• Published 10th Aug 2016
  • 2,199 Views, 30 Comments

My Little Gremlins - Turbo the Brony



Twilight and Spike get a Mogwai as a present with 3 important rules: Keep it away from bright lights, Don't get it wet and never feed it after Midnight. What can go wrong?

  • ...
2
 30
 2,199

The Perfect Present?

“Starlight, what present do you and Sunburst think would be great for Twilight and Spike?” Moon Dancer asked.

As they were walking down the streets of Canterlot, Moon Dancer, along with Starlight Glimmer and Sunburst (who had both come up to meet with her), were busy with trying to find a nice gift for Twilight and Spike.

It was nearing the anniversary of when Twilight and Spike became best friends, some time after Twilight hatched him during her entrance exam.

Though while it was the anniversary coming, also on that same day was the usual royal summit between the Princesses of Equestria.

But right now, the three unicorns were having a hard time of what to get as a present.

“Oh, we’re still not sure.” Sunburst said as he answered Moon Dancer’s question, before speaking to her and Starlight, “what do you suggest that we might get for Twilight and Spike? Seeing how you two got along well with them.”

“Well, I was thinking about getting them a book, but, you know, I think it’s been taking care of since Twilight has a whole library full of them.” Starlight explained.

“I know, me too!” Moon Dancer said, “And since it had been a long while since I last got Twilight something, I think we should look for something very special.”

“Well we better get a move on,” Sunburst said, “there has to be a good place somewhere that might having good for them.”

The trio continued on their search down each shop, but they began to (a little bit) agree and disagree on the things that they had in the shops, but soon, following a quick lunch break at Donut Joe’s, the three unicorns were about to find somewhere else to look, when Starlight spotted an ally street nearby.

“How about we try down there?” she asked, as the others lookeddown the ally.

“I suppose it’s worth a shot.” Moon Dancer said, as they began to walk down the allyway.

Few minutes later, they arrived at a curio shop and went inside.

In the shop were various books, artefacts and items beyond anything that they had seen, though it seemed that there was still nothing that caught their eyes.

Just then a young colt with a scruffy mane and a cutie mark of a glove snapping it’s fingers with a star on top of it, who was busy working a bit, spotted them and called out to the other room, “Uncle Wing! We’ve got customers!”

The trio heard this as they turned to the young colt, then they heard the sound of clanging metal, and somepony saying, “Bother it!”, until a stallion, who was dressed up well with glasses and a chineigh pony’s hat on came in.

“What is it now, Top Trick, I’m quite busy at the-” the stallion said the colt named Top Trick, only to stop when he saw the three unicorns in front of him.

“Oh, hello there,” he said, “welcome dear travellers, my name is Mr. Wing, and I welcome you to The Mystic Shop.”

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Wing.” Starlight said first, as she stepped forward, “We were just looking around to find a nice gift for our friends, it’s nearing to their anniversary of their friendship and we were hoping you might have something good to give them.”

“I’ll be happy to help, everything in my grandfather’s shop is for sale,” Mr. Wing said as he went up to his counter, “please, fell free to have a look around, see what catches your eye.”

“Thank you so much.” Sunburst said, as the group continued looking, there were several items that looked interesting, such as an odd pendant call the Eye of Agamotto, a helmet known as the Fate’s helmet and a strange looking little golden ball that seemed to have wings.

“The Complete Guide of Anthropology” Moon Dancer read aloud the title of a book she found, “Hmm, not quite, but still a good present for Lyra.”

As Moon Dancer and Starlight came up to the counter, they suddenly began to hear some cute chirping, which a little bit sounded like singing, coming from a small box that Mr. Wing was taking care of.

“Aw, is there something in there?” Starlight asked.

“Indeed, my dear,” Mr. Wing explained, “inside this box contains a rare Mogwai.”

Mr. Wing then opened a small little hatchet on the side of the box, and the two unicorns looked in to see a fascinating creature like nothing they ever seen, Moon Dancer and Starlight were so touched to the creature called the Mogwai as it continued singing.

“A ‘Mogwai’?” Sunburst asked as he came up to the counter, “I’ve never heard of such a thing.”

“That’s because they are well unknown to all of Equestria, nopony knows where they came from, or how they got here, but they can be good companions with a good amount of care and affection.” The shopkeeper said.

It was then that Starlight gained a smile on her face as she said, “It’s perfect!” then she brought Moon Dancer and Sunburst in a huddle.

“What is it, Starlight?” Sunburst asked.

“I think we’ve found the perfect gift, we could give Twilight and Spike a Mogwai as a present!” Starlight explained.

“That could work,” Moon Dancer said, agreeing to that plan.

“You sure that would work?” Sunburst then asked.

“But of course,” Starlight said, “It could make a good companion for them, plus, you may not know, but Twilight and her friends each have a pet, and from what I’ve learned, Spike had a temporal one when he looked after a baby phoenix, so that could make a good pet for Spike, too!”

Moon Dancer nodded to this while Sunburst had a small thought about it, until he decided to go along with it, “Ok,” he said, “I suppose that could work.”

The trio then returned to the counter, where Mr. Wing was still caring for the Mogwai in the box.

“Mr. Wing,” Moon Dancer said, getting the shopkeeper’s attention, “we would like to purchase that nice Mogwai, please.”

The smile on Mr. Wing’s face slowly turned to a frown at hearing this, as he then said, “I’m Sorry. The Mogwai is not for sale.”

“Why not? I thought you said that everything in your grandfather’s shop was for sale.” Said a confused and baffled Starlight.

“Not all things are for sale,” Mr. Wing said as he explained, “Though while I appreciate the charitable costs, I’m afraid that most of the stuff here are far to dangerous to be sold, even at a high price. I made that small mistake once when I sold that Alicorn Amulet and regretted it for a while, so I can’t make that mistake again.”

As he left the counter and headed back to where he was before he then added, “With the Mogwai comes great responsibility. So I’m afraid I cannot sell it for any price.”

The trio looked a little upset about this, having come all this way for nothing, but while they thought about trying somewhere else, Top Trick looked to them, then to the Mogwai, then had an idea as he came up to them.

“Excuse me,” he said to them, getting their attention, “wait outside for a second, I’ll meet you there.”

Confused about what the colt said, the trio did as they were told and went outside, while Top Trick looked to the Mogwai, still in it’s box.

Mintues later, the young colt returned to them outside the shop, with the Mogwai now inside another box with him (carrying it with his magic), “Here you go, all packed up.” He said as he handed it to Moon Dancer, who then used her magic to lift it.

“Thanks, little guy.” Starlight said happily.

“What about your uncle? Did he change his mind?” asked Sunburst.

“Don’t mind him, much like my grandfather, he’s crazy sometimes,” the colt responded, as he held out his hoof, “you want the Mogwai or not, we need the money.”

“Oh we’ll take it, thanks.” Starlight said, as she and Sunburst gave some of their bits to the colt.

Before they began to leave, Top Trick got their attention as he said, “Listen, just to let you know, there are three rules that you gotta know.”

“What kind of rules?” asked Sunburst.

“First off, keep it away from bright lights, it hates bright lights, especially sunlight, it could kill it,” Top Trick said as he looked to Sunburst, “the second is that you don’t get it wet,” he said to Starlight, and then turned to Moon Dancer as he explained the last one, “and the most important rule of all, one that you must never forget, no matter how much it begs, or pleas, or cries, never fed it after midnight.”

“Ok, we got it,” Moon Dancer said, “thanks, and have a nice day.”

The trio thanked the young colt, and were soon on their way, they would need to get some wrapping paper, then when they head to Ponyville, they may have to do the wrapping before they get there in time to see Twilight and Spike.

They then looked to the box that the Mogwai was in, as they all had the same thought, ‘Hope Twilight and Spike like this present, though it is odd about the rules, how bad can this little guy be…?’