• Published 25th Jun 2012
  • 4,775 Views, 163 Comments

The Word Became Ponified - ArthemistheSwordsman



Twilight finds herself in possession of a mysterious artifact: A Bible! What could this book mean?!?

  • ...
28
 163
 4,775

How 'HE' Loves

Fluttershy’s cottage was still, which was rather ominous. It normally had the sounds of various animals frolicking about. But this time, it was completely calm. All animal activity was calm.

Twilight did take heed of this, but didn’t let it deter her. She continued towards the front door. Whilst walking, she noticed that the curtains on the front windows were shut; again, not unusual, but still seemingly foreshadowing.

“Hello? Fluttershy, are you home?” She called through the door as she began to knock. With her knocks, the door creaked open. It was dark inside, as other curtains copied the setup of the front ones. There was a light shining through from the room to the left. Total silence continued.

“I’m coming in!” The unicorn declared as she slowly pushed the door open. She trotted nervously towards the light, the sound of her hooves pit-patting on the wood floors resounding through the darkened halls. When she reached the lit room, she saw Fluttershy, lounging on her couch with a single lamp on. The Bible was laying, open, on the couch before her, and she was reading it currently. But the most eye-catching component of this setting was the tissues on the floor; the pegasus had been crying recently.

“Fluttershy?” Twilight said meekly. Fluttershy flinched, clearly startled by her friend’s appearance. They met eyes, and Twilight noticed the pinkish tint in her friend’s, confirming her initial assumption.

“Oh! Twilight! I didn’t know you were coming.” Fluttershy said, regaining her composure. “If I had known, I would’ve picked up some of my mess…”

“What were you crying about?” Twilight asked politely, seating herself down on a nearby chair.

Fluttershy blushed. “Oh, you can tell?” She replied, giggling embarrassingly. “Well, it was this story. I found one here titled ‘John’ and it’s really interesting.”

“Is it a sad story?” Her friend asked, seeing an opportunity to figure out more about her mysterious book.

“Not really. It’s about a human named Jesus…” She began to explain, but then side-tracked and said “Yeah, humans! Isn’t that different? I mean, I didn’t expect this book to be of stories about mythical creatures!”

Twilight chuckled. “Yeah, I thought that at first too. Anyways, Jesus?”

“Oh! Right!” The pegasus resumed her original tangent. “Jesus journeyed throughout the land, teaching people about life. He would tell them not to worry, not to be afraid, and to be nice. He would also do what he taught. In fact, he’s probably the nicest person I’ve ever heard of. Maybe that’s why they used humans. I couldn’t imagine anypony being this loving to others.”

“I suppose so.” Twilight affirmed.

“He would also heal.” Fluttershy explained. “And it wasn’t just normal healing. He could make blind humans see again, and other great things! It was astounding, almost miraculous!”

“Really?”

“Oh, yes! But the most interesting thing was that he told other humans about God.”

At this, Twilight was perplexed. “Wait, God? Like, the guy who flooded the world?” Twilight inquired.

“I think so.” Fluttershy said, noticing Twilight’s shocked expression. “That confused me at first, but remember what I said before? That maybe God flooded the world except Noah, to save the good? I think that’s what happened, because the God Jesus taught about was loving, generous, gentle, and powerful. Jesus even said that he came from God and was his son.”

“That’s very intriguing.” Twilight replied. But something still bugged her. “So, why were you crying? The story sounds nice to me.” Twilight noticed that, after asking this, Fluttershy’s eyes started getting teary.

“Jesus…” she muttered between sniffles, “…was put to death.”

“Oh my gosh! Did he do anything wrong?” Twilight said with condolences.

“NO!” Fluttershy shouted passionately, shocking the curious unicorn. “He never did anything wrong! And he never, ever would! But a bunch of officials beat him, imprisoned him, and killed him!” With each line, her passion grew and her eyes got mistier. By the end of her exclamation, she was fighting back bawling.

Twilight walked over and embraced her friend, who cried on her shoulder for a few moments. She was also a bit saddened by the story, but mainly curious. There has to be a reason. Why would a group decide to randomly kill the guy who healed, them, taught them, and was innocent?

“But…” Fluttershy piped up, regaining her posture and wiping tears from her eyes with tissues. “…Jesus said he would be betrayed and killed. And also, despite his power, he let them kill him. It was almost like he planned it. So, I’m reading what happens next.”

Hmm, I obviously can’t take the book now, Twilight thought. I guess I’ll sit here with Fluttershy until she finishes reading.

As Fluttershy continued her story, Twilight tried to put the pieces together, especially the ‘son of God’ bit. So, his father flooded the world, and then sent him to teach and heal and love. And then, he gets killed as an innocent man, but he knows it and allows it? What the heck?!

Suddenly, Fluttershy squealed in delight. Twilight immediately ran to her friend’s side. She hadn’t seen Fluttershy this happy in a long time. Her smile nearly split her face, like a Pinkie Pie smile.

“What? What happened?” She asked the pegasus.

“Jesus isn’t dead!!” Fluttershy announced, ecstatic. “It says he rose from the dead! And he was just fine! Just like he said! That’s why he died!”

“What? What?” Twilight could hardly keep up. “Did something happen earlier in the story?

“Earlier Jesus said he was given to the world. Where was it? It was a really nice-sounding statement too.” She flipped back pages, looking for a specific part. “Here! Right here!” She point at one specific sentence. Twilight read it in unison with her euphoric friend.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

At this, Twilight had an epiphany that exploded thoughts in her head like a nuclear warhead: the ‘HE’ from the note was God!

What did ‘HE’ do? He gave his only Son! And he did it to give eternal life to those that were good! Because ‘HE’ loves the good! And ‘HE’ loves the world!

With this tangent also came frantic questioning. Was Fluttershy right? Did God flood the world to save the good, and later even give up his son for the good to have eternal life? And believe WHAT about Jesus? And that note: ‘HE’ did it for me, apparently. So, could that mean (Twilight shuddered at the thought when it first entered her head)…


Maybe the Bible isn’t fiction.


“Wow.” Twilight said, doing her best to hide her rampaging mental course. “That’s really interesting. At first, I thought the Bible was a book of fables and parables to teach good morals, but eternal life? And a son of an all-powerful being sacrificing himself for others to live? It’s got to be a reference to something, or some sort of code, or something! No fiction would go that deep into these kind of things!”

“Well, then, what does it mean?” Fluttershy asked timidly.

“I don’t really know. However, I know how to find out! “ The unicorn announced triumphantly. “The reason I came here was to pick up the Bible, because I was going to bring it to Princess Celestia to help me understand it. Now, I need to understand it more than ever!”

“Oh! Is it alright, I mean, if it’s not too much to ask, if I go too?” Fluttershy inquired.

“Absolutely! Pack some things, and we’ll head back to the library. Spike should have packed mine and his gear already.”

Fluttershy packed some travel gear, and the two walked towards the door happily. Twilight opened some of the blinds, letting the glorious noon sunlight into the once-foreboding darkness. The sounds of animal life had returned, and could be heard through the windows. However, the return of joy was stalled when the door was opened.

Rainbow Dash and Spike were outside, running towards the cottage. Spike had Twilight’s bag, and his face showed a sense of urgency.

“What in Equestria is going on here?” Twilight demanded as the two reached the front step.

“It’s an, emergency!” Spike gasped between breaths. “You’ve gotta, come, to the, library, now!”

“What happened?” Fluttershy asked, concerned.

“You’ve just gotta see it! C’mon!” Rainbow replied.

“Let’s go!” Twilight said, levitating the exhausted dragon onto her back. The three ponies began running back to the library.