• Published 24th May 2016
  • 1,242 Views, 17 Comments

When Snow Falls - Prophet Of Doom



During a peaceful day in Ponyville' The Crystal Mirror unexpectedly powers up like never before' with Disastrous results

  • ...
6
 17
 1,242

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36: Through The Storm

Deep in the ice wastes of the north, a mighty door slowly opened in gradual shoves. The door was sealing the entrance to a deep cave, buried in the side of a nameless mountain. Squeezing through the gap created, a pony stepped into the swirling tempest that had taken hold
to the land outside. Checking its surroundings, it could just make out the glow of a large city through the blizzard. After wiping built up snow from its brow, the pony started the long trek through the storm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The icy wind prickled painfully against the few exposed patches on Rainbow Dash’s skin. She pulled down scarf that was covering her muzzle, letting out a large frosted breath. Even in all her winter clothing, the cold was unbearable.
She was standing on one of the many hills and small mountains that surrounded the Crystal Empire. From here she should have had a clear view of the planes below. However, the weather was appalling and visibility was almost non-existence. Dash then looked back over her shoulder, “You still with me, Soarin?”
“Still here, Dash,” He replied, landing beside her. His presence did little to relieve her mood.

When the storm that was now upon them was fist spotted, Candace ordered that the refugees from Hoofly be moved on. With the storm and the real of the city becoming a battleground, she could not guarantee their safety. Many of them were too exhausted to argue and agreed to depart for safer lands. Some elected to stay behind, either to clear space on the overcrowded train or believed they could somehow help in the anticipated battle.
After giving its occupants food and blankets, the train departed within an hour of its arrival. Departing on the southeastern line, it just managed to outrun the encroaching snowstorm and reached the town of Rainbow Falls. The refugees naturally spread the news of Nightmare Moon's return to the astonished residents.
By chance, the Wonderbolts were in town preparing for aerial display. Spitfire rallied the pegasi under her command and moved out, braving the worst that the frozen north could throw at them. A day later they reached the Crystal Empire. After a short rest, they offered their services to the princesses, which was gladly accepted. Being the best flyers in Equestria and proving that they can handle whatever the storm could throw at them, Shinning Armour had them patrol the wastes.

“See anything?” Soarin asked, squinting at the plains below.
“No, nothing,” Cam Dash’s agitated reply.
Soarin looked at her with a raised eyebrow, “You ok, Rainbow Dash?”
“Yeah. It's just this weather.”
“Is that all?” He asked. Dash looked at him.
“Well, it's just that,” -She shuffled on her hooves- “It's been a week since Nightmare Moon showed up and she’s done nothing. I mean yeah, there some reports that she’s attacked Ponyville but since then, nothing.”
Rainbow then turned to face Soarin fully, “All the remaining alicorns and royal guard are right here. So, where is she?”
Soarin placed a reassuring hoof on her shoulder, “She’s probably getting ready like we are. Or, more likely, playing mind games with us.”
“Yeah, I know. I just don’t like being so inactive.”
“Well, we can’t make a move till this storm lifts off. We also have to wait for the others to come up with a plan, if they can even think of one.”
Rainbow Dash gave a confident grin, “If there's any-pony that can beat Nightmare Moon, it's Twilight.”
Soarin gave a contented smile from seeing Dash’s spark return to her eyes, “Come on. We got one more peak to cover and then our patrols over, and then we can get something warm in our bellies.”
Soarin in one bound, took to the skies, quickly followed by Rainbow Dash.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High up in the central palace, Midnight Snow stared at the unrelenting storm in the far distance. Candace had declared it the worst storm that had ever struck the empire. Rumours abounded that Nightmare Moon was somehow behind it.
The Crystal Heart was being stretched to his its limits, spinning madly almost nonstop since the storms arrival. The barrier that normally keeps the frozen north at bay had been reduced to almost the city limits.

Out the corner of his eye, Midnight saw the doors to a balcony open, allowing a gust of cold enter. It was princess Luna, being assisted by Applejack and Fluttershy. The wounds to her chest had still not healed completely and it was not easy for her to move about.
Now on the balcony, Luna’s horn glowed brightly. Midnight looked to the skies as they darkened . The city was already dark, being mainly lit by street lights.
The three remaining princesses had been taking it in turn rising and lowering the sun and moon. It was a message to Equestria and the lands beyond its borders, that Nightmare Moon had not won yet.
When she had finished, Luna re-entered the palace, ending the cold draft that had developed with the slam of doors. Luna smiled at the mares helping, declining their assistance despite her pain. It was then she saw the lone stallion, “Good evening, Midnight Snow.”
“Good Evening, princess, Ladies,” He bowed respectfully. “How are your injuries?”
“Healing, slowly.” She answered. “Yourself?”
“Ehh, I’ll live,” He shrugged, before turning back to the window. The three moved up and joined him by the window.
“What awful weather,” Fluttershy commented, bringing nods from the others.
“Hmmm. Yet strangely comforting,” Midnight added.
“How on earth, can you find it comforting?” Applejack queried vigorously.
“Because it reminds me of home,” He answered, not meeting her eye. “The home I had before coming to Equestria. I lived on an island. Storms were commonplace. I do miss it right now.”

The sound of the library doors opening brought the conversation to an end, as Spike entered the room, “Hey guys! I think we got something!”
The ponies exchanged glances before following the little dragon into the room. The sight that greeted them would have horrified any librarian. Books lay everywhere, in various degrees of condition.
On the central table, Midnight saw could see Twilight, Starlight and Sunburst gathered around the same book, deep in chatter.
“Spike says you’ve got something,” Applejack called to them.The three looked up from the book with varying degrees of confidence.
“We think so,” Twilight said. “But we need everyone present if it is to work.”
She gave a nod to Spike who turned and exited the room, passing Luna on his way, “I'm on it.”
“So, erm…” Fluttershy stuttered. “How are we going defeat, Nightmare Moon, without the Elements of Harmony?”
“The Elements of what?” Midnight asked.
“The Elements of Harmony were a set of magical items that allowed us to banish Nightmare Moon and save Luna,” Twilight answered.
“And we can’t use them, because?”
“The Tree of Harmony took them, and used them to destroy a bunch of really mean vines!”
This voice came with a weight on Midnight’s head who didn’t even need to look, “Hello, Pinkie.”
“Pinkie Pie, please get off his head,” Came Candace’s voice from across the room. The group turned to see her, Shinning Armour, Rarity & Spike coming towards them, “Spike, filled us in with a couple of the details. You think you can replicate the Elements of Harmony?”
“Sort of,” Sunburst said, adjusting his glasses. “By combining a few spells together, we think we may be able to replicate the magical elemental resonance by using series of other spells and the magical well in order to recreate the essence of the Elements of Harmony.”

“Err… Meaning?” Applejack asked, completely lost.
“In short,” -Twilight took in a breath- “Sunburst and Glimmer will cast spells on us bearers and hopefully recreate the type of magic that the Elements gave.”
Candace raised an eyebrow whilst examining the page that they had been studying, “Intriguing. Will it work?”
“It is risky and will require a lot of magic,” Glimmer exposited. “We’ll need to drain other ponies of a large amount of their magic.”
This brought on a tense silence from the other ponies as they considered the possible ramifications of draining others their magic. Strangely, catching many off guard, it was Midnight who was first to speak, “Sunburst, do you honestly believe that this plan could work and save Foxtrot?”
Sunburst turned and meet his eye, “Yes, yes I do.”
“Then you can have my magic.”
“Are you sure, Midnight?” Twilight pressed, not convinced that he knew what he was volunteering for.
“I’m sure. There's apparently nothing else I can do. So, my magic is at your disposal, if it means saving Foxtrot.”
Candace gave Midnight a warm smile, recognising the feeling that was driving his actions.
“Also according to you Twilight, being an alicorn I should have a lot of magic for you to use.”
“It will require more than one alicorn’s magic for this idea t work,” Glimmer added.
Applejack rubbed the side of her neck, “Well, how much magic then?”
“Well, if I was to use alicorns as a measurement,” Glimmer continued. “The magic from at least three of them.”
“So’ me, Candace and Luna.”
“Essentially.”
Cadence turned a concerned eye on to Luna, “Do you think you'll be able to do that?”
Luna gently rubbed a sore patch on her chest, “I think I’ll be able to manage the task of lending thy magic to this plan.”

“Excuse me, Princess Candace, Captain,”
The group looked at the floor above them to see a saluting Flash Sentry, “A pony has just arrived from the wastes and is insisting on seeing Princess Twilight Sparkle.”
An amber mare with vivid red and yellow mane, appeared beside him, “Hey Twilight. Why is the Crystal Mirror in a cave, deep in the icy wastes?”

PreviousChapters Next