• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 1,723 Views, 44 Comments

The Slenderpony - Drifter



A police officer following a missing pony's report

  • ...
2
 44
 1,723

The Police Station

My head is on a table. That was the first thought that came into my mind when somepony's hoof shook me awake. I pulled myself up and tried to shake the cobwebs of sleep that had formed in my head away. I looked around the room warily, examining where I was. In front of me was the desk my head had been resting about a minute ago, along with a cup of pencils and a bunch of paperwork. On the plain white wall to my right was a bench and a clock that read 12:30. I had fallen asleep at the job-which happened to be working at Ponyville's police station. Then all the memories from the previous day rushed into my head. Tonight was my night of sitting at the front desk-just in case somepony needed help after the sun set. Of course almost nopony ever came that late-and usually not very many ponies came in at all.
Usually.
Tonight seemed to be an exception, for a blue pegasus stood in front of me, drenched in rainwater. She was the one that woke me up. Her red eyes were filled with fear and were bloodshot from crying. I'm no doctor, but she looked in shock too. The pony was a teenager, she looked about 18. About 15 years younger then me? I straightened up in my chair, trying to look like I could help solve whatever problem she had.
"Hello miss, may I help you?" I asked in a straight, professional tone.
"I... I think I just watched my friend get kidnapped." she stammered.
If I was drinking something I probably would've spat it out.

Five minutes later me and the girl-whose name was Sapphire, like the color of her body-were sitting in small room. It was the same kind of room that was used to interview criminals. A table with a recorder on it, two chairs, a door leading in and out, and a one way mirror. When I looked at it, I saw a brown earth pony with a untended black mane and two blue eyes looking back. Behind the mirror you would be able to look through, like a normal window. In fact, I had a coworker-a mare named June-watching. She had also had the night shift, and she volunteered to watch the whole thing so nothing went wrong. I think she was just bored and wanted to see what was happening.
"OK, Sapphire, let's start from the beginning," I began after starting to record, "What happened?"
The blue mare took a shaky breath, "OK. Well, at school I have-" she paused, "-had a friend. His name was Bolt."
"Just friends?" I asked.
"Yeah... just friends..." she said.
"OK, continue."
"Well me and Bolt decided to do a project together in english-a presentation on a book about monsters, myths, legends, stuff like that..."
"And...?" I asked.
"Well after a few days of working, Bolt suddenly called in sick for school. He called in sick for about five days. His parents were out of town too, and I couldn't get in touch with him. Nopony answered the door when I came to his house."
I nodded.
"Well last night at around 9:00, he showed up at my door."
"Why?" I asked.
"He kept saying... he kept saying that he wasn't safe. That... that something was... watching him. And that he couldn't be alone." Sapphire shifted around in her chair, obviously uncomfortable now, "He looked terrible, too, like he hadn't slept for days. He looked frightened, and, well, paranoid."
"What did he say specifically?" I asked.
"Well, a lot of the time he said... he said 'Slenderpony is watching. Watching. Watching.' Honestly... honestly he was scaring me, but I let him stay at my house for the night. I was going to take him to a hospital in the morning."
I shivered. Slenderpony? I'd heard of that tale, and let's just say I really hoped the kid was just crazy.
"What's wrong?" She asked.
"Nothing, nothing. Continue." I said, shaking off the chills.
"Well, we both fell asleep at around 10:00 or 10:30."
"Same room or separate?" I asked.
"It's weird... I was going to let him stay in the guest room, but he insisted being with me. He said I had to... I had to protect him."
"Protect him from what?"
"Slenderpony."
There it was again.
"Well anyways," she continued, "at about 12:00 I woke up to... I woke up to screaming from downstairs. I ran down to see what was happening, and... and..."
"What did you see?"
"I saw Bolt. He was pointing to the backyard yelling 'IT'S HERE IT'S HERE!' and when I looked into the backyard... I don't know what I saw... it was tall and thin and... oh Celestia... I couldn't see very well, but still. When I saw it, just standing there... just watching... I swear it, looked from Bolt to me. And when I saw it's face..." she burst into tears, putting her head into her hooves.
In between gasps she managed to say, "No eyes... no mouth...and it took him..
"I think...I'm next..."

After calming Sapphire down enough to be able to leave her alone for a few minutes, I head out the door and turned to June. The light brown mare looked as stunned as I felt.
"What do you think?" I asked her.
"Wow... wow... just... what the hell, what the god damned hell" she said, "I honestly don't know. I mean, to me there are four options. Option A: She's playing a prank on us."
When I looked through the mirror, I saw the blue pegasus with her head in her hooves. Not crying, but it was obvious she was very bothered. No, not a prank.
"Option B: She's a drugee, hallucinated the whole thing."
Not likely.
"Option C: Some sick fuck came over and kidnapped her friend."
Possible.
"What's the fourth option?" I asked.
She sighed, "Option D: Everything she said is true and we are in a shit load of trouble."