• Published 26th Jun 2012
  • 1,849 Views, 18 Comments

The Journals of Magical Rocket - aricaitlyn



Who knew that a nightmarish black hole in your closet could lead to the magical land of Equestria?

  • ...
10
 18
 1,849

They're Most Likely Your Sidekicks

I trotted out of the castle and took the train to Ponyville. Canterlot was definitely a nice town, but if the show’s portrayal of big-city folk was true, I wanted no part of that.

"This is stupid," I muttered, getting off the train. "I have friends as a human, so why couldn't I have brought them into Equestria with me?"

I pulled my head up, viewing my surroundings. Instead of the cartoon version of Ponyville, with street vendors and novelty shops this way and that, there were old, decaying buildings; small cottages; and dirty roads. It was pretty odd, yet peaceful in a strange way. For the moment being, all was quiet.

Suddenly, a blur of purple dashed towards me, slamming straight into my body. I tumbled to the ground, the pony who had crashed into me directly on top.

"I‘m sorry." The purple pony pulled herself up and shook off. "Practicing a new trick. You know how it goes."

I took a closer look at her. She wore glasses, just like me. Her coat was purple, and her mane was black, short, and crazy-curly, almost to a Pinkie Pie level. She didn't have her cutie mark, but she looked a little too old to be a blank flank. She reminded me of somebody I had met before, but who? "You're new here," she said to me, holding out her hoof for a friendly hoof-shake. "I've never seen you around. I sure hope we can be friends!" Her enthusiasm reminded me of somepony from the show. I thought for a minute. It was definitely Pinkie Pie.

"I'm Magical Rocket. What's your name?"

"I'm...IVY ART!" she exclaimed, a cartoony smile stretching across her face. "But you can just call me Ivy."

I grinned at her and shook her hoof politely. "Okay. Hello, Ivy."

Suddenly, a piece of paper was thrust in my face. It looked to me like a bubble with a face and hair. The shading was amazing, nothing I had ever seen, and the artist was able to blend crayon so beautifully. Such a childish art form had never seemed great to me, until now, of course. I was speechless. "Look at it!" a voice shouted from behind. I screamed.

"Oh, hey, Snoodle Guy!" Ivy Art said happily.

Snoodle Guy put his paper down. Behind the drawing was the cutest face I had ever seen on a colt. "Hi."

I blushed nervously and waved to him. "H-hi," I stuttered.

"I draw bubbles," he replied.

I smiled at him, trying (unsuccessfully!) to hide my feelings for him. I hadn't even been in this world for five minutes, and already a guy has caught my attention. "Cool. I d-draw ponies."

He looked at me oddly. "What? You do portraits?" He smiled and threw his front hooves into a crazy pose. "Could you draw me someday?"

I blushed again, my face feeling hotter. I fanned myself with my hoof. "Ponies? Did I say 'ponies'? I meant 'people'. Heh heh!"

An odd look spanned across his adorable pony-face. "Oh. Well, I hate people," he groaned.

I suddenly felt a rough pain on the scruff on my neck, like teeth cutting into my skin. I screamed and turned around. A blue pegasus pony with auburn hair was holding me by his teeth. I began to fight with him. "You hurt me, I'll hurt you!"

We both came out of the tussle with multiple scratches. A tear ran down his cheek and he began to cry. "Wh-why did you do that?!" he screamed, hitting me again with his hooves. I shook off his punches, praying that they wouldn't bruise.

"Hi, Gamer Strike!" Ivy exclaimed.

"Hey," he responded, pulling me up. I looked at him. He looked like a nice guy, strong yet fragile, and his cutie mark was a video game controller, sort of like the one Princess Luna was holding earlier.

Ivy Art introduced me. "Gamer, this is..." She paused and looked at me. "What's your name?"

"Magical Rocket." I said. I figured she would have remembered it by now. Hmm, perhaps a name tag would be a nice investment.

I heard somepony trotting in the distance. She was a soft shade of blue, her cutie mark was a flag, she wore big horn-rimmed glasses (everypony had glasses except for Gamer) and her hair was dirty blonde and done in that “emo“ hairstyle I had always wanted as a kid. "Hi, Ivy, Gamer, Snoodle, and...who are you?"

"Magical Rocket!" I exclaimed. Steam was practically coming out of my ears. The mare looked at me in shock, then turned her glance to a table of cupcakes that had come out of, well, nowhere. There was a note attached to it, the writing done in purple glitter ink.

She read it aloud. "To Selena. Here are some cupcakes. From Ivy Art. Well, okay, I guess I'll try one." She reached for a cupcake, only to be interrupted by Ivy's head popping out of the table and toppling over the cupcake tray.

"Hi, Selena!" Ivy shouted happily.

"Wait a minute, weren't you just next to me?"

Ivy popped up behind Selena, who jumped. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

I don't recall what exactly happened after that. Ivy must have signaled something, and everypony trotted off.