• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 740 Views, 32 Comments

The White Phoenix - Quick Fix



Faced with an unknown threat after themselves and Manehatten, Rarity and Sweetie Belle must don the detectives guise and pursue the criminal known only as The White Phoenix

  • ...
1
 32
 740

Return to Manehatten

December 27th


"You're absolutely sure you've got everything you brought?" Rarity asked for the sixth time as she darted around the boutique, checking that she'd gathered everything she needed for the three suitcases sitting near totally packed.


"Yes sis." Sweetie Belle replied with good natured weariness for what felt like the seventh time, rolling her eyes as she looked back at the saddlebags she was wearing. A small part of her was glad that the bad news had come on Hearth's Warming Eve considering the way Rarity had been moving for the rest of the day, organizing everything needed for the boutique to handle her being away for up to several weeks. Briefing her assistant, Blue Bobbin, on running the store, a rush of ideas to look over when she got back, even preparing as much of her next season's line as possible. Hearth's Warming itself had seen her cool off slightly and enjoy the holiday again, though by nightfall she had been out booking their tickets for a train back to Manehatten.


"Okay, okay. Good, I think we're ready," Rarity commented, closing the suitcases up and passing Sweetie a black trench coat and matching black trilby hat with a wide brim and purple band running round it's width. "You'll need these."


"...Why?" Sweetie asked slowly as she took the clothes and looked over them closely. Rarity stared at her for a moment before chuckling softly.


"Sweetie, darling, we're going into the dark underbelly of the glorious city of Manehatten, us against the mean streets and whatever they may hide. We have to keep up an aura of mystique, maintaining our cover for as long as possible. The White Phoenix and the pony draining our bits will both be expecting somepony to come after them, we cannot allow them to find out that we're on their tails until we are close enough to strike, bring their machinations to an end, and secure a brighter future for the greatest city in all Equestria!"


By the time she finished speaking, Rarity had gone into full dramatic mode, complete with flourishes and fitting tone of voice. She held her final pose of holding her hoof out in a sweeping motion, grinning with determination, before stopping and looking back at Sweetie Belle, who was trying her best not to laugh.


"Sis, you've been reading Shadow Spade again, haven't you?" She finally asked, making Rarity blush and hurriedly attempt to regain her composure. "It's fine, as long as we stay on task then I can work with the great Detective Rarity."


"Thank you," Rarity replied, smiling softly as Sweetie Belle put her hat and coat on. "Could you nip down to the station and make sure the train is still on time? I'll just do a final check here and be right there."


"Of course. I'll see you soon." Sweetie adjusted her saddlebags underneath her coat and set off, heading out onto the Ponyville streets.


There had been some more snowfall during the night and the pathways were covered by a thin layer of snow with some icy patches. Sweetie carefully padded her way through the more treacherous sections near the edge of town and headed for town square, figuring the paths would be clearer there and thus be a quicker route. Most ponies were still at home even if it was midday, staying warm and with family. With things as quiet as they were, it wasn't long before somepony noticed her and came over quickly. It was Scootaloo, looking rather cheery and fluttering her wings regularly, as if extending her steps with a constant small hover. As far as flight went, it was more than Sweetie Belle had ever seen her manage and she couldn't help but smile at the sight.


"Hi Sweetie Belle!" Scootaloo called as she reached her friend, putting some extra flap in to hop over the back of the tall unicorn and land on her other side, just about avoiding slipping. A small part of Sweetie wondered just how effective her appearance was at disguising her identity but dismissed it in this case since it was one of her oldest friends, it was hard not to be noticed by somepony who knew you better than you knew yourself.


"Hey Scootaloo, your lessons are really coming along huh?"


"You know it! I managed to hover at flag height for a few seconds the other day." Despite the pride in her voice, Scootaloo was panting slightly as she said it. Even that much effort to keep airborne was taking more out of her than she cared to admit.


"Seriously? That's amazing! I really hope this ends up being the breakthrough you were hoping for."


"Me too, it's been hard not to just tell everypony in town. Speaking of, have you seen Apple Bloom?"


"Hmmm," Sweetie Belle stopped and tapped her chin with her hoof for a moment, raking her brain for the actual last time she had seen the other crusader. "No, not since the Hearth's Warming party. I wish I'd had a chance to say goodbye to her as well."


"You're going home already?" Scootaloo asked, stopping and looking at her with disappointed surprise.


"Yeah. Sorry, Scootaloo." She replied as apologetically as she could, judging that it might be best not to explain how bad things were until it was under control. "We've had...An emergency come up. Me and Rarity need to get to Manehatten post-haste."


"Okay. Well, it was good to see you again," Scootaloo cracked a small grin and put her hoof out, Sweetie quickly returning the hoofbump. "Cutie Mark Crusaders for life."


Sweetie followed up the hoofbump with a quick hug before waving farewell and continuing on her way toward the train station. It felt weird only getting to see her fellow crusaders for such a short time and she made a mental note to have a proper get together with them the next time she was back in Ponyville. It was a quiet trip the rest of the way there and before long she entered the station, checking over a billboard that listed the train times as she did. The Manehatten train was due in about fifteen minutes, right on time. All that was left to do was wait for Rarity to arrive and hope she wasn't so tied up with last minute details that she missed the train. The platform was deserted as she made her way out there, another small bonus since she didn't really want to deal with too many fans noticing her before she even got back to the city.


Several minutes later, Rarity arrived with her suitcases. She had taken a similar outfit to the one she'd offered, a persian blue fedora with a silver band round it and small cutout at the front for her horn, along with a dark red gannex coat. While she had never read the Shadow Spade books herself, Sweetie Belle was sure that her big sis was the spitting image of the titular pony. Both of them were silent for some time, keeping to their thoughts about just what was waiting for them when they started getting serious. Before long the train to Manehatten arrived and they boarded, settling down in the middle carriage and getting comfy, it was going to be a few hours trip.


As their train wound its way through the snowy Equestrian east, Sweetie soon finished the book she'd brought for the ride, got bored and wandered off to find the food cart, maybe sign some autographs if anypony on the train recognised her. Rarity leaned back in her seat once she was alone and stared out the window, a small part of her regretting the fact that she was doing this alone. Well, not totally alone with Sweetie here, but this was her first visit to Manehatten in a long time without having one of the other Elements of Harmony for company. She made a quick mental note to look at a few libraries while she was there and then make a day of it with Twilight Sparkle sometime next year. For now, she just had to relax herself and get into the zone for her big investigation.


I've seen some things in my time, many of them pleasant, but when things get bad enough that I need to bring my investigative skills out, it never ends well for somepony. It's been twenty-one years since I last brought the coat and hat out, saving the career and dreams of my friend Rainbow Dash, this time...The stakes are even higher. Manehatten is being held hostage by a mastermind known only as the White Phoenix and, just as bad, my business within the city is being robbed blind by some deviant. Call it a hunch but, I think the two are related.


This will doubtless be the most difficult case of my life. I wont be alone in the matter though, my sister Sweetie Belle will be dipping her hooves into the life of an investigator with me and she has...contacts. I have a lot more to work with, more than enough to get to the bottom of one of these cases. No matter if I find the bit thief or the arsonist first, that culprit will lead me to the other soon enough. I may be more of an old mare than I was back in the day, but my mind is still sharp, my eyes can still catch detail and my drive is sure this case will be solved. Or my name's not-


"Rarity?"


Rarity jumped slightly as she snapped back to reality, looking away from the window. Sweetie Belle had returned with a soft drink and was watching her with an air of wariness as she sat down again.


"Oh err, yes dear. Just mentally preparing myself."


"O...kay," Sweetie shook her head slightly, shrugging it off. "So, I was thinking we should get a carriage to my house with all the suit cases you've got. You want me to handle the bits?"


"Oh nonono, I'm not personally short, Sweetie," Rarity shifted slightly awkwardly as she fished for another reason not to take advantage of her sister again. "I'll handle all the funds while we're here. Consider it another make up for my insensitive moments when you were growing up."


"Hmmm...Well, I suppose I can consider this even for the Winsome Falls camping trip." Even if she looked like she was trying not to remember, the good natured tone of Sweetie Belle's voice made it clear she didn't hold it against her sister. Rarity chuckled softly and nodded, looking out the view again as Manehatten began to come into view. Already her mind was going back to how she was going to approach her investigation, but she'd have to see just what exactly was waiting for her in the big city before coming up with a full plan.


The arrival at Manehatten Central Station had gone smoothly enough, as had finding a taxi carriage considering it was still mid-afternoon. They'd needed to leave themselves noticeable for several minutes and only two ponies had stopped Sweetie Belle for an autograph, one had even asked Rarity for one. As they managed to get a taxi and clambered in, the driver pony looked back at them, eying them up for a moment.


"Hey, you're Sweetie Belle ain't you?" He asked, waiting until she nodded in affirmative. "I read about your concert show. I mean I know it's a classic but come on, you could have done a better job with it. Then again, you're no Rara anyway."


"Oh..." Sweetie replied quietly, looking away.


"You wouldn't have happened to read about it in the Equestria Today would you?" Rarity replied, eyes narrowing slightly as he nodded in reply. "Hmmm...Number five, Hayway Road, please."


Sweetie gave a weak sound of confirmation as she rested her chin on her front legs, looking rather bummed out at such blunt criticism. It always stung so much worse to hear it in person. Rarity placed a supportive hoof on her back and rubbed gently, trying to help her out of her funk. The trip was made in silence, the only sound being of the driver's hoofsteps and the carriage wheels beneath them. Despite Rarity's best efforts, Sweetie still looked rather depressed as they reached Hayway Road, a notable spot in Manehatten for actually having two story houses instead of apartment blocks.


The carriage stopped outside the indicated house, a simple red brick construction, and Sweetie hopped out quickly, lifting all their bags out the back while Rarity paid the taxi pony. That done, they took their things and trotted up to the door, Sweetie digging the key out from her saddlebags and unlocking it for them. The entrance hallway they stepped into was simply decorated with a small cabinet by the door for mail to be placed on, doorways to the living room and kitchen on the left side, the stairs to the next floor on the right. Sweetie picked up the letters that had arrived while she was gone and went through to the living room while Rarity went upstairs to unpack in the guest room. No doubt she'd be using it to compile all the details of her upcoming investigation as well.


Sweetie placed her saddlebags down on a hanger in the living room and flopped down on the sofa, glancing down at the plush carpet before looking through the letters she'd received. While two or three of them were bills, the rest looked like they were fan mail from fillies and colts in the city. She flipped one open and started reading, a small smile coming back to her face as she read through it as she saw it was overwhelmingly positive. A sudden thought came to her, ultimately, all these ponies who looked up to her singing as a source of happiness, none of them were totally safe as long as The White Phoenix was out there. Sure the mysterious figure had limited their attacks to unoccupied buildings so far, but what was to stop them from letting ponies get hurt, or worse. In that moment, she knew she'd made the right decision in coming back to help Rarity bring them to justice.


"So," She heard Rarity asking from the door, looking up to see her sister had deposited her coat and hat somewhere. "Oh, good to see you smiling. I was just thinking, what should we do first? You know the good city in it's current state better."


"Well..." Sweetie thought for a moment as she stretched out slightly and opened another piece of fan mail, ignoring the disapproving tut she got from Rarity over how she was taking up three seats. "It'll be sunset soon, though most shops will still be open. I say we just go shopping for some basics for now and get started on our plans tomorrow."


She broke into a small grin at what she could do to speed things along, first thing in the morning.


"And I know just where to start."