• Published 4th Jun 2016
  • 1,115 Views, 109 Comments

All an Illusion - D Historian



Illusion has no idea who or what she is, but she has to rise to the occasion with her new friends and save Equestria, uncovering herself and the secret past of Fluttershy, her mother, and her father, along the long and dark way...

  • ...
2
 109
 1,115

Chapter 3

Chapter3
Red Hooves

The navy blue alicorn sat motionless on the dark red marisan carpet, feeling the loose material tug and scrape gently against her fur. She had no idea how long she had sat there. Her face was an expressionless mask, but for a second, sorrow flicked across her façade. Her aqua eyes darkened with pain.

She sighed and swallowed, closing her eyes. She righted her black crown, her eyes opening and letting her gaze linger on the white gold regalia and crown that lay discarded. She remembered the day her sister had gotten them too. It had been…so very long ago. It had been more than a millennium ago, Luna recalled vaguely, the day after Celestia raised the sun for the first time, a year before they had defeated… someone. Her mind was racked, but she could not remember who. The memory was too blurred. Her frown hardened. She was so old. They both were.

She put a hoof on the crown, a small chink emanating from where her regalia touched the purplish crystal. Her face went back to its façade. A single tear dripped from overfilled eyes, causing Luna to start, almost as if she was surprised that she felt sorrow. She bit, hard, on her trembling lip and drew a drop of blood. Her hoof shook from its position.

A thump came on the door, and immediately, Luna whipped her hoof to wipe her cheek so quickly it stung. She cleared her throat and opened her mouth.

“Who is it?”

A muffled scuffling followed, sounding like somepony was holding several things. A familiar voice, ageless despite time and veiled fatigue, answered.

“Twilight. It’s me, princess.”

Luna sighed deeply and opened the door in a thrust of magic, but kept her gaze fixated on a blue quill, its tip glistening with black moisture, still wet. She glanced to the door and pattering of hooves against marble that muffled itself seconds later on the carpet.

Luna cocked her head at her sister’s old student, puzzled. Twilight had grown slightly taller and was starting to resemble younger Cadence, but her muzzle had stayed the same. She wore no regalia and her magic held several scrolls and saddlebags, as expected. Her hair was windswept and had obviously arrived in a hurry. Luna raised her eyebrow.

“How did you get here so quickly? I sent a messenger only minutes ago!”

Twilight stopped short.

“I came here because I received a strange letter from Celestia. Did...did something happen?” She stammered uncertainly, clearly not knowing the whole situation.

Princess Luna sighed for the umpteenth time that day and looked to the other alicorn.

“Oh dear. Listen, Twilight- “
~~~

The mauve stallion clambered to dusty hooves, feeling the grime that stuck to his hooves collect bits of dirt.

He sighed and ruffled his green mane, a plum coloured horn splitting his messy hair into two. He trotted forward down an alley, the cliché creepy feeling and ominous sensation sending thrills down his back. He walked forward obliviously, his bluish eyes wide and looking about nervously.

He stalked forward to a green dumpster, the edges lined with mud, and leaned in, attention diverted. He hummed as he ‘worked’ and pulled a pair of light pink ballet shoes, worn and 7+ attack, according to a note pinned to it. The note was torn and had a blue heart, along with the number ‘25’ scrawled messily on it. For a moment, with the shoes hovering in his sparkling magic aura, it made him feel dangerous.

The stallion stared in confusion, but did not get the reference. He shrugged. He continued, the familiar trash smell filling him with determination.

He leaned in deeper and nearly fell in when a clopping sound of delicate hooves got his attention. He pulled his head from the dumpster, filthier than before.

His jaw dropped.

A mare, dazzling creamy white, wings of shining alabaster like an angel, and blonde hair, golden and impossibly shining despite the poor light, bringing out piecing electric blue eyes framed with black long lashes. She was poised gracefully, wings furled, regarding him with an intense and passionate gaze. Her legs, delicate, long and slender, stretched intricately underneath her.

Her movements, the stallion was vaguely aware amidst the hazy sensation, were as though she was constantly gliding or floating, her hips swaying and immodestly showing off her curves.

She was closer to him now, the purple unicorn realised, gazing into her electric blue eyes. There were only her eyes. Her eyes were fire and ice, silk and steel. Her eyes were swallowing him. He tried to move but was frozen, drawn into her eyes, that begged him to lean in, to give in. He managed to open his mouth and lick his cracked lips.

The mare repeated the movement sensually, but opened her mouth wider. Her teeth, pearly white, were sharp.

The stallion jerked away at this realisation. He looked at the beautiful mare again and felt his heart stop. Bile rose.

She stared at him with the same eyes, but they were different. Instead of being simply piercing, they were now also burning and glaring at him with both a heat of a thousand suns, and a fiercely cold intensity.

A clack sound of claws against the pavement caused the stallion to look down. The sharp claws, beautiful in a deadly way, gleaming silver, was attached to the mare’s back hooves. She was a stormy silver, her wings spreading widely and unnaturally, moonlight shining through torn gaps in her feathers.

She was an angel, an angel…of death.

Her front hooves, surprisingly normal, gripped his neck where it was connected to his body, tightly. He wanted to scream and cry, but could not. He could only shift his gaze from her deadly back claws and icy eyes in a horrified fascination.

The angel leaned in, breathing softly and meeting his gaze stubbornly. The unicorn closed his eyes to try to shield himself from her stare, but found the blue eyes haunting his mind and boring into the depths of his soul. The stallion struggled weakly. The pressure was tighter on his neck now, he-

Snap.

In a fluid and eternally graceful movement, she twisted his spine and snapped his neck. His body sagged to the dirty floor. The sound echoed.

The creature, the angel of death, bent her head to feast.
~~~

The pony landed heavily and gasped when something cracked underneath her bloodied hooves. Something white and curved. Bones. Pony bones.

Her breath hitched as she stroked the picked clean bones in the alleyway, as if she hoped to coax life back into them. The bones were the first of many. The many she could not save.

She grieved silently, but physical exhaustion was taking its toll. She had a long night ahead of her, guaranteed to be sleepless, but it did not mean she would not try. She needed the rest to heal.

She took flight swiftly again, wings flapping and angled to a faraway location where she could bide her time.

Moisture, something sparkling like crystals…tears, glimmered on the floor of the alleyway, perched on a horned skull and slid down, making it look like the dead could cry.
~~~

Twilight stared ahead at the wall. It was blank and a dull peeling shade of white, but at the bottom lay a small pile of books. Books she remembered reading excitedly to her mentor, who would listen and laugh, teaching her.

Hours spent with just books, a small child and her motherly figure, wasting wonderful hours by being together.

A tear slid down her cheek.
~~~

Prism ducked around the hallway, avoiding curious eyes and the relentless staring her rainbow mane often got. She tugged her mane closer to herself, hoping to block out the noise and chatter that followed her everywhere.

“Oh my goodness! You’re Prism!”

“Can I get your parents’ autographs?”

“Hey! Prism! Want to hang out?”

She dived into a doorway that had the number ‘73’ on the polished cloudstone door. She fell clumsily to the floor, her cheeks burning. The first impression my roommate gets of me in falling down. Just great, Prism.

She looked up slowly, meeting large ruby eyes. The filly she shared the room looked no older than 14, two years younger than Prism. She had a greyish coat, but could probably be seen as brown in some lights. Her hair caught Prism off guard. Her hair was a white waterfall that blanketed half of her face. Her wings were small but muscled.

Illusion realising she was an object of scrutiny, ducked nervously, quickly looking away. Prism sighed inwardly at her movement. Ughh, is she quiet? I can take shy. But quiet?

Illusion cleared her throat.

“I hope you didn’t mind that I take the lower bunk.” Her voice was quite soft and alternated quickly, showing a flexible singing voice.

Prism shook her rainbow coloured mane vigorously. She looked about the room, noting with slight curiosity that Illusion’s saddle bags had rubies. Is she rich?

She turned back to Illusion and noticed a silver strip, small and camouflaging, around her neck. It glittered slightly. Her hair moved slightly, revealing a small red gemstone still partially covered with white strands.

“So…what’s your name?”

The filly started, surprised and turned to look at Prism.

“Illusion. My name is Illusion Shy.”

“Oh. Uhh, I’m Prism. I like your hair.”

Illusion stared at her for a moment. She was confused, and Prism cursed herself inwardly for such a remark. To her surprise, Illusion answered.

“Thanks. I like yours too.”

The awkward silence resumed.

Illusion glanced at the clock which was moving excruciatingly slowly. Prism mirrored her action, sweat dripping.

“What time are we supposed to go to the hall for lunch?” Illusion questioned, deciding she liked the rainbow haired pony.

“About noon. We get the whole morning to explore and get to know each other.”

They both looked simultaneously back to the clock, still at the same painful pace.

“So, where do you live?” Illusion frowned at the question that Prism shot her. Where did she live? The cottage was near White Tail woods, but was much nearer to the Everfree. She tapped her chin thoughtfully with a hoof. “Somewhere near P... Ponyville, I think?”

“Great! I live in Ponyville! The sky near Cloudsdale!”

Illusion smiled. It was nice to have a friend who was not a pet. She blinked and tilted her head at her new friend’s mane.

“Uh…If you don’t mind me asking…did you dye your mane?”

Prism eyes widened. Illusion did not know who her parents were? “No…My mom is Rainbow Dash. The mane is a family thing.”

Illusion crinkled her nose. Rainbow Dash? The name was familiar. “So, who are your parents?”

Prism fell out of the top bunk onto the cloudy flour with a thud. Her emerald eyes looked at Illusion, shocked.

“You…don’t know who the Wonderbolts are?” Prism managed to squeak out.

Uhh…”
~~~

“Twilight! Princess Twilight!”

Hearing some pony call her name, the Princess looked up at the guard. He was a bright orange shade that was mostly covered by delicate carved gold armour. Two wings clenched in a military stance at his side. Spiked hair, the same colour as Lilac’s surrounded his head. His eyes, blue, looked at Twilight. Her breath quickened.

“Flash?”

The stallion nodded. His smile grew larger as they enveloped each other in their wings and in a hug. Their lips met for a moment.

The door burst open and a little filly, looking at her parents kissing, make a puke face. “Gross!”

Flash pulled away reluctantly, ruffling his spiked hair sheepishly. He smiled at Lilac. “Hi Kiddo! It’s been a while!”

Lilac laughed at leapt onto Flash in a single wing flap. She hung on his armour and clambered to his head. And started bouncing. “Prissy Luna says you have to tell mommy the ne-ews!” She chimed, still jumping up and down on her father’s head.

Twilight’s expression became serious. “News? There’s more? Other than Princess Celestia? And the fact that time is going haywire since Luna can’t control the sun?” Twilight’s voice rose to a hysterical pitch. She regarded Flash as seriously as she could, but there was a filly jumping on his head and making his stance lopsided. He answered as professionally as he could.

“Indeed. Now that Princess Celestia is dead-“ Lilac ceased her pogo-sticking and dropped to the floor. She wore a comical frown. “Prissy Celestia is dead?”

The two ignored her. “-her enchantments placed on the border of Equestria is broken. Monsters can get in now. Equestrian borders have been attacked already. If-“

“Is Celestia really dead?”

“-we don’t do something-“

The adults had started to walk out to continue their conversation, leaving Lilac alone in the room. She blinked in confusion and turned to look at the doorway. Her parents were gone. She quickly got to her feet and clambered hastily after them, yelling at the top of her lungs.

“So is Celestia dead or not?”
~~~

The ice gleamed, having been thoroughly frozen through, despite it being the middle of summer. When the sun’s light spread past the thick canopy and hit the crystalline surface, the deep groove marks became obvious.

The words were thoroughly imprinted in, as if engraved with magic. A blue bird flew overhead. In the corner of its beady eye, it could see the top row of shining words.
“When all time comes to a stop,
When grains of sand cease to drop,
When the world-“

A loud snap echoed as a hungry beast, one of the Everfree’s prowlers, ate the bird hungrily as it had its attention diverted. It spat its prey's bones out and continued to prowl.

Author's Note:

I don't own the MLP:FiM characters.
I'm sorry about update time, I know I'm going too slow. I've hoped by upping my game, my story is better. Still, So Much Saaaadd...Please let me know. You have no idea how much your support and approval means to me! Poor Bluebird. Now you'll never know what the words are! Muahahaha!!!
Thanks to the six people who liked this!:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile::pinkiegasp:That's One More Than Before!!!

Who got that Undertale reference?:trollestia: