fist slammed into the cage, sending out a shockwave. AJ tuned quickly to see the human buzz back into being in the middle of the ring, facing her.

“Heh,” AJ breathed. “Guess Ah shouldn’t expect ya ta hold back either.”

“We can’t afford to hold back on the battlefield,” Chris responded, dropping down into a fighting stance as light orange Static began to play around his body.

Applejack gave a short laugh. “Ah guess not.” Suddenly, the air around the pony began to shimmer and grow heavy. She lunged forward, rushing forward as the air was forced out of her way. Chris readied himself, and when the mare reached him, he threw his fist out for a right hook. Applejack planted herself right in front of him and dodged the hook, throwing her right fist forward. Chris moved his head out of the way and threw out his left fist as he retracted his right. Their arms and fists became blurs to the onlookers as each tried to find purchase.

Finally, their fists met, AJ’s right and Chris’ left, and a shock wave radiated out. Both fighters paused, sweat rolling down their faces as they panted for air. Their eyes suddenly hardened and they leaped backward, each now standing in the opposite corner they started in.

“You know, AJ,” Chris began as he still tried to regain his breath. “I never asked what made you want to try for the Ranger Ops.. You had every opportunity to join Spec. or Field Ops., but you chose to stay in the agriculture department. Why now?”

Applejack took a few more heavy breaths before closing and opening her eyes slowly. “This war is changin’,” she began. “Ah took this as an opportunity ta see where Ah stood, if Ah still wanted ta sit on the sidelines or join somethin’ bigger.”

“Have you made up your mind?” Chris asked as his breath finally leveled out and his body tensed up.

The Earth pony took a few more breaths before she too tensed up. “Yes.” Both fighters lunged forward, their fists reared back. They met in the middle and swung their arms forward, the wind whistling off their knuckles. AJ’s fist collided with Chris’ jaw, and his fist met her midriff. And the buzzer sounded. Both combatants stood unmoving for a moment. Slowly, they moved away from one another, uncurling their fists as they did. Chris stepped back and a smile lit up his features.

“Applejack,” he began, “welcome to Ranger-”

“Ah decline.”

Chris stopped and his eyes widened in shock before his features relaxed and a soft smile touched his lips. “Fair enough. Mind if I ask why?”

“When this whole thing started,” AJ began, “Big Mac was put into Special Operations because he was the Element of Honesty. Me an’ Bloom worried about ‘im constantly, but Bloom was far worse than Ah was. She pushed herself in everything she did, but it wasn’t enough for her. She learned medicine from Zecora, and never stopped until she was head of the Med. team, and still she worries. Ah don’t need to give her another reason ta worry, but I had ta make sure Ah could protect her if Ah needed ta.”

Chris stood silently for a moment, not saying anything as his hand met his chin. Finally, his face cracked into a grin. “Well,” he began, moving his arms down and putting his hands in his pockets. “You certainly proved yourself today.” He took a step forward and removed his right hand from his pocket to hold it out to her. “If you ever change your mind, give me shout.”

Applejack let a smile light up her features. “Ah’ll keep that in mind,” she replied, reaching out and grasping his hand in a firm handshake. They released one another and made their way out of the ring. Chris walked back to the microphone while the Earth pony made her way to sit on a bench.

“Alright next in the ring, Firefly,” the pink pegasus tensed up, “but first, a ten minute break.” Firefly let out a relieved breath as Chris walked away from the stand.

He walked over to a refrigerator that seemed slightly out of place among the workout equipment until he opened it to reveal that it held nothing but water bottles. He took out three bottles and closed the door before turning around. “If anyone needs a drink, feel free,” he called before moving behind the ring and out of sight.

Firefly stood still, trying to stay out of the way of the other competitors. Eventually though, her curiosity got the better of her and she snuck around the arena. She stopped just before turning the final corner and peeked around it. Her eyes widened at what she saw.

Chris sat in meditation as seven globes of water floated in front of him. Static began to play around his body, and lanced into each of the orbs. The spheres began to glow with different colors; red, blue, green, yellow, black, gray, and white. As she watched in amazement, a single tendril of water began to trail from each orb. The tendrils made their way slowly towards the center, making the whole formation look like a spiral. Before the tendrils connected, they made a swift turn and collided with one another, forming a circle. As time went on and the orbs continued to rotate in front of Chris, the circle began to crackle with energy and a glowing symbol began to form within it. Just as the glow reached its apex, the water holding the magic began to crackle with Static and Chris grimaced as if he were straining against something. The symbol in the middle flooded out and filled the circle that contained it before a shockwave burst outwards, knocking Chris backward and out of his meditation.

“Verdammt,” Chris said out loud as he recovered from the concussive blast. Suddenly, a buzzer went off. Firefly jerked and her eyes widened. She turned and darted towards the front of the ring but ran into a solid mass. She would have fallen backward had somepony not caught her. She looked up at the one that had helped her, and her eyes widened. It was the dark Earth pony, Cobalt Steel.

“Are you unharmed, my lady,” he seemed to ask.

“W-what?” She asked in shock.

“I said, could you stop staring at me?” He said again. “It’s creepy.”

“O-oh,” she said, a blush lighting up her face. Cobalt, wearing his usual attire, helped her get her balance back.

“You should probably get going,” he told her as she finally got back to her feet. “You’re up next after all.”

“Y-yeah, right,” she stuttered as she hurried passed lowering her face so he wouldn’t see the red that was starting to show through her fur. She made it to the front of the arena and blended into the crowd just as Chris came around the other corner.

“It seems it’s time for the second match,” Chris said into the microphone. “Firefly, if you would please join me in the ring.” The mare swallowed nervously and followed Chris as he made his way into the octagon. They took their positions on each side of the arena. Lyra teleported in just as Chris began to turn towards them.

Lyra looked towards Firefly. “Are you ready?” The pink pegasus gave a nervous nod. The unicorn turned her head to Chris. “Are you ready?” Chris gave a smile and nodded as well. Lyra gave a nod and faced forward, lifting her hand. “Both fighters ready. Fight!” She dropped her hand and teleported out of the ring.

Chris made to lunge forward, only to stop when Firefly disappeared. “What the?” he asked, blinking in surprise. He suddenly felt something slam into his left arm and side. It was enough to unbalance him, but little else. Though he did rush to his right and make a sharp turn to face the direction of the assault. Firefly’s eyes shot open and she quickly darted out of view again. Chris jumped back and put his back as close to the cage as possible. How’s she doing that? Chris asked internally.

I don’t- MOVE! Sam yelled.

Chris rolled to his right just as the pink mare reappeared in front of where he was standing and slammed a number punches into the cage wall. The resounding shockwaves rocked the arena. Chris’ eyes widened in shock. Where was she hiding that!?! Chris asked wildly.

Just don’t get caught by any of those, Sam warned. Chris nodded and lunged forward, his arm cocked backward. Firefly took notice and jumped away. He was forced to stop and looked around quickly, searching for the pink mare. He then felt a force slam into his back. He toppled forward, but felt a dozen or so more attacks slam into him. The punches finally stopped raining down on him and he quickly dashed away and turned to face his opponent. Firefly stood in a front stance, her right fist forward and her left at her waist, her knuckles smoking as she tried to catch her breath.

That’s not smoke, Sam informed. Chris took a closer look.

That’s vapor, Chris said in realization. Are you telling me-

She’s using her using her weather magic to make herself faster, Sam confirmed.

Chris thought for a moment before a slight grin appeared on his face. Then let’s give her something more of a challenge. Green Static danced around his body and suddenly flung himself into the air, a vortex of wind supporting him. Firefly jerked her gaze upward in surprise and quickly followed, her wings powering her through the air.

As soon as Firefly gained enough altitude, Chris rushed forward and threw a left jab. Rather than dodge the attack, Firefly diverted the attack with her arm before kicking out with her left leg. Chris dropped several feet to allow the limb to sail over his head. He then rushed upward, throwing his right fist up in a powerful uppercut. Firefly’s eyes widened in surprise, and she threw her head and body backward. Chris rushed passed her and flipped around until he was facing her from above. As Firefly recovered from her sudden maneuver, Chris began to press Firefly back towards the ring. Firefly dodged or diverted Chris’ punches, but she couldn’t help but be pushed down towards the ground. Eventually, she felt her feet touch back down on the arena floor. Chris smirked at her from above and phased out of existence.

Firefly quickly threw her focus to the area in front of her and saw Chris rushing forward, right fist reared back. Firefly rushed her own right jab, but Chris leaned his head out of the way. Her eyes widened as his fist drew nearer. But the blow never came. The punch flew passed her head, and a shock wave followed it, almost disturbing her balance with its force. She stared doe-eyed in shock until the bell rang moments later.

Chris straightened up, a smile on his face. “Miss Firefly,” he said gently, bringing her back to her senses. “You’ve done extraordinarily well during this test and the others. I would say that you’ve passed without a doubt.” He stretched his hand towards her. “Welcome to Ranger Ops..”

Firefly looked between Chris’ smiling face and his outstretched hand. Finally, her shoulders relaxed and a smile touched her face. She reached out her hand and they shook. “Thank you,” she said in relief.

Chris let out a small chuckle. “The pleasure is mine. Welcome to the family.” They released one another and exited the ring. Chris once again took the mic. “The next match will be in ten minutes. Sweetie Belle, that’s you.”

The off-white unicorn, dressed in her mage outfit which looked like a blue greek dress with black accents, loose sleeves and the hood pulled down with lace sandals that came up just below her knee, nodded and walked away from the group. She stopped a short distance away and waved her hand over a charm on her left wrist. In a flash of light, her staff appeared in front of her. She caught the staff in her telekinesis before settling on the floor. She folded her legs underneath her and closed her eyes in meditation.

A small half smile played on Chris’ face as he watched her before going back to the fridge, grabbing three more water bottles and disappearing behind the arena once more.

Firefly watched each of them and began to wonder how this fight would go.

“This should be interesting.”

Firefly jumped at the sudden voice and turned quickly to find Cobalt standing behind her. “Are you going to make a habit of that,” she asked in frightened irritation.

The tall pony gave a small amused grin. “I’ll try not to,” he said with mischievous look in his eye before he looked back towards the cage. “What are your thoughts on the next match?” He asked.

Firefly was silent for a moment as she looked towards Sweetie Belle then to where Chris had disappeared behind the ring. “I don’t know,” Firefly finally answered. “But I hope the ring has some sort of barrier around it.”

“It does look like it’s going to be a battle of magic,” Cobalt agreed. “I haven’t gotten to see much of either of their magic, so I’m sure whatever happens we’ll at least get a good show.” The timer above the octagon counted to zero and the buzzer went off. There was a bright green flash and a blur of Yellow Static as both combatants appeared in the ring, both ready for the fight.

Chris and Sweetie stared hard at one another as Lyra walked into the ring and took her position. She turned to Chris without hesitation. “Are you ready?” Chris nodded and she looked towards Sweetie. “Are you ready?” The unicorn nodded and her staff transformed back into a charm and attached itself to her bracelet. Lyra faced forward and raised her hand. “Both fighters ready. Fight!” She teleported out and the match began.

Sweetie’s green aura glowed around her hands and horn before she launched a blast of energy out of her right hand. Chris dodged to the side and activated his Red Static. Red danced around his body and he moved his right arm over to his other shoulder before sweeping it back, launching three balls of fire at Sweetie. The unicorn didn’t even flinch as she swept her hand in front of her, creating a green wall of magic that absorbed the attack. She twisted her hand around so that the energy from the wall built up in her hand and threw the energy at Chris. He crossed his arms in front of him, metal washing over them before the attack slammed into him, splitting into three separate blasts that curved around him. Chris lowered his arms to reveal his face, a huge grin on his face.

“Just like old times,” Chris said as he took up a back stance, the grin still on his face.

“If that’s what you call them,” Sweetie answered, a small smile reaching her lips too as she stepped into her own back stance. The two stared one another for a moment before a signal that only they could sense. Yellow Static rushed into Chris’ left hand and Green rushed to his right, Sweetie’s own green aura rushed into her hands and she unleashed a spiral of energy at Chris, the twin beams twisting around each other. Chris by bringing his hands back and together, merging the Static together until a ball of lavender energy flared and he launched it forward to meet with the oncoming spell.

The two energies collided and generated a swirling ball of differing colors began to build up between the two beams. Neither combatant gave an inch, pouring as much power into this single attack as they could. A whirlwind picked and started to cause havoc around the room. Most of those present began to back away from the arena, in fear of what would come next. Firefly Put an arm in front of her eyes, both to get a better look at what was happening and to protect her head if it came to that. Eventually though, the wind became to much and she was forced to close her eyes. Suddenly, the wind wasn’t as powerful and she looked up to see Cobalt Steel in front of her, his back partially blocking most of the force.

“Come on,” he said loudly so he could be heard. “We need to get to the back of the room where it’s safer.” Firefly only nodded before turning and making her towards where everypony else had gathered. Once she and the stallion joined them, the unicorns and Chrysalis began to form a shield of magic that quickly nullified the winds.

Inside the ring, sweat began to form on Chris’ brow. Come on, bro, Sam grunted as he combined his focus with Chris’. We can’t keep this up!

Just a little longer, Chris insisted, unaware that Sweetie was also reaching the end of her rope. Chris brought his arms back, closer to his chest and shoved them forward, sending one last burst through his wave of energy. The build-up in the center started to inch towards Sweetie Belle, who took notice and pushed her own energy through, ceasing the orb’s movement, but it was enough. The ball of energy began to brighten until it was pure white before detonating outward. The shock wave made the entire room quake, and the magic users felt an enormous pressure on their shield as the force passed over them.

Chris and Sweetie stood panting in the ring, sweat dripping from both of them. Neither of them moved for a long moment until Chris got a strange look in his eye. He took in a final breath and stood to his full height and began to stalk towards Sweetie. He came to a stop in front of her and she only looked up into his eyes. As he stared down at her he lifted his hand and stretched it towards her slowly just to stop and poke her lightly on the shoulder. He let a smile spread over his face. “Tag,” he said, “you’re it.”

Sweetie gave a short laugh. “Shut up,” she said smiling. The buzzer sounded and Sweetie stood to her full height. “Come on,” she told him. “You’ve still got two more fights.”

“Don’t remind me,” Chris replied with a grin as they made their way out of the cage. Chris approached the stand once more to announce the next match. “Alright,” he breathed slowly as the rest of the rooms occupants returned to their previous positions. “After the break, Cobalt Steel you’re-” A rumbling growl interrupted him. Everyone in the room looked around in surprise, searching for the source of the noise.

Firefly swept her head around the room the same as everypony else until a thought struck her. She slowly raised her gaze up to look at Cobalt’s face. He stood stoically and without expression, as if nothing had happened. Realizing what had happened, Firefly covered her mouth and gave a quiet laugh. Cobalt looked down at her with a raised eyebrow, still refusing to admit to the stomach growl.

“Well,” Chris continued after giving up on locating the culprit. “I guess that’s the signal for a bit of a longer break.” He looked down at his Morpher’s display and read the time. “And no wonder,” he said out loud before putting the device away and looking up. “Cobalt, Garion, I hope you two don’t mind waiting because I think some of us would appreciate a little dinner before we continue. We’ll resume the test in an hour. Dismissed.”

Several very relieved parties left the room quickly without a second thought, among them a tall, dark blue pony among them.


Chris made his way through the line, tray in hand. He slid into place in front of Heavy Ladle. “Hey, Miss Heavy Ladle,” he said to the mare as he handed her his tray.

“Miss Hea-” she began automatically before stopping and looking up at Chris’ smiling face. She held his gaze for a moment before letting a small smile light up her face. “Afternoon, Chris. How are the trials going?” She asked as she portioned put his meal.

“Slow,” he admitted. “But they’re really exciting. I’m seeing skills and magic I’ve never even imagined.”

Heavy Ladle gave a quiet laugh. “No shortage of capable individuals then?” She questioned as she handed him his food.

“Definitely not,” Chris answered as he took the tray. “I better be careful or I might be out of a job.”

The mare gave another short laugh. “I doubt that,” she replied.

Chris grinned. “Yeah, me too,” he said as he began to turn away. “See you later, Miss Ladle.”

“I’ll see you later, Chr-” She stopped as she took the tray from the next in line and threw a look at Chris’ back as he walked away, trying not to smile as she did so.


Chris and Cobalt stood on each side of the arena, waiting for Lyra to start the match. “I guess we finally get to figure it out, huh?” Chris asked his opponent, his ever present grin on his face.

Cobalt nodded. “I guess we will,” he answered, his face stoic.

Chris’ smile wavered for a moment. “But like i said before, no more holding back.” He looked at the “Earth pony” with a deadly serious gaze.

Cobalt returned his gaze before looking back towards the crowd outside the cage. He stared for a moment, his eyes searching them. He finally turned his eyes back to Chris. Chris stared back, waiting for the dark stallion’s decision.

Before he could make a move though, Lyra teleported in. “Sorry for the wait, everypony.” She looked towards Chris. “Are you ready?” Chris threw a look towards Cobalt before nodding his head. Lyra nodded back and looked towards Cobalt. “Are you ready?” The stallion didn’t say anything for a while, only stared at Chris. “Mr. Steel?” Lyra asked, concern forming on her face.

“No,” Cobalt finally answered. He lifted his hands and unzipped his heavy canvas jacket. He slid the jacket into his right hand and he slowly unfurled the bat-like wings on his back. He finally broke his gaze away from Chris and looked down at the jacket in his hand. He changed his gaze to Lyra and threw his jacket over the cage where it hung. “Now I’m ready.”

Lyra nodded at him and turned towards the crowd and raised her arm. “Both fighters ready. Fight!” She dropped her hand and teleported away. The two fighters rushed each other, cloaking themselves in their energies. Shadows flowed from Cobalt’s fists, eyes, and the membranes of his wings as orange Static danced around Chris’ body. Cobalt swung out with his right fist and Chris mirrored with his left. Their fists met and the air rippled out. Their eyes met, gray versus yellow, and they began to throw punches at an extraordinary rate, their knuckles cracking against one another as their hands met in midair time and again.

Chris’ right fist finally met Cobalt’s left with a resounding boom and the two combatants rushed back and away from one another. “Not bad,” Chris said, “but let’s see how you handle magic!” Without warning, he swept his hands forward as Blue Static rushed over his arms and launched several spikes of ice at the Thestral. Cobalt responded by stepping back with his right foot as he moved his left arm and wing in front of his body. Shadows engulfed his wing and the ice shards shattered against the misty wall. Cobalt wasted no time moving his arm and wing out of the way before stepping forward with his right foot and thrusting his right fist forward, shadows covering his hand. Tendrils of dark mist shot from the globe of shadows and wrapped themselves around Chris’ limbs and torso.

Chris looked down in surprise before looking back up quickly. “Uh-oh,” he muttered. Cobalt jerked his arm backward and Chris was dragged forward at tremendous speeds. Chris saw the stallion draw his left arm over his chest again. Oh, this is going to hurt, he said internally.

Bracing for impact! [Sam shouted and the sound of a seat belt being buckled played in Chris’ head. He ignored it and focused his magic, metal beginning to cover his upper torso and throat. He reached Cobalt and the stallion swung his arm out, catching Chris just under his chin causing him to flip backward and slam into the mat. Chris grimaced as his metallic skin just barely managed to catch the blow. He opened his eyes and rolled out of the way as Cobalt stomped on the floor, sending out a shadowy shock wave. Chris rolled back to his feet and faced Cobalt. Red and Green Static rushed towards his throat and jaw. He opened mouth and intense flames rushed out with a roar. Cobalt’s eyes widened in surprise and jumped into the air, using the sudden rising heat to boost gain altitude faster. The rest of the fireball left Chris’ lips and he jerked his focus upward to Cobalt before leaping into the air after him.

The Thestral didn’t wait for Chris to approach him, instead Cobalt dove towards him, his wings covered in shadow. Chris’ eyes widened and he quickly activated his Yellow Static, charging his body with lightning and stretched his right arm out, condensing the electricity into his right palm. The fighters raced towards one another and rushed past each other, light flashing briefly. They came to a stop and landed on either side of the ring. The buzzer went off and the two faced one another before walking to the middle of the ring. They looked ready to tear eachother apart and Lyra prepared to jump into the ring until the a huge grin split Chris’ face as a half smile appeared on Cobalt’s. They reached their arms out and shook hands.

“Welcome to the team, Cobalt,” Chris said. Cobalt nodded in return and the two made their way out of the cage. They parted ways at the door, Chris going towards the mic and Cobalt towards the crowd. Before he could rejoin them, a dark figure stepped in front of him. He looked up and met Garion’s amber eyes.

“You lied to me,” Garion stated coldly.

Cobalt stared into his eyes. “I never lied,” he responded. “I just never told you.”

Garion narrowed his eyes. “You know what my opinions are.” Garion looked the dark pony up and down. “You’re nothing more than a freak-”

There was a loud smack and the Griffon’s head lurched to the side as everything went quiet. Garion . Garion didn’t move for a moment until he finally turned his head back to its original position and looked down.

Firefly stood between him and Cobalt, her arm and hand still moving back from her slap. She stared up defiantly at the big Griffon and a growl started to leave his throat. He suddenly drew his fist back and swung only to be stopped as Chris grabbed a hold of his wrist.

Garion turned his head to look the young man in the eyes, his gaze full of fury. Chris returned the stare with his own steely gaze, never letting go of his wrist. “Get in the ring,” Chris growled dangerously.

Garion stared at him a moment longer before yanking his arm from Chris’ grasp and made his way to the octagon. Chris turned and followed after him, but was stopped by Sweetie before he could enter the arena.

“What about your cool down?” She asked worriedly, her hand on his shoulder.

Chris looked down at her and his expression softened. He looked at her hand on his shoulder and moved to cover it with his own. “Somethings,” he began, looking back into her eyes, “are more important than our personal needs.” He took her hand in his, lifting it off his shoulder and giving it a gentle squeeze before he continued his way into the ring.

He walked to his side of the ring and turned to face the dark Griffon, his face hardening again as their eyes met. Lyra teleported into the middle and looked back and forth between the two fighters. After a few times, she let out a breath and steeled herself before turning to look at Chris. “Are you ready?” The young man nodded and she turned to the Griffon. “Are you-”

“Get on with it!” Garion said sharply, cutting off the Unicorn. Chris’ eye twitched and Lyra frowned as she turned away and lifted her hand.

“Both fighters ready. Fight!” There was a second loud smack as Lyra teleported out of the ring. Everyone in the room blinked as Chris moved his hand back from slapping Garion a second time, his body flashing with Green and White Static. For a moment, everything was still and extremely quiet. Then, a low growl could be heard as Garion curled up his fist. The Griffon launched his fist forward with a roar, only to have it pass through thin air. He looked up in surprise to find Chris standing in the middle of the arena, White and Green Static still dancing around his form.

“You enjoy making others feel small,” Chris growled out. “Worthless. Weak.” Chris eyes darkened. “Why don’t I put you on the receiving end of such punishment.” The Static arced across his body and into the air, separating and forming two orbs, one green, one white. The air around Chris began to shimmer like a mirage as other forms of Static started to do the same. Soon the first two spheres were joined by four others; red, blue, yellow, and black. They formed a circle in front of him and began spinning clockwise.

Cobalt and Firefly’s eyes widened and they exchanged a look of realization, before they started to step back from the arena. Tendrils began to trail from the orbs and made their way towards the center where they collided and formed a circle, a glowing symbol beginning to form within. The symbol, an eight pointed star, finished forming and a flash of light blinded everyone in the room. Garion opened his eyes and looked towards the human, only to step back in shock. Static that shone silvery red and blue arced over his body, and his hair stood on end, as if blown upward by a strong wind. But what caught the Griffon’s attention were his eyes. Chris’ eyes were the same gray as before, but now the whites glowed with the same light as his Static. And they were staring right at him.

Garion took a step back. “You’re a monster,” the Griffon stuttered out, fear clear in his voice. Suddenly, Chris was mere inches from him, his features stone cold.

“No,” he said lowly. “I’m actually a real nice guy. That’s why I’m going to give you the last punch.” The young man took a few steps back, his expression never changing. “Make it-” There was a loud boom as Garion rushed forward and slammed his fist into Chris’ face. “Count,” Chris finished.

Garion’s eyes widened and he lowered his fist to find the human’s face unchanged. The dark Griffon began to back away, trying to put as much distance between himself and Chris. “My turn.” The simple words sent chills up Garion’s back as he watched Chris drop back in preparation for an attack. His eyes widened in realization before the human rushed forward. The Griffon screwed his eyes shut and through his arms up, cowering before the attack. But it never came.

After a few moments, Garion opened his eyes to see Chris standing in front of him, a frown on his face. “Get out,” Chris growled before the energy around him began to die down and he slowly returned to normal. “You will never be a Ranger,” he stated before he turned and began to walk out of the cage only to stop and look over his shoulder. “And tell your father if he wants to settle something, he can do it himself.” He turned around and continued on his way out.

The moment he exited the ring, the crowd exploded in cheers. Chris looked up in surprise, only for his astonsihment to turn into a smile. He walked forward and Firefly stopped in front of him. “Thank you,” she said quietly, but loud enough for him to hear above the crowd.

Chris smile widened a little. “It was no-”

CHRIS, LOOK OUT!!!

Time seemed to slow down as Chris turned around to see Garion rushing towards him, a dagger in his hand and a wild look in his eyes. Chris activated his Static, silver and yellow electricity flooding over his body. A flash of green suddenly flashed between the two, and Sweetie Belle materialized out of thin air. Chris’ eyes widened and he pushed his Static faster. I’m not going to make it! He thought desperately, focusing solely on the only thing the could save her. Time returned to normal and nobody dared breath for several moments. Firefly stood behind Chris, recovering from the shock of the situation. When she did, she built up the courage to peak around the taller being.

Sweetie stood in front of Chris, her arms outstretched, and Garion was stuck in front of her, his arm shaking as he struggled to push the knife forward. The blade in question was surround in dark gray and yellow Static, frozen in midair. When the pink mare looked up at Chris, she found the same colors dancing around his body, especially his eyes. Cobalt and Shining came out of nowhere and tackled the Griffon to the ground, the dagger staying in the air.

With the danger passed, Sweetie stumbled backward, her eyes wide in shock. Chris quickly reached his arms out and caught her by the shoulders, the knife falling out of the air as his Static died down. Chris moved until he was facing her and quickly started checking her. “Are you okay?” He asked frantically. “Are you hurt?”

“N-no,” Sweetie muttered, her eyes wide after the close call.

Chris let out a breath of relief and wrapped her in a hug. “Please,” he started, a slight shutter in his voice, “don’t do that again.”

Sweetie didn’t respond only wrapped her own arms around him, grabbing on to him as she buried her head in his shoulder. Chris put a comforting hand on the back of the mare’s head before he looked up to see Cobalt and Shining Armor escort Garion out of the training room. A frown crossed his features and his eyes narrowed. You will pay for this, Chris promised silently.

Guntram.

Author's Note:

What exactly is the new power Chris displayed? How will the new Rangers take to their new roles? What is Midnight planning? But, above all else, what will Chris do with Guntram? Find out next time on DRAGON BALL- I mean, Equestrian Psycho.

Sorry this one took so long to get out, for some reason it gave me trouble. The next chapter probably won't come out any sooner, and the reason being is that I am going to start another Displaced story. I can hear the groans now. I'm going to get the new story up and going, which may take a few chapters, then I'll alternate between stories. But until that happens if you guys have any questions, see a mistake, or have something wacky to share, leave it in the comments below. As always, until next time, have a good one.