• Published 23rd Jun 2012
  • 1,550 Views, 23 Comments

The Bonds of Friendship - TalesFromEquestria



First MLP fanfic, and uses Human Ponies, Please Enjoy.

  • ...
2
 23
 1,550

The Surprises of College

The Surprises of College

Twilight had woken up extremely early. She found it hard to go back to sleep since today was her first day of college. Throughout the sleepless night, she went through all of her books needed for class, made sure they fit in her bag, and tried practicing 'Bring Light' again. Like the day before, it failed, but no explosion happened this time. For her apparel she chose a nice and simple skirt-sweater combo, easier to replace if another explosion were to happen in a science class. All preparations were complete.

The purple haired girl looked at the clock, two hours till her first class. She contemplated on going over her check her list, or making breakfast for a good ten, fifteen minutes before deciding she had time for both.

***

First to arrive at class, first to answer all the questions, and taking notes of every little thing the teacher said. She was squealing with glee, who knew college was so fun. She was enjoying all of her classes. Before she knew it, the last class of the day was only going to start in a few minutes. Theories on the Multiverse, the class she chose to major in.

As with the way of life all great things come to an end, and the end for Twilights fun came in the form of a 60 year old man who looked like he would drop your grade for even the slightest amount of noise. Twilight knew the importance of not judging a book by its cover, so she gave the old man some time to alter her perspective on him.

That hope was shattered when he placed a huge, probably 30 pound, book filled with worksheets on her desk "you have till next class to finish those Ms. Sparkle." Even his voice sounded like a grumpy old man's. "And don't think about doing them during class, I also urge all of my students take notes." That urge didn't sound like a suggestion.

"But Mr.Night, I-" the Element of Magic was cut off by a very grumpy, and snide response.

"I don't bide that letter from the Princess at all. The thing I hate more than anything else is horrible students like you. Students who think they can miss school, and and think they can forge a letter from the Princess to get out of doing late work are despicable. You may have the other teachers believing this little lie, but if it was up to me, I would have you expelled" As the words of the old man where spat out with poison, the black board seemed to transform into an endless void of nothingness, sucking away what enjoyment she had so far got out of college.

The poisonous words of the old man did not slide with Twilight. How dare he call her a horrible student! She graduated high school with a 4.0. She spent 12 years of her life studying many different subjects. Her SAT score was a perfect 2400! She would never forge a letter from the Princess in a million years, she was the number one person in the world that Twilight respected! And this grumpy old man dares to say she is a horrible student, and would try to use ! With a bolt of anger the purple haired girl shot up from her seat and spoke loudly, but not yelling at him. "I am NOT a horrible student! I haven't even been here to show you what I can do, and right off the bat you call me a horrible student?!"

"Horrible students don't show up for the first day of the new semester."

Twilight was turning red with anger as his words sunk in. "I had to move from my friends, get adjusted to life in Canterlot again, practice Alicorn level spells the day before, and you are accusing me of missing the first day of the semester from playing hookie?!"

"I don't care about your personal life, but any good student should be able to adjust to a new school. Now if you will, be a good student and sit down so I can teach this class that you missed the past week of."

Twilight calmed herself enough and looked behind her and saw the other students. A bit embarrassed about this she sat down, took out her notebook and pencil and took notes on everything related to class he had to say.

***

Twilight had never felt so relieved to be out of school in her life. Now she knew why some people hated college, with Professors like that, she would too. Would being the key word, other than Prof. Night, she was enjoying college. Surprisingly she took notes on everything he said, even his really weak theory on parallel worlds that she was able to poke more holes in then she had failed the Bring Light spell.

"Hi Twilight," a low and hushed voice came from behind, but Twilight didn't hear it over her thoughts.

She wished Fluttershy was here, she had the most to sympathize with, they both were in college, and she was the Element of Kindness. "Um, Twilight, you okay?" Again the voice was low and hushed, but this time Twilight heard it. She recognized the voice, but thought her mind was playing tricks on her. Even though she thought this, it didn't prevent her from investigating.

She turned around, and jumped back a bit before reality set in, the girl who was asking if she was alright was none other than Fluttershy. "F-Fluttershy! What are you doing here!?"

"Sorry for spooking you like that Twilight, but during class you looked angry, and well, I was hoping we could talk a little and complete the homework." Like always, pure sincerity was in the yellow winged girls voice, just like at Ponyville, she always wants to help others.

"Yeah, but that still didn't answer my question, why are you here in Canterlot, I thought you were going to the Veterinarian School in Ponyville?"

"I was, but, all of my teachers and classmates all held a fundraiser over the break, and they raised enough for the tuition, and well, I um, really didn't want to turn down their kindness, and that's, well, how I ended up here." Fluttershy was still speaking like she was demanded to talk to a whole school about something, something she will probably never grow out of.

"I see, so that's why you are here, well I guess by fate we are classmates again." Twilight looked at her friend, and smiled. At least she has a friend with her to survive hell. "Do you have anymore classes for the day?"

The pink haired girl shook her head, "But, later I do need to head to my dorm room and feed Angel bunny, Gummy, and Tank."

“Okay, it gives us time to catch up. And talk about other things as well.”

As the girls started walking towards Fluttershy’s dorm, the two talked about what had happened in the week that they had last seen each other. Twilight told her about how she missed all of the other Elements of Harmony, and how It took a week for her just to get ready and socialize with other people again. And Fluttershy talked about how she has been taking care of Gummy and Tank while Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie where traveling.

“So what’s the deal with Prof. Night? Is he always like that”

“Yes, according to the other students he hates everyone equally.” Flutershy’s voice sounded very weak when she said this, as if the Professor had destroyed some of her already low self-esteem within the few days he had been her teacher.

“Well that itself makes me feel better, at least he hates the world and not just me.”

As the two approached the dorms Fluttershy gestured for her to wait, and went into her dorm. A couple of minutes later she came back out, her hair a little messy, along with a small shoulder bag as she walked over to Twilight, nodding to signal that she had everything she needed

On the way to Twilights house, the two talked about old times. Like how the six of them used to study together. How Rainbow Dash would always make attempts to take off Fluttershy’s sweater, and how Pinkie Pie never left home without her party cannon.

“I swear you let Rainbow Dash get your sweater off of you. The effort you put into struggling was non-existent.” Twilight was giggling with some glee, talking with Fluttershy just proved how much she loves hanging out with her friends.

“I do try to resist, but she knows all of my weak spots.” The pink haired girl's voice was raised to normal talking volume, and her face was flustered and red.

“You two know each other way to much if she can do that.” Twilight was laughing, Fluttershy joined her seconds later, and their laughter filled the street they were currently walking down.

When they got to Twilights house they talked about their days in High School. The tests they studied for, how they had to spend extra hours helping Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash to understand the material. And through all of this, they still managed to get all of their homework done.

***

A few weeks had gone by since Twilight started college, and all had gone well. She had mastered Bring Light, and hoped the Princess would get some free time soon so she could demonstrate her progress and start learning a new spell. Prof. Night had realized what a wonderful student she is, though he still hated her guts. Fluttershy was putting in great effort to make sure Twilight wasn’t overworking herself.

Everything was running smoothly, having gotten into a decent routine, Twilight decided to take a quick break from studying to check the mail herself, letting Spike take some time off. Some of it was junk mail, but what interested her was the letter from the Princess, instead of sending it via Spike, she sent it via snail mail. It was what she had hoped for the past few weeks, her next lesson date. None of the other mail stood out except for one other. She had received a letter from Shining Armour and Princess Cadance.

With excitement she opened the letter eager to hear what her brother and stepsister had to say.

Dear Twiley,

Hey baby sister, how are you. I have heard through a letter from Princess Celestia that you have started college and begun practicing Alicorn level magic. I always knew you could do it, and I am glad to hear of your grades from Ponyville High School, Valedictorian. It seems you are on your way on becoming a truly powerful and responsible mage. I don’t think I can put it into words just how proud I am.

I will also like to say that within a week of you getting this letter Cadance and I will be visiting Canterlot, and have a surprise for you. Till then, don’t overwork yourself too much.

Sincerely,

Your older loving brother Shining Armour

Twilight smiled, she was going to see her Big Brother and Sister soon. So giddy with glee, she almost forgot to read the last part, a p.s.

p.s, Lightning Blade made an appearance in our court a few days back, he seems to have become a great gentleman, and his sword play has increased since we last saw him. Last I checked he was heading to Canterlot, he seemed glad to hear of your academic achievements and wanted to congratulate you himself.

"..." With a face of silent anger and despair Twilight crumpled up the letter and tossed it into the trash bin closest to her. The letter itself was good news, the p.s was something she never wanted to hear. She never wanted to speak to him ever again.