• Published 10th Aug 2016
  • 2,199 Views, 30 Comments

My Little Gremlins - Turbo the Brony



Twilight and Spike get a Mogwai as a present with 3 important rules: Keep it away from bright lights, Don't get it wet and never feed it after Midnight. What can go wrong?

  • ...
2
 30
 2,199

Mogwai Mingling

“Repeat after me: Spike.”

“Spiky!”

“No, it’s “Spike”!”

“Spiky!”

Twilight giggled a little as she heard what was happening, while she was catching up on some more of her reading.

It turns out, two days after getting him as a present, that Spike was trying to teach Gizmo on saying their names, since the Mogwai knew how to say ‘Mogwai’ and his own, he was trying to help him say the dragon’s name and the others’ names too.

Unfortunately, since the mogwai was like a little baby, it was able to “Spiky”, instead of saying “Spike”, like with a ‘y’ instead of ‘e’.

“I told you, it’s Spike!” the dragon cried out, not to harshly so he wouldn’t upset it.

“Hoo.” Owlowiscious hooted.

“Me! Spike!” the dragon said as he turned to the owl, “And I’m trying to get Gizmo to say it, too!”

“Hoo.”

“Too! Not who!”

“Oh, Spike,” Twilight said to her dragon friend, who was groaning a little at how hard it is for the Mogwai to say his name properly, “Gizmo’s a baby, after all. Let him have time, and who knows, maybe he’ll finally get it right soon.”

“I suppose,” Spike said, as he then turned to Twilight, “but it’s quite cool that it’s able to speak, that’s why I wanted to see that I could get Gizmo to talk, that way my pet would be even more cooler than ever!”

Gizmo purred at that, while Twilight rolled her eyes a bit but smiled.

“Well, I suppose you’re right about teaching it,” Twilight said, as she then used her magic to bring up some of her books, including the one she was reading, and her reading glasses, “and guess school’s going to be in session for this little guy.”

Soon, many different books surrounded Twilight, Spike and Gizmo, as the two got to work.

Since while Twilight still lived in a castle, it was also still a library too, so there were plenty of different books for those in Ponyville to come by and borrow.

For Gizmo’s cases, there were a few filly books that they used to help Gizmo with his reading.

Though at one time, Twilight got her share of struggle too.

“Twi-la!” Gizmo chirped.

“No, it’s Twilight!” Twilight spoke out to the Mogwai, “Twi-Light!”

“Twi-la!”

Spike ended up laughing at that as Twilight groaned a little.

This was going to take a while.


Day 5 with Gizmo

Since they were given the rule of not feeding it after Midnight, Twilight and Spike had to make sure that Gizmo wouldn’t do anything to eat after that mentioned hour.

They decided to do a small test, as to have Gizmo come over to Pinkie’s to spend the night, and make sure if Gizmo did eat something after midnight or not, by leaving out a big tray of cupcakes, which Mrs. Cake called them “Raspberry Swirl Surprises”.

“Don’t worry,” Pinkie said, “I’ll make sure it doesn’t eat after midnight!”

Of course, when the two came back, they were surprised that Mr. and Mrs. Cake mentioned someone did eat the cupcakes after midnight… though it wasn’t Gizmo, but Pinkie, as the pink pony revealed that even when she tried to see if he wanted some (though while eating most of it herself), he refused every offer (that and she was the only one with the icing around her muzzle, thus explaining the Raspberry icing).

So it was decided that it was ok that they didn’t need to worry about Gizmo midnight snacking.

Though they decided to make sure Pinkie didn’t eat a load of Raspberry Swirl Surprises after midnight (which according to Mr. Cake, she was doing bouncing contests to see if she can make a new world record every time she broke one… only to break her bed).


Day 7 with Gizmo

Gizmo was having a small wonder around the castle once more, though while avoiding a few bright lights from the castle halls.

Until he saw Rainbow Dash in the library.

He noticed that he and the small Pegasus, Scootaloo, was with her, and they were busy reading a book.

Gizmo let out a small purr of curiosity, getting their attention.

“Oh, hey there, Gizmo!” Scootaloo said, as the Mogwai came up to them and looked to the book they were reading.

Rainbow looked down to the book also, and guessed the little guy was wondering what the book was.
“Oh, so you like to see what it is, do ya?” Rainbow said with a smile, as she lifted the book up, revealing the cover of a book that said ‘Daring Do’ on it.

“Daring… Do…” Gizmo said, trying to read it.

“Wow, Twilight was right about her and Spike giving you reading lessons!” Rainbow Dash said with amazement.

“Say,” Scootaloo said as she thought of something, “maybe Gizmo would like to read some these with us!”

Rainbow caught on to what her little sister figure said, and looked to Gizmo and pointed to the book as she asked, “You wanting to read this?”

Gizmo nodded a little, curious about what or who Daring Do was.

“Sweet!” Rainbow said with giddiness, as she then turned to Scootaloo, “Squirt, go see if you can get the first book of the Daring Do series!”

“You got it, Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo said, as she looked some of the Daring Do books that were on the floor next to them.

“If you want to know about Daring Do, you gotta know from the very beginning!” Rainbow said, as Scootaloo with the first book, ‘Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Statue’ entitled on.

Gizmo cooed at this, as Rainbow tucked him under her wing, as she began reading the book to him and Scootaloo (who didn’t mind reading the books again, as she had read them before with Rainbow).

Few hours later, Twilight and Spike came back to see Gizmo enjoying reading time with Rainbow.

“…And so the world was saved once again, thanks to Daring Do!” Rainbow Dash said, having finished another one of the Daring Do books.

“Daring Do! Daring Do!” Gizmo chanted with excitement, having enjoyed some of the books.

Seeing this, Spike looked to Twilight, who was a little worried about how this may affect Gizmo, what with the action moments from those stories, as he said, “Well, at least he’s enjoying reading time more than ever.”


Day 10 with Gizmo

During her usual visits to Ponyvile from her home in the Everfree Forest, Zecora came to meet Gizmo.

“This is Mogwai is quite a surprise, for I’ve not seen any before with my eyes.” Zecora stated with a rhyme, as she saw Gizmo, who gave her a chirp and a wave.

You really never saw a creature like this? Not even where you came from?” Starlight asked, as she was with Twilight to see the zebra.

“I’ve known Parasprites, Griffons, and Manticores too, but never, ever saw Mogwai in view.” Zecora explained, “A creature like this may have came from so long ago, how ones like these came from, even I don’t know.”

Soon, after speading time with Gizmo, Zecora left, leaving the others surprised as not even Zecora knew anything about Mogwai.

“As much as I hate to ask,” Rainbow said to Fluttershy, “do you think Discord might know anything about this little guy?”

“I’m not sure,” Fluttershy replied, “I’m afraid that Discord is kind of away for a while, so there’s no telling when he’ll be back so he can sort out this situation.”

“Guess it’s best we wait for now,” Starlight suggested, “I’m sure that by the time Discord comes back, he’ll surely help out with this Mogwai.”


Day 14 with Gizmo

The little Mogwai had come with Spike and Starlight to visit Rarity, who was stitching out some dresses for Fluttershy, Starlight and Sweetie Belle to try on.

When they were there, Angel Bunny and Opal were there too, as they, like the other pets of the Mane 6, got along so well with Gizmo.

As always, Spike was being Rarity’s assistant, while the fashion unicorn did her work.

While the fashion was all good, it was then that Gizmo began singing his song, and it was completely beautiful.

When hearing this, they believed that Gizmo was like a furry little angel.

“Aww, he’s just so cute when he’s singing, right Angel?” Fluttershy said, as she turned to her pet bunny, which he and Opal were busy listening to the song.

Sweetie Belle then got out an electric keyboard and placed it on Rarity’s desk next to Gizmo (who was sitting on the desk during the outfit tryouts, as she said, “I’ve never heard a song quite like that before,” she then asked the little creature with a smile, “could you show me which tunes to do it?”

Gizmo cooed as a reply, before singing one note at a time, Sweetie Belle following suite with the keyboard.

Then Gizmo did the full bit.

“Hmm, mmm… mm, mmm, mmmm, mmmm…” Gizmo sang, as that was how a Mogwai would sing.

Sweetie then copied the tune on the keyboard, though may had made a small mistake on the last note, in which Gizmo cutely shook his head a little as he pressed on the right key.

“Heh, very clever!” Spike said, seeing how well Gizmo was doing following his small lessons.

“Gizmo, darling,” Rarity said, getting the Mogwai’s attention, “I just want to say you are an absolute darling, that I made you this lovely bowtie.”

She then used her magic to bring the bow and tied in on Gizmo, as the it looked lovely on him with the small gems that were stitched onto it, earning a purr of happiness from the Mogwai.

“Now you look so smashing like my little Spiky-Wikey.” Rarity said, as she brought up a mirror to show Gizmo, as he looked quite happy with the bowtie on him, the others smiling.

Unfortunately, however, since they closed the curtains a bit, and had the desk lights on a bit, as well as the gems stuck on the bowtie, the reflection bounced a bit of small shine on Gizmo, who let out a squeal of panic as he stumbled over backwards, and into the small bin next to the desk.

The others realized what happened, and Spike instantly rushed to where Gizmo fell in, seeing his little feet shaking a little, and a squeaky voice crying out “Bright light!” was muffled within the scrapped paper in the bin.

“You okay, Gizmo?” Spike asked, as Fluttershy instantly got Gizmo out of the bin.

The Pegasus let out a small sigh of relieve, only to discover something, “Oh no.” she said, “You’ve hurt yourself.”

Sure enough, Gizmo had hurt his head upon landing in the bin, Fluttershy then turned to Rarity as she asked, “Do you have first aid?”

“Sure darling, it’s in the bathroom.” Rarity replied, before looking to Gizmo, “I’m so sorry, little Gizmo.”

Gizmo chirped a little, as way of saying that it’s alright, before Fluttershy flew to the bathroom, the Mogwai in her hoofs.

Soon they reached the bathroom and went inside.

“Ah! Bright light! Bright light!” Gizmo cried out, as Fluttershy realized that there were indeed lights on in the bathroom, in which she then went out of the bathroom for a second to turn off the lights, they came back in.

Once she got Gizmo on the counter by the sink, she opened the draws to get the first aid kit.

“Don’t worry, Gizmo, it’s okay.” Fluttershy said to Gizmo, who was whimpering from the bump on his, “I remember most of my animal friends having a boo-boo as well.”

“Boo-boo.” Gizmo sniffed, “Boo-boo.”

Fluttershy then placed the band-aid carefully on Gizmo, and then put another bandage around his head, “There you go, Gizmo, it’ll get better soon.”

She then gave Gizmo a soft kiss on the head, though while sniffing, Gizmo let out a small chirp as way of say ‘thank you’.

Spike, Starlight and the unicorn sisters looked to the scene, as it cheered them up a bit, knowing that Gizmo would get better soon.


For some time, in following days, Gizmo got along very well with the other ponies, especially the fillies and colts.

The pegasi were careful on their weather schedules when Gizmo is around, so they made sure rain times were set carefully to avoid the Mogwai getting wet.

Everypony were all quite surprised about Gizmo’s manners, as he was polite, kind, and even never begged or asked for something to eat when it was after midnight.

The pets got well with Gizmo too, as they made friends with the Mogwai during their pony/pet play dates with their owners.

Gizmo even called them by names he said, ‘Woof woof’ for Winona, ‘Meow meow’ for Opal, ‘Bun-bun’ for Angel, ‘Hoo-hoo-hoo’ for Owlowicious, and ‘tanky’ for Tank… Gizmo kind of knew how to saw Gummy’s name, but at times he called him ‘Toothless’.

The Crusaders had fun with Gizmo, while they obeyed the rules also, as they played dress-up, read with him and even played save games to play with him.

Twilight, Starlight, Moon Dancer and even Zecora enjoyed spending time with Gizmo, all the while writing things about Mogwai, since, according to Princesses Celestia and Luna, the libraries in Canterlot oddly enough didn’t have anything about them.

Gizmo would even learn a few things too, as he began enjoying reading comics with Spike, and even watch some TV as well.

Things were going quite well with Gizmo and his new friends… maybe even his new family…

Some time later, it was that time again as it was two weeks until Heart’s Warming, and most of Ponyville were decorating their homes.

At Twilight’s castle, the Crusaders had just finished another bit of Twilight Time.

“Can you believe that tomorrow will be the last of school?!” Scootaloo said, looking forward to spending the holidays, “I have so much planned for what I like to do with Rainbow, there’s skiing, ice skating, tobogoning…”

“Yeah, but don’t forget, Miss Cheerilie said we can bring something for all of us to do if we like,” Apple Bloom said, “what do you think we should bring?”

It was then that Sweetie Belle saw Gizmo and Spike, watching an old adventure film together.

“Be careful, Reggie, it looks impossible to take on!” the female character said to her love interest.

“Marian, my dear, nothing is impossible, as long as you believe.” The male protagonist said, as he then got into a racing kart and later, he took part of a race against the main baddie.

“Vroom-vroom!” Gizmo said, before pretending to be racing in a car himself, as he began making racing noises, while Spike chuckled a little at Gizmo’s fascination.

While they continued watching the film, Sweetie Belle got an idea and approached the two.

“Hey, Spike!” Sweetie Belle said, getting the dragon’s attention.

“Oh, hey, Sweetie Belle,” Spike replied, “what’s up?”

“Nothing much,” the young unicorn answered, “I just wanted to ask you something…”

“What’s that?” Spike said.

“Well,” Sweetie Belle as she asked, “would it be alright if we bring Gizmo into school with us to show the others?”

Spike as surprised a bit at that, but then looked to Gizmo with a little bit of concern as he said, “I don’t know…”

“Don’t worry, Spike,” Sweetie stated, “we all remember the rules, and we’ll be extra careful, and we’ll tell the others to do the same.”

Spike looked back to Sweetie Belle as she added, “And, if you like, you can come too to show them.”

The dragon thought about that for a moment, before looking back to Gizmo as he asked his little pet, “What do you think, Giz, want to meet the other kids at school?”

Gizmo chirped at that, seeing that as a sign that he wanted to come, Spike smiled as he said, “If Gizmo likes to come, then I guess it will be alright.”

He then got up as he then explained to Sweetie and the other crusaders (who had came in to see what was happening), “Just remember that I’ll be keeping an eye on this guy, and you should too, in case he accidentally gets into trouble.”

The crusaders nodded in agreement as Spike went off to tell Twilight, while Gizmo and the three fillies smiled at each other with excitement.

They believed that nothing would go wrong at school tomorrow… would it?