• ...
6
 7
 964

Unexpected revelations.

The next week went by pretty uneventful. Woodwind spent all his time with each pony. He spent time at the Library with Twilight reading up on Equestrian history, he baked cupcakes and other delicious treats with Pinkie Pie, he even helped Rarity at her boutique designing outfits, although he knew he didn't do so well by the way she took over all his work. He spent more time with Rainbow Dash learning to fly, but he hadn't been able to spend time with Fluttershy.
His flying lessons were over for the day since Rainbow Dash had to fly into town. Something about seeing Pinkie Pie, so his lessons had to wait till later. This would be a perfect time to pay Fluttershy a visit and see if she needed help with anything. He walked back through town, which was the quickest way to get to her house. As he continued down the corner, he heard a strange, but a somehow familiar voice coming up behind him. Other ponies were giving it a wide berth, whatever it was it walked on its hind legs, was bald on its entire body except the top of his head, which was shaved in a short, jagged style. He was accompanied by a creature with a long black metal object in his arms and a small, narrow creature with wired rim glasses and a strange device in his hand. He pointed at Woodwind.
Who were these creatures? Why were they coming towards him? Woodwind shook a little bit as they got just a foot from him. The townsfolk talked amongst themselves, some backing away, some going into stores and houses to hide, and others to shocked to move.
"W-who are you?" Woodwind finally asked.
The creature in the middle, who was obviously the leader looked a little perplexed. "Are you sure this is the right one?" he asked the little creature with glasses.
it pushed its glasses higher up its snout and stammered an answer as the device continued to beep. "Y-yes sir. this is the one."
The leader continued to stare at him but continued to talk to the small one. "What happened? Why doesn't he remember us?"
The small one came up with an explanation pretty quick. "Maybe the machine affected his mind during the transition."
The machine? The transition? What was this creature talking about? How did they even know him? He decided to find out.
"Who are you? Where did you come from?" he asked again, this time with more authority in his voice. The sharp authority in his voice was enough to get their attention.
"Well, if you really don't know, i guess i have to explain it to you. where to begin?" he started.

*****

The year was 2128. The sun barely shone through the clouds of smog and ash in the sky. His quarters were made as best they could. Better than most since he was the President. His daily routines were simple, wake up, get to work, and try to keep the peace long enough to live another day to start it all again.
A small man with wire rimmed glasses entered his office. "Sir, we have it ready. We need you to oversee the final preparations." Dr.Brust said as he shifted the papers perched precariously in his arms.
"I'm coming." he said as he looked at the window at the shattered city below. "I just need a minute."
The doctor left just as a tall man dressed in army fatigues strolled in. This was the first time Woodwind saw him since the battle of New Stalingrad. The wound he received there had formed a jagged scar across his face.
He strolled across the room and picked up Woodwinds Medal of Honor sitting on the mantle.
"So, how's it feel going from common soldier, to leader of the freakin' country?" he asked smiling at his old friend.
Woodwind let a smile creep across his face. "Well, Coal, it's better than the trenches. How was Berlin?" he asked.
The man let out a chuckle. "It wasn't fun for them, i'll tell you that much." He said laughing. But he was here for another matter. Something he had to ask. "So, i know you have the answer to what i'm about to ask."
Woodwinds smile faded and he turned his attention to the window again. Cole continued on. "How much time does the Earth have?"
Woodwinds eyes fell to the ground. He felt a lump in his throat. The words stung as they came out. "We have less than six months."
Cole stood there looking at the Medal. he finally set it back down and went to Woodwinds side by the window. "You think the doctors machine will work? Do you think we can really break dimensions?"
Woodwind patted his friends shoulder to reassure him, but he knew he needed it more than his friend.
"Well, lets head to the lab. i gotta see this for myself."

They went down to the basement, which was lined with computers, monitors and large obscure machines. But only one was surrounded by scientists. it wasn't complete, Woodwind could tell by that much. But Dr. Brust assured him it was ready.
"Ah, good you're here!" Brust said as he ran up to greet them. "We tested the machine and have seen many worlds and dimensions, but only one is habitable. it's this one."
An image appeared on the monitor of a small world. it zoomed in on the landmasses, then on a city, then a town. Woodwind stood there in astonishment.
"My god. it's inhabited." he exclaimed leaning over the monitor in front of him.
"Yes, but not by people like us." Dr. Brust said as he zoomed closer to reveal a creature laying underneath a tree. A 3-D image popped up above them. Dr. Brust continued.
"They are horses. They seem to be a very peaceful race."
Cole chimed in with a smile. "Well they should be easy to conquer them."
Woodwind shot him a glance, A hint of anger in his eyes. enough to make Cole realize he wasn't trying to be subtle.
"We are not bringing this war to another world! This race doesn't deserve the kind of trauma ours did."
Cole's eyes narrowed and his jaw tightened. "Sir, with all due respect, I already signed up for this op, so there's nothing you can say to stop me."
Woodwind shot back, "I'm in charge of this country, this op, AND who goes on it. And i don't feel you're fit for it."
Cole inched closer to Woodwind, his fists clenched.
Dr. Brust let out a small, choked cough to let them know he had more to say.
"Um, Mr. President, Commander Cole is the only one who seems strong enough both mentally and physically, who can currently handle the transition. until the machine is done, we can only send one person through.
Woodwind stepped forward, ignoring Cole who was just inches from his face.
"I'll do it. This kind of operation requires more delicacy than the Commander can handle. I know I can handle the transition, so i'll go."
Dr. Brust looked astonished, Cole just looked angrier. Dr. Brust stepped forward.
"But sir, you can't risk you're life like that!"
Woodwind stepped towards the floating image of the pony.
"I will negotiate a course of action with their leader. maybe we can save enough citizens and start a home there with their permission.
Cole scoffed and went face to face with woodwind again.
"You think you can solve this with diplomacy? With words? it's easier to just take what you want! And if their leader says no, then what? Do we just keep searching? We'll be out of time by then and the world will be a desolate wasteland!" He decided to add insult to injury. "You're a fool, sir. you've always been a fool."
Woodwind just smiled and decided to humor his old friend, despite how he just acted.
"I'll tell you what, While i'm gone, you hold down the fort for me ok?"
Cole stood their dumbstruck. his mouth was stuck open.
"S-sir. I don't know what to say." Cole stammered with a new attitude.
Woodwind patted him on the back.
"Well, just remember, it's only temporary."
Cole strode off to the back of the room with a smile on his face. "You can count on me." he shouted.

Woodwind was briefed on the procedure and what would happen. Brust explained that a diplomatic exchange would go better if he became one of them. A small organic chip was place on his neck, which would change him at a molecular level and turn him into one of them based on the many 3-D models they had from the observations. He was also tolled that this would be the first time they sent someone through the small portal. Woodwind stared at the larger portal on the other side of the curtain.
"What's that portal to?" He asked the doctor.
Brust looked over the curtain at the 20 foot tall portal.
"That one is for the civilians to go through when-" he corrected himself. "If the negotiations go well."
Woodwind smiled as they finished hooking the small device to the back of his neck. The Dr also placed another chip in his hand.
"That one is a tracking chip. The larger portal doesn't have an internal tracker that lets it open on the other side safely. So to let the portal open on the other side, that chip will help it get its coordinates when you arrive."
Woodwind stepped onto the platform in front of the man sized portal.
"I'm ready. Start it up."
Dr. Brust activated the machine. a bright blue light filled the room. lightning crackled around the platform and into the air. Woodwind took a tentative step forward. The portal glowed brighter and brighter. The humming was loud and unnerving. Woodwind took one last look around, and shouted to Cole. "I'll see you on the other side, buddy."
Cole gave him a thumbs up as Woodwind stepped through the portal and into a new world.

*****

The strange creature had finished his story, and Woodwind sat their speechless. Twilight and her friends heard about what was happening in town and went to investigate. they arrived shortly after the creature started the story. Twilight looked shocked, Rarity and AppleJack just looked confused, Pinkie Pie was scratching her head with a dumbfounded look, and Rainbow Dash just looked angry. Fluttershy didn't come. Too scared to face the creatures.
Woodwind just sat their, contemplating the whole thing. Cole looked him dead in the eyes.
"You still don't remember us, do you?" Cole asked with a smile on his face. Woodwind shook his head. Cole's smile quickly turned into a smirk as he balled his fist, and punched the colt square in the jaw. Woodwind flew back about 5 feet and smashed into the ground. Twilight and the others ran to him to help. Cole rubbed his knuckles of the blood and bent down over Woodwind.
"It looks like i'm in charge permanently now. Which means we take this world my way." He turned to the man with the gun. "Sarge, Doc, lets go home and amass the armies. I want this world taken by the end of the week."
They left town, ponies continued to talk and encircle the group. Rainbow Dash glared at Woodwind.
"How could you! How could you bring these things here?" She yelled. "I mean how can YOU be one of them? How could you betray us like?!"
Woodwind sat up, a look of terror on his face.
"Rainbow, i didn't.. I couldn't!"
Rainbow got right in his face. "Well you did! You betrayed us!"
Woodwind looked at all of them. They all looked away, refusing to meet his gaze, except Rainbow who continued to glair at him.
Woodwind stood with his head lowered.
"I'm sorry everypony..." he started. "I didn't mean for this. I didn't."
Everypony remained silent.
Woodwind took the hint, and made his way out of town. Other ponies glared at him and whispered to each other.
It was a horrible walk of shame for Woodwind.
He walked for about a half hour. He never felt pain like this in his life. The town hated him, his friends hated him, and he hated himself.