• ...
6
 7
 964

New Stalingrad.

*****

October 21, 2126. New Stalingrad. 21 miles behind enemy lines.

"WOODY!" Hair-line yelled "GET DOWN NOW!"
He dove out of the way as a mortar landed right where he stood. His armor took the brunt of the blast and left him with nothing but a scratch.
They were going to pay for that.
A tank rolled up the road and stopped a few feet away from them. It's cannon went off with a thunderous crack as it hit the building where the Russian mortar team was located. The building went up in flame and burning soldiers were jumping from the roof. Teeny ran over and dragged him into the building. "What the hell were you thinking being in the open like that?" She scolded smacking him on his solid steel chest plate. He just laughed. Cole came over and held his hand out to him. "We're the advanced recon team, Sergeant, so try not to get killed before we reach our objective, ok?"
He accepted the hand up and jumped to his feet. "Aw, why you gotta ruin the fun?"
The Captain arched a brow at him.
Woodwind took the hint.
"Sir." He finished and looked at the ground.
"This is Tank column 3. We're right outside, team gamma, and ready to continue when you are, captain."
Cole pressed the ear piece and replied. "Copy Tank column 3 this is gamma team, we're green and ready to ride your rears, over." He snapped off the ear piece and grabbed his gun. "Lets head to the Capital people!"
Hair-line smiled one of his usual lets kick but smile. "Lets go, Woody! We gotta card game to finish when we get back."
Woody smiled. "Oh yeah, thats right. I was just about to whoop you and teeny there for 200 dollars wasn't I?"
Hair-line shut his mouth quick and looked at the Captain. "Was it really necessary to save his sorry ass, Sir?"
Cole smiled. "Unfortunately, yes. We need him on this op."
Hair-line smiled at Woody and they all left the blown out store and stepped into a shower of ash, and fire.
The tanks continued to roll down the road towards the gigantic capital building off in the distance.
The way there was surprisingly quiet, which made them all nervous.
Cole flashed a hand sign at his team. It was the sign for eyes open. Another few miles in they were a block away from the capital. Woody smiled. "Well this should be easy." He said as he stepped into the open. A hand grabbed his pack and pulled him back, just as a sniper round ripped the cement apart where he stood a moment earlier. Teeny looked him dead in the eyes and grabbed his helmet from his pack. He took it from her and put it on. It was an experimental piece of equipment. Made from an experimental alloy, just like their armor. It was strong stuff. It didn't buckle easily. It could take a 50. cal round and not have a scratch. But the Russians had made their response to counter it. They called it the Nuclear bullet. it was a round made with a tiny reactor inside. when it hits its target, a tiny nuclear blast sends a fatal shockwave that kills the target instantly. No matter what they're wearing. He leaned over to Teeny. "Thanks, hot stuff." He said.
She smiled. "Thank me later. We got a job to do now."
Cole started the 5 second countdown.
4.
they cocked their weapons
3.
They primed smoke grenades
2.
They lobed them.
1.
Show time.

Bursting from cover and clouded by smoke, they began firing at the building with the 50. cal machine gun draped on Woody's shoulder. He was their tank, but it didn't mean they left the real ones behind. Two tanks rolled up each side of the street and shot down the 5 foot thick steel doors.
Russian troops poured out of the hole and opened fire on them. "Time to give them a taste of Papa Smurf!" He yelled. using his helmet to control the big blue gun mounted on his shoulder and exploded the soldiers with a fire rate of 1000 rounds a minute. Bits of flesh and bone flew into the air, peppering their armor in a mist of red.
"Woody, Take Teeny and Hair-line inside, I'll go right and find another entrance!" Cole shouted over their com. "Copy sir, Have fun flanking."

The lobby was an absolute mess. bussiness men and soldiers were twisted and broken into impossible shapes, and there was an inch layer thick of soot and ash everywhere, but otherwise it was dead silence. Woody felt uneasy about it. "Captain, how is everything on your end?"
Nothing but silence.
"Can anyone raise the Captain?" he asked his friends. The two shook their heads.
"Damn, well lets find the head honcho around here."
His friends nodded and followed.
The elevator ride up was a little shaky. The top of the building revealed an elaborate pent house filled with relics and items from Russias past. They looked over to the oak desk by the large window. The President was slumped in his chair, foam dripping from the side of his lips. Teeny checked on his vitals.
"He's dead, sir. Cyanide capsule."
A loud rumble shook the building. bits of ceiling came raining down as the three tried to keep their balance. "What the hell was that, Woody?" Hair-line asked as the building shook again. Woody looked out the window and saw what it was.
"Oh, shit! Captain, can you hear me? They launched a nuke! Captain are you there?
His voice came through accompanied by gunfire.
"I know! They launched it right as i got here! It's headed for D.C!
The two soldiers with Woody shifted on their feet, in an unsure manor.
"We have to get a line to the President! Alert base camp!"
Cole responded, "We're being jammed! We can't get through!"
As if by fate, an old fashioned phone began ringing on the desk across the room. it was an old corded red phone. Woody had heard stories about it. It was the direct line between both the Russian President and the US president. Woody picked it up. "Hello?"
"Hello? Who is this? Address yourself." replied the familiar voice.
"This is Sergeant Woodwind of the 183 Marine infantry, Mr. President."
The President sighed. "I had a feeling i'd hear from you someday. You're a legend in the US, son."
He smiled but remembered what was happening. "Sir, A nuke has been launched and its headed for the capital! You have to get out of there now!"
The President sighed. "We were tracking it the moment it launched. It'll be hear faster than we can escape its blast radius. We accept what's about to come."
Woody stood their in disbelief. "Sir, What about the country? Who's going to lead it and keep the people safe?"
He heard the president chuckle. "I may have just met you, but i know your legacy. I want you to take my place."
Woody couldn't speak. he collapsed into the chair beside the phone.
"I know you'll do the country proud. I already sent out a message to all the senators on the west coast about what's to happen. I'm also giving you the congressional Medal of Honor for your services."
Woodwind started to tear. "I'll do you proud Mr. President," He said. "You can count on it."
The president chuckled as someone in the background yelled 5 seconds to impact.
"Semper Fi, Marine." he said.
The line went dead.
Woody dropped the phone and murmured so only he could hear what he said.
"Semper Fi, Mr. President."
The Captains voice came back on the radio. "Marines! We're pulling back now! Lets go!"
Woodwind put his helmet back on and they all headed home. Only this time, his friends weren't under the command of a Sergeant, They were under the command of the new President of the United States.

*****