• ...
6
 7
 964

Forgotten War.

*****

Celestia awoke with a start from her dream. Her sister, Luna still sound asleep next to her. Their world was in war. The humans had spread from their land in an attempt to conquer all of Equestria. They were an advanced barbaric race that desired nothing more than power. Celestia walked over to the stand her armor rested on.
It was battered and scared from the multiple battles she was in. Her and her sister, and the rest of the royal army were able to hold back the invading humans for a time, but their machines of war were becoming to much for the Ponies to compete against, even with magic. But it was magic that would win the day. Her friend, and mentor, Starswirl the Bearded, was working on a spell called, "The World Rift." It would effectively create an alternate plane in the fabric of space, replicating their world, and make it a place for the humans to live. It would Take His, Luna's, and Celestia's full magical powers to do. The Human race was amassing near the Outland's where the refugees and army were hiding. Canterlot was taken, The Humans had even reached Cloudsdale with their machines. But their greed would get the better of them. For this spell would get rid of them once and for all.

"Princess?" Celestia turned to see Starswirl the bearded entering the tent. "The spell is ready for us to do. Are you sure the humans will fall into the trap?"
"Their greed will cause them to. They want everything. And they will stop at nothing to take everything."
Luna awoke and went over to her big sister.
"Sister?" She said sleepily, "I'm scared. What if this doesn't work?" Luna asked with tears in her eyes.
Celestia couldn't lie to Luna. She had to tell her the truth, no matter how blunt it was.
"Then we are done for."

The day waned on. The soldiers stood uneasy at their posts, The refugees huddled their young close and feared the worst. Others retreated deeper into the Outlands. Celestia, Starswirl and Luna stood in the front of the camp watching the approaching dust cloud with apprehension. Celestia could tell Luna was the most frightened of anypony. She was still young, just a filly. Starscroll just stood their as calm as always. Celestia always respected Starswirl for his bravery and collectiveness.
Celestia could feel the butterflies in her stomach. She wasn't without her fear. She let out a sigh as she could see the humans approaching. Some in flying contraption, others in vehicles that rolled on wheels, others on foot. They shouted and roared war cries as they approached.
Starswirl turned to the young princesses. "It's time, girls. Are you ready?"
They both nodded.
The three of their horns glowed brightly. They pressed them against his as he chanted slowly to himself. A hole began to form in the ground. It grew larger and larger as he continued his chants. Celestia cracked her eye and looked to Luna. The young filly was beading with sweat. She wasn't used to using so much magic at once. Celestia called out to her. "Keep strong, Luna. I believe in you!"
Luna called back to her. "It hurts Tia! I can't keep this up."
Celestia reassured her young sister more. "You can, Luna. You are so strong!"
Starswirl began to raise of the ground. his chanting became louder and louder, And the humans grew closer and closer.
A brilliant flash of light lifted off the ground. It raised into a large arch covering the entire land. It split into two and went across Equestria, and the entire world, banishing the humans to their own.
The bright flash nearly blinded Celestia, even through closed eyes. She opened them and saw the humans machines screeching to a halt and the flying ones sputtering and falling out of the air. All were vacant. She looked up at Starswirl the bearded, but he was no where in site. He had vanished. Luna opened her eyes, squinting as she adjusted back to normal light. "Is it over, Tia? she asked.
Celestia smiled to her little sister. "Yes, Luna. It is done!"
The two princesses embraced on another. The whole camp was in an uproar of cheering. Their world was theirs again.

Celestia returned to her tent, ripping off the uncomfortable armor like a burden on her shoulders. Their was a note laying on her bed. It was from Starswirl.

My dear Princess Celestia,

Im afraid I wont be around for the celebrations this day. I didn't want to tell you what the spell would require, because i knew you would have refused to do it otherwise. It required that i sacrificed myself, to save you all. I have taught you and Luna well. I know Equestria will flourish under the rule of you two. I know great things will come from you. Be strong for your sister, and for yourself.

Your faithful teacher,

Starswirll the Bearded.

Tears streamed down Celestias face. The unicorn she had known all her life, the most father like figure she and Luna had, was gone forever. Luna came prancing in as she removed her pitch black armor. A huge smile spread across her face. Celestia turned away so Luna wouldn't see her crying. But it was too late.
"Tia? Are you okay?" She asked with worry.
Celestia couldn't tell her. She just couldn't. She incinerated the letter with her magic and turned to her sister.
"Tia? Whats wrong?" she demanded again. "And where's Starswirl?"
Celestia had to lie, to protect her sister. it was justified, too. After all, she was just a filly. "Starswirl had to leave for a while. But he said he would be back soon. I'm just sad because he's gone. Thats all." She said.
She decided to change the subject. "You did so well today, Luna. I'm so proud of you." She said embracing her little sister.
Luna's face lit up. "Thank you, Tia."
She then remembered her job. "Oh no! It's almost time to raise the moon!" She ran out of the tent and headed for the top of the hill behind them. Celestia was so proud of her. Of all of the ponies who fought and died in this war. It was finally over. There could finally be peace.

*****