• Published 6th Jun 2016
  • 1,424 Views, 61 Comments

Pony Persona - Everace



With no memory of their past, a lone changeling must try to answer questions about their own identity. Will the citizens of Ponyville become their friends, or their prey?

  • ...
4
 61
 1,424

7 - Veiled Vision

Life for Veil got a little awkward over the next several days. After her attempt to keep the cancelled wedding secret fell flat, many ponies were confused about who should know what. Pinkie arrived with a very unique cake as an apology for her part in that, which was actually quite good when you knew to expect savory leek flavor rather than something sweet. Veil sent her off with thanks, admitting that the fault was partly her own for sending Piv over without any warning.

Piv showed up, reporting that the doctor had given him a clean bill of health. Apparently whatever was wrong with his memory wasn't physical. She brought up the possibility of going to see Twilight again, but he got quiet and evasive. Confused by his reluctance, but unwilling to press him during his time of stress, she let it drop.

Speaking of stress, Veil herself wasn't exactly gliding through the experience with perfect ease. She still felt like somepony had clipped her wings, then kicked her in the side for good measure. Piv picked up on it, despite the brave and happy facade she tried to keep in place for him. He seemed to understand that all the effort she put into keeping up the show for him was taking a lot out of her. "I need to sort things out for myself here in Ponyville." he had said, "So I might not be able to hang out much in the near future." She really did want to spend time with him, but was actually very grateful for his perceptiveness. Time to attune to these new circumstances was just what she needed.

Work helped. Making medicines was what she had been born in Equestria to do, and it eased her heart every time she sent somepony home with the remedies they needed. Next on her list for the day was Twilight, dropping by to pick up a sleep aid. Not totally uncommon for the local librarian, as she had occasional bouts of worry stress that kept her awake at night. Veil was surprised, then, when it was Bon Bon who walked through her door instead.

The yellow pony glanced around the lab curiously, perhaps wondering if anything had changed since her last visit. When her eyes finally found Veil, she approached slowly. "Hi!" She paused uncertainly, "Veil?"

"I wasn't expecting you today. It's not an emergency, is it?" An unforeseen order would slow down her production schedule, but she always left some leeway for such things just in case.

Bon Bon smiled, seeming more confident. "No, nothing like that! It's just that I hear Pivotal Pledge is back in town. It's been such a long time since I've seen him I wanted to say hello, and I figured he'd be here with you now that you're married."

The unpleasant feelings of disappointment this called up caused Veil to stifle a disheartened sigh. "No, we aren't married." her brows came together, "Shouldn't you know that by now? I thought it was all over town."

Bon Bon made a sympathetic noise, "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Actually I've been out of town for a few days. So if he's not here..." Bon Bon waved her hoof at the lab, "Where is he?"

"I'm not sure if he's there now, but he's living in his old place again." Veil had spent time taking care of the place while he'd been gone, to ensure that his things were in good condition when he returned. She hadn't expected him to actually need to live there again, aside from a few days perhaps.

"Of course. I should have known he'd go back to his... old place." She seemed vaguely dissatisfied by the answer. "Very well, I'll find him there."

As the other pony turned to go, a thought occurred to Veil. "Have you been to see Lyra since you got back? I'm sure she'd worry about you."

Bon Bon paused and glanced back at her. "Lyra?" She blinked, then smiled smoothly. "Yes of course. I'm very eager to mmh, see her." The door opened from outside, drawing her attention, and whatever she saw made her gasp and back up several paces. When Veil finally got a look, she was quite puzzled. It was just Twilight, after all.

The studious unicorn glanced at Bon Bon with concern, "Are you all right? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Ah, no I'm fine." The yellow pony smoothed her expression into a grin. "You startled me is all, opening the door so suddenly. I'm afraid I was just on my way out, though. Bye Twilight." She slipped out of the building and the door closed behind her.

Twilight furled her brow, her gaze lingering for just a moment upon the closed door, before her expression cleared and she turned to Veil. "Hi, Veil! Doctor Horse let me know that Piv is healthy, physically speaking. Does this mean I can expect a visit from him sometime soon?"

She was obviously eager to help, which added to the discouragement Veil felt when she was forced to shake her head no. "I don't know what it is, but Piv always changes the subject whenever I talk about you. It's like he's scared of something."

The unicorn blinked, her expression baffled. "Scared? Of me?"

"I'm not sure. I'm also not sure I should be putting any pressure on him right now. Maybe this will work itself out once he becomes more comfortable with Ponyville."

"Maybe." Twilight did not sound convinced as she paced the length of the room. "But there are many conditions that only worsen as time goes on. What if our only chance to save his memory is slipping away? We need to at least figure out what's wrong with him."

Veil heaved an unhappy sigh. "Yes. The doctor in me knows you're right. I just..." She shook her head. "I'll talk to him again, I promise." Feeling it was a good time to close the subject, Veil seized on a distraction. "But hey, that's not all you're here for, right? You're scheduled to pick up a sleep aid, and I just so happen to have it prepared!" She retrieved a set of tea bags from a nearby table and presented them to the librarian.

Twilight was struck with sudden enthusiasm, "Oh! A tea for sleeping, I've read about this! Is it Chamomile?"

Veil smiled, happy to have kindled her scholarly interest. "Among other things, yes. Use one bag to make one cup of tea, and drink it a half hour before you'd like to fall asleep."

"Thank you, this is just what I needed!" The two then exchanged more lighthearted banter about Pinkie's most recent antics, after which Twilight thanked her again and took her leave. Veil checked her schedule, noting that she had a stretch of time before anypony else ought to be dropping in to pick up an order. She began gathering the herbs she'd need for her next concoction, and noted that she was running low on a few key ingredients. Enough for now, but she'd have to make a trip down to the Everfree forest very soon.

Veil knew her way around the Everfree forest, and knew how to deal with the dangers that lurked within. This was especially true now that she had become friends with Zecora, and the two had entered into a partnership to keep Ponyville well supplied with medicines. The zebra enjoyed living in her secluded hut, but some ponies were not able to brave the forest even when only Zecora knew how to cure what ailed them. Veil considered it part of her job to make the trip for them, since otherwise they wouldn't get the remedies they needed.

"Tomorrow, then." She murmured to herself. If she was lucky, perhaps her striped friend would even have some ideas about what could be done for Piv. She nodded with satisfaction and swept serenely across the lab.