• Published 2nd Sep 2016
  • 5,410 Views, 47 Comments

Eternal Knight - Metroid Prime



A being straight out of a legend is proven to be all too real when it shows up at Canterlot Castle, and it's not here to make friends.

  • ...
9
 47
 5,410

Chapter 4: Fact and Fiction

Gods were a recurring theme in Equestria. Given that the kingdom was ruled by one(formerly two), it comes to no surprise that many revere, fear and envy them. Those that would envy them try to find ways of bringing them down in any way they see fit. The radical would go so far as to just kill them outright. Nevertheless, such things were easier said than done, finding a means of slaying a god be it conventional or non-conventional.

However most people that do know where find a means of killing a god would usually go out of their way to conceal or destroy said means to protect their deities.

Most of the time....


Los Pegasus 10 minutes to 9

Hard Pike strolled through the hallways of the Los Pegasus Museum of history as he mentally counted down the seconds until his shift was over. Granted that did seem to make time tick slower than it should, but he found no other way to keep himself busy.

It's not that he didn't find the displays in the museum to be uninteresting. It’s just if he stayed in one place for too long, he would not be doing his job. As such, that would increase the likelihood of someone breaking and entering without his knowledge to make off with some of the valuables that were kept here.

Continuing his patrol, he once again found himself in the Olympian section; an exhibit that is currently touring the country in order to showcase the various myths and legends about the Greek gods, as well as a few items said to have ties with them.

While doing his job was a top priority to him, he would allow himself a momentary rest once in awhile so that he would look around and see anything that could grab his attention.

He soon found his eyes laying a glass box in a corner that housed a peculiar item. Walking up to it he read the inscription on the plaque.

The Olympian Crystal

Discovered and recovered by an anonymous adventurer, this Crystal is said to have been created by human heretics who desired the downfall of the Olympian Greek and Roman Gods. However studies have concluded that the crystal does not possess that power to kill gods but instead is capable of storing large amounts of magical energy akins that of a power gem. When we questioned the Olympians however, they stated that they were aware of the existence of this item, could not confirm nor deny the crystals alleged god killing power.

The guard thought for a moment. He had recently heard about how an unknown saboteur had attacked Canterlot and made of with a large amount of power gems and at the same time seemingly defeating Princess Celestia in battle. That fact that this relic was apparently able to act as a power gem in a sense made him wonder. What if...

The Hard Pike shook his head at the thought. The odds of that monster breaking into this museum to steal this crystal was not likely. After all, who was to say it even knew about it.

Pushing the thought to the back of his mind, Hard Pike went back to his patrol.

However, no sooner than when the guard left the room, a shadowy figure in dark armor shimmered into existence.

When Hard Pike would come back into the room later on, he would fail to notice that the Crystal he examined earlier was now gone...


Spike walked through the door of the Ponyville library as he let out a sad sigh.

"Well plenty more fish in the sea Spike" he said to himself.

His latest attempt to court a mare had gone awry when her coltfriend(whom she was apparently cheating on) came to confront her. The situation that followed was one straight out of a drama sitcom. Needless to say, Spike removed himself from the equation as it was clear that this was between them and did not want to meddle with such affairs.

The dragon set his stuff down before going upstairs and knocking on the bedroom door.

"Sunset, i'm home!"

No response came from within.

"Sunset, you in there?"

"I'm busy go away."

"Aww don't be like that. What could you possibly be busy with?"

"Nothing of importance."

"If it's nothing important then why are you telling me to go away?"

"Just...cause."

"...You know what? I'm coming in."

Spike opening the door and expected to be met with a fireball to the face. Except what he found was a pile of books on the floor and Sunset having her face in one.

Walking towards her, he picked up one of the books and examined the tile, "Old Equestrian Myth and Folklore: Legendary Version".

"Does Mom have you studying for a history test or something?"

"No."

"Are you bored?"

"No."

"Then what?"

"Like I said it's not important and furthermore none of your business."

Sunset however was caught off guard when he snatched the book from her and read the title out loud, "Monsters and Beasts: Phantasm Edition."

The book was levitated out of Spike's grasp with his sister shooting him a glare.

"Aren't these books from the Canterlot Royal Archives, cause I don't think this library carries the hard to find special edition books by Gorge Lukas."

"Alright, fine I took them before when we were in Canterlot so I could learn what I could about this thing that attacked mom!"

"Ahhhh, why didn't you just say so?"

"Because I know you will tell her in order to stop me from getting into any danger."

Spike stood there for a moment before smiling and pulling his sister into a hug.

"W-what?" she said as he pulled away.

"Sunset, if our encounter with Ginger Snaps has taught me anything, it’s that I can't stop you if you set your mind to it."

"Oh, I see."

"Besides, we have faced a dark ancient goddess and you personally took on a Dragon and fought a Balrog."

"Yes, although I don't like to brag," Sunset said pridefully.

Spike rolled his eyes, "Okay so what have you learn so far?

"Well, next to nothing really. None of the books I read say anything that would describe what attacked mom."

"Okay, but what do we know already?"

"According to the Inquisition, the suspect in question had a shadowy appearance to it, but they could clearly see that it was wearing armor and had a biped appearance. So it may have been a human or minotaur at the least."

"Okay, what about its abilities, weapons and magic?"

"It just used whatever it got its hands on, and somehow used them to the best of their ability, as if it had held all those weapons before."

"So what we are looking for is a walking suit of human armor that can basically use any weapon it touches."

The two stood there for a moment before their eyes widened as they came to the same conclusion.

"Wait," Sunset began "You don't think it's-"

"I'm pretty sure it is a no brainer."

"But seriously, the Black Knight!? That's just a myth, a tall tale meant to scare foals into sleeping."

"Sunset, I think you of all ponies should know by know, since when is anything in this world a old mare's tale?"

This did not bode well, the Black Knight was already an imposing figure in stories. If what rumors about the thing were to be fact then they had much more to worry about.

"But wait, there's just one question."

"What?"

"If this thing is real and by proxy should be credited with the destruction of Shion Village, then why isn't it?"

"What do you mean?"

"The official report says that its destruction was credited to a attack by a group of well trained bandits, but if that thing really did destroy Shion why would mom try to cover it up?"

"Cover up?"

"Remember when I told that story to everyone during the sleepover, about how the guard sent Bearers of Flame of retake Shion?"

"Yeah, but I thought you made that part up about that Bearer of Flame dying in mom's hooves."

"I didn't mom told me about it once, but said it was just a rumor."

"So where are you going with this?"

"Spike, what exactly is mom not telling us?"


Luna sat in her cell as she had only her thoughts to keep her occupied. Although said thoughts contained plans of revenge and escape, as well as various ways see could torment her sister for this humiliating punishment.

She would rather be dead than be a captive of her sister. Her defeat was just another accomplishment that those sun loving subjects would praise and sing about for ages to come.

"When I get out of here, that only thing coming out of their mouths will be screams of mercy. Not that they will get any," she chuckled to herself.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the doors to her cell open. The lunar alicorn let out a sigh and kept her head down as she remembered that it was that time of the week again.

"She has probably brought something this time to try and persuade some feelings of friendship from me. A toy from our past or maybe a piece of food that she knows I crave."

She sensed a large figure walked in front of her and for the sake of getting this over with, looked up.

Standing there in the light was Princess Celestia holding a large piece of devil's food chocolate cake.

"I knew it."

"Hello Luna, how are you today?" Celestia said in the most innocent voice and smile.

The younger alicorn just gave her sister the usual glare she gave whenever they had these "talks".

"I brought chocolate, your favorite."

Luna still didn't open her mouth.

Moving on, Celestia set down the cake in front of her sister, sat down on a pillow that she teleported inside.

"Have you come to chastise me this time sister? Or maybe give me that talk on me accepting you friendship?"

Surprisingly, Celestia's face turned neutral as she looked to the side and let out a sigh.

"No, we’re not talking about friendship or forgiveness today."

For the first time in months, Luna was caught off guard by what Celestia said.

"Today I thought we would take about somethings else."

The younger alicorn narrowed her eyes at Celestia. On one hoof, that was some ulterior motive to what she was about say to her, but decided to entertain her sister just this once.

"Well, what do you want?"

Celestia smiled as she saw that Luna was probably going to be reasonable this time.

"You may not know this, but last week, the castle was attacked by an intruder who tore its way through the guard and despite my attempts to stop it, made off with a sack full of power gems, the goods one mind you."

A smile flashed on Luna's face for a moment before once again giving Celestia a cold stare.

"And why would you tell me this?"

"Because I think we, or mostly you know the identity intruder who did this."

A scroll flashed into front of Luna, which unrolled to reveal and artist's drawing of what looked like a human knight in shadows.

It took a moment, but Luna soon knew what she was looking at.

"The Black Knight? So that deadly spirit is more than legend."

"Yes, I didn't recognize it at first when I saw it, but after the monster put me in the hospital, it did not take long for me to put two and two together."

Celestia stopped when she Luna start the chuckle. Said chuckle turned into full on laughter as Luna cried tears of "joy".

"Sweet mother above! After all those battles, all those trials and tribulations, the mighty Princess Celestia in defeated in battle not by some dragons or abominus monster, a spirit long thought to be a fairy tail meant to scare foals to sleep!"

Celestia did nothing to stop or interrupt Luna's moment. If anything, it was because she hadn't seen a smile on that face, or heard that infectious laughter in a long time.

"But even so, why would you come to me with this information. Wouldn't one of your many scholars know more about such a thing?"

"Actually, I came to you because you may know more about the Black Knight more than anybody else."

At this, Luna's girn once again became a frown. "Oh, how so?"

"Well, one of the many rumors surrounding the Knight was that he was trained by 'Nightmare Moon' herself, so I decided to go ask Nightmare Moon about her most powerful servant."

Luna's frown became even more cold, "And you thought that cake would make me tell you the weakness or the ambitions of the 'my most powerful servant'?"

Celestia only gave her sister a look that seemed to border between hope and something else...

"No"

The solar alicorn expected this answer, but was cut off before she could respond.

"No, the reason I will not tell you about the Black Knight is not because I will sell out my loyal subject, but for the simple reason that it is not one of my followers, nor has it ever been."

It was Celestia's turn to be surprised, as she blinked in confusion.

"Think sister, if had I such a powerful spirit under my command, I would have had it break me out of this cell instead of stealing a few worthless stones. So no, I know no more about the Black Knight than you do."

Celestia opened her mouth but then closed it. She knew Luna would not lie about such things, her only motive was to see her fall and to rule Equestria with eternal night.

‘That thing had the chance to kill me but it didn't, her follows would have jumped at the chance to finish me off unless Luna herself told them not to. Besides, I'm pretty sure she she wants to do it herself.’

The solar alicorn stood up and teleported the pillow away.

"Thank you for this talk Luna. Have a nice day."

Celestia was almost out of the cell before Luna called out to her.

"By the the way sister, before you go I have one question."

Celestia paused at the door.

"How many of your beloved foolish subjects died in vain protecting a few rocks?"

The Princess only remained silent for a moment, before continuing out the door.

"Enjoy the cake, Luna."


The Black Knight walked through the corridors of the cave system as he once again entered his masters chambers.

"I see you have returned, more quickly than I expected," the voice of the entity rang throughout the room.

"I waste no time in the service of my master."

The Knight held out the Crystal as the entity took it in its telekinetik grasp.

"Although if I may ask, what exactly makes this ‘Olympian Crystal’ so deadly to immortals? I examined the stones contents but they can only store energy, not weaponize it."

The Entity paused for a moment before speaking.

"...You are right, the crystal itself does not pose any threat to the gods of this world."

The Knight watched as the metal band around the crystal was slipped off. The ancient inscriptions on it glowing for a moment when it did.

"The metal peice however, that is where its true power lies."

The Knight only looked on in mild curiosity.

"Tell me servent, have you ever heard of the metal called Eternium?"

Even beneath his helmet, the Entity could tell he had elicited a reaction when he said that word.

"Yes, master....I have."

"Ah, then I don't need to explain to you how this metal is exclusive to the world we both came from, how it is capable of severing immortal ties no matter what universe or dimension that god or godly being comes from."

"No master, I know full well what that mineral is capable of."

The Entity could tell that the mention of Eternium had struck a cord in the mind of his servant. It looked like he was becoming infuriated at something.

"Or someone, given who he really is."

"If you require nothing else master, I shall take my leave."

"Actually, there is one thing."

"What?"

"I feel like that in light of your successful execution of your recent tasks, I feel like I should treat you with more respect. Something more than just a servant who does my bidding."

"Master, I am a spirit summoned into this world by you will. It is because of your mana that I take form here and by contract between the summoner and the spirit I shall be your familiar, your tool to do with as you please, I have no will of my own."

"True, but I do not intend to just call you servant for the remainder of this pact. So tell me knight, what more appropriate name shall I refer to you?"

The knight didn't need a moment before he made gave his answer.

"Berserker. You may call me Berserker."