• Published 24th May 2016
  • 1,242 Views, 17 Comments

When Snow Falls - Prophet Of Doom



During a peaceful day in Ponyville' The Crystal Mirror unexpectedly powers up like never before' with Disastrous results

  • ...
6
 17
 1,242

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46: Hosts

Steel Wall stood before the large doors to the grand hall of Canterlot Castle. It was a place he had been many times before while on sentry duty but today was very different.
It had been a week since Nightmare Moon was defeated. A week since he released from the dungeons that he had been imprisoned in since his capture in Ponyville. He was due to be executed upon Nightmare Moon’s return when the guards assigned to watching him were released from her spell and let him out.
From that point, Steel Wall took temporary command of Canterlot. A command he willingly relinquished when Princess Luna returned.
That was four days ago. Her sister, Princess Celestia, had arrived yesterday and he summoned to appear before her this very evening. Truth be told, he didn’t know what to expect.

He took in a deep breath as the doors to the hall were opened, with Steel Wall’s name being announced out loud.
To his alarm, the two royal pony sisters were standing at the far end of the hall, adorned in ceremonial armour, that glistened brightly.
Between them and himself where an honour guard. Consisting of all the officers of the Canterlot guard, including Steel Wall’s sergeant, Stern Winds and their captain, Shining Armour.
“Approach, Steel Wall!” His captain commanded.
Steel Wall did so at a steady pace. Walking between the honour guard who betrayed no emotion on their faces.
Upon reaching the princesses, he bowed down on his front knees.
“Rise, Steel Wall,” Celestia commanded softly. “And please, remove your helmet.”
He did so, breaking the armour’s spell and revealing his true colours. An earthy brown coat and mane of white.
“I trust you are well after your ordeal?” Celestia continued.
“I am, your highness.”
She smiled warmly, “Do you know why you were summoned today.”
Steel Wall pondered for a moment, “I have not been informed as into why, your highness.”
Celestia nodded and turned to Luna, who took a step forward, “Steel Wall, your actions after you release from Nightmare Moon’s control is why you are here today.”

As one, the honour guard turned to face the princesses with and an echo of attention.
“Your quick thinking and actions in evacuating Hoofly and Ponyville almost certainly saved their residents from Nightmare Moon,” Luna continued. “And your warning you sent to the Crystal Empire of Nightmare Moon’s intentions, gave us the time to prepare for her arrival and eventually, her defeat.”
Shining Armour stepped up with a plush velvet pillow levitated in his magic.
“As a result of this. It is with great pride that I award you the Star of Equestria,” Celestia declared. Taking a medal from the levitated pillow in her magic. She stepped up and pinned it to Steel Wall’s chest. He Looked down at it with his mouth hanging open.
The Star of Equestria was a simple, unassuming military medal. It was a plane silver five-pointed star on a brass circle, attached by a red ribbon. However, this was a rare medal. Only a hoof-full had been awarded in the last century.
“Your highnesses, you overstate my role in the outcome.”
“No, Steel Wall,” Luna said warmly. “Knowledge of her plans was is invaluable. So you may drop the modesty.”
He took a step back and gave the princesses a salute. The honour guard followed suit.

The princesses returned the salute with a slight bow of the head. Steel wall slotted himself beside Shining Armour, as the princesses strode past, the guards bowing as they passed.
“Honour guard, dismissed!” Shining Armour beloved as the two sisters strode through the double doors. The offices stood at ease and dispersed.
It was only now that Steel Wall allowed himself to breathe properly. Tilting his medal up, so that he could see it properly.
“Congratulations, private,” Shining Armour said with a smile.
“Thank you, Sir.”
“Would you care to walk with me for a bit.” He said already moving. Steel Wall put his helmet back on and followed, making their way out of the grand hall and into one of the many gardens. Shining Armour looked up at the midday sun and soaked up its rays, “You did well against Nightmare Moon, all things considered.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Better than I did against Queen Chrysalis,” He continued. “And you were able to fend off her completely the second time around.”
“I was merely wise to her tricks and was prepared for her, sir.”
Shining Armour chuckled a bit before turning to face him, “You have experiences few other ponies have and you came out of it better than the ones of whom I could list. This experience could serve to help others. How would you feel about taking up a teaching position in the credits school?”
Steel wall was stunned somewhat by this offer, “I’ll have to think about it, sir.”
Shining Armour placed a hoof on his shoulder, “You don’t have to give me your answer now. So give it some thought.”
“Yes, sir,” He replied nodding. Shining Armour smiled and left Steel Wall with his thoughts and his new medal, glistening in the sunlight.


High up in the central palace of the Crystal Empire, Foxtrot stood dangerously close to the edge. Staring down at the sparkling city below as the sun started to set.
“Foxtrot, what are you doing up here?”
Foxtrot turned to the source of the voice, princess Cadence. Who could clearly see the state she was in. Her wings were being dragged around and her eyes were sore from the many tears that had been shed, “Looking into the abyss, your highness.”
Cadence took a carefully placed step forward, “It’s pretty cold up here. Shall we go inside?”
Foxtrot shook her head and turned her gaze back to the edge, “I just wanna be alone.”
“I don’t think that would be wise right now.”
“I wouldn’t worry too much,” Foxtrot said with her back still turned. “I’ve been up here for hours and I haven’t got up the courage yet to jump…”

Cadence, with her fears, confirmed, choose her next words carefully, “Why is this?”
Foxtrot looked back at her, eye-to-eye, “I’m afraid. I’m scared of dying. Scared of what's next after this.”
Cadence nodded very slowly, “So why face death today?”
“Cause there is nothing left for me here,” -She looked at Cadence almost flabbergasted- “My mother is dead at my own hoof. My home lays in ruins. I can never show my face in Hoofly or Canterlot ever again. And Midnight..”
She grimaced, unable to finish the sentence. Cadence drew her back a bit, “Why can’t you return home?”
Foxtrot look turned incredulous, “Please, princess Cadence, don’t pretend to be ignorant of the looks I got from the others in the hospital. They do not see me. They see my wings and my cutie mark, and they see what I was.
I can’t possible go back into Celestia’s service after all this. That makes my life worthless once again.”
Cadence gave Foxtrot a sideways look, “And what of Midnight Snow, what of his memory?”

Foxtrot now averted from her gaze.
“Foxtrot, he gave his life for you. He clearly didn’t think it was worthless,” Cadence said, drawing a fresh tear from Foxtrot. “Do you know that when we considering options against Nightmare Moon, Midnight would openly oppose any plan that also involved your harm. To the point that he would way ’I will physically fight anypony that intends to harm Foxtrot’.”
Foxtrot looked back at her.
“He even made my husband think twice,” Cadence continued. “Speaking of which, I could get him to transfer you to a unit assigned here in the Crystal Empire if you’d like.”
“You would do that?” -Foxtrot turned to face her completely- “You would have me?”
Cadence smiled, “I know the ponies of Canterlot can be very cruel in their judgements but if there’s one thing I can say about crystal ponies, is that they sympathise to does who have dark histories. For the history of the Crystal Empire is a dark one.”
Cadence closed the distance between them considerably, “And as for Shining Armour, well I’m his wife so he has to do I say.”
She followed this with a playful wink, which drew a much-wanted giggle from Foxtrot. Then, however, she started to sway somewhat, “Foxtrot, are you alright?”
Foxtrot was on the verge of passing out and started to fall backwards over the edge. Cadence caught her immediately in her magic and hovered her away from the brink. Foxtrot placed a hoof on her head while Cadence steamed her, “You ok, Foxtrot?”
“Yeah, I think so..”
“How long have you been getting these dizzy spells?”
She thought for a moment, “Since I woke up in the hospital.”
Cadence nodded and began leading her to the stairs, “Let's get you back there. we need to get this checked.”
Foxtrot didn’t put up any resistance and together they descended the stairs, back into the palaces warm interior.

PreviousChapters Next