• Published 28th Aug 2016
  • 882 Views, 62 Comments

One For The Archives - ArtaFactia



Arta responds to a classified ad to work as an archivist, only to find herself with a rather infamous employer...and a whole new way of life.

  • ...
5
 62
 882

Chapter Six - Blinded By The Light

Chrysalis had laid her eggs in her drones for as long as she had been queen, and while she did love them, she'd not felt as fiercely protective of them as she did Arta. Seeing Arta heavy with her eggs not only pleased her, but also made her want to keep Arta as close as possible. Arta had no objections to being moved into the queen's chambers, where every night she was spooned from behind, Chrysalis' muzzle buried in her mane and hooves gently caressing her gravid belly. Arta felt like she was at once both Chrysalis' mate and stuffie.

Chrysalis noted her own behaviour and was slightly concerned about it, but she couldn't seem to help herself. Being around a pony this much was bringing out the pony inside of her. She was well on her way to meeting Arta somewhere in the middle, as the pegasus had been gradually becoming more and more like a changeling with every passing day. This situation was a first for Chrysalis, an experiment, and it was proving to be wildly successful.

* * *

With Arta now free to roam as much of the hive as she wanted, it was only a matter of time until she found the entrance. It had been so long since she'd been outside that she had forgotten the feel of a gentle breeze in her mane, and the sun shining down, limning the world with light. When she saw the thin beam of light sprawled across the floor, her eyes followed it to its source, and she hurried onward. The outside! Equestria!

Almost immediately she regretted stepping out of the hive, the sun shooting like a dagger, digging into her eyes and her brain. She collapsed on the ground, eyes clamped shut, groaning and gasping. She lay there in agony for a good minute, and then she heard someling coming up behind her. Then she felt their hooves, pulling her back inside. "Are you all right, Arta?"

"Nggh...hurts...the light..." she groaned. She recognized the voice. It belonged to Spirax, one of the changeling guards who protected the hive. She cracked her eyes open, and was greeted by blessed darkness, as well as the worried countenance of Spirax. "Much better." Spirax eyed her closely for a moment, then stepped outside to have a quick look around to make sure no pony was about. When he returned, he found her looking at him in confusion.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"The light...how does it not bother you?"

"Oh!" He chuckled softly. "Nictating membranes. When we go out into the light, a membrane comes down over our eyes and mitigates the harsh glare of the sun. Ponies don't have that."

"Mmff...I wish I did. Then I could have been spared that pain. How will I ever step outside if the light is just going to force me back inside?" It felt incredibly unfair to her that her body wasn't as magnificent as a changeling's. Magnificent? Huh...I guess being here with changelings for so long is 'changing' me.

"Hmm...maybe I could ask Tarsus..." he muttered to himself, tapping his chin.

"Huh? Tarsus...Tarsus, the tinkerer?"

"Yes, him. Maybe he could make some sort of eyewear for you to mimic the effect of our nictating membranes."

"Oh! Like sunglasses."

"Yes, like sunglasses. Only better. Sunglasses shield your eyes from the sun but wash out a lot of colour. Our membranes don't do that. If you're willing to be patient, Arta, I'll talk to him later and see about getting you some changeling 'sunglasses'. How does that sound?"

"That sounds great, thank you!" Arta threw her hooves around Spirax, giving him a warm hug. He returned the hug, blushing green, obviously pleased to be receiving some affection from the Love Bringer (a nickname that most of the hive had bestowed upon her).

Even after she had gone, he stood there with a goofy look on his face, high on the small bit of love he'd gathered from her.

* * *

With Tarsus working on the sunglasses (he had begun working on the problem right away, abandoning his other projects), Arta felt the weight of that problem lifted off of her shoulders. She had faith in his abilities; he was the undoubtedly the smartest and most inventive changeling in the hive, and if he couldn't figure it out, she didn't think anyling could.

Of course, with the hivemind constantly active, word got to Chrysalis quite quick about Arta's momentary jaunt outside, and she found herself face-to-face with a none-too-pleased changeling queen.

"YOU WENT OUTSIDE?!"

"Yes, I did! For a moment! Why, is that forbidden?" Arta stood as tall as she could, looking at the queen with defiance in her eyes. Up until now she hadn't attempted to assert herself and quarrel with her queen, but Chrysalis' overreaction irked her and the two were now in the midst of a heated spat.

"Yes! I mean, no! I mean...I don't know! I just...WHY?!"

"Because I've been cooped up inside for MONTHS! I-I'm not a changeling, I'm a pony, a-and...and..." Arta sniffled, tears rolling down her cheeks. "...I just...wanted to see..." The sight of Arta's tears arrested Chrysalis' tirade, and she immediately felt horrible about yelling at her mare.

"Arta. I...I'm sorry." She pulled Arta in close for a hug. Arta squirmed a little, trying to break free of the embrace, but Chrysalis held her tight. Arta gradually calmed down and looked up at Chrysalis, sniffling some more. "I just got a little...scared."

"You? Scared?" Arta asked, incredulous.

"Yes. I got scared. Scared that you might want to leave me. Leave us." Chrysalis gently rubbed her hooves along Arta's back and wings, and the pegasus murred quietly.

"That would never happen, my quee—"

"You don't need to call me that anymore." Chrysalis said quietly, cutting her off.

"Huh? But...you're my queen, Chrysalis."

"Am I, though? You're not a changeling. You're not connected to the hivemind. You're not subject to my power, not really. Short of transforming you into an actual changeling, how can I make you something you're not? No, I'm not your queen. I'm just...Chrysalis. And I'm a better Chrysalis with you, Arta. I stole you away from Equestria, but in turn you stole my heart." Arta was dumbfounded at this change of heart. Slowly, she returned Chrysalis' hug, and her expression of surprise gradually gave way to a soft, affectionate smile. Chrysalis could feel the love swell in Arta, and Arta did not object to a little bit of feeding. Chrysalis shivered with delight as the love filled her, wiping away her hunger and then some. The brief flash of anger was all but forgotten.

"How about I call you Chryssy, then?" Arta asked with a sly smile, waggling her eyebrows. If Chrysalis wasn't going to view Arta as her subject any more, then that put the two on equal ground, and realizing that brought out the boldness in the usually demure pegasus.

"I...wouldn't object to that." Chrysalis said, and the two of them locked lips in a hungry make-up make-out. When they came up for breath, Chrysalis looked down at her, eyeing her amorously as she gulped in air. "But you...*huff*...you're still the...*huff*...bottom, got it?"

"Of course, my queEEEE!" Arta squealed with delight as Chrysalis mounted her, fangs sinking into her neck. "Ahhh...Ch-Chryssyyyyy!"

Author's Note:

...revved up like a deuce,
another runner in the night!

sorrynotsorry

And yes, actual archiving will eventually happen after more shameless self-insert shipping