• Published 26th Jun 2012
  • 1,849 Views, 18 Comments

The Journals of Magical Rocket - aricaitlyn



Who knew that a nightmarish black hole in your closet could lead to the magical land of Equestria?

  • ...
10
 18
 1,849

Pony, You're A Firework!

"I still can't believe my special talent is art!" Ivy babbled. "I mean, I knew I was good at art, but I never thought it would end up being my special talent! And here it is, my cutie mark!" She turned her flank to where I could see the mark.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "I still can't believe it, either. Now, keep an eye out for the market."

“M’kay.”

Suddenly, I heard a loud noise, like something fizzing then bursting. I looked up and saw a beautiful blast of color. It sparkled, and it was probably the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. "Wow!"

"Do you like fireworks?" Ivy Art asked me.

"Yes!" I shouted happily. I made my way over to the stallion lighting the fireworks and looked at him with my big pony eyes. "Can I...? Please...?"

"Sure," he replied. "But I think you should fix your mane. I know how mares can be about their looks."

"Okay." I patted down my cowlick, then used a magic spell to create a firework in the shape of a sun. Princess Celestia's cutie mark.

The stallion looked at the sky and wondered in amazement. "Whoa, how did you do that?"

I shrugged. "It's just magic." I made another firework appear in the shape of a rocket.

"I think I'll stick with the traditional way," he muttered, glancing towards his bin of unlit explosives. He pulled out a match from hammerspace.

Silly me, I trotted over to the next firework he lit, and my leg got caught! I screamed as the giant firework went up into the sky. Without thinking, I began to kick my legs up in a frenzy, almost like I was swimming. (I was no good at swimming.)

I finally gave up my idiotic flailing. It would get me nowhere except maybe death. I wrapped my entire body around the base of the firework, afraid to get caught in the explosion. I began writing out my final will in my head. I'm leaving Ivy Art in charge of the bakery, Snoodle Guy could have my sketchbook, y’know, if I ever bought one...

Ivy Art began flying over to me as fast as she could. "I'm coming!"

But I came up with an absolutely brilliant solution. I let go of the firework just as it exploded in the sky. Why hadn’t I thought of that before?

"Good job!" Ivy Art exclaimed from the sky.

I was falling to my doom now. Ivy caught me in midair. I used another spell to create a protective bubble around us. We floated to the ground safely.

The stallion who had been lighting fireworks trotted over to me in a panic. "Are you okay?"

I dusted myself off. "I'm fine. And I'm sorry if I ruined this display of yours, sir."

"You've got to be more careful, miss. You could've gotten hurt." He put his hoof on my head.

"I know, sir, and again, I'm really sorry. But I learned something during all of this: I really like fireworks. A lot."

He nodded and smiled. "You said it! But I really think you should wash up. I know how mares can be about their looks."

----

Ivy Art and I began trotting around town, looking for a place to stay. Our eyes were fixed on Sugar Cube Corner, the place she had led me into for my surprise.

"Ivy?"

She turned her head my direction. "Oh, what?"

"Why is the pastry place so...musty and old?"

Her pupils got a little bigger. "The original owners passed away years ago. You heard of Mr. and Mrs. Cake? My mom was good friends with those two. When I was a little filly, she'd bring home slices of pie and fresh-baked cupcakes for us to share. The Cakes' kids grew up and moved to Canterlot. Pumpkin Cake became a scholar and Pound Cake joined the Wonderbolts. The Cakes also had an orphaned pony staying with them. Her name was Pinkie Pie. She rented out the top floor to live in and-"

I cut her off. "I know that!"

She shot me a confused look. "How do you know that?" She paused and looked at me dramatically. "Are you a spy?"

"No, I've just...been around," I said nervously.

We stepped through the door of the old bakery. I immediately trotted into the washroom and used my magic to clean up myself with a towel. There was some dirt on my flank, so I really scrubbed at it, and beneath that grime was something unrecognizable. It was a reddish mark of some sort that ran all the way down my leg. I considered poking at it, but if it was a wound, it would have been wise to care for it.

Ivy banged on the door. "You done yet?" I hadn't realized she needed to clean up, too.

"Yeah." I opened the door, all clean and sanitary and stuff. "We should buy some food and maybe invite everypony else in if we're gonna live here."

Ivy gasped and pointed at my flank. "You've got your cutie mark!"

I looked for myself. “Aw, yeah! That’s awesome!”