• Published 19th May 2016
  • 6,725 Views, 96 Comments

The Villain - Gear Spring



The Mane Six now must face the ultimate villain.

  • ...
13
 96
 6,725

Chapter 5

Dusk falls over the town, sending shadows sprawling along the ground. Off in the distance is a hilltop that overlooks all of Ponyville. Hidden under its leaves, a figure wrapped in darkness watches the ponies go about their day even as the sunshine is about to end. A nightmarish emerald gaze falls upon them. Thorn Eclipse is wrapped in a hellish red aura that reflects the depths of his twisted heart.

I can feel the strength of the others swelling inside, making me feel complete…

The nightmarish might of Nightmare Moon.

The chaotic prowess of Discord.

The deceptiveness of Queen Chrysalis.

The unyielding strength of Lord Tirek.

And the magic superiority of Starlight Glimmer.

All have become a part of me. Where they failed individually, their abilities combined cannot be overcome this time, my sweet princess. I will crush this town and you, Twilight Sparkle, once and for all.

Ponies down in Ponyville look up as they are suddenly cast in shadow. Their precious sun is swallowed up by the black, showering the land in depths of darkness. Then, a cold wind blows through, sending fearful chills. Some cower as snow begins to fall. The storm rages, blanketing the town in ice and frost. Even from his hilltop, Thorn is capable of hearing the frightened cries of the ponies running about as the blizzard crashes upon them like a tundra tidal wave.

The land was once filled with happiness and magic, now only tragedy and strife shall be known within the boundaries of Ponyville. Let them bathe in a nightmare.

The dark unicorn transforms into blackened smoke, slithering down onto the panicked town. Snow has buried half the town by the time he solidifies his form. The draconic scarf whips behind him, snapping with the gusts of wind. Closing his eyes, the horn on his head is aghast in the emerald light of magic. A sinister grin rocks his face as the snow starts to rise, transforming into the stuff of nightmares. Wails of ponies fill the frosted air as fear wrecks them.

“Pain and anguish,” he smiles. “That is what Twilight Sparkle has wrought upon you, Ponyville. If you wish to blame any-pony, ensure that it is her for this day. I will shatter you all. Now fall into despair.”

The screams only worsen as more of the nightmarish creatures rise through the blizzard. Thorn watches as a unicorn breaks through the window, dashing through the snow as fast as her hooves can carry her. In the house she leaves behind a pair of fillies who cry for their mother as she abandons them.

Selfish, he thinks. That is their true nature.

The smile fades from his mouth as he turns away from the awful scene. His horn illuminates once more as a small point on his neck is aglow in the same light. Taking a deep breath, he lets out a sigh that quakes with the power of the Royal Voice.

“Twilight Sparkle,” his voice booms. “Come out and face me!”

He waits for only a moment as a violet image takes flight from the castle. The princess impressively soars with speed, managing to find her way to him before slamming down into the snow. Her magical essence burns a hole in the frost, showing the lush lavish green underneath her hoofs. There is a dark look upon her face.

“So you finally showed your face,” she says.

“One of many,” he grins. “But it is a pleasure to finally meet you, your highness.”

“I realized there has been some-pony lurking in the shadows.”

“Indeed I have been making my moves carefully. Allow me to finally introduce myself to you, your highness, I am Thorn Eclipse.”

“Well, Thorn, what business do you have here in Ponyville?”

“Simple,” he says, “You.”

“Me?”

“Yes, I could care less of this town. I just want to see you gone.”

A beam ruptures from his horn, striking the princess and knocking into one of the buildings. Debris and snow blocks his sight of her as he looks through cautiously. Suddenly, Twilight bursts through and slams directly into him. Thorn digs his hooves into the snow, managing to slow himself from sliding back any further. While he comes out unmarked, there are several scrapes on her side.

“Impressive,” Thorn smiles, “I suppose I have to hit you a little harder to put you down.”

“Please,” she pants. “I have dealt with stronger foes.”

“Is that so?” he asks. “Then I suppose there is no reason for me to hold back.”

Twilight Sparkle is unexpectedly swallowed by the green glow of his magic. She is tossed up in the air before being slammed fiercely down onto the roof of a building. It crashes and crumbles in around her. Thorn grins as she tilts his head, forcing her body out of the rubble and into the side of another structure.

The princess manages to break the hold on her and fire off a magical ray of her own. It hits him directly in his side, but appears to not have any effect on him. She watches as he disappears, swallowed up in the falling snow. As she tries to search for him, she feels a warmth at her back. Turning around, Thorn floats over her with a stream of fire striking her and sending her plummeting to the ground. The intense flames burn at her, and melts the frozen earth around her. She struggles to get back to her hooves.

“Simply pathetic,” Thorn Eclipse walks over to the fallen princess. “Without your friends, you are just a pathetic pony incapable of beating any foe, let alone me. But they are not here, are they?”

“I don’t need them to defeat you.”

“Oh, but you do,” he laughs. “After all, you are the Princess of Friendship, incapable of accomplishing anything without the help of them. It may be a powerful weapon, but without them you are useless.”

“No,” she manages to get back on her hooves. “I can still face you.”

“Listen to yourself, Twilight,” he grins. “Every foe you ever faced, you required their help. Face it, you can’t do anything on your own, not even be a princess. You have always required others to do anything.”

Twilight grits her teeth, “So what if I have relied on my friends.”

“Look around, Twilight Sparkle,” he laughs. “You’re alone. Of course, this didn’t have to be the case. If you never turned your back on all of your friends, this whole ordeal could have been avoided.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Look into my eyes,” he shouts, his voice filled with anger. “The little dragon that you shunned is indeed capable of great things, isn’t he, your highness.”

“No, it can’t be,” she takes a step back, “Spike?”

“Indeed,” he retorts. “Although as I said before, I prefer Thorn now.”

“But why? Why are you doing this?”

“All of these years,” he grits his teeth. “I have been there for you. I have helped you at every turn during your studies with Princess Celestia. I helped you save an empire. I helped you become a princess. If it wasn’t for me, Princess Celestia would not have taken you in as her apprentice. And after all these years, I come to you, asking to be your student. What do you do? You turn me aside for an enemy.”

“But Spike…”

“Oh, and who could forget your little quip Silly Spike, dragons can’t learn magic. Well, so much for your wisdom as a princess, Twilight, because it certainly looks as though I am capable.”

The princess remains silent.

“So I decided,” he regains his composure, “That since I am the one that helped build you up, it was only appropriate that I be the one to tear you down.”

“I won’t let you…”

She fires off another magical beam, but he knocks it aside with his horn. Glaring at her, he rears back and slams his hooves into the ground. Blackened crystals spew from the surface and strike her underneath, sending her sprawling backwards. She coughs and holds herself. Crunching of the snow turns her eyes skyward to see Thorn Eclipse standing over her. Hovering at his side is a crystal spear trained on her.

“Won’t let me?” he grins. “Twilight, you cannot stop me…”

Author's Note:

The series will be taking a little break to work on other projects and to finish the ending to this story.