• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 740 Views, 32 Comments

The White Phoenix - Quick Fix



Faced with an unknown threat after themselves and Manehatten, Rarity and Sweetie Belle must don the detectives guise and pursue the criminal known only as The White Phoenix

  • ...
1
 32
 740

Friends and Family

January 15th


After what felt like months of chill, winter was finally beginning to draw to a close. The Manehatten weather ponies had started to clear the snow out from the area and a pleasantly warm morning was now breaking over the city. The general atmosphere had steadily been feeling better as well. Despite the latest act of The White Phoenix, the MPD had announced that developments from the crime scene had allowed them to start narrowing down suspects, something that ponies were happy with since it sounded like much needed progress after months of silence. They were that much closer to bringing the Phoenix to justice and securing the safety of Manehatten once again. Yet for some, it still wasn't enough.


Rarity tutted to herself as she paced round her bedroom. It had been nice of Sweetie Belle to give her the second bedroom but it could have been a little bigger, she couldn't fit all her latest inspiration for fashion designs and her case notes in here at once. She had already filled one wall completely with the details of the investigation, a massive web of connected details, theories, suspects and speculation on how any of this might be connected to the bit thief. It was easily a match for anything the police would have set up and yet, she just couldn't see anything that might lead to a breakthrough. It was infuriating, feeling like she had been making progress only for it to be brought to a screeching halt just like that. She gave a frustrated sigh and sat herself down on her bed, staring at the wall intently through narrowed eyes.


When I took on this case, I knew that it was going to be difficult, but I had no idea just what I was letting myself into. The White Phoenix is far cleverer than I anticipated, leaving minimal trace. All the same, nopony is smart enough to make themselves completely invisible. I have one lead, not enough to count as evidence, I'm not even sure I felt it yet but...It's something. When I revisited the warehouse scene the day after, I felt a trace of magic there. A unicorn was there that night and Gleaming Truth confirmed that it wasn't from any officers or the guards. The strangest part is, I feel like I've felt it before...


I'll need to investigate this further. For now though, I just need to focus. There has to be some little detail I've overlooked, something that will bust this case wide open and give my friends the help they need.


"Give it up sis, there's nothing new we can learn on there."


Rarity shook her head up slightly at Sweetie Belle's voice and turned to see her standing in the doorway with an unimpressed look on her face.


"Oh. Did I say that one out loud?" Rarity asked, rubbing the back of her neck before getting up again.


"No, you've just been thinking about the same thing for the last few days." Sweetie replied, stepping into the room as her sister started pacing again.


"Yes well, somepony has to keep on task until we solve this thing." Rarity said simply, still staring at the wall. Sweetie frowned more at that, not getting the reply she'd been hoping for.


"Come on Rarity, you need to take some time to relax as well. Do you even remember who you came to Manehatten to help?"


"Coco? Of course, I went to see her when we arrived. What's the problem?" Rarity retorted, still not even looking at her.


"...That was nearly three weeks ago!" Sweetie snapped, turning away in frustration. "You haven't spoken a word to her since then and I invited her over today and made arrangements specifically so you two could just spend a casual day together. Are you really so tartarus-bent on this that you want me to go back downstairs and tell her that her best friend didn't want to see her?"


Rarity paused mid-step, almost frozen in place as her sister's words sunk in. She hadn't taken any time to think about it but now that she was, it was staring her in the face so blatantly that it hurt. It was true, she'd been putting everything she had into this case, to the point that she had been completely overlooking everything and everypony else in the way. There was having drive and there was going completely overboard like she had been since...Since Hearth's Warming at least. She sighed and slowly looked back toward Sweetie Belle, who was still keeping her back to her, standing silently.


"...No...Never. I-I'm sorry, Sweetie Belle. I lost my head in all this, got carried away. Plus I'm not going to do anypony any favours if I burn myself out." She finally said, turning and stepping closer to the doorway. Eventually she saw Sweetie relax and step aside to let her out.


"Don't worry about it, we all get swept up in the moment. Just go out there and enjoy yourself."


"Thank you. Will you be coming with us?"


"I didn't plan on it. Babs has a day off as well so I was going to go see her and Solo. Besides, what I got booked for you isn't really my style." Sweetie smiled slightly as Rarity passed her and made for the stairs, only to stop and look back at her.


"Wait. What exactly did you set up for us?"


"You'll see." Sweetie commented, still sounding a little rough.


"Is, something else wrong?" Rarity finally asked, not moving from her spot in the meantime.


"Hmm? Oh, right. Not for me. Just the Equestria Today was taking more shots at Scootaloo today." Sweetie finally replied, clearly looking like she didn't want to dwell on it. Rarity nodded and finally headed downstairs, still wondering just what she was in for today.


To most ponies, the cultural district in the south of Manehatten was a melting pot of everything that brought Equestria and it's neighbouring lands together, rivalled only in spectacular scale by the Crystal Faire. From the fashions of Yakyakistan to the cuisine of the Griffon Territories, the literature of the Mintoris Isles to the artwork of the Crystal Empire, it was impossible for a pony to go through the area without learning something new about their world. Those that dug a little deeper would find how these various lifestyles could blend together, many of the establishments were able to combine their various styles into something elegant and catchy. Rarity had been here several times in the past but it was Coco Pommel's first visit to the area and she couldn't stop turning her head, looking over everything.


"Breathtaking, isn't it?" Rarity asked, making sure to match her friend's slow walk. Personally she felt like she could be going all over the place right now, being full of energy and not needing to put on a serious act today. She needed to restrain herself due to her friend's still undiagnosed issues though.


"I know. If I had any idea I would have come here sooner," Coco replied, looking over at a bookstore styled with pillars made of griffon marble. "I'll have to put some time into exploring later, it's all beautiful."


"I'm sure we can find some time for that once we're done here. Now, Sweetie Belle said that it was on Grande Way and...Ah! There we are." Rarity said as she pointed out a spa partway down the street they were on. A small part of her missed her regular spa sessions back in Ponyville, but it wasn't the same without Aloe and Lotus Blossom. The staff there these days still did good work but none of it compared to the gentle touch that her old friends were capable of.


"Ooh, I've always wanted to try a spa day." Coco said happily, looking a bit more energetic as she moved to go in.


"Well, you're with the right pony in the right place then," Rarity said as she snapped out of her thoughts and trotted forward. "It is just the most relaxing thing and by the time we're done here, you'll be taking a much needed break from your problems."


Coco smiled more and pushed the front door open, stepping in and holding it for Rarity. Once she'd entered as well they both took a moment to take in the surroundings. The lobby had clearly been styled after the architecture of the Crystal Empire, stone and gems cut into elegant mosaics along the walls, a shining floor, even the statue placed by the reception looked like it had been lifted straight from the city. It was quite a marvellous sight, though one they couldn't let distract them for long. The two friends finally remembered why they were here and moved forward to the reception desk, manned by a silver unicorn mare.


"Good morning dear, we have an appointment booked for two. Rarity and Coco Pommel." Rarity said as they reached the front desk, waiting a moment as the receptionist checked it and nodded.


"Ah yes, the Full body Deluxe Pamper session. You're very lucky, that's almost constantly sold out. Just head through the door on the left, somepony will be there to see to you."


"Sounds lovely," Coco commented as they made their way toward the indicated door. "It'll be nice to just relax for a little while."


Rarity glanced over at her, silently wondering how she was actually feeling. Coco was one of the gentlest and sweetest ponies she knew, sure the last six months hadn't been easy for her but just how bad were things going if she felt constantly tense? She silently decided to spend more time closer to her in future, make sure that she was going to be ok. For now, they stepped through the door into the main spa area, taking in the sight of a wide hallway to the various activities available. A pair of spa workers were waiting off to one side, a green earth stallion and a light red crystal pony. On seeing the two mares coming in they straightened up and trotted over to them.


"Miss Rarity, Miss Pommel," The crystal pony said as they came up, sounding like she was rather awed at getting to meet them. "I'm Cherry Blossom and this is Tension Point, we'll be tending to you for as long as you wish your stay to be. Is there anything particular you'd like to start with?"


"Thank you both," Rarity said happily before looking over at Coco. "Coco darling, do you have any preference?"


"Well, a massage does sound nice right now." She replied after a moments thought. Tension Point nodded and motioned for them to follow him, the four of them heading down the hallway a short ways before reaching a door marked 'Massage Parlour'. He opened it up and let them inside. It was a simple setup, a number of massage benches with foam mattresses on top for customers and a cabinet with a wide variety of oils to enhance the experience.


"Make yourselves comfortable, do you have any preferences for your time in here?" Tension asked, his voice carrying a slight Saddle Arabian accent that only added to the aura of calm in the room.


"Something gentle please." Coco answered as she clambered up onto on of the tables and settled herself in place.


"Surprise me," Rarity added as she did the same, glancing over at Coco, who already looked to be enjoying herself as Tension began to massage down her shoulders and back. "By the way, Cherry Blossom, any relation to the Blossom twins of Ponyville?"


"I get that a lot. Maybe I am on some level." Cherry chuckled, fetching a bottle of vanilla scented oil and carefully pouring some on Rarity's back before starting to rub it in, working her muscles carefully in the process.


Rarity sighed softly in content at the feeling, snuggling down into the mattress. Foam was one of those little wonderful advances in technology over the last few years, she thought to herself, very comfortable and mouldable, possibly something to incorporate into her designs. She glanced back over toward Coco, only to see the mare was even more relaxed than she was. She looked like she'd actually fallen asleep mid-massage. Rarity smiled to herself at the sight and let it be, knowing that her friend was in for the most relaxing day of her life. As she settled herself down, her mind wandered slightly, wondering what the rest of her friends were up to. Hopefully something as pleasant as this.


'Why do there have to be so many stairs?' Sweetie Belle thought to herself as she reached the fourth floor of the Harmony's Rest Apartment block, checking the room listings on the wall as she did. It had been a bit of a trek on hoof to get here and while she could have just teleported up here sooner, she preferred to save that magic until it was really needed with the investigation going on. Besides, she'd still have to go back down by herself.


The building itself didn't stand out in any special way, a seven story piece built to comfortably accommodate the large number of ponies that lived in Manehatten. The significant thing about it was that it was also home to the city's Cutie Mark Crusaders. As Sweetie made her way down the hallway, counting door numbers silently, she reflected that all six members of the original two CMC groups had never met, to say nothing of the five members of its second generation. That was something they'd have to fix once her investigation was over. For now, she found the correct apartment and knocked on the door. After a few moments it opened, standing on the other side was a cobalt coloured pegasus stallion with a short cut, windswept, charcoal coloured mane and tail, energetic dark green eyes and a cutie mark of a cloud being split by a lightning bolt. It had been some time since they'd met but they recognised each other instantly.


"Sweetie Belle! It's been way too long." The pegasus said with a grin, throwing a hoof out in greeting.


"Good to see you too, Sky Breaker," She replied, smiling back and hoofbumping him. He may have been a little...Wild, but he was a good stallion, at the least he lived here to take some of the pressure off Babs due to the third pony that lived here. "Are the others here?"


"You know it! Squirt, Chippy and Watcher are hyped for this as much as I am. We-" Sky Breaker paused at the sound of small thundering hooves behind him and took off slightly, letting an earth pony filly dash through where he'd been standing. She was only about seven years old, scarlet coloured with white patches on her left shoulder and flanks, a light pink mane and tail, orange eyes and no cutie mark yet. She was also wearing a red cape with a faded blue and yellow emblem that Sweetie Belle instantly recognised as Babs' old CMC cape.


"There you are, Solo Act!" She exclaimed happily as the filly bounded up and hugged her leg, laughing softly as she hugged her in return. Solo Act hadn't had the easiest start in life, considering she didn't know her father and the risks of her mother's job. Having the other crusaders around had been enough to help raise her right though.


"You made it Aunt Belle! Mom said you'd be coming and you did! Sky! Sky! Can you get a picture of me and Aunt Belle together?" Solo's enthusiasm was boundless as she was lifted up and nestled into Sweetie's chest. It was a welcome relief to the unicorn to see this, Solo was happier about just seeing her again rather than the fact she was meeting something of a celebrity. The fact she always called her aunt also put a happy warm feeling in her heart.


"Sure thing Squirt, come through and we'll get it set up." Sky replied, landing again and heading back toward the main room of the apartment. Babs was watching from just inside the apartment as he passed, smiling softly as she watched her daughter and her friend bonding as if they saw each other every day. Sweetie smiled as well and magically lifted Solo onto her back, making sure she was settled and clinging on before following him through.


The main living space of the apartment was one of those living room/kitchen combos, decently, if somewhat sparsely, furnished. Sitting on the sofa as they came in was a brown earth stallion, his mane and tail black with a grey streak, yellow eyes and a wine glass cutie mark. Sweetie Belle recognised him as Wood Chip, the final member of the Manehatten Cutie Mark Crusaders and the calmest head among them too.


"Hi, 'Chippy'," She teased, getting him to give a good natured tongue poke in response. "How've things been with you?"


"Pretty good, pretty good." Wood Chip replied with a deep voice that caught most ponies out the first time they heard it. He got up and joined the others as Sky Breaker fetched a camera out of a cabinet and brought it over.


"So, what'd you think Solo, want to let your mom and the others in this pic as well?" Sweetie asked the filly as she felt her clamber up and poke her head out next to her horn.


"Sounds great! I can't wait to show all the fillies at school how awesome all my family are! A cop, a weatherpony, a drinksguy and a singer, they're gonna love it!" Solo squeaked happily, clinging on as Sweetie took the camera in her magic and waited for Sky to join her, Chip and Babs.


As she levelled it and focused on getting the shot right, Sweetie couldn't help but smile to herself. This was the kind of thing she was working to help Manehatten for. She may have thought it before but it didn't ring any less true now, keeping ponies like this safe and happy, that was her current calling. For now though, she thought to herself as her magic took the photo, she could just take a little time to relax with some good friends.

Author's Note:

Yeah, I know this chapter wasn't the best. I've got no excuses, I just couldn't quite keep up with the motivation and quality of previous chapters. Sorry about that.