• ...
6
 7
 965

The battle begins

Everypony was staring at him as he continued to stand their, just looking at the Medal. Apple-Jack stepped forward.
"Is this what happens when gets one o' his flashback thingies?"
Rainbow Dash nodded. "Yeah, but this is the longest he's ever zoned out."
Teeny and Hair-line came outside.
"What's going on with him?" Teeny asked.
"He's remembering something." Twilight explained.
Woodwind finally looked back up at the others. "It's time to get ready for battle."

Cole was pissed, all the soldiers could see that, so everytime they saw him storm by, they worked three times faster. His second in command can running up.
"Sir, a storm is brewing over the first town in our path, they call it, Ponyville, and it's going to keep our birds grounded."
Cole looked even more pissed. "Well what else can go wrong today? Lets call this place target number one." He said looking down at the video tablet. He suddenly got a confused look on his face.
"What is that pink bubble expanding over it?" He asked.
The Soldier took the tablet back and studied the shield that now encircled the town.
"Hmm, thats odd. it wasn't their a moment ago. It looks like some sort of force field. Thats not good."
Cole slapped the tablet out of his hand. it hit the ground and smashed in two. "Oh you think, Sergeant? Damnit. send out the tanks. i want them to pound the hell out of that shield. Give everyone you can a rocket launcher. We're not giving up." Cole stated as he stormed off.
"Yes sir." The sergeant said as he motioned the tanks to roll out.

Twilight waved to her brother as the pegasi landed the chariot in the town square. "Shining Armor! It's so good to see you" She said as she galloped to him and gave him a huge hug.
"Twilly!" He said hugging back "It's so good to see you!"
"Hows Cadence?" Twilight asked letting her brother go.
"She's great, i'll tell her you said hi when i get back?" he asked.
"And give her a hug for me, too?"
"Shining Armor smiled. "Of course, little sis."
His look became more serious as Woodwind approached. "So your the-" He tried to search for the right word, knowing what he was, but decided to be respectful. "Colt who's leading this battle?"
"Yes, and you're the Captain of the Royal guard I hear." Woodwind stated. "I also hear you're quite good and conjuring up force fields."
"Best in Equestria far as I know." Shining Armor stated proudly.
"Can you set it up? I don't know how long we have until they come." Woodwind said gesturing toward the forest.
"Uh- yeah, no problem." He said and began the spell. His horn began to glow a bright blue. It became brighter and brighter until a beam of purple light burs into the air. It elegantly curved outwards at around one hundred feet and arched around the entire town.
"There." Shining Armor said out of breath. "Its ready. Should we start evacuating? I have enough Pegasi pulled chariots waiting to get the residents to Canterlot."
"Don't separate families but make sure the children get a seat first. They're the ones we need to protect."
Shining Armor and a group of guards ran from house to house evacuating the residents.
Just then a loud crack of thunder resinated through the air and the rain began to fall, running down the sides of the forcefield like water on a rock.
"Good. The pegasi have started the storm. Teeny, I want you to assist in the evacuation and provide protection detail."
Yes, sir. You can count on me." She saluted and headed for the opposite side of town.
"What do you want us to do?" asked Rarity as she and the others trotted up behind him.
"I want you six on the chariots out of here. It's not safe."
"No can do, Sugarcube." AppleJack said. "This here's our home an' we'll do whatever it takes to protect it. Right Big Mac?" She turned to her brother who was carting two wagons of apples.
"Eeyup." he said as he wiped the sweat from his brow with his massive front leg.
"Like it or lump it, pal, we're staying to fight!" Rainbow Dash said as she bumped her front hooves together. Rarity stepped forward now.
"I'm sorry, Dear, but you're just going to have to put up with us." she said running her hoof through her mane.
Pinkie Pie rolled over with her party cannon. "I'm not going no where either! We're friends! We gotta stick together!"
Twilight rested a hoof on the overzealous Pinkie. "Pinkie Pie is right. We're going to stick together no matter what. This is our home and we'll defend it to the end."
Woodwind didn't argue with the five. He knew they had every right to fight and he'd accept their help. "Ok, girls. Why don't you go and see if anypony needs help."
They all left. but Fluttershy stayed there, just looking at the ground.
"Fluttershy? You can leave to Canterlot you know." He told her knowing exactly how she felt.
"B-but, what will happen to you all?"
He sighed. "I don't know. Hopefully we'll be fine. But there's no shame in leaving if you're not up for this."
She reached out and gave him a hug. "Please, be safe. for me?" She pleaded.
A loud thunderous crack sounded through the air and an explosion rippled the shield. Woodwind flew up to the top and yelled to the royal guard soldiers, and anyone else who stayed behind to fight. "They're here! Everypony get to your stations!"
He flew back to Fluttershy. "If you're going to leave, it has to be now."
She let out a gulp and nodded. "I-i'm sorry I couldn't be much help." She said and frowned.
Woodwind pushed the hair from her eyes. "It's ok. You stay safe, ok?"
She smiled. "Ok. I'll be safe. good luck." She hugged him one last time and left for the carriages.
More tanks came to the edge of the Everfree forest and opened fire on the town. The forcefield was holding.
barely.
The town was in a panic as ponies raced for the evac. Fluttershy waited as families and foals were being loaded on and flown to Canterlot. She looked back to see the shield being barraged by explosions. It was beginning to buckle and crack under the pressure. "Oh please hurry." She said as she began to shift anxiously.

Cole had reached the tank line at the edge of the forest with the rest of the soldiers. He turned on his mic. "Soldiers, you know what to do. Rockets at the ready. We all fire together. That goes for you tank column."
Everyone and everything was aimed at the town. "Ready, Aim, FIRE!"

And with that, the loudest explosion to assail Woodwinds ears rocketed towards the force field. Despite shining armors best attempts to hold it. It exploded into tiny, purple magic fragments. Woodwind was distraught. The evacuation wasn't finished and the whole army was now rushing from the woods into the town. He had an idea. It was a long shot but he had a feeling it might work.
"Rainbow, You know how you told me about the sonic rainboom?" Woodwind asked joining her and the other pegasi working the storm.
"Yeah. What about it?"
"The force of your sonic rainboom should be enough to knock them off their feet and halt them long enough for the evacuation to continue. but it needs to be low enough to have an affect. Can you pull it off?"
Rainbow Dash smiled "I'm on it!" She yelled as she flew high into the sky, then bolted towards the ground.
This is what she was made for. Speed. and not just any kind of speed. Butt kicking speed.
She flapped her wings as fast as they could go. the ground was closing fast. She smiled. "HERE I COME YOU JERKS!" She yelled as air and light bent around her.

The resulting explosion was something Cole never expected. That one pony falling from the sky created a blast that sent him sailing thirty feet away, knocked his entire battalion to the ground, flipped almost every single tank ten feet into the air, crushing some unfortunate soldiers as they landed, and managed to piss him off ten times more than he already was. He stood and turned on his radio.
"I want this town now! Go, go. go!" He yelled.
All the troops charged for the town. the remaining few tanks thundered past and laid waste to the first few houses.

This gave Woodwind an idea. He flew to the Cakes now vacant restaurant . At least it would have been if Pinkie Pie wasn't their with her party cannon. As he opened the door, a stream of confetti and streamers shot inches above his head.
"Pinkie Pie?! What on earth are you doing here?!"
Pinkie Pie peaked out from behind the cannon and began stuffing it full of cupcakes and glitter now. "Duh! I'm protecting the Cake's bakery!"
Woodwind looked a little flustered. "Pinkie, we have to leave right now. This place we'll be flattened in minutes, and-"
He was cut off as the door was kicked down and two armed men entered.
"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" Pinkie shouted as she fired the cannon. Woodwind ducked as cupcakes and random party favors pelted the faces of the two soldiers and in the unfortunate case of the taller one, right in his eyes. He ran out of the building screaming and the other followed.
"THAT'S RIGHT YOU COWARDS!!! FEAR PINKIE AND HER PARTY CANNON!!! " She shouted to them from the door shaking her hoof in the air. Woodwind just rolled his eyes and continued what he came here to do. He grabbed a knife from the drawer with his mouth and cut all the gas line the kitchen and basement. He ran back upstairs, grabbed Pinkie, and jumped out the front door just as a tank came thundering through the bakery. Pinkie Pie began to tear up. "All my hard work protecting it wasted!" She began to cry hysterically.
The tanks turret began to turn towards them. Woodwind grabbed Pinkie and flew into the sky. He smiled. "C'mon you fool. Fire that gun."
The tank sent a shell into the air after them, and it missed by a long shot, But the flash from its massive barrel ignited the gas around it. engulfing it in a massive fire ball. The flash was visible throughout the entire town in the darkness of the storm. Pinkie Pie stared at the burning husk that used to be the bakery with her mouth hanging open in disbelief.
Fluttershy jolted back as she heard the explosion. They were getting closer, but then she realized. Why was she waiting for a ride? She had wings. She bolted into the air and flew towards Canterlot. it was good to be out of there, but something nagged at her. She kept thinking about her friends fighting and Woodwind. how could she just run off and leave them like that? She had to go back, but what could she do? She couldn't fight, or be any use to them. But she had to go back. For her friends.
For him.
She took in a deep breath and flew back towards town.

Woodwind returned to the ground with Pinkie to see nothing but chaos. The royal guard was engaging the soldiers and they weren't fairing to well. The humans opened fire on them, their armor useless, they fell to the ground wounded or dead. The guard moved in as close as they could, making their weapons useless. Their short spears cut into the flesh of the humans. Death hung in the town like horrible fog.
It was time to stop organizing. it was time to fight.
And he saw his target.
Cole was in the center of town, fighting off the guards with ease.
"Is that all you got? Taking your world will be a breeze with fighting like this!"
Woodwind scowled and shouted at him. "Here's your challenge, Cole!" Woodwind yelled as he slammed into him. The resulting fight was a flurry of fists and hooves. Cole smashed Woody's face into the cobblestone and Woodwind kicked him in the face, shattering his nose. Cole flew back in pain and Woodwind rushed in. Cole knew exactly where to hit him. As Woodwind rushed in, He used the butt of his pistol to smash the back of his neck. Their was a crack, but it wasn't bone. It was the chip keeping Woodwind in his current form.

To say what happened next was painful was understating things. "He felt his body slowly change at a molecular level. He screamed in pain as he began to grow fingers and toes, his face began to shrink and distort into what it once was, And his arms and legs began to grow.
After it stopped, he lay curled in a ball of the cobblestone, gasping for air.
Hair-line saw everything from where he was. Cole was about to finish the job when Hair-line jumped on his back and began repeatedly punching him in the face.
Cole was too strong for the smaller man, though and threw him to the ground. He got up and Woodwind stood as well, shaky from being used to walking on four legs for so long.
Hair-line looked over but looked away quickly. "Wow, dude, it's good to see you back to your old self but put some pants on, please."
Woodwind looked down to see what he was talking about. To his shock he was butt naked.
"Hair-line do you got any?" He asked blushing.
"In my bag." Hair-line said pointing at the sack on his back. "Woodwind quickly put the khacky shorts on.
"Glad you always keep an extra pair after you crapped yourself in Africa." He said laughing.
Hair-line looked a little angry, "Yeah, well, it helps to be prepared when your Sergeant is standing butt naked in the middle of town."
"Touche." He said and turned to faced Cole again.
Cole began to laugh. "So, can we continue this circus act you call a fight, or are you going to surrender?"
Woodwind had a better idea. "Lets make this interesting. Halt your armies and i'll halt mine. The winner of this fight decides the fate of Equestria. Deal?"
Never one to decline a bet, Cole called on his radio. "Halt the assault."
Woodwind smiled and yelled at the top of his lungs. "HAULT"
The armies stopped at once, and the pegasi stopped the storm. Cole looked around as the storm seamlessly ended by the sound of his voice.
"How in the world?" He thought shaking his head. But that didn't matter. All that mattered was this. Cole knew no matter who won, he'd begin the assault again. It was just going to be satisfying to have a little uninterrupted fist fight with his old friend.
Everypony gathered around whispering to one another and staring at the two humans who were about to have a world deciding brawl.
Unused to being his true self, Woodwind stubbled forward on his hind legs. This wasn't working for him, so he decided to go back down on all four. It still felt awkward, but better. Cole scoffed and flew at him at lighting speed. Woodwind side stepped and put his strong fist down on his back. The ponies cheered and hollered for the now human Woodwind. It was a sight to behold. Hundreds of humans trying to take Equestria, and one human standing to protect it.

Twilight had returned to the library to check on spike who was hiding in the storage room. "Spike! I need you to write a letter to the princess!"
Spike came out from hiding in shock. "You really think nows the best time to write a letter to the Princess?"
She shouted. "Spike just do it!"
"Ok, ok! What do you want me to write?"
Twilight cleared her throat. "Ahem. "

Dear Princess Celestia,

I hope all is well with the evacuated citizens of Ponyville, but i need you to help us. I need you to send the elements of harmony to aid in this fight. We can use their power to repel the invaders. I await your quick response.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle.

Spike rolled the letter and sent it on its way.
"It's sent. Now what?"
"Now?" she asked. "I guess we wait."
Fluttershy was almost back at town. It was too quiet. there was something wrong. Why was their no more fighting?
She pushed the first thought that came to mind away. Could they have all been killed?
She thought positively the rest of the way there. She flew faster this time. the town coming up quickly, and she saw why the town was so quiet. A human was fighting that monster Cole. But Woodwind was no where to be seen. Then it dawned on her, could that human be Woodwind? She had to hurry and find out.

Woodwind was at a huge disadvantage. He still didn't remember how to function in his old body. It was something he never wanted to experience again anyway. He was just a little bit smaller than Cole, but Cole still held the power in the fight.
Woodwind ducked as Coles massive fist flew over his head, and gave him a low kick to the legs. This sent Cole tumbling to the ground giving Woodwind his opportunity. He jumped on his back, smashing his fists into Cole's head.
Cole rolled and pinned Woodwind to the ground, encircling his throat in his mighty hands.
Woodwind was gasping for air, clawing at the hands on his neck. He took his fingers and dug them into Cole's eyes. The man fell back clutching his face, his left eye socket was gushing blood.
Woodwind stood and charged him again.
The cold blade of the knife sunk into Woodwinds soft belly. The breath was knocked from him and blood began to gush wildly. But he shakily kept advancing to Cole. Woodwind didn't realize how much the wound had slowed him down. Cole landed a jaw crushing blow to his face and Woodwind collapsed to the cold, wet cobblestone. He looked up at Cole through clouded eyes. He had his gun aimed at his head.
"Anything to say before you die?" Cole said as he cocked the weapon.
Woodwind just smiled. "I'll ask you that later." He said with a cool collectiveness.
Just then Rainbow Dash tackled Cole to the ground and quickly flew away before he could get a shot off at her.
He tumbled 5 feet and slammed his head into the fountain.
Giving Fluttershy enough time to come out of hiding to get to Woodwind.
"Oh no! What happened to you? Are you ok?" She asked helping him up.
He began to shake as she pulled the knife out. He let out a winded yip and shut his eyes tight.
He heard Cole advance on them. "Get out of the way, horse! I'll deal with you when I finish him!"
Fluttershy felt the fear rise, but she remembered what Woodwind had said.
"Those with fears, are stronger than those without."
She stood defiantly in between them.
"N-no! I won't let you hurt him!" She yelled.
Cole had had enough of this. He grabbed her by the mane and lifted her to his face level and pointed the gun at her. "You just made the biggest mistake of your life, you stupid little horse!"
"Put her down you gutless coward!" Woodwind yelled as he stood to his feet, covered in blood.
"You want her, Woody?" He yelled, as he chucked her at him, "Catch."
He threw Fluttershy at the wounded Woody.
Woodwind caught her and sunk to the ground.
Cole pointed his weapon at the two and fired.