• Published 19th May 2016
  • 6,724 Views, 96 Comments

The Villain - Gear Spring



The Mane Six now must face the ultimate villain.

  • ...
13
 96
 6,724

Prologue: Remnants of the Fallen

I’m going to make them pay.

All is quiet in the crystal castle. The halls are emptied as Princess Luna carries the midnight moon higher in the star-filled sky. As the haunting pale glow pokes through the windows, it catches something lurking in the shadows. Quickly, the figure retreats to the darkness, where he cannot be seen. While he remains hidden, fierce emerald eyes pierce though the black, giving off their own light. Carefully, the figure keeps in the veil of shadows as he seemingly glides along the floor. At the end of the hall, he reaches a door that appears the same as all the rest. Suddenly, the knob becomes illuminated in a greenish hue. Slowly, it turns itself and opens, allowing the entity to wonder in.

The floor is carpeted by hundreds of scrolls. Some are neatly tied in a red ribbon while others are sprawled open, nearly the length of the room itself. Peering down at the unrolled parchment, the figure glares furiously.

Twilight Sparkle. Is this another friendship lesson you have planned for your little protégé?

As if floating on the air, the figure guides his way up to the bed of a pony who is in the midst of a pleasant dream. Poking through the blankets is a pink horn and a mop of violet hair. He crawls up to the sleeping unicorn and draws back the sheets, finding her nuzzled into a plump pillow. A smile is drawn across her face.

Starlight glimmer, his voice moves through the air like a wisp. The prize pupil of the Princess of Friendship. You seem so much at peace. Have you forgotten, I wonder. The pain your brought to other ponies just so they would feel as you did. Perhaps I can help you remember the weight of your sins.

In the middle of the room, a haunting green glow erupts from the pages of a book as it hovers above the scrolls. The tome is a thick leather with spikes crawling along its bindings. As it hovers, its pages move on its own, stopping without warning. The figure looks back to the spell book and grins.

Yes, that will work quite well…

Pony of traitor’s heart,
With pain hidden deep down,
Relinquish your happiness,
And suffer for all evil,

Starlight Glimmer began tossing and turning in her slumber. The smile on her lips fade as she grits her teeth as if suffering from a headache. A slight groan left her mouth, barely audible like a coo. Watching her, the shadowy figure, looks back to the book. Floating beside it is glass vial. It makes its way over to the spell caster. He takes ahold of it and places it by Starlight. Tears start to swell through her closed eyes. When she turns, a single droplet falls down her muzzle and drips into the glass. Looking down at the distressed unicorn, he smiles. A low hiss slips through his teeth. He and the book both are swallowed by darkness, vanishing from the room.

Out in the hallway, the shadowy figure holds the vial aloft.

And now, the tear of a powerful unicorn. All that remains is the fang of a draconequus. And I know just how to get one…



Twilight Sparkle flutters to stay aloft over Ponyville. Hovering, she looks down at her home, her castle as it also is levitating in the air upside down. Spinning on its highest tower, it looks more like a top. Other buildings have joined in the flying, some spinning in various speeds and directions. She can see that the apples at Sweet Apple Acres have changed colors. Even far off, she can make out the oranges, purples, blues, and pinks. Every color imaginable, except for those an apple actually is. Near the barn there is a titan-sized Angel hopping after Big Mac.

A frown reaches her face, “Discord…”

Through the clouds comes a blue blur that speeds just past her, knocking Twilight out of the air. Before she hits the ground, the culprit swoops down and grabs her out of the air. Looking up, she sees Rainbow Dash smiling at her.

“Sorry, Twilight,” she helps her back up in the air, “It’s Discord.”

“What is he up to this time?”

“Well, it is not what he is up to,” Rainbow rubs the back of her mane. “He’s just…well you better come with me and see it for yourself.”

The blue Pegasus flies off, leaving Twilight curious. Following her friend to the center of Ponyville, he finds the rest of her friends. They all have gathered around the Lord of Chaos, who appears to be rocking back and forth, holding his cheek. The draconequus is rolling back and forth while he wails like a baby. At his side is Fluttershy, who continues to try and console her friend in need. No matter what she does, he cannot stop wailing. A groan moves past his lips, and her hair turns into licorice.

“What’s wrong with him?” Twilight asks, while Pinkie Pie starts licking at Fluttershy’s tasty mane.

Discord picks up his head. Watery, yellowed eyes look at her as he whimpers. While colorful ribbons stream down his face, Twilight Sparkle spies the source of his agony. The large fang that protrudes from the roof of his mouth is cracked.

“A toothache,” Twilight says bluntly, “All this chaos, because of a toothache.”

“Oh, Twilight,” he cries, “I am so glad you’re here. I am in such pain!”

“Well, there is a dentist in town…”

Discord’s eyes widen, “No, not the dentist! Anything but that!”

Fluttershy pats his horns while he curls up and sucks his thumb, “Discord is terrified of the dentist. Um, do you think you could use a spell to remove it?”

Twilight sighs, “Alright. Spike…”

Waddling up to the princesses’ side is the baby dragon, “Yes, Twilight?”

“Could you go back to the Palace Library and get me a copy of the Big Book of Beasts. I believe there is a spell to remove the fang.”

Spike looks off in the distance, watching the castle swirl in circles, “Uh, Twilight, uh, how am I supposed to get up there?”

“I’m sure you’ll figure it out,” Twilight reassures him. “I would go, but I have to stay here and help Discord deal with his pain.”

Spike lets out a sigh, but he scurries off to the castle. About an hour later, the little dragon returns carrying a book roughly the size of him. It is covered in fur and the spine is layered in teeth. When Twilight sees him, she floats the book from his claws over to her. Flipping through the pages, she reads over a spell, and gives a nod before closing the book.

“Okay, Discord,” she says. “You might feel a slight pinch.”

Her horn becomes aglow with a pink light. The same aura encompasses Discord’s tooth. The draconequus cringes as his tooth pops out and falls to the ground. He stands up and smiles. When he does, another fang pops out of the gums. Gong over to Twilight, he gives her a huge bear hug.

“Oh thank you Twilight! You are such a great friend!”

“You’re welcome, Discord,” she squeaks, her ribs cracking in his clutches.

Fluttershy flies beside him, and gives him a slight pat on the cheek, “And no more taffy for you.”

Twilight looks at him with her eyebrow raised, “Taffy, that’s what caused this?”

“Well you could say that I have a sweet tooth,” he chuckles. “Or, should I say that I had a sweet tooth. Well, it was the strangest thing. The other day a huge box of taffy showed up at my door. I don’t know where it came from, but I just couldn’t help but having a piece or two hundred.”

“Well, just try to be more careful,” Twilight remarks. “I don’t think Ponyville could handle something like this again.”

“Again, I am really sorry.”

“It’s okay, Discord,” she says sympathetically. Then she turns to Spike, “Could you take the fang back to the castle. I know there is a spell or two in one of my books that requires one.”

“Okay,” he waddles up and takes it. “I’ll see you back at the palace then.”

He turns around, but every pony is gone.


The moon falls over the town. In the depths of the castle, the figure of shadows has returned. Standing before the thrones of the Friendship Council, he has the damaged fang at his feet. Other objects have been gathered, including the vial that contains the tear of Starlight Glimmer. The dark tome floats beside him, enveloped in the green hue.

The time has come. Revenge is mine, little ponies. You have fared well against many a foe. They were ultimately undone because they were incomplete. Now, I shall craft the ultimate villain against
The Nightmare of Luna,

The Fang of Discord

The Locks of Chrysalis

The Horn of Umbra

The Amulet of Tirek

And finally, the Tears of Starlight Glimmer…

The floating tome quakes as the six objects are enveloped in the green glow. The shadowy figure watches as the items float through the air before being swallowed up by the book. It glows brighter until the green light covers the entire surface of the spell book. It casts its glow over the little dragon. Spike smiles as the spell causes the entire castle to tremble. His body begins to transform. Sinister cackling fills the castle as a new villain is born.