• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 740 Views, 32 Comments

The White Phoenix - Quick Fix



Faced with an unknown threat after themselves and Manehatten, Rarity and Sweetie Belle must don the detectives guise and pursue the criminal known only as The White Phoenix

  • ...
1
 32
 740

Prologue

Ponyville
September 14th, Year 1 under the Four Princesses


The night air was alive with energy, a marked change from the usual sense of calm that blanketed Ponyville at this time of day. The heart of this vigour was based just outside of town, the site of the Helping Hooves Music Festival, an event set up to help raise awareness for Equestria-wide causes. Anypony who had been present tonight couldn't deny that the first night had been an unmitigated success, even as the final act was wrapping up the stands were still at near full capacity. Ponies were starting to make their way home by now though, right now another group were just leaving, a trio of blank flanked fillies minded by family.


"You sure we can't just stay to the final song?" Apple Bloom asked, looking up at Big Mac as innocently as she could. The stallion looked back down at her and chuckled before shaking his head.


"Nnnope."


"I know I would have stayed for the whole show but, when a filly's done, you gotta be done with her." The second stallion in their group added, a brown pegasus with a dark purple mane, a spark in his green eyes and a megaphone cutie mark. His name was Fever Pitch, but the others knew him better as Scootaloo's father. Scootaloo herself was draped over his back, fast asleep, Fever's wings extended slightly to keep her from falling off.


"Exactly. We can't have our little superstars missing out on some of their beauty sleep, especially when they'll be dreaming about it as soon as they're asleep." Rarity finished, ruffling Sweetie Belle's mane to try and distract from the pleading look the little unicorn was wearing. Sweetie held it for a minute before finally relenting and turning to go.


The sound of rushing hoofsteps behind them gave the group pause and look back, seeing a familiar earth pony coming up to them, light aquamarine of coat with shining green eyes, curled mane and tail and a cutie mark of five colourful notes around a star. It was none other than the headliner of the whole festival, Coloratura, or Rara, as everypony was calling her now. As she reached them she stopped and took a quick breath, looking like she'd been running for a while.


"Oh good, I was worried you might have left already." Rara said as she got her breath back.


"What's wrong, Rara?" Sweetie asked, watching as she looked back at the filly and smiled softly.


"I was hoping to talk to you while I had a chance, Sweetie Belle. Now would be the best time, since I'm going to be swamped with all my managerial work from tomorrow."


"Oh, okay." Sweetie Belle nodded and turned back toward Apple Bloom. "I'll tell you about it at school tomorrow, promise."


"O-okay." Apple Bloom replied, unable to hold back a yawn as she started to head back toward town with Mac and Fever. Rarity stayed in place as Rara sat down in front of Sweetie.


"I just wanted to say that, I've heard a lot of fillies and colts sing at your age and you, you definitely have some genuine talent."


"Oh..." Sweetie looked away nervously and tucked herself behind Rarity's tail. Rara looked at her in surprise before looking up at Rarity.


"Sweetie Belle normally struggles with singing in front of crowds. Poor dear just can't summon up any confidence." Rarity explained, patting Sweetie's head reassuringly. Rara nodded and moved down to be eye to eye with the filly.


"Sweetie, listen to me. When I was your age, I was scared to sing in front of others too. When me and AJ were at Camp Friendship together, do you know many ponies were too many for me to handle without her supporting me?"


"I...No." Sweetie answered slowly, poking her head out slightly. She'd been too caught up in the rush of what had happened earlier to let her fears take hold then but now, she felt like she couldn't open her mouth in front of a group. Yet here she had the biggest pony pop star in Equestria saying that she had been the same, how bad had she had it?


"Ten," Rara smiled gently. "I needed the support of a good friend for just that many. You had two in Apple Bloom and Scootaloo back there, but even then I could see the shine in your eyes, the look of a filly who genuinly enjoyed what she was doing. In front of hundreds of ponies no less. I honestly think you have a talent for this, maybe even a cutie mark in the near future."


"You, really think so?" Sweetie asked nervously, her crusader side giving her the drive to come out again and look up at Rara, who was still wearing the most reassuring look possible.


"I do, all I ask is that you give it some thought. I'll let you go for now though, have a good night."


"You too darling." Rarity said happily as Rara stood up again and moved to head back into the festival grounds, waving farewell as she went. Sweetie Belle waved back to her before she and Rarity started back toward town.


The filly's mind was racing as she walked, dispelling any tiredness she had been feeling. Much as she had tried to keep from thinking about it, she couldn't deny that it hadn't been as bad as she'd feared when first told she could do it. Cutie Mark Crusader Singer had always been something she'd tried to avoid due to never believing she could do it, but everypony seemed to have faith in her ability, now including one who knew about such skills better than anypony. Maybe, even if she didn't feel up to it yet, it could be something she really did have a genuine talent in.


Maybe it was really was worth a shot at getting her cutie mark in.