• Published 22nd Aug 2016
  • 845 Views, 10 Comments

It's Just Natural - Appleshy - Gpizano



A collection of short fics starring everyone's favorite farmer and animal caretaker.

  • ...
4
 10
 845

And The Baby Makes Three

"I want to be perfectly clear on this. Life is a very complex thing to create. Even calling upon the power of an alicorn's magic, magical conception has a very high rate of failure and there are many dangers for both the mother and the child. I know you both love each other very much and I know how much this means to both of you. But are you completely willing to face the risks that would lie ahead?"


"Hurry! Get her to the emergency room! Her blood pressure is dropping fast! We need to stabilize her or we could lose them both!"

The bed was hurriedly rolled down the hallway, surrounded by the best medical team that Ponyville to offer. Despite how swiftly and expertly they moved, all felt their nerves start to fray at the situation. Yes they had seen the health of mares turn south when it came time for the baby to be born, yes they had foals arrive too early, but this was the first time they had dealt with both through magical conception! A specialist from Canterlot was supposed to arrive in about a month, so requested by Ponyville's own princess of Friendship so that the child of her friends could be delivered safely, but now there simply was no time and the team had no idea if there were possible surprises waiting for them!

"A-Apple... jack."

Despite barely being conscious and in labor, a pastel yellow hoof weakly raised up from the bed, teal blue eyes trying to focus and spot a coat of orange through all the blurs. Just as the door to the room was about to be closed, said orange coated mare kept it jammed open with a hoof before muscling her way in.

"Ma-am! We don't have the room-"

"The hell ya' don't! That's mah wife in there n' Ah'll knock yer buckin' head off if'n ya' don't let me in!"

The stallion could do nothing to block the way as Applejack pushed her way through and made it to Fluttershy's side, the medical team working around her since most knew better than to try and move the farmer. Applejack took Fluttershy's hoof in both of her own, whispering soothing words and letting the pegasus know she was there. They had known this was a possibility, Twilight had warned them as much when they came to her to ask for her help. Applejack had always been afraid that something would happen but that paled in comparison to the terror she felt now.

"Shy, 'Shy Ah know ya' cin hang on. Ya' gotta' make it. You n' our foal. Please."

Everything seemed to pass by in a blur for Applejack, her eyes squeezed shut and her forehead pressed against her wife's hoof. She had no idea how much time had passed as she continued talking to the pegasus, trying to comfort her, trying to urge her to hang on, she even told her to breath like how they had been told during those baby classes. The blonde was finally broken out of her trance when Fluttershy gave one last, loud scream before collapsing, the nurses immediately rushing to take care of her. Was it done? But... why couldn't she hear any crying?

Raising her head, she looked to Fluttershy, the mare looking absolutely exhausted before looking towards the doctor.

Why couldn't she hear any crying?!

Then it came... soft at first but then it rose loud enough for Applejack to hear. She could hear their foal crying. She could hear it!

Relief hit Applejack so hard that she collapsed against the side of the bed, tears finally falling from her eyes as she took deep breaths to try and steady herself. She only looked up when she felt a tap on her shoulder, seeing the tired looking doctor smile to her.

"It was pretty close, we'll want to examine your daughter to make sure she's alright. But would you like to hold her?"

All Applejack could do was nod dumbly and watch the nurse approach approach, holding a small bundle in one hoof that Applejack gingerly took and held in her arms. While the foal did seem a little on the small side, she was just perfect to Applejack. Her coat was a pistachio green and the tuft of hair on her head was something she thought she heard Rarity call 'coral pink'. When she opened her eyes, indigo blue irises stared up at her and Applejack could feel a fresh wave of tears ready to spring up.

"Hey there lil' one. Ya' gave me n' yer momma quite a scare."

Turning back to the bed, she leaned in close so that a tired Fluttershy could see their foal. Despite how wiped out and weak the pegasus was, she was all smiles as well and reached out to gently take the newborn foal into her arms, tears of joy slipping down her cheeks.

"Our foal. Our little Jazz Apple..."

Author's Note:

Yeah I don't know shit about medical stuff so I tried to keep it vague and remember what I watched on TV and stuff. :derpytongue2:

I thought about what colors to make the foal and I thought about just completely mixing Applejack and Fluttershy's colors buuuut, it seemed too much like a Fluttershy clone.

But I hope it suffices.