• Published 6th Jun 2016
  • 1,424 Views, 61 Comments

Pony Persona - Everace



With no memory of their past, a lone changeling must try to answer questions about their own identity. Will the citizens of Ponyville become their friends, or their prey?

  • ...
4
 61
 1,424

10 - Zecora's Promise

Veil didn't like the idea of taking Piv further into the Everfree forest, since his basic survival knowledge seemed as lost to him as everything else, but Zecora was one of the few who might actually be able to help him. She had originally planned to describe his predicament to the zebra, but being able to present him in person was definitely a better option. Aside from Twilight, whom he so stubbornly avoided, Zecora was the most knowledgeable friend Veil had when it came to magic. Definitely the most knowledgeable when it came to magical healing.

The forest gave no ground when they came upon the home of her zebra friend, for even the house itself was really a hollow tree. She let herself relax a little as she approached the door, knowing that Zecora had ways of keeping her dwelling safe from the otherwise untamed forest. She glanced over at Piv, "Here we are. Ringing any bells?"

He studied the door, then gave her a puzzled look. "I don't see one. Maybe we should just knock?"

"Wha?" She blinked in surprise, but a call sounded from within before she could respond further, "Veiled Vision, do I hear your voice?" The door opened to reveal an exotic looking zebra sporting unique jewelry. "Come inside friend, if that is your choice!" Zecora smiled and beckoned them forward as she moved smoothly over to the large cauldron in the center of her home. Today it was bubbling gently with a clear liquid that gave off a pleasant cinnamony aroma, a wooden spoon left out across the rim. The healer's gaze moved across her guests as they followed her in, Piv closing the door gently behind himself. "I expected you to come for plants, but is there aught else I can grant? Your friend has lost his memory I've heard, and so you've come to see him cured?"

Piv sat by the cauldron, eyes wandering over the colorful masks that decorated her cozy home, "Cured?" He focused on their host. "Do you really think you can restore my memory?" He asked, seeming faintly surprised. Veil was pleased by his apparent interest, and not at all shocked that her zebra friend had already heard about Piv's homecoming. Despite her seclusion, she often seemed to be more well informed than one would expect.

Zecora tilted her head to one side, considering her answer. "Many things can fog the mind. First we must answer, what kind? I must look closer if you'll allow, to see if a cure can be made and how!" She held out her hoof to him.

Piv stepped forward obligingly. "I should warn you, I've already gotten a clean bill of health from Dr. Horse."

To this Zecora simply nodded, "The good doctor knows his art, there are other tests with which we can start." With that, she placed a hoof on his horn and asked him to levitate one of the masks from her wall. Veil watched with interest as Zecora put him through this and many other tests, some of which she recognized, but most of which were still unfamiliar despite much time working alongside her reclusive friend. Some seemed rather silly. At one point Zecora appeared to be tapping Piv's head and listening to the sound it produced. Veil kept herself from chuckling in amusement, knowing even this odd test must have some purpose.

At last Zecora approached Veil, leaving a somewhat bemused Piv in her wake. She spoke in a soft voice meant only for Veil's ears, "I'll ask one question, tell me true. Does Pivotal Pledge seem different to you?"

"Different?" Veil was caught off guard. "I suppose? He has lost his memory, after all." He certainly didn't seem quite so energetic and outgoing as she recalled, but wasn't that to be expected? He was adjusting to a place he knew nothing about, without a single pony he could remember. Zecora shook her head, "It's true that..."

"Wow, this is delicious! What kind of soup is this?" Piv suddenly broke in from across the room, the wooden spoon held between his hooves and a smile on his face as he stood over the cauldron.

Zecora started with shock. "That is not meant for you to consume! It is not food, but instead perfume!"

Piv peered at her doubtfully. "What? That can't be." He looked down into the cauldron again, sniffing it's contents appreciatively. He seemed so very sure that Veil couldn't help but feel curious. She strode forward and took the spoon from Piv. As she dipped the spoon into the cauldron Zecora made a warning sound of protest, but made no move to stop her. Veil took a sip. The sharp bitter flavor smacked against her tongue causing her eyes to bulge before she quickly spit out the foul stuff. "Ugh!!! Piv, what the hay!?"

For just a moment, he seemed really and truly confused. Just a moment. Then he burst out laughing, "Oh! Oh goodness, I can't believe you really tried it! I was sure you'd see right through me!"

She'd been had. "Oh, you rat!" She tossed the spoon at him, which he ducked rather handily, and came up grinning at her. Despite herself, it was great to see him feeling good enough to play like this. In fact it was rather infectious! "Haha, you won't get off so easily!" She tackled him and they went rolling across the rather limited floor space of Zecora's home, laughing together. The zebra cleared her throat pointedly, and a glance told Veil she was not likewise amused. "Ah! Sorry, Zecora. Did we ruin it?"

"There is no cause for alarm, my perfume has taken no harm." Despite her reassuring words, she eyed Piv warily as the pair of them stood back up. "I believe I know how he may be healed. A salve, by which all truths are revealed. It cannot be made with any speed, three days to brew is what I'll need." A salve specifically for diagnosis? Veil had never heard of such a thing.

Piv had a different interpretation, "A salve that will restore my true memories? Amazing! I'm so glad we came to see you!" He held his hoof out to Zecora, smiling. She frowned at it, but did reluctantly give him a hoof-bump. Veil frowned also, wondering what was causing such reticence in her normally easygoing friend. She almost commented, but hesitation lost her the chance as Zecora excused herself to gather the herbs that Veil had come for in the first place.

Anyone could have a bad day, she supposed. With a prospective cure on the horizon it was hard not to focus on all the good that had come from this! So when the two of them set out from Zecora's home, cart laden with healing supplies, their spirits were higher than they had been in days.


Zecora watched them go from her window. She murmured to herself, "I must be very certain to make my claim, for it will surely cause my friend great pain." Her gaze settled on Piv in particular, steel in her eyes and voice as she continued, "If you are a wolf in pony guise, I swear I shall reveal your lies!"