• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 740 Views, 32 Comments

The White Phoenix - Quick Fix



Faced with an unknown threat after themselves and Manehatten, Rarity and Sweetie Belle must don the detectives guise and pursue the criminal known only as The White Phoenix

  • ...
1
 32
 740

The Case Begins

December 28th


As we set out to begin this most vital case, I can't help but wonder what kind of pony would be driven to commit such acts. The bit thief could be for any number of reasons, for all I know it's just some poor homeless pony trying to fund needed medical treatment. The White Phoenix though...It takes something much, much worse, a sinister mind to do something like they do. Serious property damage is bad enough but ponies are being put in danger by their actions. There's only one place in this city for us to start and what it may lack in artistic flair, it more than makes up for inspiration.


This is how it begins, we much beseech the Manehatten police for any information they can spare on the phoenix and start our investigation faster than you can say-


"Another detective's monologue?" Sweetie Belle asked, giggling as Rarity snapped out of her somewhat vacant look and looked round her surroundings quickly.


"Well, yes. It would be nice to finish one though." Rarity replied, doing her best to regain her composure without anypony else noticing that slip. Fortunately that was relatively easy with how few ponies there were about, the air was still cold and a light drizzle was blanketing the city this morning. Uncomfortable as such weather was, it meant getting through the city streets was that much easier.


Deciding on their course of action over dinner last night had been relatively straightforward. On their own, they had no leads on either case. Going after the bit thief first would be going after the lesser crime, since they still had several months before things became more serious on that front and the stakes were a lot lower. Losing Manehatten Carousel would sting badly, but focusing on that would just be running down the clock before somepony was seriously injured, or worse, by the Phoenix's actions. Sweetie said that she still had her friend on active duty in the MPD, who hopefully could help them gather enough information to start, so that was where they were heading. In a weird way, Rarity couldn't help but be looking forward to flexing her mental muscles again.


"So, Sweetie Belle. I'm not sure why I didn't ask this sooner but, do you feel ready for this?" Rarity asked as she looked at her little sister, quietly gauging her reaction.


"Well I get to hang out with you, do some good for Manehatten, and I'm pretty sure my magic is back up to speed. Yeah I'm ready." She replied, shaking her neck from side to side slightly and looking disappointed that she didn't get any cool sounds out of it.


Satisfied with the response she'd gotten, Rarity simply continued trotting along the sidewalk. A small part of her wondered why Sweetie had talked Princess Twilight into teaching her to teleport when it took her about a week for her magic to be capable of doing it again. Still, it was one of those things that was better to know and not need. She put the thought aside for now as they reached their destination, the east precinct of the Manehatten Police Department. It was something of a small complex, taking up half a block with the main building a full four stories tall, though the need for such a presence was necessary when this building was responsible for the safety of a quarter of the city and third of the waterfront, as well as the main route in and out of the city.


"So just a thought here," Sweetie continued as they approached the front entrance. "Maybe we should loosen the detective look when we go in, at least until they know what we're trying to do?"


"Oh pfff!" Rarity half-snorted in response, looking over her detective outfit. "What self respecting policepony wouldn't look at this and see an investigator at work?"


"One that would look at this and see somepony shady looking?"


"Hmm..." While Rarity didn't sound happy about it, she did push her hat back so her eyes could be seen past it, even if it looked kind of silly with her horn sticking out at the front. Sweetie did the same and unbuttoned her coat slightly so that it wasn't done up to her neck. With that sorted, they headed inside.


The entrance area was bustling with activity as they looked round, even more so considering that the sizeable room had effectively been split into two receptions. The reception left of the central dividing wall looked more tailored for officers booking in criminals, more streamlined, slightly colder looking with it's simple paintjob of white with a blue stripe running the length of the walls at floor level, coupled with the fact that there were two desks, both of which had policeponies on both sides of them at the moment. The right side was more for civilians coming in for various reasons, lighter colours of yellow and silver adorning the walls, chairs set out with various tables and a water cooler, giving the feel of a calm waiting room. Most of the ponies in this area were here, either settled on one of the chairs while waiting or talking to the receptionist.


"So, how're we going to convince somepony to see us?" Sweetie asked as she looked at her big sis, watching Rarity blush her mane out of her eyes and magically adjust her glasses.


"The straightforward way, just follow my lead." She replied, her voice having the familiar charm coming back to it as she stepped forward into the waiting area on the right. More than a few heads were turned at their presence, though it seemed everypony had enough on their minds to keep from bothering them right now. After a minute the queue at the reception cleared and they made their way to the desk being manned by a light green earth mare with a frizzy orange mane.


"Good morning an-...Oh, Miss Rarity and Sweetie Belle," They said with surprise, recognising them instantly. "What can I do for you two today?"


"We're here because we'd like to talk to somepony about the White Phoenix case." Sweetie answered. It may have been her imagination but she could have sworn the atmosphere in the room had gotten a little tenser as she said that.


"I, see. Do you have information that could provide a new lead in that case?" The receptionist asked in equal parts caution and optimism.


"Actually, we were hoping to join the investigation ourselves," Rarity interjected, continuing before she could get a reply. "I do have criminal investigation experience, on a case involving the Wonderbolts no less. Sweetie Belle knows one of the officers here as well, she can vouch that we know what we're doing."


"Or she could be biased to take your side," The receptionist countered, Rarity looking a little surprised that it hadn't been that easy before adjusting her glasses, the familiar look of a pony who was about to pour on the charm coming through.


"I understand dearie, you have to play it safe in this kind of situation," She said softly, her voice disarming even at this age. "I can tell that everypony here wants it resolved soon though. I'm sure everypony would appreciate the extra help and the sooner the Phoenix is stopped the better. Are you really going to turn down a chance to end this sooner?" She waited for a moment, the look she was getting betraying that her words had got through.


"...However, if we had another pony present to oversee, it could be allowed. Who's your friend anyway?" The receptionist finally decided to finish with. Sweetie looked over at Rarity at the question and grinned. They had their in.


As the two of them made their way up the stairs further into the building, following a steel grey pegasus stallion dressed in the standard azure polo shirt of the MPD, both them were silently wondering at how this might go. Sure, they had managed to secure a meeting with the mare that Sweetie Belle had known since she was a filly but they hadn't had a real chance to be around each other for months, possibly years. She might not be the same either, the pressures of being a policepony AND a mother would be enough to adversely affect anypony no matter how much help they had. It was pretty much the only lead they had at this point though, they just had to hope that they could receive the support they were hoping for. They reached the third floor and headed through the quiet hallways, the stallion eventually leading them to a closed office door and knocking on it.


"Officer, you have ponies to see you." He called through, waiting a moment for a response.


"If it's Fresh Catch, tell him I'll be by for the oatcake when I have a day off." A mare's voice with a distinctive Manehatten accent replied.


"Actually they're from Ponyville, and one of them is Rarity."


"Rarity?...Send them in." The pegasus nodded and opened the door, stepping back to let Rarity and Sweetie step into the room.


The office itself didn't exactly stand out, a potted plant in one corner, a bookshelf in another, a desk along one wall and a collection of training certificates and medals on the opposite wall next to the window. Of more interest was the pony sitting at the desk, watching them enter with dawning happiness. An orangey-brown earth mare with observant green eyes, her mane was light red with pink streaks and styled back into a short ponytail and bangs. Her muzzle was slightly crooked to the left, broken in a fight while on duty years ago. As she stood up her cutie mark became visible, a round, white shield with a blue, four point star at the center. While Rarity didn't really recognise her immediately, Sweetie trotted forward with glee in her eyes and threw a hoof out in greeting.


"Hiya Babs!"


"Sweetie Belle!" Babs Seed replied with equal happiness, quickly trotting over and hugging her old friend. "If I'd know a crusader was coming I'd have made this place presentable. I'd ask how you've been but, I saw how."


"I know, me too." Sweetie chuckled, remembering seeing her all kitted out in white at the stadium that night.


"Yeah, I was singing along with the rest of them out there. I dunno what the Equestria Today was thinking when they slammed your performance," All three of them paused slightly, letting the awkwardness of that moment pass before Babs shook her head slightly. "So, what brings you here?"


"They want to brought onto the White Phoenix case as, well I guess they'd be private investigators," The pegasus officer answered, shutting the door behind him as he came in. "We're to judge if it should be allowed."


"Okay, cool." Babs quickly slipped back into her professional attitude and stepping back behind her desk. After a moments rummaging in one of the drawers she brought out a folder and opened it up, taking a quill from the inkpot on her desk and starting to write down details while the pegasus stepped up next to her.


"Okay, so first question. Do either of you have any prior experience?"


Sweetie sighed to herself as Rarity started answering. The paperwork was always the most boring part and even with her joining in at times, this was going to take a while.


With the impromptu interview over and the results being looked over. Rarity and Sweetie Belle had been moved to what looked like a briefing room on the first floor. It was incredibly dull to wait in and reminded Sweetie a lot of the Ponyville Schoolhouse, with a dozen or so desks that reminded her a lot of her fillyhood one facing toward a blackboard and main desk. She was even passing the time in a similar way, trying to see if she could settle on one of the chairs and fall asleep in the same positions she used to in class. Rarity watched as she did, torn between scolding her for her behaviour and simply appreciating that she was trying to ease the wait.


"So," Rarity finally said, giggling slightly as Sweetie acted like she'd been shook awake before looking at her big sister. "What do you think we should do if we don't get any help here?"


"Wait until the Phoenix strikes again and hope that we can reach and study the scene of the crime before the police do?" She answered, her tone not making it clear if she was kidding or not. Rarity looked down for a few seconds, trying to think of how to respond to that, when the room door opened and Babs stepped in. She was now wearing a leather bomber jacket, carrying another folder under her arm and looking more cheery than ever.


"So, good news and better news. Which do you want first?" Babs said as she placed the folder down on the front desk and waited for the other two to come over.


"Good news, puts you in a good mood for the better news." Sweetie replied, adjusting her hat so she could see better.


"Good news, the powers that be have decided to take you onto the case," Babs paused as Sweetie gave a whoop of joy and hoofbumped Rarity's shoulder, knocking the older mare a step sideways in surprise. "The better news, I've been assigned as your liaison officer."


"Well that's, good." Rarity said as she regained her balance, watching as Babs looked like she was barely containing her glee.


"Good? It's fantastic! I'm finally getting to do some real police work again, and with you two to boot! I always get stuck with either office jobs or some posting so safe I may as well not be there."


"Oh dear, why in Equestria would they do that to you?" Rarity asked, not knowing the same details that Sweetie Belle did.


"Because of the time I took on three ponies at once while I was pregnant. Chief doesn't like me taking risks anymore." Babs replied, tapping her crooked muzzle as she did. She didn't seem to mind too much as she opened the folder up.


"Right, so, to business. What are we looking at?" Sweetie asked to try and get things back on track. Babs pushed several papers and a pair of photos over to them.


"About a dozen fires over the past few months, all over the city, no pattern as far as we could see yet. Both the fire department and us didn't think there was any method to it until the seventh incident when we found this," She moved the first photo forward more, showing it was of a crude painting on a slightly burned wall, despite the sloppiness it was unmistakably in the shape of a phoenix rising in flight and all done in white paint. "Our investigators on the previous scenes realised that damaged versions of this had been seen at previous crime scenes, though nopony is quite sure how far back it goes. That was how we ended up with the White Phoenix."


"Hmmm," Rarity took the picture in her magic and studied it carefully. "Has the paint been analysed for its brand?"


"Yeah, Durlock. Doesn't help though, there's at least eight stores that sell it in east Manehatten alone."


"So...Can you make anything out?" Sweetie asked, letting Rarity apply her keen eye for detail as best she could. After a few moments she put it down again and pointed intently.


"Look at the way this paint is laid. It's rough and patchy, no precision whatsoever. Speaking from experience when I was renovating the boutique, this likely means that it was done by hoof. In other words, the White Phoenix is most likely an earth pony or pegasus."


"Maybe, but that's not enough to rule a unicorn out entirely," Sweetie Belle interjected. "If it was done by hoof on a wall, wouldn't it leave something that would give it away? Or the pony could be spotted in the area with white hooves?"


"They accounted for that." Babs said, bringing the last item out from the folder. It was an evidence bag containing half a sock, the lower half burned away. Clearly the Phoenix used various hoof covers to keep from leaving DNA on the crime scene. Sweetie looked at it with some degree of confusion.


"But, wouldn-"


"We got nothing from it, they must have worn something underneath that as well."


"So in other words. We're working against somepony who knows what they're doing and have practically nothing to go on...So what do we do now?"


"At a guess," Babs looked over all the evidence and sighed slightly. "Bring you along the next time the Phoenix strikes and see if you can find something we've missed." She looked up at the sound of sudden giggling, seeing Sweetie doing her best to try and stifle it. Rarity looked at her younger sister with some confusion.


"Sweetie Belle, are you psychic?" She finally asked, getting an equally confused look from Babs for it. "Sweetie Belle said before you came in that we'd basically be doing that if you wouldn't help us." She explained, watching as Babs glanced over at her friend before chuckling herself.


"Yeah, I'd probably be wondering that too."


Sweetie smiled to herself at how this was going. They had a lead, and a friend to help them make something of it though. As she watched Rarity lift all the papers and photos up in her magic, holding them close while she studied each one, a small part of her was worried. She'd seen this glint in her sister's eye before, a drive to fix her problems before it got out of control. The trouble was, this could take a lot longer than the ones she was used to, and somehow it was doubtful that her focus was going to wane over time. Sweetie could only hope that they came up with something new soon.

Author's Note:

So, this was actually the first chapter I wrote after completing I Knew Him and realising I actually could do something more with my writing. Chapters are probably going to be a little slower from now but I feel like I can do more with length and quality. Thoughts?